Rockwell Collins Employee Reviews

Challenging and rewarding work
Sr Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Company provides more than adequate training for your individual job. Support between sites (for your job title) for questions and assistance is excellent. Management doesn't always pass on pertinent Corporate news in a timely manner.
Pros
Benefits (medical, approx 15 days per yr of paid Holiday), 9/80 work schedule, great co-workers
Cons
Sr Leadershp often makes decisions without fully understanding the impact to the site, Some sites are unique in their products and blanket coporate policies don't always work
A Day In the Life At Rockwell Collins
Principal Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 5, 2016
When I arrived at Rockwell Collins they had new management wanting new and fresh perspectives into it's sales force. For a company based in Cedar Rapids, IA, it was a moment open to attract not the best and brightest but talent which reflected its customer base. There was a big push on diversity and that is when I joined the company. It was a lot of fun to work the company in those days. As part of the national sales force we were hungry to take market share from our competitors. We stretched the boundaries of the company's decades old culture but sales and profits grew. Then they got a VP of Sales who reflected more the old culture and things changed. One by one guys like me left the company. I was one of the last of the group hired during the expansion period to go. Looking at the top leadership today it is reflected of those who grew up and advanced in their limited culture.
Pros
Pay Benefits
Cons
Lack of Diversity, Stale Company Culture
Pay and Benefits are the only reason to work here.
Utility Custodian (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 7, 2016
This company used to be a great place to work until they became top heavy in upper management. The company makes cuts in staffing due to gross over-spending on image rather than updating the most important aspect of the business, production.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Cut-throat mentality of the managerial staff
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 27, 2016
Working at Rockwell Collins is a great place to work. This company offers comparable benefits and opportunity to advance within. Rockwell Collins has a very family like work environment. They are very involved with the community and do everything they can to help their employees be successful in their careers and personal life.
Pros
A company that does what they say they will do
Cons
Healthcare
Fun Place to Work
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 18, 2016
They treat employees like grown-ups. They share information with employees, listen to their ideas (or better yet, actively seek out and act upon their ideas) and assume they are responsible enough to manage their own time.

• They treat people fairly. They pay people decently and give them good benefits, including not only decent healthcare but other even rarer essentials, like paid parental leave. And they use lay-offs as a last resort.

• They help employees with their careers and understand that not all careers are built the same. They have strong training programs, reimburse tuition for education outside of work, have active, well-thought out platforms for mentoring—especially for women and minorities—and provide pathways for non-traditional career paths.

• They understand that people have lives outside of work, and that these lives might sometimes impinge on (or even take over) their time and attention. They realize that allowing for some work-life give and take means not only that they won’t waste time and money on unnecessary turnover, but that they’ll build loyalty and commitment. They know it’s give and take, not give or take.

• They see fun, humor and relaxation not as the enemies of hard work, but as its allies.
It's a great company to work for
Sr Manager, Global Training & Curriculum Dev (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 13, 2017
Great benefits and work/life balance. I formed my own team with my vision in mind. Was able to acquire a diverse set of skills to move faster than others. I'm working with an awesome team.
Great environment and diverse group.
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, OROctober 18, 2016
Rockwell has been a great company to work for with benefits that balance personal life and work life. There is a diverse culture here with people who have experience or knowledge in multiple areas and is utilized to everyone's advantage.
Pros
Alternate off Fridays, benefits, flexible hours for personal needs.
Advancement -Don't expect it!
Sr. Electronics Tech III (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 3, 2016
Upper management has many people in the wrong positions. Your job title does not mean anything. Degree people is not recognized. They place the needs of personnel where areas our weak by helping in the progression for the next project scope.
Benefits
Cons
Upper Management Power struggle, advancement opportunities
A good workplace to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  400 Collins Rd, NEJanuary 30, 2017
* Typical day at work
Punch in go to morning meetings where assignments are passed out. grab your tools go to job site conduct repairs and fabricate as needed.
*Management
I had a good working relationship with management. I did anything they asked. I'm a great self starter and followed instructors well.
*Workplace culture
Rockwell has a good workplace culture where people respect one another and have a lot of teamwork
*The hardest part of the job
Sometimes planning had obstacles that were a challenge to overcome on larger projects
*The most enjoyable part of the job
Working with good people on jobs that I like to do and there was a larger variety if things to do, never boring
*What I learned
I learned several new trades while working at Rockwell: masonry, tinner and HVAC
Pros
clean working environment, good hours of work, great people to work with
Cons
job security, healthcare
A solid company with excellent compensation and benefits
Program Manager, APQP Implementation (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 9, 2016
Rockwell Collins is a very solid company that primarily does business in the aerospace and defense industry. The people that work there are top-notch, and the compensation is excellent, particularly in the geographic location of their home base.
Pros
Compensation, paid time-off, co-worker expertise
Good Company
Sr. Software Technician (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORMarch 24, 2017
Overall the company is a good place to work for, many of the people are friendly and ready to help. They do the HUDs for airplanes, and they cost a lot. Lots of work to do.
Pros
Good pay, OK benefits
Cons
Can become an Engineer
Sr. Global Mobility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 22, 2017
The company is open to people working remotely but the company could improve its medical benefits as the only option is a high deductible plan which is a hardship for some employees.
Career opportunity
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 8, 2017
Great place to work. Projects are well planed and executed. good training programs always learning something new. Good pay and benefits. Company likes to promote from with in.
Good place to work - could be better
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 5, 2016
The company is good to start your career. The ethics in the company is great value. The management is usually very motivating and supporting for career growth. The compensation is not par to the market place.
Good pay
Assembly Operator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, IAOctober 23, 2016
Good place to work but they layoff alot. Hard to get many years in, People are very easy to work with. Company has been around for many years and is very fare with employees, Yearly raises. Good 401k match program, Good work environment.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
layoff
a variety of experiences
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 10, 2017
Rockwell is a very big company and offers a variety of experiences...
There is good and bad management at Rockwell. Overall it is a good company with great people. Sometimes talent is not appropriately recognized, and sometimes the ability to spin a situation wins kudos. I have seen attempts to awe the listener rather than communicating the information clearly. And I have also seen long time employees very appropriately appreciated by their long time managers.
Projects can be challenging, especially when the information you need is not available and everyone is too busy. But there was someone who worked with me to get what I needed.
Pros
Flexible hours, team spirit
Cons
Information accessibility, management politics
Decent company overall. Good ol boys club environment and work inefficiency gets old though
Electrical Enginner (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 1, 2016
Decent place to work. Work life balance is up to the individual. People there are generally pretty nice. Occasionally you run in the "big fish in a small pond" person which is common in cities in the Midwest. Advancement isn't always the greatest because of the Good ol Boys Club mentality there. Management can be overbearing at times. There seems to be many extra layers of management which can get pretty inefficient when trying to accomplish simple things. Pays well however you earned it by dealing with a lot of fluff which can be stressful at times. This type of environment is common amount places that have government involvement. Regulation, paperwork galore! Overall it's still a good place to work.
great place to work and learn
Test Operator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 24, 2016
A set pace, with a daily goal to reach everyday. A fun but professional atmosphere. Always an opportunity to learn and grow. Management always has an open door with good communication. The hardest part of my job I would have to say is nothing the processes that we have are made to make it a easy flowing as far as the build side maybe the part shortage from time to time but other than that the trouble shooting on the test side of things might get a little difficult at times as well. The most enjoyable part of my job I would say is the feeling that I am making a difference whether it be improving quality or the flow of a process but the sense of achievement you get especially when you hear live feed back from customers and upper management.
Pros
the benefits over all
Cons
Don't really see any
On the cusp of advanced technology
Sr. Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 16, 2016
Typical days are fast paced with demanding schedules. Little to no tool training create employee hardship. Employees are highly skilled, personable, and embrace teamwork. Site managers refusal to communicate honest forecasts and continued blame of upper management created atmosphere of gross mistrust of job security. Enjoyed accountability without micromanagement.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
Deceptive "building trust everyday" slogan does not apply to employees
Great company to work for
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 31, 2017
Rockwell Collins has a long history of building trust and working together. The company culture is the main drive to keep people working and develop careers and skills.
We all shared the common understanding of thinking big, taking actions, and helping each other succeed. Also deliver superior value and to attract talents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rockwell Collins. Our community is ready to answer.