Rockwell Collins Employee Reviews in United States

great place to work and learn
Test Operator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 24, 2016
A set pace, with a daily goal to reach everyday. A fun but professional atmosphere. Always an opportunity to learn and grow. Management always has an open door with good communication. The hardest part of my job I would have to say is nothing the processes that we have are made to make it a easy flowing as far as the build side maybe the part shortage from time to time but other than that the trouble shooting on the test side of things might get a little difficult at times as well. The most enjoyable part of my job I would say is the feeling that I am making a difference whether it be improving quality or the flow of a process but the sense of achievement you get especially when you hear live feed back from customers and upper management.
Pros
the benefits over all
Cons
Don't really see any
Typical Big Company
Customer Service Engineer/ Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 17, 2016
The Benefits were great, but the management and bureaucracy left things stagnant and feeling like things would never change for the better. In my position there wasn't much opportunity to advance as the leadership was very entrenched. The Hardest part of the job was answering phone calls with no support documentation and no one to even teach you how to troubleshoot the equipment. no manuals or if they were there they were very limited.
Pros
Shift work differential
Cons
no advancement and no proper training.
Dynamic Team Adapting to Every Day Priorities
Product Manager/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAFebruary 19, 2016
During my 17 years of service at Rockwell Collins, I am always an advocate for change is good, but for as often as they revolved my direct leadership was hindering our progress and guidance of company goals.
Pros
Exceptional benefits and compensation
Cons
Continued change in direct Leadership, introduced grey area of how to accomplish enterprise goals and meeting leaderships expectations
Engineering Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 18, 2016
This company really is great. They work hard to make sure their employees are appreciated. They have a good work life balance and the benefits are some of the best I have seen.
Pros
Work life balane
Cons
A lot or reorganizations
A good learning experience
Process Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLFebruary 3, 2016
A very good place to work with a solid company culture. People was friendly and willing to help me.I would love go go back.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
Short Lunch Break(30 mins)
Great company culture that fosters a work/life balance
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 6, 2015
The company has been growing and recognizes the need to adopt a more liberal environment that fosters team building and transparency throughout the management based hierarchy.

With respect to the former, the company has been very successful in this regard. However, the lack transparency in management has led to many difficulties in getting critical information through to the proper channels.

Overall, the work environment is great and offers many opportunities to grow and encourages collaboration with multi-disciplinary groups. There are many processes and policies this company has to abide by due to the nature of the business they are in. Government regulations and procedures take a toll on the efficiency of delivering quality solutions but there is a Commercial side as well.

A majority of the people who I've worked with has provided excellent guidance and mentoring throughout my time with the company. There is a steep learning curve once starting but I have full confidence that there is always a group that will provide support in catching you up to speed.

If you are looking for a company that offers great compensation and benefits this is one to consider.
Was a great company
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 1, 2016
The company has a great list of accomplishments. They supplied radios for the Moon landing. They pioneered GPS. They are still inventing amazing technology. However, in the past few years, there has been little growth. Pay and benefits lag, employees are not so motivated.
Was a great company once
Highly Educated and Held Back (Current Employee) –  MidwestJuly 11, 2015
Rockwell Collins is backsliding as a "great place to work" and does not offer the diverse culture it purports.

Leadership is stuck in place- upper leadership is disconnected from the talent beneath it. Promotions are based on the "good ole boy" network mentality. Pandering abounds.

Females and people of color get passed over for promotions consistently- career opportunities are provided to predominately white middle aged men. When they lack that type of bench strength, they hire from the outside.

When career development opportunities are sought across subsidiaries or within newly acquired companies, cross functional development and movement is discouraged. Internal politics and corporate culture is acerbic.

Although the standard of living in Cedar Rapids and Iowa are better than average, Rockwell's pay and benefits are not keeping up with the world around it, which is driving the best talent out of the company.
Pros
Small Town location
Cons
Promotability, Pay, Benefits, Corporate Culture
ExSolid Aerospace & Defense engineering and manufacturing enterprise, very good executive leadership team.
manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 30, 2015
Strong focus on developing and engaging employees at all levels. Sometimes slow to change this international enterprise, even with good intentions. Advancement is part who you know and part what you know/hoe you perform, so get to know the players and build strong networks to increase your career opportunities.
Pros
Work-life balance, few micro-managers
Cons
Sometimes hard to get noticed unless you are VERY proactive making contacts.
Avionics Electronics Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, IAJanuary 21, 2016
Best company I have ever worked at. Great work/life balance, kind people, and plenty of opportunity to grow with in. I enjoy everyday I am here and would recommend to anyone looking for a long lasting career.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
I had a hour commute
Great people and benefits.
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CAJuly 21, 2015
Great company to work for. Great benefits, people, management, work/life balance.

Learned about insurances, (life, medical, dental and vision, LTD, STD and AD&D). Policies
Pros
Benefits, Company sponsored events, environment.
Enjoyable experience
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 14, 2016
Quality Inspection Team is knowledgeable and professional. The area is tight but new ideas for more room are coming in daily. The 'ballooning' program for capturing the information required by the 3 forms of AS9102 is different from any I've previously worked with. However there are pros and cons there as well. The Manager of my area is as easy going as it gets. Runs a tight ship and therefore things get done, and done correctly. The 'team' could use a few hours of professional courtesy 101 but on the whole I've enjoyed the opportunity.
Pros
easy atmosphere
Cons
Not opening a position for full-time in this area
Great employer ... not perfect, but really, really good
Principal Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 8, 2015
I have worked for Rockwell Collins for most of my career. The only reason I do not rate them all "5"s is due to inconsistency in management style and employee performance expectations across the company. In all fairness, this is a problem with all large companies I hasve interfaced with throughout my career.

Bottom line: how many people do you know who have worked for the same employer for most of 30 years AND has very little bad to say about them? Give them a try!
Pros
most stable and secure work environment i have seen (anywhere). good work / life balance.
Cons
dwindling benefits, lack of consistency from department to department, division to division.
Great company to work for.
Senior Engineering Project Asst. (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 3, 2015
Rockwell is a great company with a fantastic reputation.

‚ÄčOur Value Proposition for People is our overall strategy to achieve our "talented and motivated people" goal - a key component of the Rockwell Collins Vision Roadmap.
Four broad initiatives make up our Value Proposition for People:
Diversity & Inclusion - Values and respects differences in our workplace. We strive to recruit, retain and develop talent to create an environment that fuels innovation and builds a stronger company.
Talent Management - Integrates how we acquire, evaluate, reward and develop our people.
Leadership Development - Encourages and supports the development of more and more capable leaders. The programs and tools are tailored to meet the needs of individual contributors, entry-level, mid- and executive-level leaders.
Total Rewards - Provides us with competitive levels overall of compensation and benefits while focusing on elements of differentiation that are valued to attract, motivate and retain in the most cost-effective way.
Fantastic Place to Work
Sr. Engineering Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 29, 2016
Culture is hard to accept at times but overall great place to be!
Must be highly educated (Masters Degree to hold management position)
fai inspector
First Article Inspector- . Knowledge of AS9102 (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJune 1, 2016
Rockwell Collins is a company who strives for change and adaptation, which creates an environment of inclusion and the ability to feel like part of a team. The focus on diversity and bringing uniqueness to the group makes Rockwell stand above its competition as "the place to work!" I had only been there a few years and have found it welcoming and an inviting place where my ideas are heard.
A company in the death spiral
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 20, 2016
A company stuck in the 1950's - word and deed do not match and they are driven and controlled from the top and the top is completely disconnected from the reality of what is going on in the organization.
Pros
People in the heart of the organization are good people, who are trying to do the right thing in spite of senior leadership and the culture
Cons
Management, the culture (command and control) - no real desire to change
Happy There
Manager, FOS Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
I was happy at Rockwell Collins and was disappointed to leave when I had to move away. I felt that most of the management valued my opinions. I appreciated the diversity of the organization very much.
Complete facility, Everything needed for performing the work is available .
Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 8, 2015
Work with Design Engineers to match electrical connectors to the needs of their equipment. Maintain a library of electrical connector catalogs and specifications. Meet with suppliers to iron out problems. Review lab test results.

I learned about the various test methods used to verify performance requirements. I learned about the failure modes associated with environmental conditions and metal properties. I learned about electroplating as it relates to electrical conduction

Management & Co-workers were always helpful and cordial

The most difficult thing was determining the direct cause of a certain electrical failure.

Successfully solving problems was very enjoyable.
Pros
good benefits & pay
Cons
unannounced visits from suppliers
Employment only for a few, those in the good ole boys club
Electrical Systems Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 17, 2015
Having worked in the industry for a good number of decades, I have come to find that Rockwell Collins culture has changed, one from being open to new ideas, willing to train and utilize a persons global talents to that of:

foreign outsourcing, customer under-funded projects, and reductions within the brain trust of their senior employee base, which I was one. It is now survival of the few, those exceeding expectations in a dog-eat dog working environment. Sad
Pros
Corporate Identity
Cons
Outsourcing and a changing work environment for the worst