Rosetta Stone Employee Reviews

Learned how-to sell
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 1, 2017
Daily inventory checks/Check kiosk/Sell language/report to district manager/setup new locations

Learned how to sell/learned different language demos and how-to explain to customers

Workplace was in mall met and interacted with many people

Enjoyable part of job was being able to be your own boss
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Management leadership/Company direction
Company in Constant Change
Sales (Current Employee) –  Rosslyn, VAJuly 30, 2017
Since arriving at the company many years ago, Rosetta Stone has consistently struggled with directing its sales efforts. Three CEOs, and multiple sales managers later, the sales team's directly feel the stress of poor communication and consequent chaos and change.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Poor direction
Lexia--Good program, poor management
PLF (Former Employee) –  USMay 16, 2017
I worked for Lexia as a PLF. The position and the expectations are reasonable. However, the company is poorly managed and there is a lack of communication between PLFs and managers. Much of this is because everyone is not meant to be a manager (poor communication, unclear expectations/intentions). The company also seems to play favorites where expectations, in terms of presentation and style, for some PLFs are greater than others. You may shadow other PLFs and see that they present in the same way that you do or worst, but then you are critiqued more harshly. Favoritism and lack of clear expectations is bad for morale and can make the work inconsistent.

The running theme (code for excuse) is that the company is facing growing pains. Of course, there are challenges as a company grows but through better planning and communication much of the foolishness could be avoided. I would NOT recommend working for this company in the immediate future.
Loved working at this job...lots of perks!
Kiosk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 10, 2017
We always had music playing in the warehouse and it just made made the day go by so nice! It was really fast paced and that made the days go by really well also!
Pros
The vendors always brought us food!
Cons
Honestly...this job really didnt have any cons!
So much potential
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  VirtualMarch 29, 2017
General consensus is that the company was trying to save itself at the expense of people and product. Complete lack of innovation (for a software company) and very little by way of professional development.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Overpaid managers who don't care about people
Fun work
Spanish Latino America Coach (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 1, 2017
Rosetta Stone is a fantastic place to work. But it is a part time job without benefits.It is the most enjoyable place to work. The management is good. The learners will have a very good system to learn.
Pros
It is fun to work
Cons
No benefits and few hours for working
great company to work for paid the bills
Shipping Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Crawford, VADecember 14, 2016
Rosetta stone treated us employees fare. I learned how to ship all over the country. gained a lot of experience in shipping and receiving. working for this company improved my communication skills.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
had to work every new years eve til midnight
Supportive and Goal Driven Environment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 5, 2016
My managers are a strong component of my success.

Rosetta Stone is a great company.

The best part of my job is my co workers.

For me the tough part is not being directly connected to the purpose of my job which is to support the language learners in school districts in CA.
Pros
Access to Rosetta Stone
Fun place to work
Associate Manager, Sales Operations (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VANovember 10, 2016
Rosetta Stone is committed to making sure that learning languages is fun, easy and accessible. The atmosphere is laid back and the teams all combine together to make sure the job gets done.
Loved working here!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VASeptember 30, 2016
I grew up with the company with my father working there and have always been passionate about the success of the overall brand. I would recommend working here to anyone who has the opportunity.
Pros
Fast paced and Encouraging environment
Great company with alot of perks.
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 4, 2016
I managed and mentored 4 sales agents under me to meet the standards of selling the product and acquiring a strong customer base.

Rosetta Stone helps people learn a different language, so as employee's, we got the product for free. I learned the best way to sell the product for customers looking to learn a new language.

I was store(kiosk) manager, and the upper management were awesome.

My co-workers were great people who worked hard to sell the product.

Hardest part of my job was the downtime, when the mall would get slow.

Best part was running the demo of out product and seeing a customer learn a few words in the language they are interested in.
Pros
Learning a new language and helping customers to experience the product
Cons
Slow days.
Big Tech Company in a Small Place
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 12, 2016
Rosetta is a good place to work in terms of internal movement, however you must be a self-starter in networking and communication as the communication between departments is cumbersome at best.
Great company
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 24, 2016
I learned a lot during this employment. It helped me build fundamental skills while I was attending college. If you plan to stay in this career path it is a great choice. Many abilities to advance.
Pros
Great work enviorment company care about employees
Cons
Nothing comes to mind
Very rewarding experience.
Education and Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
Very supportive and nurturing environment for students and employees.

Management was supportive and provided the resources needed to help me to be successful.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
Horrible company to work for.
Account Manager- Higher Education (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 23, 2015
There was no honesty during the interview process. Many things were promised and the company did not deliver. Basically this company is not one I would ever recommend.
fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2015
for people that want to travel abroad an to learn the local language there is no better solution to provide for those situations..
Great Working Environment
Accounts Receivable Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 17, 2015
The people I worked with were fantastic. My management team was amazing as well. It's a place you don't dread going to when you wake up.

I had to reconcile accounts, document and record payments that came in. I had to make sure that our Customer Care entered refunds correctly and apply the refund invoice to the payment invoice. I had to challenge charge backs and send documentation to our banks to fight it. When customers would update their credit card, I would have to pull a report and go through each account and change the card attached manually.

I accepted phone calls from other departments when a customer had a billing inquiry about their account.
Pros
Friendly company
Cons
Healthcare, Upper Management changed too often.
A great american brand going down
Director of Sales and Operations-C&E (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2015
I spent enough time there to realize that RST does not understand language training. They know how to market and sell to consumers, but thats it.New CEO suggestion to improve RST was to not use color copies.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Dont know what they are doing
Slow and painful death
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 28, 2015
Rosetta Stone is a great company, but it's ran by some really ridiculous people.. Which really paints a negative experience for their employees.
Worst job ever!
Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Disclaimer: this review only covers the customer care position. I cannot speak on behalf of other positions in the company.

A typical day involves clocking in and logging in to the phones, 3 or 4 different systems (sales database, knowledge base, crm software, etc) Once ready, you start taking calls and don't stop. While taking calls, you are expected to answer customer emails and assist with customers who choose to chat. If you are a dedicated chat agent, you have to juggle three chats at once. This usually makes for an interesting day. However, it gets old real quick. The same problems usually present themselves at least 5 times a day. Although it can usually be a simple fix, there are rules that will prevent you from truly assisting the customer.

Another thing that is really messed up here is the Q/A scoring. For example, you could have the most irate customer and the most difficult situation and handle it perfectly. However, if you make a data entry problem then that call is considered a fatal. A fatal is the worst score (0%) Your overall livelihood here at Rosetta Stone is your QA score. It doesn't matter how smart or helpful you are to the customers. The score is the only thing that matters. I hav. e seen really good agents get terminated because their scores were not satisfactory. This leads me up to management.

The management here are a bunch of local people who have known each other for years and years. They once took calls, did emails, etc but somehow were selected team leader, supervisor, manager or director. The problem is they did
  more... this at least five years ago. Things have drastically changed. They are trying to use modern thought process with their old mentality. It is not working. Since management is a tight group they also bully people for basically thinking outside the box. Management is almost in a meeting of some sorts most of the day. Your next line of help is a team lead. Team leads are usually overworked and burnt out

I could go on and on. If you are a mentally tough person and can handle getting yelled at most of the day by customers go for it. The pay is below average. There are not many jobs in Harrisonburg. At least it might be a good job for someone. However, there is very little chance for advancement outside the customer care area.

If you want to know more: A good review titled "Cleverly disguised as a sweatshop" is 100% accurate as well.
Pros
Free Pizza, Free bagels
Cons
Poor pay, Management is all a clique

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rosetta Stone. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval