Ross Dress For Less Employee Reviews in United States

Found 4,372 reviews matching the search
ross its a very enjoyable job to be at love socializing,team work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  little york and 59 eastex freewayApril 3, 2016
My Experience at Ross was very like assisting the customers with any questions or help, having my team members there for any help i needed or if they needed help im willing to do so, ive learn alot about sizing clothes cash handling, becoming a store protection specialist, i was very cool with management if i had a problem with anybody management come up with different solutions on trying to solve the problem, i love my co workers helpful fun but also we know how to keep it professional, there wasnt no hardest part the most enjoyable part is satisfying the customers
Pros
empolyee of the month u get a reward and different hoildays the company buy food
Cons
pay rate and raises
Straight forward tasks and easy going management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAJanuary 27, 2016
-On a typical day at Ross, assist patrons, employees would manage the cash registers, tidy up the displays and merchandise, attend the dressing room, place return items back on the racks, and answer phones.
-While working there I learned how to work quickly and perform many different tasks at the same time.
-Ross's management was fairly understanding and easy to talk to if one were having issues with a task.
-Overall, my co-workers were easy to get along with and I didn't have any problems working with them.
-The hardest part of the job was that you still had numerous responsibilities to fulfill even on the busiest of days and it was often understaffed
-The work schedule was very flexible as long as you made sure to request days off in advance.
Pros
Employee discount, clear roles
Cons
short breaks, few to no health benefits, low pay
Not a nice company to work for.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAFebruary 22, 2016
If you like low wages, poor management and getting hardly any hours to work, this is the place for you. They allow hundreds of dollars of shoplifted items to leave the store everyday but will check everyone's purse or backpack at the end of every shift to make sure (the honest) employees are not stealing from the company. Its a minimum wage, go nowhere job and your annual raise will be about 25 cents.
Pros
Occasional parties for reaching safety goals.
Cons
Hardly any hours assigned due to high staff ratio, low pay, moronic policies.
The worst place to work.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLApril 2, 2016
I stayed with this company for 5 years. I did everything and more than they asked of me and never once was I promoted or even given a raise. All the Manager cared about what how much money the store made so she could look good to her superiors. They never cared about the employees. I actually ended up having no morale and gave up entirely and eventually quit. Promotion of friends and not people who deserved it was the absolute wrong way to be doing things.
Cons
Too many to list
enjoyable but impossible to get promoted to full time.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 21, 2016
if you are looking for a full time job this is not the place to apply. the only people working full time are the managers and the chances of you getting promoted to a manager are nigh impossible. be ready to spread 10+ years of working part time to be considered. as far as on job training goes if you go into a stock position training likely to be done reliably but any other position good luck learning on your own
Pros
benefits, insurance benefits if you wish to enroll. 9 dollars starting pay
Cons
scheduling. there is a high likelyhood you won't know you're working till days before
Ross Dress For Less
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTJanuary 14, 2016
Working at Ross Dress For Less was not the greatest experience I have ever had but it also was not the worst. Working at Ross is what ultimately helped make the decision to go back to school. I knew that I did not want to work here for the rest of my life. It was actually pretty difficult to advance to a full time position but not impossible. After working there for a year and going from a part time cashier position to full time Lead Associate Position I was only given a 14¢ raise.....not $14 obviously but $0.14. At that point I was trying to figure out if it was really worth all that.
Pros
20% employee discount, making new friends
Cons
managers do not care about their employees, way overworked based on pay
Not to bad
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CADecember 22, 2015
-i have been here for almost a year now.
-communication between upper management and mid level managemnet is horrible.
-this was my first civilian job after getting out of the Marine corps for 8 years, so it was a huge culture shock.
-there is no accountabilty for managers and supervisors attendance.
-Management is not too bad this place is like any other you have your good managers and highers and then you also have those that shouldnt be in those position.
- the most challenging part of working here is dealing with the whinning because this warehouse is very pro associate it is hard to dicipline associates.
- the most enjoyable part of working here is the people.
Pros
bonus benefits
Cons
lack of communication
Typical Store Associate Experience
STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 8, 2016
A day at ROSS is like a normal day but with specific tasks and opportunity to help make the customer's shopping experience top notch.

One of the many things I have learned when working at Ross was the structure of a retail store and how it operates. I have therefore seen a good day and a not so good day in production, but this company always managed to stay on par with customer satisfaction.

Those in charge of it all had their own individual ways of impacting that day's progress and structure. In this type of work environment it is important for staff and management to work together and relate to each other, but most of all; maintain mutual respect and keep the teamwork going. With that being said, management as whole was consistent, but the impact of the main Store Manager did not have much of an effect on the proficiency of the work place.

The hardest part of my job was when there were system issues and customers needed assistance, on the other hand, it was a hands on job so alternatives were usually accessible in those circumstances.

The part I enjoyed the most was the customer satisfaction and going above and beyond to make sure that the customer's needs were met.
Pros
Opportunity to learn more organization techniques and become more customer service effiicient
Cons
Low Salary, Not enough chance to advance and no paid leave nor raise in salary.
fast paced on feet
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 9, 2015
ROSS cares little for the customer and pushes employees at register (front end) to call next in line before even finishing the current transaction. Weekly count of how fast employees are able to bag the merchandise and move the line. Forget about having your clothing nicely folded. Speed results in clothing torn when the "hard tags" are removed. A good assitant manager of 15 years was fired when the new store manager didn't get along with her- no company loyalty to employees.
Instead of rewarding employees with raise, employees are 'allowed' to wear their own jeans or sport jerseys.
Pros
hard working coworkers
hard work no incentive
sorting and packing (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCMarch 10, 2016
company would not hire after 6 yrs of hard work, no raise, no commissions
really worked hard to change the department and then things worked smoothly , still no raise or job security
coworkers were great to work
Pros
breaks and lunches
Cons
management
Low hours, management changes often, rules and regulations change whenever they feel like it.
Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Working in the Austin area, I've seen very poor management all around. After a year of coming in when people call in sick or whatever reasons just when they needed me, they've yet to give me a raise or even a full time status.
There are no benefits if you're part time. Every manager is different and the rules are vague enough they can get by with changing it however they want. Mostly dress code issues, but when it comes to breaks and lunches as well. Several times I've been asked to take a lunch within my last hour, one time they wanted me to take a lunch within my last half hour and then immediately clock out so they could say I had a lunch and their boss wouldn't get mad at them.
The SPS or loss prevention job is awful, you can't do anything really but stand around and talk to people. You can't even call the police without calling corporate first. Can't walk out of the store to get a license plate or anything. The job is pretty useless.
When the schedule gets posted I tend to take a picture of it, and several times management has changed it later and won't let me know so I'll end up being late and still somehow reprimanded for it.
It's a giant mess. Avoid it if you can.
Pros
It pays
Cons
No beneifts, job isnt steady, managment gets away with everything
Ross Dress For Less
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 5, 2015
- A typical day at work is chaotic. Not enough employees throughout the day at a very high volume store. Management schedules 2 cashiers when the line has 20 customers, but instead of helping, they lock themselves in the office to play on their phones or eat vending machine snacks.
- Co-workers were nice, but upper management has 0 communication skills (among other problems)
- The pay is awful. They don't adjust your raises when minimum wage increases-- there are employees who have been there 5+ years and are literally making just cents over the minimum wage.
- The most enjoyable part of the job? Leaving!
- What I learned -- only come and work here if it truly is your last resort.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
production based atmosphere
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMarch 28, 2016
The daily - weekly production goals are readily obtainable with compensating monetary rewards which promotes individual and team accountability. Results are relayed daily in order for associates to track personally.
Pros
Merchandise discounts for full time associates
Cons
Health insurace benefits less than desirable
no fun
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOMarch 15, 2016
Very slow the customers can very rude. The management is very lazy no sense of ergncy and very inconsistent, co-workers are lazy and bad attendance but they can be very fun. best thing about that place is the discount and having double discount days
Pros
store discount
Cons
very low pay and no good benifits
Cash Office Administration/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 17, 2016
It was my first time opening a retail store, from the beginning the management team was great they offered me great positions, giving me the opportunity to do administration in the cash office. I had that position until I left the company four years later. Got to work with many co-workers and between all of us took great care of our store and customers.
Pros
positions
Cons
pay and benefits
Very considerate and personable manager staff
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2016
Over all, it is a decent jobs. You can apply for benefits after working there for a year; but thats only if you can survive the low hours long enough to make it that far. The store and general manager were both great people that helped me find an appartment when I needed one. Truly great people.
Pros
thirty minute breaks and vending machines that would only sometimes take your change.
Cons
Lack of hours for employees and over staffing, creating even less hours
Easy-going work place
Loss Prevention Associate/Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Clackamas, ORJanuary 7, 2016
Typical retail environment, lenient management, lazy coworkers. Corporate doesn't want to deal with lawsuits, so little to nothing is done about theft, no benefits, part-time.
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks, won't terminate your employment (they don't want to pay unemployment)
Cons
No benefits for part-time workers, regional manager enforces strict rules that go against cleanly store presentation.
Great work environment: Awesome Team , flexible schedule, great advancement oppurtunities
Cash Office/ Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 6, 2015
Ross is/has been a great place to be apart of. Every typical day at Ross is a great day. From the work environment consisting of dedicated co-workers, awesome management and the communication between everyone is at a 10 since I have been apart of Ross. My previous work days can consist of working early mornings in the Cash Office balancing store accounts, unloading and processing truck deliveries placing merchandise in there respective places. Fitting rooms, using problem solving techniques to solve customer concerns and complaints. In conclusion Ross dress for less is a treasure chest, you will never know what awesome treasures you will find.
Pros
Career advancement, benefits, flexibillity
Happy with my Job at Ross would like to relocated to Fountain Hills
Front End Supervisor, Manager on Duty, Markdowns (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 2, 2016
Learned the entire store operation and have enjoyed each position.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the cooperation of my peers.
We share ideas and put them to work to better the customer experience.
Would like to continue with the learning process.
Pros
New idea oriented
Cons
No part time benefits
Great Job enviroment
Front End Supervisor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  PAFebruary 2, 2016
I love working for Ross the co-workers are great and I know whats expected of me. We work well together and the Management team is great always there to work around your schedule.
Pros
good enviroment
Cons
no pay raise

2.9