Ropes & Gray Employee Reviews

Was always respected and praised
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2017
Busy, but always ready to learn more
Trust, partnerships, gift taxes, different software
Management was very good, very helpful
We often had tasks to learn which was fine
Traveling into Boston everyday early morning and late nights and trying to bring up three children
Again doing taxes.
Pros
Nice
This firm had great medical benefits and pension.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2017
I was grandfathered into this firm with the partner I worked with at Proskauer. I loved my job because it was very diverse. I worked with the partner that was the head of the healthcare division in the NYC office. We joined this firm at the beginning of HIPAA which was very interesting. The hardest part of the job I would say was the amount of billing I had to do on a monthly basis. At Proskauer we had billing coordinators to do this job. I enjoyed working with the attorneys I was assigned to.
Pros
Good health benefits and a pension plan.
Cons
No cons.
Interacting with customers
Pantry Attendant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2016
Able to meet and speak to many great individuals throughout my work day. Always giving having positive outlooks on the day.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Great
Site Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Great company, awesome benefits and excellent people. The work is manageable and the company concerns themselves with the health of their employees.
Pros
Great Benefits, and great people
Cons
Some politics
Lacks Staff Development Initiatives
Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2016
Majority of the training is catered towards attorneys/legal services. If you're working within any of the other departments such as: Practice Development, Finance, Tech support then you're not a priority. I don't know how the company plans on retaining talent, especially younger generations, if it doesn't offer some way to transition from one department to another. Furthermore, the trainings that they offer are ok. R&G is not the company for you if you're someone that is young, eager to learn and would like to develop the necessary skills to stay competitive within this job market.
Not bad for big law
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2016
Ropes is a great place to start your legal career, but it is still Big Law. It's easy to fall through the cracks. The associates are great, but the partners are less so. The culture seemed better than that of others firms from what I have heard from friends. However, the atmosphere is a big passive aggressive and the feedback they provide isn't very helpful.
Great corporate law firm
Assisted Officer Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2016
Wonderful, professional law firm. Great attorneys and very nice atmosphere to work. Would love to work there again. Many pros here, no cons.
Typical day at work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Assisted attorneys in daily activities to operate their legal practice; answered phones, word processing, billing, filing.
The worst Company I have ever worked for in my life. Slave drivers unless they are afraid of you they won't bother those ones!
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 17, 2015
The attorneys are rude and ignorant and treat the staff so disrespectful it's a disgrace that they are even still practicing for the abuse the partners give their secretaries!
Pros
Not one pro I can even slightly put here
Cons
Too many to name
How can we make the partners more money???
Staff (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 26, 2015
Thats the theme of the town hall meetings at Ropes. If you work on the staff side of this place you might as well be part of the furniture for all the respect you'll get. They support mediocrity and favor brown nosing, so unless you're willing and able to do some serious butt kissing, don't bother. Also, they'll suck you in by promising promotions that they will never give you. Unless you're a partner here, you are not treated well at all. The benefits are great, and the pay isn't bad, but they completely screw you as soon as you show them you have any type of integrity or work ethic. If you have any type of ambition at all, go somewhere else.
Pros
good benefits, decent pay
Cons
no respect, outright lies, favoritism
Not a lot going on...pay or work wise
Legal Secretary (Litigation) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2015
Work day is 9-5. Location is great, right over Macy's!! Commute is awesome. Good people but absolutely no challenge...unless you like answering phones and watching paint dry.
Pros
Free oatmeal, soup, coffee, tea, etc.
Cons
Micromanager with no work to do.
Great mentors, the hours of operation were perfect for me.
Billing Coordinator Contractor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 21, 2015
I learned the process of billing using Elite and the EBillingHub.
All of the co-workers were wonderful to work with.
I enjoyed the entire office atomosphere.
Pros
Monthly golf, get a hole in one, you were allowed to leave early for the day.
It is a great environment to work
Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 19, 2012
Ropes And Gray is great company and great management. It is everything anybody would ask for. The only reason I am looking around is because I am a temp in there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ropes & Gray. Our community is ready to answer.

Ropes & Gray Reviews by Location