Rockwell Collins Employee Reviews

Terrible company culture and dysfunctional work enviroment, Terrible Management
Commercial Systems - Fusion Systems Engineering (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids IASeptember 16, 2012
Pros – Cedar Rapids good for family life.
Great business growth since mid decade, although doubtful future prospects.
Technical work is boring or interesting depending on role and project (but terrible management and culture is a huge drain and makes it not worthwhile).

Cons – Company propaganda: Rockwell Collins is about Integrity and goes by the book on principles.
Fact: I discovered that for people that are connected inside the old boys/gals circle, Integrity and ethics are mere convenience. They can juggle and flip it any way they want to suit their own agendas. Key people including people in Management, HR and Ombudsman are involved in behaviors that Rockwell should not be proud of. In addition, what I see from other bloggers and what I heard and saw inside the company is not encouraging.
*******************************************************************************
Company propaganda: Rockwell middle managers in Engineering are focused on providing customer value and will put themselves on the line to achieve it.
Fact: In my experience and observation (and getting information from several quarters), the middle managers and long-time engineers are coasting along and need scapegoats to pass the buck.
New hires with experience in other companies are particularly vulnerable. HR mentioned during new hire orientation that it is not what you know and are capable of doing that matters in this company but rather who you know.
*******************************************************************************
Employee is made to believe: Engineering managers and long-time engineer
  more... old boys/gals have good intent but it is just difficult personalities leading to difficult team dynamics.
Fact: There is persistent and deliberate bullying and displacement of talent at Rockwell Collins perpetrated by people who are confident they have the support to get away with it. The support may go all the way up to Executives who seem callous when it comes to real issues inside teams, lest many problems would not exist. New employees especially with experience from other companies are easy target.
*******************************************************************************
Myth: Rockwell Collins has an inclusive work environment. Rockwell Collins has very high technical talent that is above and beyond ….
Fact: There is competition inside Rockwell on who excludes whom and people going to great lengths to edge people out. The rat race is encouraged by Management itself as some others in this blog have alluded to.
Fact: Average talent base at Rockwell. Lot of people coasting along with no incentive to do real and great technical work, and many are doing work without trying to change the status quo. If anyone new comes along that have differing views, then just squash them. Paper pushers thrive. Crony behavior is rampant. Outsourcing to Asia, steep growth and density of foreign workers in Cedar Rapids as a proxy for competent leadership. Rockwell does not have it in its DNA to create a strong global culture either. Foreign workers have complaints about Rockwell as well.
*******************************************************************************
Myth: Foreign workers are needed in the U.S because we are not able to find US citizens that have suitable qualifications.
Fact: Employment of U.S based engineers and employee satisfaction inside the U.S are now closely linked to supply-demand characteristics of the global labor workforce. Management inevitably uses the path of least resistance to satisfy urgent psychological (ego & arrogance), maybe sometimes for genuine lack of domestic worker, by bringing in foreign workers at the expense of building a strong work-force domestically.
If they have any disagreements with anyone, an easy step is to dislocate that worker and get a foreign worker that will obey all commands and orders without disagreements even if it is wrong for projects and products or better still just outsource the work to Asia to improve cost competitiveness.
On the other hand, Respect for foreign born workers is very low in this company. If you are a foreign-born or foreign worker, spare yourself and dont venture in this horrible company. The company lacks diversity when it comes to synthesizing different viewpoints.

They think 'Global' means ordering Asians to complete highly technical work tasks and expecting Asians to bow down in complete silence and respect while having low respect for Asians and looking down upon them in certain disdain. There are many Engineers here like that, if you like that in todays workforce, maybe you should join. But dont expect this culture to last long.

Company leadership is unable to create teams where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
*******************************************************************************
Myth: In Rockwell Collins teams work by sharing, inclusion and collaboration and keep things transparent to all employees. All employees have free and fair opportunity.
Fact: Engineering Leaders buy into rumors or maybe even create them. Rumors are rampant and generated particularly about employees that have innate curiosity and desire to do better and grow, but also bring expertise from elsewhere in the industry. Intellectual dishonesty is rampant among the old boys/gals Rockwell network. Verbal slurs are used if necessary to bully people. Innovation, product quality, product development cost, culture and professionalism are victims along with the bullied target.
*******************************************************************************

Myth: Rockwell Collins Engineering Management Leaders take responsibility, are eager to be on the forefront and have bias for assertive action that benefits employees, products and customers. They like to take ownership for their behaviors and actions.

Fact: As an example, during the new hire orientation meeting, a high level executive deferred a question from one of the new hires to two Engineering Directors standing next to him. Both these Directors seemed to be ball playing, giving the ball back and forth and finally the impatient and frustrated Executive jumped in and answered the question. None wanted to risk giving an answer and be held accountable. So they figured its best to stay out of the action. Point I am making is people are more interested in preserving their legacy, fame and their self-preservation than are interested to contribute and get the job done. Right or wrong for the company or for society, these people in high leadership seem to do this because they know it works and for themselves. This culture seems to be widespread in Rockwell Collins. Now one of those Directors is promoted to VP level and the organization he has left behind through his ‘leadership' is as always in dysfunction.

*******************************************************************************

Advice to Senior Management – This is the lousiest set of management competencies assembled in one place that I have seen.

Bring in decisive leadership and promote people who can execute with the right mindset and reasons.

Do not expect positive business impact when you use fear, intimidation, rumors, coercion and other shenanigans on employees.

Treat employees very well. Dont treat them like sheep and cattle. They are your most important assets. Come out of management hubris and idiocy based mangement into something reasonable for the knowledge based economy.

Command and control style works only in a predictable world where Rockwell can develop a second rate product architecture and then relax for the next 20 years using the efforts as a cash cow. It will not work that way.Take action on employees who propogate this culture. It is contrary to what is necessary for todays global and dynamic workforce with global competition where customers are international.

Give leadership based on compassion a try. Include it in your corporate values. Develop empathy in leaders although it may not be first nature to Rockwell managers. It helps in developing people, teams and in developing products that your customers deserve. It will also help reduce costs. Look at your neighbors and learn. It is sound business practice to learn from outside industry. And of course learn from employees who come from outside Rockwell with a different take on your products and development process and are trying to help. It is good for shareowners.

Start thinking about a culture with global mindset without being completely unfair to U.S based employees. Respect foreigners and foreign born US employees. I mean True Respect! Not show business and dog and pony efforts that this company isadept at. It requires real leadership and not cheap arrogance, favoritism and cronyism.

Embrace change. Bring in management leaders that are reactive and not reactionary and who practice Rockwell values. Treating people who do real work like cattle is not the way of the future for society.

Good luck!
Very fast moving place, always new technology being introduced.
Network Administrator - Level II Tech (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLMay 28, 2015
Daily tasks include receiving and shipping out stock, whether that it is for things I have ordered out or if I am shipping out equipment.

Monitoring and maintaining tickets that come in throughout the day from thousands of customers with issues from software issues to hardware issues.

Training three others that are here at this time, while teaching them on how the process work and maintaining the tickets.

Documenting all work and keeping accurate and up to date fixes on issues that are going on.

Troubleshooting issues that customers are having with hardware and software.

Maintaining a full stockroom and ordering out things that are needed on a daily basis.

Co-workers as of now are three other green horns that are in the process of being trained. I am also acting as the management of this site for these guys as well as help offsite techs with troubleshooting issues (California, Oregon, Washington D.C).

The hardest part of the day would be when I am looking for answers and the closest boss that is near me is located in Cedar Rapids, IA.

Have to really say that I love my entire work day and also the fact that there is always something new that is put on the table for us to figure out and the person to person interaction.
Pros
Almost everything about this job.
Cons
Pay!
Great company culture that fosters a work/life balance
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 6, 2015
The company has been growing and recognizes the need to adopt a more liberal environment that fosters team building and transparency throughout the management based hierarchy.

With respect to the former, the company has been very successful in this regard. However, the lack transparency in management has led to many difficulties in getting critical information through to the proper channels.

Overall, the work environment is great and offers many opportunities to grow and encourages collaboration with multi-disciplinary groups. There are many processes and policies this company has to abide by due to the nature of the business they are in. Government regulations and procedures take a toll on the efficiency of delivering quality solutions but there is a Commercial side as well.

A majority of the people who I've worked with has provided excellent guidance and mentoring throughout my time with the company. There is a steep learning curve once starting but I have full confidence that there is always a group that will provide support in catching you up to speed.

If you are looking for a company that offers great compensation and benefits this is one to consider.
This company is dead.
Sr. Systems Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 17, 2013
This is the only employer I've ever had that received a negative review. SELL your stock, don't apply, forget you ever heard of this company. This company is a bunch of old guys past their prime that like to talk about the good ole days while they sit on their butt collecting salaries for government contracts that have gone over budget while the contracts are infinitely extended. At best unethical and borderline criminal. I had a six month contract and when I saw what was going on there I ran. They tried to convert me to full time after four months but the culture of chronic laziness scared me so I left ASAP. They pay was good while I was there though and because nobody does any work it's very easy to balance your life. My boss showed up for about 2 hours a day. Middle Management is incompetent although I can't speak for upper management although typically that kind of cancer goes all the way to the top. I suppose it is possible that what I experienced only exists at that one location albeit a huge location for RC. I've met guys who are getting to the end of their careers and are just looking to coast, if so then this is the place for you.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
everything else
great benefits good work environment clean
Modification Operator (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 28, 2012
Busy , Learned all types of units. You will learn and get
a veried of knowlege on aircraft units. Soldering, surface mount,
wiring, reading and understanding schematic drawings and
wiring intructions. Co workers ; Range from good to work with
to very difficult. Some of the techs are very competitive and petty
The people they pick for leads are questionable at best and there is
a lot of politcs at times. That was the hardest part of my job was
the politics and overall favortism just a real difficult time overall. The
most enjoyable part of my job was the women I worked with in
MOD and CSR and Parts Room . I made some real friends and are
still friends with today. After 27 years the last 6 years where the
worst because of the new management. The best part of working
at collins was the balance of work and life balance and the flexablity
If your children are sick you can stay home with them If you have
a family crisis you can take time off. why I stayed
was the flexability you just cannot get that in just any job.
Pros
flexabilty of time off life and work balance great
Cons
management raises are minimal
Culture dependent on management discretion
Software Developer (E2) (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 7, 2013
Company looking for young experienced workers who are willing to work more than 45 hours per week. Good environment for young programmers wishing to move up in rank, with nothing to lose. Management turnover is high and tends to work like new presidential appointment; re-evaluating positions based on management discretion and not based on previous positions or experience. Hardest part of the job is pleasing managers; i.e. No job security without good relationships with manager. Find a good manager and benefit from the training and experience in avionics product development, standards, and processes required for SW product certification. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you are allowed to contribute to the accomplishments and success of SW product certification and delivery to customer. Need to embrace self-esteem on what you can accomplish. Work culture reflects the TV series 'Survivors' - need good alliances to survive culture of management discretion.
Pros
good benefits and pay
Cons
working environment like tv series survivors - need alliances
Great company to work for.
Senior Engineering Project Asst. (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 3, 2015
Rockwell is a great company with a fantastic reputation.

​Our Value Proposition for People is our overall strategy to achieve our "talented and motivated people" goal - a key component of the Rockwell Collins Vision Roadmap.
Four broad initiatives make up our Value Proposition for People:
Diversity & Inclusion - Values and respects differences in our workplace. We strive to recruit, retain and develop talent to create an environment that fuels innovation and builds a stronger company.
Talent Management - Integrates how we acquire, evaluate, reward and develop our people.
Leadership Development - Encourages and supports the development of more and more capable leaders. The programs and tools are tailored to meet the needs of individual contributors, entry-level, mid- and executive-level leaders.
Total Rewards - Provides us with competitive levels overall of compensation and benefits while focusing on elements of differentiation that are valued to attract, motivate and retain in the most cost-effective way.
Was a great company once
Highly Educated and Held Back (Current Employee) –  MidwestJuly 11, 2015
Rockwell Collins is backsliding as a "great place to work" and does not offer the diverse culture it purports.

Leadership is stuck in place- upper leadership is disconnected from the talent beneath it. Promotions are based on the "good ole boy" network mentality. Pandering abounds.

Females and people of color get passed over for promotions consistently- career opportunities are provided to predominately white middle aged men. When they lack that type of bench strength, they hire from the outside.

When career development opportunities are sought across subsidiaries or within newly acquired companies, cross functional development and movement is discouraged. Internal politics and corporate culture is acerbic.

Although the standard of living in Cedar Rapids and Iowa are better than average, Rockwell's pay and benefits are not keeping up with the world around it, which is driving the best talent out of the company.
Pros
Small Town location
Cons
Promotability, Pay, Benefits, Corporate Culture
Productive workplace with a manager that did not address the issues that were brought to her attention.
Senior, Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 26, 2012
My typical workday consisted of covering for other people when they were absent, performing my daily duties such as the company procurement credit card that involved auditing for adherence to the credit card policy, reconciliations of general ledger accounts, reconciliation of supplier statements, 1st level of support for the AP call center. I enjoyed my job but did not like how several coworkers took multiple and excessive smoke breaks, or were on the internet 80% of their day, or sleeping at their desk. Hardest part of my job was trying to juggle my day to day job and having to back up those that were always gone due to chronic illnesses. The enjoyable part of my job was hearing what a great person I am to talk to and that I answer questions quickly and precisely.
Pros
learning new things often, opportunities to advance in other areas of the company
Cons
no employee morale
Great Place to work... Filled with comitted intelligent people
Simulation Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 7, 2014
Rockwell Collins is one of the most laid back companies to work for. Dont let the atmoshere fool you though, for as much fun as we have at work we are very comitted to meeting the customers goals.

I joined this company right out of school. I was immediately put to work on some very high end projects. There was a considerable learning curve when I first started as an engineer but in time I got the hang of it. You must keep your skills up to date, which goes without saying ...especially here.

My coworkers are some of the most brilliant people that I have worked with. They are as innovative as they are fun to work with. They are also willing to teach you anything that you want to learn which is the most enjoyable part of the job.

I think anyone joining the ranks will find a wonderful and accepting environment which is geared to allow them to grow
Pros
excellent working environment
Cons
steep learning curve on some new projects
Avionics Manufacturing
Sr. Engineering Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 27, 2014
I worked my way around many parts of the lifecycle of a number of products. Production was fun and teams worked well together and acted like a family. Project transition was a great learning experience, but provided little growth opportunity, and Engineering development, though fascinating, was very limited to those without an engineering degree as the company does not have a PMO - Project Management Office. My hope for the company is that they will see the value in combining Technology Managers with Business Managers in order to allow the Engineering Managers to focus on their technical expertise, increasing creativity, quality, and efficiency and allow the Business Managers to maintain everything else within the lifecycle processes (scheduling, resource, scope, budget, and risk management). Partnering for success is key. Good Luck.
Goals to Support Vision
Sr.Net Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2015
Rockwell Collins Operating System

The Operating System comprises the following key elements:

Rockwell Collins' Core Processes describe our value stream (the flow of products and solutions throughout their life cycles) and guide the creation of customer value
Life Cycle Value Stream Management and Shared Services Management enable the planning, monitoring and maturing of value creation across our value stream
Lean ElectronicsSM supports improvements in our processes and performance to ensure that we continually meet and exceed customer expectations
Quality and Compliance assures that we deliver work product that meets the expectations of our customers, approach problem solving as an opportunity, and adhere to the highest standards of industry, regulatory, customer and corporate expectations.
Complete facility, Everything needed for performing the work is available .
Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 8, 2015
Work with Design Engineers to match electrical connectors to the needs of their equipment. Maintain a library of electrical connector catalogs and specifications. Meet with suppliers to iron out problems. Review lab test results.

I learned about the various test methods used to verify performance requirements. I learned about the failure modes associated with environmental conditions and metal properties. I learned about electroplating as it relates to electrical conduction

Management & Co-workers were always helpful and cordial

The most difficult thing was determining the direct cause of a certain electrical failure.

Successfully solving problems was very enjoyable.
Pros
good benefits & pay
Cons
unannounced visits from suppliers
Good Company to work for diverse workload
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMay 14, 2013
The day started with department meetings to line up our day with the most important tasks first and to inform the department manager of any problems that may exist. I learned what it takes to work for a Worldwide Corporation and the structure needed for reporting purposes. My co-workers were made up of many nationalities and personalities which made the day enjoyable. I learned a lot about different cultures and countries from around the world. The hardest part of my job was when we had hundreds of units to receive. We worked well together as a team. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to work steadily without too many interruptions.
Pros
coffee, bagels, pot lucks, and holiday parties good working environment.
Cons
i can't think of any. it was a good place to work.
Fun and challenging atmosphere
3D Simulation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 3, 2012
The simulation department provided a creative and challenging atmosphere. Every one there loved the 3D technology, and we were always trying to figure out how we could improve it. The pay was great, and the company offered bonuses for a job well done.

A typical week, we were assigned tasks and required to provide milestones. One of the most challenging tasks was to model a battle ship with very little reference material from the client. Fortunately, after extensive research, I was able to complete the project on time with praise from my supervisor. In face, he had me clean up some of our older library assets.
Pros
creative atmosphere, you could set your hours.
Cons
contracts lost funding.
Great employer ... not perfect, but really, really good
Principal Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 8, 2015
I have worked for Rockwell Collins for most of my career. The only reason I do not rate them all "5"s is due to inconsistency in management style and employee performance expectations across the company. In all fairness, this is a problem with all large companies I hasve interfaced with throughout my career.

Bottom line: how many people do you know who have worked for the same employer for most of 30 years AND has very little bad to say about them? Give them a try!
Pros
most stable and secure work environment i have seen (anywhere). good work / life balance.
Cons
dwindling benefits, lack of consistency from department to department, division to division.
Family-oriented and highly competent co-workers
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORApril 11, 2012
Very competent Engineers (software, systems, mechanical, and optical) who were very easy to work with aside from small office politics. Highly communicative and accommodating operations and repair department. High and mid-level engineering management could do a better job improving communication chain, but do a sufficient job in aiding with career development.

The hardest part of the job was accommodating schedules with varying levels of micro-managing.

The most enjoyable part of the job was a continued desire for learning among peers and tool development advances.
Pros
excellent co-workers, family-oriented
Cons
not much room for advancement
I worked fast,safety, and quality.
Mechanic Assebler and CNC Lathe Machine Operator. (Former Employee) –  17000 S.Red Hills Ave.Irvine,CA 92614April 21, 2012
Each day was a realy good,I had very good memories of RockwCollins . I learn very good things,ethic training,lean training,safety training,air space mechanic assy,machine operator.
I had a realy good managers and realy good relationship with them.
I had also realy good relationship with my co-workers,they were very good people.I enjoyed my job every day,every part was important,but, the most enjoyable part was, when I learned new jobs,and when the costomers were satisfied.
My hardest part was, when I drove on the 91 fwy for one or two hours every day.
Pros
we had many free lunch for avery body, and very good benefits.
Cons
we had short breaks.
Fast paced, engineering focused company with specialties in Avionics, Displays, Telecommunications and Radar technologies.
SR. SUPPLY CHAIN STRATEGY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 2, 2015
A typical day consists of supplier relationship development, negotiations, analyzing data, scrubbing data. I currently co-lead an enterprise-wide project that is driving to improve material flow while reducing costs. I deal with people everyday in Quality, Logistics, Manufacturing, Procurement, Enterprise Sourcing and a handful of major suppliers in the mechanical commodity.
Pros
freedom to make decisions that would highly impact our end customers.
Cons
having to rely on so many different levels of sign offs before anything can happen.
Interesting work
Avionics Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORJuly 14, 2014
Development and Production of Head Up Display system components for Commercial and Military aircraft.

Even an experienced technician takes six months to come up to speed. SAP/FIT software tracking progress of computers, overhead projectors and (display glass) combiners and moving units through a series of tests.

Because of the long initiation time the company used to be really good to it's people. It's changing some now and they're taking away benefits and closing facilities to peak their profits.

RC has bought out smaller companies and closed them down in many cities.

I wouldn't work for them again.
Pros
9/80 work week
Cons
management is lost.