Roehl Transport Employee Reviews

Great Company
Fleet Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2017
i learned so much with this company! They are willing to help you grow both personally and professionally. It was a great first job out of college.
Good company, spotty freight
Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIDecember 27, 2016
Great company, especially if just starting out. CDL training course is effective and thorough. Fleet managers are generally friendly and willing to help. The only real issue is freight itself, specifically for flat-bed truckers. For a company that "Specializes" in flat-bed freight, many of their drivers are often ;left sitting for undetermined amounts of time.
fun workplace
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 21, 2016
secure loads and deliver them in a timely manner, travel the 48 states and see many great things. the fleet manger I had was awesome, everyone helped one another all the time. the hardest part of my job was being away from my family. I loved seeing all the states and sceneries I've never seen.
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
time away from your family for periods of time
Need more training
Over the Road Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIDecember 20, 2016
lot of hours on the road and not enough home time. More training would be helpful. Training was soley focused on passing the cdl test but not on actual day to day things a driver encounters on the road
Pros
pay
Cons
time away from home
Top Notch Company
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIDecember 15, 2016
Top Notch Company from top to bottom.

Driver friendly to a fault, programs to assist drivers with repairs of home, car, banking help, etc. A happy home front makes for a happy driver / employee.
Pros
modern freight of trucks and trailers
Truck Driving
Operator (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIDecember 3, 2016
Its the best of the worse you will find in this industry. Do your homework and research your options. Argue on contracts.
Pros
Good miles, great equipment
Cons
low pay
Mostly lies
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 15, 2016
Do not belive anything the recruiter says.....
All lies.
Once it's all YOUR FAULT for not being trained correctly.
Would not recommend
Pros
Super at micromanagement
Cons
Everything else
Cost effective
Operations (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WINovember 13, 2016
A typical day of work, includes leading your drivers, developing a disciplined start of day procedure to prioritize the work load from the sod to eod to get as much work safely accomplished as possible with each driver. Developing a daily game plan for the day, prior to diving into each situation that comes up, this allows you to lead your drivers in the right direction.
Pros
Modern equipment
Cons
Very little opportunity to change career path
productive workplace
OTR Driver Helper (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2016
on the road alot

eat alot

meet alot of new people

its very hard to stay away on the road

travel the country an see alot of new things on the roa
decent starter company
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2016
Not enough miles per week. Low compensation. I did have a good straight forward fleet manager. Nice terminal facilities
Pros
Good equipment.
Cons
Miles. Compensation
decent starter company
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 10, 2016
Not enough miles given. Poor mileage pay. Management was very helpful and did take care of you. They did train me for my CDL which I appreciated.
Pros
My Fleet Manager. Good Equipment
Cons
Lack of miles. Stuck in the Midwest.
Productive work enviroment
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAOctober 4, 2016
My time with the company I stay gainfully active with what had to be done. By picking up and delivering the necessary loads in a timely manner.
You are who you work for.
Driver- Flatbed (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIOctober 2, 2016
Large company was a good place to get a start as a beginner in the transportation industry. The forced routing and fuel stops would put a large bind on trip planning and time management.
Life out on the road most of the time
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 17, 2016
Roehl is not a bad company I would say its average, you have to hustle a lot to get to your schedule appointments on time and living out of your truck can be rough at times, but over all it's a ok starter company for any one trying to get into the field of trucking.
Pros
Money
Cons
Life on the road, showers, laundry are hard to come by.
Helped review applications for drivers to hire
Driver Employment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIAugust 26, 2016
I would review applications to be approved to hire drivers.
I learned a lot of the DOT rules and regulations.
The management was alright. Some were better than others.
I really enjoyed working with the people there.
The hardest part of the job was doing the same thing over and over each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was hiring drivers.
Ok company to work for if you dont plan to be home very often
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2016
This is a perfect job for someone who is single young no children or other responsibilities this would be a perfect job for them if you have a family children at home this might not be the job for you if you like to spend time with your family because you will not have very much time at home once you've even been out for long periods of time so just not the job for me hope you know I might be the job for someone else with those particular qualifications of no responsibilities no children and pretty much nobody cause you pretty much live out of your truck from there and travel all over the US so
Pros
Travel
Cons
Being upfront about signed contracts and upfront important info.
Good Company
Licensing & Permitting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIAugust 17, 2016
Good, solid company. They offer excellent benefits. There is opportunity for advancement if it is available. There are three shifts available in many positions. Recommended.
You really have to mess up to get fired from this job. Good training for cargo securement.
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 1, 2016
Roehl recruiter did a short presentation at the truck school.
Said Roehl turns away loads because they don't have enough drivers, Don't believe that. My home terminal is out of Gary IN.
I started out in the flatbed division. The 180 lbs Lumber tarps where to much for me, so I switched over to curtain side. You still strap your load down. Sliding a curtain is a lot easy then placing tarp on top of a load. DON'T Believe the $1000,00. a week propaganda. Unless you stay out for about a month at a time. Make sure you get along with your fleet manager or you will not get the mileage. This industry is like any other. there is good and bad no matter where you go, or who you work for. Its not the worst place to work. The hardest part of this job is securing the load in freezing temps. The most enjoyable is when I get home time, which is 4 to 6 days a month.
Pros
Safety number 1 - Good place to get started / Training - Bring your truck home - Multiple divisions
Cons
Waiting for loads - Hard to get a hold of Fleet manager - 70hr work week for little pay
My experience with Roehl
OTR driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJuly 15, 2016
I started driving trucks in the 1970's, when OTR meant "over the road", as distinct from "city driver". I ran to the NE and got home every weekend. Trucks were old, under-powered 238 HP GMC crackerbox, but they were well maintained. No power steering, nor air ride seats, no air conditioning, and a narrow sleeper. And most important, no on-board computer. Climbed hills in 3d gear, went down them in 4th gear, and on some long grades stopped halfway down to let the brakes cool (no jake brakes). But, the company gave you the load and left you alone. You called in when you delivered, and got directions for a return load. I later worked as a city driver (tractor trailer) for a number of big companies, including Roadway Express (now Yellow Roadway).

I went on to a non-trucking career, but after I retired, I thought I might go back to trucking. I had to get a CDL, so I went to Roehl's driving school in Marshfield, WI. Morning classroom training focusing on some relevant and some mostly irrelevant matters, with the rest of the day spent on their "driving range", learning to shift gears, back up, and other matters relating to passing the commercial driving test. Little time on the street and even less on the highway. Almost none of the time was spent on practical matters like map reading, using the on-board computer--which is the driver's way of staying in contact with dispatchers--and logging time. And, these are important matters. I passed the CDL, and went to work for Roehl.

The I was hired by Roehl Transport, and underwent about three weeks of OJT under two different
  more... trainers. The quality of the trainers matters, and I was not impressed with the quality of my trainers. One of them had a personality disorder, I am convinced. Lots of yelling and attempts to intimidate, just generally a bully. I tolerated it because that was the way it was. But I learned next to nothing.

Then I was hired by Roehl. I was assigned my own tractor, a relatively new Freighlliner. Comes time for the first load, and I cannot get the on-board computer to work, and have to wait hours to get a technician to get it working (cutting into my allowable working hours from the get-go). Then I find my trailer, hook up, fuel up, and head to Chicago to get a load. Drive into Chicago, wait to be loaded. (By now, 7-8 hours have passed, all uncompensated). Pull out of Chicago in a heavy snow storm, which within two hours had made the edges of the highway invisible, so I had to pull into a truckstop. Took my 10 hour break, got up the next morning and headed for Iron Mountain, Mich terminal to refuel. Fuel pump was pumping at less than 1 gal per minute, and there was nobody in the office and no maintenance facility on the premises. Finally got fueled and headed for delivery in L'Anse, MIchigan. Snow-covered secondary roads all the way. Arrived at delivery point, had to unhook, re-hook to two trailers to move them away from the unloading door. Waited 3 hours to unload. By now, time to take the 10-hour break required by law. Get up the next morning (by now it has been over 40 hours since I showed up to take the initial assignment of the tractor the day before yesterday. And so far, all the pay I am entitled to is mileage pay from starting point to L'Anse, representing 400-500 miles at $0.34 cents per mile.

Ran empty to Green Bay, Wisc to drop my empty trailer and pick up a loaded trailer. Found the trailer, dropped and hooked, and set out for destination full day late, and feeling under pressure. Passing around Milwaukee at about 7:00 PM, made a lane change (after checking my mirrors twice, and strictly according to what I was taught at Roehl Driving School) and found my tractor pushing a little Honda sideways down the road at 55 mph. Put on brakes (hard), releasing little Honda, which crossed both lanes and was hit by a car. Got stopped, ran back to car expecting to find a dead person, and instead found a guy talking on his cell phone. Police came, blamed me for the accident, put the wrong location (a different interchange several miles away) on the police report, and gave me a ticket for "improper lane change". I spent the rest of the night running around trying to find a center to do a blood test to rule out drugs and alcohol. Finally got to bed at midnight.

Took truck back to origin terminal. Turned in my paperwork. Went home, and after thinking it over, sent a letter of resignation. A day later, I got a letter from Roehl terminating me. I pleaded guilty to the charge of improper lane change. My driving career was over, so it made no sense to contest the ticket.

This is not a complaint about Roehl for terminating me, and I do not feel unfairly treated on account of that. Any well-run company is going to terminate a driver who has a major, chargeable accident.

The purpose of this note is to illustrate the types of things that can make the job of an OTR diver difficult, dangerous, and poorly compensated. It isn't just motoring along, "seeing the country". It is hard work, and tiring.
Pros
Fairly good equipment, immaculately clean facilities
Cons
Draw your own conclusions
Know what you are getting into!
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJune 17, 2016
Roehl offers the opportunity for new drivers to get a CDL. They will pay for your schooling and you will also be paid while you are in school as long as you sign a contract to work for them for 120,000 miles. It's a good deal for those that are poor and want to get started with a career in trucking. You should know before you sign that trucking is a very dangerous, very unhealthy and a very hard job with long hours with a lot of hours that you will work but not be paid for. You are paid only when the truck is rolling. Expect to take a beating physically mentally and financially your first year. Piece rate pay by the mile is outdated with the new elogs and regulations. Lots of regulations and you are responsible and liable for everything that happens even if it's not in your control. Expect to work 70 hours a week and get paid for less than 40. Expect lots of downtime while getting loaded and unloaded, hooking up and dropping trailers, checking in and out with customers etc.
Pros
trucks and trailers are mostly new and in great condition. Paid to go to school.
Cons
expect to be micromanaged and monitored at all times, expect to bring home $450 to $500 a week for 70 hours of work, very dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle for low pay, 11 to 17 days out two full days home, corporate bs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roehl Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8