Ronald McDonald House

Ronald McDonald House Employee Reviews

Warm inviting work environment
Assistant Manager of Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 11, 2014
Your day was always different nothing typical. As a front office manager your day included updates on families that were staying in the RM House for local treatment of a child. Whether it was day surgery or long term stays or care flights to our local hospitals.
Making assessments on our current availability and future stays.
I learned that no matter what our day to day worries are their are people out there that are dealing with the suffering of a child and my issues are just not that important and the job that I an doing will allow me to help so many. I learned a lot from my co-workers they worked together at all time to insure these families didn't have t worry about a place to lay their heads when they were to tired to go on. The hardest part of my job was helping a family that had loss a child prepare to go home without them. Gathering there belongings and seeing them off. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how happy and relaxed the families were in the house after planned activities with incoming scheduled groups. No matter what their condition the kids they just wanted to be normal and have fun. Seeing those parents smiles helped make the job a place to call home away from home.
Pros
getting to provide families piece of mind and safe environment
Cons
havig to inforce policy in lite of their given situations.
Fun.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 6, 2014
While working at Ronald McDonald house I loved everything about it. All of the team members and guests were nothing but nice while working there. Answering phone calls, and being able to see families leave to go home with their now healthy children was the main thing I loved about my job. Among being with the team members my co-workers were people I looked forward to seeing when I'd walk in. There were plenty of days I went in stressed and I was able to enjoy my job. Even on days when families lost one of their loved ones while staying there, as members we helped them through their tough time and made sure they were able to get anything and everything they needed. Ronald McDonald house made me grow up and see things I never thought I would, which is why I recommend anyone who's ever looking to help one another to go volunteer there, they're never going to turn someone away if they're willing to help.
Pros
helping people, getting experience
Cons
seeing families leave without their children.
Excellent program providing vital humanitarian relief to families
Director of Development/ Phila (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2015
One need only visit the Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House, (the house that love built) to see that it does radiate that love. Families spend brief to long periods of time in clean and attractive sleeping areas while their children receive medical care at the local children's hospital. While at the PRMH, families also receive support from staff as well as excellent home-cooked meals mostly provided by civic, religious and educational groups who bring the food and use the in house kitchen to cook a nurturing meal. Families eat together which gives them a place to share support from other families staying at the house. Its truly inspiring to see the healing support that is shared and given.
Pros
Inspiring to see how families fight for their children and support one another
Cons
Emotionally difficult to witness the trials families must endure
Mission to provide a "home away from home" was a rewarding aspect to meet the needs of families
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 2, 2015
I found my job to be very rewarding but challenging at times. Parents and families in crisis have different needs and respond differently to patient/family events. Management was very supportive. My job entailed working at night and at times there were emergency situations I had to respond to. I enjoyed meeting families and siblings of patients. At times, there were grief situations and it was important for me to recognize the pastoral needs of families as well as volunteers that had been working with a family. I created a database for a yearly remembrance card to be sent to the family.
Pros
Management was supportive as were volunteers.
Cons
Working at night didn't give me the opportunity to meet the daytime volunteers.
Fun Work Place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 22, 2013
• A typical day at work consisted of reading to the children and families whom resided in the Ronald McDonald House.
• I learned that life is a special thing to cherish your family and friends because anything can happen, watching those families from different cities coming to live in the house to support and be by their child/children’s side.
• Management was very fun she welcomed us with open arms and explained this very well.
• My co-workers were a range of different ages a few my age we enjoyed what we did and each other as well.
• The hardest part of my job was seeing the sick children and not being able to really help them nor their families.
• The part I enjoyed about my job was getting to see the children smile when I read them a book or played games with them.
This job help me to see how management skills can help your overall self confidence as a person and abilities to perform in any profession.
Guess Service Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 26, 2014
This job has helped me to manage my time and confront situations at hand on a need too basis. I have also learned to think things through before making a concrete decision. Some situations have called for having to read materials before contacting someone for help. Communication is key when you are the only one on the job site. A good re-pore with your co-workers helps make your job easier. The hardest part of the job was having to figure things out that you weren't familiar with before you asked for help. The most enjoyable part of the job helping and comforting someone in a time of need.
GREAT place to volunteer for!!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hines, ILJuly 11, 2012
This is an amazing place to VOLUNTEER for because you learn so much about so many people. you feel a sense of greatness and is very happy when you know you are helping families that need it the most . Ronald McDonald House is a place where families with sick children stay while their child is in the hospital. Basically you can cook for the families, do house chores, and just make sure the house is as clean as possible for them. I loved being here and usually worked alone. you of course dont get paid and it really doesnt matter because it was such a fulfilling thing to do. VERY easy job no hard labor and everyone should do it at least once in their life.
Pros
you get the true love in your heart for helping!
Productive and free lunches on the company
Weekend Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 15, 2013
My typical day at work includes auditing accounts and verifying cosmotologist licenses. I learn to deal with different personalities and working in a stressful environments. Working with management is great because she has an open door policy. My co-workers are outgoing and loving people to be around. The hardest part of my job is when the computer system crashes. I enjoy meeting and learning new and exciting ways to complete daily assignments.
Pros
fleixable schedule and more job opportunity
Cons
co workers that don't want to do their jobs and bad attitudes.
Volunteer in the playroom
Playroom Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 19, 2013
I volunteer every other Saturday night from 6 to 9 in the playroom of the Ronald McDonald House. I play with the children, do arts and crafts with them, play board games, or help them put on a show and dress up. I have learned to not take things for granite because these kids go through some really tough things. I absolutely love being with the children and watching them enjoy themselves. It can be very sad and overwhelming but it is important to not let the children see that and to bring an upbeat positive energy to them.
Pros
seeing the smiles on the children's faces
Cons
it can be sad at times
It was a great experience!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 18, 2012
I only volunteered there for the day long event. When I walked in I was put straight to work! I loved it I learned how to make various new dishes and everyone patients and employees included were very nice and welcoming. The orchestrator of the event was very nice and helpful. I would say the hardest part of the job was seeing the families off. After the families ate they left and I really enjoyed meeting them. It is hard to pick the most enjoyable part of the day, but I would say getting to see the satisfaction on the families faces. All in all I really enjoyed volunteering for this event.
Positive setting. Tend to patients of St. Jude and their families.
Shift Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 31, 2015
I monitor the front desk and help the children and their families in anyway that I'm capable. I've learned patience, understanding, and ambition. It's a very friendly place to be. I get the most out of being able to help people and put joy in peoples lives when there may not be much at the time. Creating a friendship with the families can be bittersweet at times.
Pros
Doing what I can to help the families. Creating less stress for the families.
Cons
It can be very stressful and hectic, Hearing about patients that have passed away is extremely difficult.
fun work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 16, 2013
In a typical day I would facilitated activities with ill children, maintained cleanliness of house, assisted parents in transporting child to hospital, answered phones, gave tours and greeted visitors of the house. My supervisor would teach me how to talk to kids and make them feel better about themselves. The hardest part of the job was to see parents struggle with their sick kids, but it made you feel better when you could helped them with any little thing that would make a huge impact for them.
Pros
great learning experience
Completely inadequate management that is self serving
Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 8, 2016
Loved the mission, loved the job, the management, however left very much to be desired.
A typical day was non-existant, maybe one of the reasons I enjoyed the work, unfortunately the "Executive Director" felt threatened by anyone that might have better ideas or experience than she, so rather than appreciate the contributions of others, she shuts them out and makes their life miserable.
Productive workplace and great interactions
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVFebruary 12, 2014
A typical day would entail answering phones, assisting clients, and helping the guests that were staying keep the house clean and in good condition.
While working there I learned that it is hard to please everyone and that sometimes you have to do your best and hope they are understanding
The hardest part of my job was when I had to tell guests they had to leave due to violating the rules
Fun and rewarding experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 17, 2013
Worked with a fine staff who were very uplifting personalities. Wrote hand-written thank yous for supporters to the Ronald McDonald House.

The hardest part of the job was when the job ended and all the thank yous were completed. The enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was going to make someone's day by getting an unexpected thank you in the mail.
Pros
uplifting others
Cons
temporary position
The Ronald McDonald House in Winston Salem is a peaceful haven for families in need.
Guest Service Manager PRN (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 18, 2014
This was probably my most interesting position. I met and worked with the most interesting individuals. The work was not stressful but I felt fulfilled as a Ronald McDonald House employee.
Pros
i was able to work with folks from all walks of life.
Cons
unable to leave the property for 48 hours at a time.
Great place to volunteer with lots of small jobs.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 12, 2013
Volunteering here gave me a good amount of experience in fixing small things and cleaning all parts of a house. My jobs ranged anywhere from changing a light bulb to raking leaves to cleaning floors. I had a great time learning how to do different tasks and the friendly management helped make that possible.
Pros
plenty of work
Volunteering at RMHC
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 12, 2015
A typical volunteer day at the house included: cleaning vacant rooms, emptying refrigerator, cleaning kitchen, and assisting guests with anything necessary. Eventually, I was left in charge when the manager had to step out. At that time, I would answer phone calls, manage check in and check out, and assist with deliveries and guests.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYAugust 2, 2014
I had just been a volunteer but I learned a great deal about the world, different cultures as well as responsibility, hard work and dedication.
I had the chance to
• Interacted with families from around the world
• Helped to settle families into rooms and provide assistance to make them comfortable
• Answered phones and greeted visitors
A productive and rewarding place to work
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 19, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job were the young people and their families I was able to assist. Even though the kids were terminally ill, they were some of the brightest, energetic, and powerful kids anyone would ever meet in their lives.
Pros
being able to cater to the families of ill children
Cons
short breaks

4.6