Rocky Brands Employee Reviews

Worked there just because of the location
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHFebruary 9, 2017
When I first started to work there it was a good job they cared and treated their employees good. After awhile they seemed to care just about the money and less about the employees more work for the same or less pay. Most of the people I've talked to there was only working there because of how close it was to home. Really hope they find their way back
Pros
Cons
Lousy pay
Great Place to work
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHDecember 27, 2016
I really cant complain too much about my experience here. There is lots of chances to move up, or into new areas of work and the teams there are very supportive. My only complaint would be the politics involved.
Pros
Great benefits, Lots of chances to move
Cons
politics
Fun to work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHDecember 6, 2016
Many times I worked alone , but when I when I did work with others I really enjoyed it. Great group of people.They want you to succeed.
Applier beware
Territory Manager / Wholesale (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHAugust 23, 2016
Non transparent company, good ole boy genre, led by intimidation and very hostile work environment. Over worked and very stressful. You will not be trained, it is a sink or swim environment. No straight answers and as a sales rep you are expected to also serve as a marketeer, merchandiser, accounts payable bill collector and there is a very hard non communication line between outside sales reps verses inside customer service, management and support. Computer and analytical databases are outdated....corporate greed has taken over and is leading the employees without a single ounce of integrity and transparency....
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Exhaustion
What's a "Weekend" - and 40-Somethings Need Not Apply
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHMarch 3, 2016
If you're full-time, expect the company to demand Full-Time. I worked for weeks straight with weekend travel, with no possibility of "comp time" to actually get a day off when weekends were worked. There are lots of talented and passionate folks working at Rocky, but I feel for them. Nelsonville is only 50mi outside of Columbus, but if you're in the creative or marketing fields, don't expect to make anywhere near the salary for comparable positions that you'd find in the city. This may be the reason why easily 90%+ of the marketing folks are straight out of school with little to no experience. Nelsonville is in Appalachia Ohio, and if it weren't for Rocky the town would likely dry up like many other small towns throughout Appalachia.
Aside from the flexible hours in Summer, where you take short lunches and the workweek ends at 2pm on Friday's. Otherwise, near impossible to maintain any kind of sensible work-life balance.
Great people, great products, but ultimately a lousy place to work.
Pros
Passionate co-workers, Americana feel to workplace
Cons
Zero work-life balance, Zero consideration for worked weekends
Watch Out For That Fancy Job Title / Description:
Inside Sales / Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Nelsonville, OhioSeptember 23, 2015
Upon being hired at Rocky Brands, you will probably receive a fancy job title and expect to be working in an atmosphere of business professionals. Don't be fooled. Unless you are in upper management, Rocky is nothing more than a call center that deals with telemarketing and customer service issues. You will work late, you will work on holidays that the company handbook insists that you have off and you will be constantly monitored via cameras, recording devices and even keystrokes on your computer. Simply put, big brother is watching, listening, and monitoring your every move at all times. As well, the job turn-over rate is absolutely mind boggling.

Just when you think you will be managing your own territory and assisting outside sales people you find yourself doing nothing more than dealing with very angry customers, taking product orders (especially during the holidays) and a doing a massive amount of data entry. You will sit in a small cubicle and stare at two 20" computer screens all day long with a short time for lunch and two 10 minute breaks. (Keep headache medication handy.) You will be expected to make a quota of 80-120 phone calls per day while putting up with irate customers and clients who have valid issues regarding product failure, back-orders and shipping mistakes that have nothing to do with you or your work. It's a race against time and each morning you are back to the starting line.

Then there are those days (and it happens quite often) when your computer decides to crash. You wait for technical support for an hour or two, but are still expected
  more... to make your quota. If you don't, a report will be issued throughout the entire department the next business day and you will be called out for not getting your job done. Lastly, you will have to learn to navigate through a series of computer programs that do not work together because some are current and some were developed back in the 1990's.

The one good thing I can say about Rocky Brands is that they spend a great deal of time trying to keep their "minions" from going insane. They often provide free lunches, great discounts on product, and other nice offerings to let you know they appreciate the work you are doing. Of course, they have to appreciate it because the employees are nothing more than miserable telemarketers and customer service representatives with fancy titles. As well, Nelsonville, Ohio is an extremely mundane place to work.

Allow me to put it bluntly; I'm certain that you have ordered something over the internet and the wrong item was shipped or you were charged too much. Well, you know that person you call to correct the problem? That would be you at Rocky Brands and most times it is not a pleasant conversation.
A good environment
National Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Home officeAugust 17, 2015
Rocky is a good place to work but I am ready for advancement and there isn't opportunity for that with my current sales experience.
Pros
Home office
Cons
My territory-USA
Poorly structured company
Sales Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2014
Under the safety division of Rocky Brands, Lehigh was less than desirable, the division was downsizing rapidly. The company did not look to find positions for employees, build on success or maximize on opportunities. The work life balance was ignored and the operation was unethical without any concern for consequences. Most management became pawns to corporate initiatives with no regard who was effected below them. It was only 7 months after starting that everyone around me was eliminated from the company and I was left to run the local market on my own, shortly after that my immediate boss was let go leaving me running the Pacific Northwest. It was a struggle to have life balance and the constant downsizing with in the company made in stressful.
Cons
Poor company structure
good place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHSeptember 25, 2013
good place to work, good benefits, good coworkers. Location of the company isn't the best.
great place to work.
csr/returns representatvie (Former Employee) –  Nelsonville, OHAugust 7, 2012
steady work pace, shoe industry language, coworkers were very kind, the hardest part about the job would be the angry customers.
interesting work, fun, positve atmosphere.
Pros
summer work hours, off early.
Cons
lack of work which caused a layoff.
Great place to meet great people!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  De Pere, WIMay 15, 2012
Rocky Outdoor Gear was one of my favorite jobs. I was promoted within 3 months to Team Leader and was in charge of scheduling staff, daily deposits, shipping, receiving and merchandising. I was always busy but it was a cold-weather boot store which made for slow summers. I enjoyed everyone I worked with. The customers by far were the greatest which again made it easy to enjoy my job. It was a fun work environment, but it was a slow moving one and I found it difficult to keep the team motivated and busy. In the end, the store shut down due to the lack of demand. It was definitely a great place to work and I sorely miss the clientele.
Pros
amazing co-workers and customers.
Cons
lack of demand which created long days.