Room & Board

Room & Board Employee Reviews

Refrain from applying here
MQ, DRIVER, JANITOR (Current Employee), Torrance, CAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Paid Vacation and 401K Match
Cons: Everything Else
I first want to clarify that I can only speak for the Southern California Distribution Center. I have not worked for any of the other sectors or locations of Room & Board, and I would not make the assumption that their situation is the same as my own.

If you value your self-worth and are looking for a true career, please do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. I speak from experience and would – more... only speak so dreadfully to warn those who may make this career mistake.

At the Torrance location, the leadership team are the epitome of Horrible Bosses. They are a walking contradiction of Room & Board's Guiding Principles and Philosophies. The leadership team cares very little of your personal life, and will use you for their own selfish needs; often times making subordinates perform their job functions. If you openly question their authority/decisions, it often results in disciplinary action. The Leadership team also makes it a point to hold down members of their location. The wage increases are minimal, advancement opportunities are nonexistent, and monetary benefits from the Central Offices are often withheld.

Beyond Management, the Torrance Distribution Center is still a poor career choice. The culture of the employees is sour and depression, and it continues to further decay. It permeates from most of the employees and follows you home. You will find yourself dreading the return to work shortly after you leave for the weekend. This results in many members of the Torrance location lacking motivation, desire, and the will to maintain this career path. Most veteran members of the Distribution center (myself included) are actively seeking employment in other companies and career fields. Unfortunately, this job presents few valuable transferable career skills.

I came to Room & Board with high hopes, goals, and ambitions, and the promises of career advancement and growth. Those traits were stripped away slowly, and replaced with resentment, anger, and frustration. It leaves me now battered and worn, mentally aged beyond my physical years. If I can save you from the same damage, I will gladly do so. – less
Amazing group of people
Design Associate (Current Employee), Soho NYMay 6, 2015
Pros: Great work environment
I can't say enough great things bout Room and Board. They care about their employees and we are all a fabulous team. Everyone is so different, unique, and creative. Leadership is so approachable and willing to help you with anything you need. I can honestly say I enjoy going to work.
RE. Merchandise Quality of furniture.
Merchandise Quality (Former Employee), Torrance, CAJuly 4, 2014
Pros: vacation, decent pay, decent heatlh care
Cons: management is cheap and worthless, no advancement, very little raise per yr, zero concern for family and personal life
After reading review titled "Merchandise Quality of furniture." I had to write a review. Working in the position currently its obvious someone from management wrote that review. Coworkers are great. Management is not though. As far as the comment about there when you need them for support and questions. Yes, they are always at there desk just look at their internet history and their large checks they cash that they don't deserve for proof. We are supposed to "peer manage" so what you would go to them with questions or concerns for is beyond me. There are no monthly BBQ's either. Its more like once every year right while someone from Golden Valley headquarters is there so they can continue to pull the the smoke and mirrors routine.
Distribution centers and stores are 100% opposite of the corporate office.
associate (Former Employee), distribution centerMay 26, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: management is cheap, no advancement, very little raise per yr, zero concern for family and personal life
Room and Board has a great buiness. Overall they are a terrific company IF you work in Golden Valley headquarters. D.C's revolve around rushing to beat the clock everyday and safty is never a concern. If you are behind they will start turnning lights off to make you rush faster. Equipment breaks down, and bigger heavier furniture is placed in difficult areas because management WILL NOT take the time or follow procedures to communicate with a "warehouse associate" to address a problem; employees are never listened to, tons of problems, but that takes time to correct; and working here, any time over 8 hrs is unacceptable. Good luck dealing with management.
Merchandise Quality of furniture.
Warehouse Quality Associate (Former Employee), Lake Forest, CAOctober 29, 2013
Pros: pay, management, culture, work life v. home life
Cons: advancement (small company)
I loved this job, and the people that I worked with and for. I had so much fun, and looked forward everyday to work. It was tough some days but my co workers rocked. The pay when I left was almost at $20 an hour, 3 weeks vacation, health insurance, and weekends off. Once every 6 weeks I worked a Saturday, but even that day was fun. Management took care of us, BBQ's once a month, Angel games in the summer, X-Mas parties, and a bonus. We clocked out by 2:30 everyday and had the rest of the day. Management left us alone and let us do our job, but was also there when we need them for questions, and support.
Great benefits and pay horrible leadership.
Delivery Associate (Current Employee), Torrance, CADecember 3, 2012
Pros: pay and benefits.
Cons: no lunch or breaks if your a driver. doing the other hourly paids jobs
Typical day at work starts at 6:00am. I have learned alot about furniture particularly R&B furniture. Management is my only gripe really. Completely worthless to say the least. Im not even sure my manager has hands. I have never seen them out of his pocket. I think that says it all. Being that we have a "peer managing" style in effect im not sure what the use is of management. This company would run better without certain managers. Co workers are great for the most part. Its a rewarding job great furniture nice customers. I do not enjoy doing my job just to come back and do others job that "milk" the clock since they are hourly and delivery is salary.
Headquarters