Roehl Transport Employee Reviews

Helped review applications for drivers to hire
Driver Employment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIAugust 26, 2016
I would review applications to be approved to hire drivers.
I learned a lot of the DOT rules and regulations.
The management was alright. Some were better than others.
I really enjoyed working with the people there.
The hardest part of the job was doing the same thing over and over each day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was hiring drivers.
Ok company to work for if you dont plan to be home very often
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 18, 2016
This is a perfect job for someone who is single young no children or other responsibilities this would be a perfect job for them if you have a family children at home this might not be the job for you if you like to spend time with your family because you will not have very much time at home once you've even been out for long periods of time so just not the job for me hope you know I might be the job for someone else with those particular qualifications of no responsibilities no children and pretty much nobody cause you pretty much live out of your truck from there and travel all over the US so
Pros
Travel
Cons
Being upfront about signed contracts and upfront important info.
My experience with Roehl
OTR driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJuly 15, 2016
I started driving trucks in the 1970's, when OTR meant "over the road", as distinct from "city driver". I ran to the NE and got home every weekend. Trucks were old, under-powered 238 HP GMC crackerbox, but they were well maintained. No power steering, nor air ride seats, no air conditioning, and a narrow sleeper. And most important, no on-board computer. Climbed hills in 3d gear, went down them in 4th gear, and on some long grades stopped halfway down to let the brakes cool (no jake brakes). But, the company gave you the load and left you alone. You called in when you delivered, and got directions for a return load. I later worked as a city driver (tractor trailer) for a number of big companies, including Roadway Express (now Yellow Roadway).

I went on to a non-trucking career, but after I retired, I thought I might go back to trucking. I had to get a CDL, so I went to Roehl's driving school in Marshfield, WI. Morning classroom training focusing on some relevant and some mostly irrelevant matters, with the rest of the day spent on their "driving range", learning to shift gears, back up, and other matters relating to passing the commercial driving test. Little time on the street and even less on the highway. Almost none of the time was spent on practical matters like map reading, using the on-board computer--which is the driver's way of staying in contact with dispatchers--and logging time. And, these are important matters. I passed the CDL, and went to work for Roehl.

The I was hired by Roehl Transport, and underwent about three weeks of OJT under two different
  more... trainers. The quality of the trainers matters, and I was not impressed with the quality of my trainers. One of them had a personality disorder, I am convinced. Lots of yelling and attempts to intimidate, just generally a bully. I tolerated it because that was the way it was. But I learned next to nothing.

Then I was hired by Roehl. I was assigned my own tractor, a relatively new Freighlliner. Comes time for the first load, and I cannot get the on-board computer to work, and have to wait hours to get a technician to get it working (cutting into my allowable working hours from the get-go). Then I find my trailer, hook up, fuel up, and head to Chicago to get a load. Drive into Chicago, wait to be loaded. (By now, 7-8 hours have passed, all uncompensated). Pull out of Chicago in a heavy snow storm, which within two hours had made the edges of the highway invisible, so I had to pull into a truckstop. Took my 10 hour break, got up the next morning and headed for Iron Mountain, Mich terminal to refuel. Fuel pump was pumping at less than 1 gal per minute, and there was nobody in the office and no maintenance facility on the premises. Finally got fueled and headed for delivery in L'Anse, MIchigan. Snow-covered secondary roads all the way. Arrived at delivery point, had to unhook, re-hook to two trailers to move them away from the unloading door. Waited 3 hours to unload. By now, time to take the 10-hour break required by law. Get up the next morning (by now it has been over 40 hours since I showed up to take the initial assignment of the tractor the day before yesterday. And so far, all the pay I am entitled to is mileage pay from starting point to L'Anse, representing 400-500 miles at $0.34 cents per mile.

Ran empty to Green Bay, Wisc to drop my empty trailer and pick up a loaded trailer. Found the trailer, dropped and hooked, and set out for destination full day late, and feeling under pressure. Passing around Milwaukee at about 7:00 PM, made a lane change (after checking my mirrors twice, and strictly according to what I was taught at Roehl Driving School) and found my tractor pushing a little Honda sideways down the road at 55 mph. Put on brakes (hard), releasing little Honda, which crossed both lanes and was hit by a car. Got stopped, ran back to car expecting to find a dead person, and instead found a guy talking on his cell phone. Police came, blamed me for the accident, put the wrong location (a different interchange several miles away) on the police report, and gave me a ticket for "improper lane change". I spent the rest of the night running around trying to find a center to do a blood test to rule out drugs and alcohol. Finally got to bed at midnight.

Took truck back to origin terminal. Turned in my paperwork. Went home, and after thinking it over, sent a letter of resignation. A day later, I got a letter from Roehl terminating me. I pleaded guilty to the charge of improper lane change. My driving career was over, so it made no sense to contest the ticket.

This is not a complaint about Roehl for terminating me, and I do not feel unfairly treated on account of that. Any well-run company is going to terminate a driver who has a major, chargeable accident.

The purpose of this note is to illustrate the types of things that can make the job of an OTR diver difficult, dangerous, and poorly compensated. It isn't just motoring along, "seeing the country". It is hard work, and tiring.
Pros
Fairly good equipment, immaculately clean facilities
Cons
Draw your own conclusions
Know what you are getting into!
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJune 17, 2016
Roehl offers the opportunity for new drivers to get a CDL. They will pay for your schooling and you will also be paid while you are in school as long as you sign a contract to work for them for 120,000 miles. It's a good deal for those that are poor and want to get started with a career in trucking. You should know before you sign that trucking is a very dangerous, very unhealthy and a very hard job with long hours with a lot of hours that you will work but not be paid for. You are paid only when the truck is rolling. Expect to take a beating physically mentally and financially your first year. Piece rate pay by the mile is outdated with the new elogs and regulations. Lots of regulations and you are responsible and liable for everything that happens even if it's not in your control. Expect to work 70 hours a week and get paid for less than 40. Expect lots of downtime while getting loaded and unloaded, hooking up and dropping trailers, checking in and out with customers etc.
Pros
trucks and trailers are mostly new and in great condition. Paid to go to school.
Cons
expect to be micromanaged and monitored at all times, expect to bring home $450 to $500 a week for 70 hours of work, very dangerous and unhealthy lifestyle for low pay, 11 to 17 days out two full days home, corporate bs
Good Company!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIJune 5, 2016
Roehl is a good company, with decent dispatchers and load runs. They can do better when it comes to maintenance but at least they get it done. I wish i didnt have to leave but at the time i had a pregnant wife that needed me home.
Eye Opening
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIJune 4, 2016
It was a thrill to travel the country and learn the about the trucking industry from this company. I say eye opening because there are many things you will experience in your travels.
Terrible Place to work... Over 50% employee turnover....
Parts Manager / Fuel Island Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gary IndianaMay 20, 2016
Worked as a Supervisor.... They have no respect for employees... Your a constantly talked down too.... would not recommend anything with this outfit...
Pros
Cons
lots
Great company for new drivers!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INMay 7, 2016
Learn to drive a semi safely and professionally.

Communication is key to your success with fleet manager.

Let them know you want miles and miles.

If you go for your Class A pick the Gary Terminal for extensive flatbed training.

Marshfield for regular solid training.

Benefits are decent.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
lack of miles
False advertisement
Flatbed Driver (Former Employee) –  Nowhere, OKFebruary 25, 2016
First off you don't start off making much, as advertised it says 1100, is far from accurate. After taxes insurance it comes out to be about 700 and that's if you put at least 3500 miles for that week. Second they fail to mention that you have to pay to use Prepass, far too many fleet managers are disrespectful and treat you bad. Final gripe is had to leave due to family problems and was told I had to pay the penalty for leaving before completing miles. Military driving experience was NOT taken under consideration when given job.

ABSOLUTELY NO INTERVIEW PROCESS

Just pick up anyone of the street as long as he/she has clean record no judgement based on character. Racism is a big problem amongst the drivers.
Pros
very few Fleet managers who respect you
Cons
Bad fleet managers/recruiters, full disclosure, all vets get is a sticker
good place to work
lead phase one and safety orientation instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2016
love working here. They care about there drivers .safety is number one with Roehl transport. Great company to start with and stay with.
good for the first year
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIJanuary 20, 2016
If you like being treated as a puppet or slave and have zero control over what you make, than Roehl Transport is your kind of job.
Pros
Cons
Just not worth your time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIJanuary 19, 2016
Trip planning, pre trip, driving, loading material, load securement, safe driving, fueling, load check, delivering, and always curtiouse to customers.
ok
Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield ,wiJanuary 11, 2016
i was an over the road driver. i had no problems with them and they had no problems with me. but i am now lookinf for a stay at home job
A Company that was very strong on training and safety.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIDecember 11, 2015
Driving and communicating progress. Weather was often a factor but we were taught how to handle it well. A typical day was delivering and picking up the next load. Then securing it, and protecting it from weather. With them we traveled a lot in Canada as well as the US. So we had to learn their law structure. We also had to learn enough French to do the job. The company management were easy to communicate with and well structured. The hardest part of the job for me was learning self discipline. The best part of working for Roehl was traveling through places I have never been to.
Pros
Well disciplined company.
Cons
At times it seemed lacked commerality in the ranks.
its a good place to work for a starter
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIOctober 27, 2015
i like the company and its a good one for a starter now just need a local and would love to work closer to home you get good home time if you need it and also have a good north east fleet manager works with all his drivers
Pros
pays good for a starter
Cons
get breaks and the health care is good to
It`s not for me.
Tractor Trailer Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAOctober 27, 2015
They tell u a lots of things going to do,none of those things happens.. Home time,bonuses...etc. Very dangerous,management some very unprofecional and desrecpetfull.
Great overall company, just too much micro managing
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Marshfield, WIOctober 25, 2015
Great place to get started in trucking. FM's are hit and miss. Some get you miles, some don't bother trying. Maintenance is constant issue. Most terminals are slow at repairs. And there is no compensation while waiting on their equipment to get fixed.
Pros
Free, paid on the job training for CDL
Cons
Home time is hit and miss also
Interesting work. I enjoyed working and serving people.
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Central and Northeast United StatesSeptember 17, 2015
There was a great sense of personal satisfaction working at this company. The customers I met and the people I worked with were all very professional and a joy to work with.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Not enough hours
Tedious at best. Finger pointing has replaced honest, specific, and meaningful feedback
Extened Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WISeptember 13, 2015
Unless you are a driver, watch your back- finger pointing and assessing blame is the culture. Management fails to listen and refuses to recognize a problem instead finding fault.
Pros
It's a job if you can deal with the Cons.
Cons
Fail to follow set guidelines, policies, and stated values.
Roehl is a Progressive Organization Built on Values
Non-Driver Recruiting and Staffing Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIAugust 3, 2015
11 years ago Roehl Transport had an ad in the paper that said they were searching for former retail managers to join their team to lead and inspire a team of drivers, 11 years ago I responded to that ad and my life has never been the same since!

I had no idea what a Fleet Manager was at the time I was hired. Through Roehl's comprehensive training program I was able to learn the basics of the transportation industry and how Roehl uniquely approached the business. During my orientation I learned that Roehl was an organization built of values and that those values are deeply held beliefs beyond compromise. I told my wife that I think I may have found the place that I will retire from!

11 years later I have been able to work in Fleet Management, Customer Service, Driver Recruiting, and Workforce Development. I have relocated twice and I have met and worked with some of the most amazing professionals I have ever met. It is an honor to support the safest drivers in the industry and to work for an organization that has the audacity to actually live the values that it aspires to.
Pros
Rewarding work, opportunities for advancement, unique and challenging opportunities, excellent training, continuing educational opportunities

2.8