Ropes & Gray Employee Reviews

This place literally makes me contemplate suicide
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2018
I thought I understood stress, and then I got a job here. I had NO idea what being stressed was like before I started working here. My single greatest regret in life is taking this job. The management is abysmal, and only those who play the brownnosing game will actually get promoted. If you have any kind of integrity, you won't last here.
Pros
Cons
all
Great Job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2018
Amazing management and great experience. Not necessarily your last job, but it will be your most beneficial job. Anyone who has a chance and is ready for high paced legal work should try to work here.
Average Law Firm
Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2017
Although the Firm boasts of its culture it's no different than any other big law firm, long hours, too many layers of management etc. Also, the salary is way lower than most big law firms.
Pros
flexible as to work hours
Cons
very reactionary management
Nice Place to work
Proposal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2017
Not a bad place to work, but definitely boring, dry, and monotonous. Culture heavily favors partners, everyone else is a tier below. It was not a terrible experience
Excellent place to work; room for advancement
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 11, 2017
Great office space. New building
I learned to be a legal secretary. I went in with no legal experience.
Great management/human resources.
The commute was the hardest part of the job.
I loved the people I worked with
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
commute
Case Assistant
Litigation Case Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 19, 2017
I had a pleasant experience working at Ropes. For a BigLaw law firm, it was much more relaxed. You work long hours, as expected. The cafe is amazing and the people are really nice.
Great place to work for paralegal and staff.
IP Docketing Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 13, 2017
My regular day includes all kinds of IP Docketing tasks using several different systems. Most days went by quickly and were very full.
I learned a lot regarding foreign country laws.
Management has room for improvement.
Workplace culture is serious and very little interaction between attorneys and my department.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with management's struggles with codifying and being consistent with docketing procedures.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being paid well for demanding work.
Pros
Great IT support, excellent cafeteria in Boston, "Can Do" culture.
Cons
Management could improve.
Excellent Place to work
Conference Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 13, 2017
I've had a positive experience here. Unfortunately, it's been difficult for me to transition into different roles- that's why I'm looking for an opportunity elsewhere.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Difficult to advance.
Was always respected and praised
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2017
Busy, but always ready to learn more
Trust, partnerships, gift taxes, different software
Management was very good, very helpful
We often had tasks to learn which was fine
Traveling into Boston everyday early morning and late nights and trying to bring up three children
Again doing taxes.
Pros
Nice
Unfair working conditions
Employee (Current Employee) –  WasJanuary 26, 2017
This company has a habit of treating staff poorly. The management expects an unfair balanced work load but refuses to acknowledge during year end reviews. The hardest part of this job is dealing with the unfair actions from management and the condescending manner in which they speak and treat employees.
Pros
Leave and health benefits
Cons
Bad management
This firm had great medical benefits and pension.
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2017
I was grandfathered into this firm with the partner I worked with at Proskauer. I loved my job because it was very diverse. I worked with the partner that was the head of the healthcare division in the NYC office. We joined this firm at the beginning of HIPAA which was very interesting. The hardest part of the job I would say was the amount of billing I had to do on a monthly basis. At Proskauer we had billing coordinators to do this job. I enjoyed working with the attorneys I was assigned to.
Pros
Good health benefits and a pension plan.
Cons
No cons.
Interacting with customers
Pantry Attendant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 26, 2016
Able to meet and speak to many great individuals throughout my work day. Always giving having positive outlooks on the day.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Great
Site Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2016
Great company, awesome benefits and excellent people. The work is manageable and the company concerns themselves with the health of their employees.
Pros
Great Benefits, and great people
Cons
Some politics
Lacks Staff Development Initiatives
Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2016
Majority of the training is catered towards attorneys/legal services. If you're working within any of the other departments such as: Practice Development, Finance, Tech support then you're not a priority. I don't know how the company plans on retaining talent, especially younger generations, if it doesn't offer some way to transition from one department to another. Furthermore, the trainings that they offer are ok. R&G is not the company for you if you're someone that is young, eager to learn and would like to develop the necessary skills to stay competitive within this job market.
Not bad for big law
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2016
Ropes is a great place to start your legal career, but it is still Big Law. It's easy to fall through the cracks. The associates are great, but the partners are less so. The culture seemed better than that of others firms from what I have heard from friends. However, the atmosphere is a big passive aggressive and the feedback they provide isn't very helpful.
Great corporate law firm
Assisted Officer Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 17, 2016
Wonderful, professional law firm. Great attorneys and very nice atmosphere to work. Would love to work there again. Many pros here, no cons.
Typical day at work
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Assisted attorneys in daily activities to operate their legal practice; answered phones, word processing, billing, filing.
The worst Company I have ever worked for in my life. Slave drivers unless they are afraid of you they won't bother those ones!
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 17, 2015
The attorneys are rude and ignorant and treat the staff so disrespectful it's a disgrace that they are even still practicing for the abuse the partners give their secretaries!
Pros
Not one pro I can even slightly put here
Cons
Too many to name
Very busy but pleasant work environment.
LEGAL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2015
It was a very rewarding place to work initially. I was downsized otherwise I would still be working at Ropes & Gray. I still have many great friends at Ropes & Gray that I still remain in contact with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Assigned to support too many attorneys.
How can we make the partners more money???
Staff (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 26, 2015
Thats the theme of the town hall meetings at Ropes. If you work on the staff side of this place you might as well be part of the furniture for all the respect you'll get. They support mediocrity and favor brown nosing, so unless you're willing and able to do some serious butt kissing, don't bother. Also, they'll suck you in by promising promotions that they will never give you. Unless you're a partner here, you are not treated well at all. The benefits are great, and the pay isn't bad, but they completely screw you as soon as you show them you have any type of integrity or work ethic. If you have any type of ambition at all, go somewhere else.
Pros
good benefits, decent pay
Cons
no respect, outright lies, favoritism