Rolls-Royce Employee Reviews

Rolls-Royce, Two Companies under One Umbrella
Senior Mechanical Design Engineering Specialist (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Learned a new CAD system NX to go with my previous experience with Solid Edge and Pro/Engineer.
Cons: I could not get the company to supply me with Mathcad or SnagIt, I've had no raises in two years.
I was originally hired to work in their LibertyWorks Division, a separate management structure to work on military projects. I enjoyed the work and the people I worked with. My work was all classified or Secret as was my work at Raytheon.

During a reorganization, a new department was created called System Design Integration. I was placed in this department under new management doing things I did not fullly understand most of the time. This is my experience over the last two plus years. I am penalized for not knowing the things of SDI Engineers because I was never trained nor did I ever want to be an SDI Engineer. It's mostly handling endless forms, no design work, etc. It is completely outside of my skillset. Talks with management, Ethics and HR have proved fruitless. So I'm stuck in a job I hate with no other regress than to look for work elsewhere. RR is reorganizing again and there are rumors of a sell-off of part of the company.

Over the last 15 years, I grown a strong attachment to the Indianapolis area and wish not to relocate, if possible.
idiotic and evil-minded managers
Consulting Software Engineer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 10, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Evil place
Stay away from this place!!
Managers are so evil-minded and stupid!!
Scrum meetings are designed to back stab each other. They are morons and rednecks.
Good Place to work but looking for a career.
FPI Level 2 Inspector (Current Employee), Prince George, VAAugust 5, 2015
I enjoy my co-workers & enjoy what I do but looking for advancement opportunities to enhance my skills & abilities. A career.
Working with a lot of great people
General Machine Operator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 13, 2015
RR is a very fullfilling place to work. Great pay, great benefits. Very generous with vacation time. Management and Engineers can be difficult at times.
good place to work
General Machinist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 4, 2015
Pros: lots of great insurance and benefits
Cons: some people worked much harder then others
I learned a lot of new things which I really enjoy. the work was hard sometimes but I felt like I contributed to safe air travel. my co-workers were the greatest, and taught me a lot. the most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to work unsupervised and still be very productive. sometimes it was hard because there wasn't anyone around to help me solve problems, however it taught me to problem solve. I really loved my job.
Only former military or minorities will get promoted
Process Excellence Master Black Belt, instructor (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 26, 2015
Pros: great middle mangers
Cons: inept upper managers
It is who you know...Only people with a proper pedigree and the right connections can advance in this company.

I learned that large companies can be very harsh places to work.
culture
Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 21, 2015
Each business unit has it's own culture, so some areas are good and some are not. Purchasing area has high turnover, and always restructuring. The engineering areas have experienced a large of amount of employees that have retired, voluntarily seperated, and some that were forced out with more expected by year end. The focus is on bring in younger, inexperienced, and lower salary, then promote rather quickly. No development opportunities for middle career employees. The future seems a bit uncertain given no new development in Indy, and only in UK and Germany.
supervisor and engineering staff was very involved
Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee), indianapolis,inJune 8, 2015
Pros: team work environment with monthly feedback
Cons: workplace politics
. I have been involved with Supply Chain from New Product Introduction, Manufacturing (Planning/scheduling), Procurement (Buyer/Supplier Negotiations), Customer Service (Direct contact with Customer) to Logistics. This enabled a thorough understanding of both internal and external customers’ requirements throughout the organization. My experience in strategic and tactical processes provides the unique understanding of the methods to achieve success in obtaining company goals.
Old School
Buyer, Global Indirect Purchasing (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 25, 2015
Large lumbering international corporation that is held captive by antiquated and complex management ideals and procedures. Change is incredibly slow; i.e. adopted Microsoft 2007 in 2013.
No job security
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 25, 2015
Pros: High pay
Cons: no leadership
Management get changed out like underwear along with temp engineers, hourly gets laid off with no hope of coming back, don't rely on this place to support a family for years
HR is a great place to work in a company. I've met a lot of enjoyable employees.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INMay 15, 2015
Pros: Enjoyable place to work. People are great.
Cons: Working downtown Indianapolis across from Lucas Oil Stadium
I have learned quite a bit working at Rolls-Royce. I have over 30 years customer service experience withing a lot of my roles. At the present time I'm a HR Rep. I've learned about benefits and dealing with uinon and non-union employees. I work in a SAP system. My co-workers are really enjoyable to work with. We have three teams all with their own expertise of different areas. The hardest part for me in this position is when I start to build the case I can only finish it if it's for my team. In most of my customer service roles, I've completed the calls from beginning to end. Doing work the way that Rolls-Royce does it means I don't see the outcome of the issue. I like to follow through and make sure that the customer was taken care of from my point of view. The most enjoyable part of my day is my co-workers and helping others with their isssues.

Thanks
No opportunity for advancement
Quality Inspector (Former Employee), IndianapolisApril 18, 2015
Pros: pays decent
Cons: poorly managed
No job stability. Poorly managed. The workforce is mostly hourly and the benefits are decaying. Just like many other jobs the brunt of cost reductions are being taken from the backs of the workforce. The roof leaks and safety standards are barely met, if at all.
Excellent workforce hampered by bureaucracy
MRPC (Current Employee), Oakland, CAApril 15, 2015
Pros: Good place to learn and carry out some 'best in class' practices.
Cons: Overall not a very agile organization.
Knowledgeable and dedicated employees who receive good compensation but are hampered by internal bureaucracy and industry regulations. While management does encourage 'thinking outside the box', there is little opportunity created to implement it.
Current centralized management system reporting to the UK via Indianapolis tends to prevent early adoption of new technologies/ideas and opportunities are missed.
In some areas employees assigned as Mentors were very helpful others not so much
Material Resource Planning Controller (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 14, 2015
Pros: If you were a permanent employee you had access to the parking garage
Cons: No tution assistance provided but still wanted to promote education, experience counted for nothing if you were applying for a different position, only interested in considering applicants if they were degree
Typical day was informative, colleagues in most areas were very helpful and supportive, since this is a company that is headquarter in the UK the culture is totally different then North America, more of my way attitude and no compassion for employees with families or outside activities, no consideration for time difference, expectation was to be on conference calls on the day and then go home and work late into the night and weekends just to get the job done that you were hired to do.
NONE Productive
Design Manager - Designer IV (Former Employee), Mt. Vernon, Ohio 43050April 7, 2015
Pros: Space Pilot Pro
Cons: The Dirt Beneath the 2 Story Shed.
Too set in their ways (The Boy's Club) hindered by ghost progression while striving to be the foresight of innovation in a jet setting technological environment. MANAGEMENT and it's minions totally lost sight of the BIGGER Picture with the results as follows.
Great Structural Facility, Very little transparency, and managerial support
Aerospace Turbine Blade Precision Welder (Current Employee), Prince George, vaApril 6, 2015
The Facility was well maintained, clean, and in a good location, management planning and support was lacking in transparency and communication.
World Class Gas Turbine Manufacturer
Senior Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 1, 2015
Pros: One of the best gas turbine manufacturers in the world.
Cons: Still has some old culture that holds it back in some areas.
Rolls, when I first got there, was stuck in the dark ages and had let the UAW control their every move. With time they began to advance, especially in the manufacture of turbine hardware.
They gave me the opportunity to create a new turbine blade grinding cell, which turned out to be world class and has been copied many times by other companies.
Great Career!
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 19, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule, varied duties, new opportunities
Ability to work in different areas/departments allowed me to gain broad experience in both development and manufacturing.
Fast Paced quality driven environment
Documentation Controller (Former Employee), Mt. Vernon OhioMarch 16, 2015
Pros: teamwork
Cons: not personal enough
Fast paced team environment with members responsible for multi project tasks daily. Employees expected to take on additional duties without compensation.
Company appreciation lunches
Warehouse Employee (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: incentivies
Cons: managment uncertaninty at times.
Company has a great deal of fringe benefits to offer to their union employees. Provides cross training when needed. Each day presented you with a challenge. Great place to work.