Ross Dress For Less Employee Reviews

Found 4,803 reviews matching the search
Good place to work minus shrink controll
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 2, 2016
I worked at Ross for over 10 years. Good benefits and good co workers. As of shrink company is not doing anything to stop it. External theft at Ross is the worst I ever seen working for a retailer. Inventory results have huge loss and management is being terminated for not making a shrink. How can you make a shrink when company is not supporting the store needs. Shoplifters are coming in groups ( mob ) and basically looting . Security and associates just looking on and cant do anything to stop them. Then the thieves coming back and doing return without receipt and get awarded voucher for as much as $500. It is very upsetting to not have support or any kind of prosecution for criminals
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Company has highest external theft and doesnt prosecute
Cashier/Stock room (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 15, 2016
Good hours, good people, and great management. One manager really helped me out alot when I needed it and helped me secure an appartment when he got nothing out of it. They worked with me and my hours when I needed it and the pay was above average. Great fellow employees and good atmosphere. Even the radio wasnt the same 10 songs at a constant. (unless it was chirstmas)
The establishment was tight nit and well ran. The employees had a decent 20% discount and was a motly crew that got along great with eachother. Knowing spanish would have helped alot, but the managers were bi-lingual, so problems hardly arose. It is a shame I had to move away from Colorado or i would still work there.
Pros
good hours, great managment, good benefits
Cons
mild language barrier
Low pay, start as a part time, and bad mangment
Everything (Current Employee) –  SPS, Cashier, Fitting RoomOctober 14, 2016
Benefits: you get 20% discount & 40% on October for 3 days each year. (Discount DOES NOT include perfume and jewelry)

Cons: Low pay only $9 even walmart pays more than that NOW!
THY make you do EVERYTHING: fitting room, cashier, SPS, and on the Same DAY!!
Bad and disrespectful (snitches) co-workers (the one that trying to to tell you what to do and then go tell the manager!!! if you're new and they always try to find something against you so they can get a "raise" and "look good" in front of the manager) & management is not good (he's getting better than before) and some supervisors are cool though, shout out to them.
Avoid like the plague
Sales Associate and Cashier/ Stockroom Associate (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXSeptember 5, 2016
3 year experience working at Ross I can tell you you’re better off working anywhere else. Describing this particular store 15 hour weeks maybe, low pay/1 dollar raises, dealing with idiotic Mexican tourists/winter Texans, female drama, answering to 4 or more bosses and LP, being micromanaged moronic managers often spread their employees too thin so you’re going to be all over the place, having unrealistic work goals a clean store or a long line you can’t have both. As for the higher ups collusion, corruption, incompetence, and favoritism to describe the managers. I wouldn’t even recommend seasonal work at this particular store. Dead-end job avoid it, your worth more than that. PS the favorable comments might be over zealous managers trying to do damage control just a thought.
Pros
Cons
hectic, low pay, low hours, hawkish managers
productive, fast pace, finished working when truck was done
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAOctober 2, 2016
I loved working for Ross. The company is very fast pace with plenty of room for growth. The management was always on top of things and willing to get in the mix to help if the workload was to heavy. All of my coworkers came to work every day to work and not to mess around. The hardest part of the job was unloading trucks fast enough. The most enjoyable part of my job was taking items out onto the sales floor and interacting with customers getting to know who the regulars were and being able to be of service to anyone and everyone who needed assistance.
Pros
many breaks, good atmosphere to work in
Cons
no benefits, no set work schedule
Politically and morally incorrect
DC Operations, Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 2, 2016
I had worked for Ross WCDCs for the past 13 years. I had many advancements which led me to an operations manager. I enjoyed my job because of the employees who showed more team work and willing to get along compared to the exempt teams including Hr and VPs. The culture that is being driven there has put fear in alot of people. Its the don't tell policy and you will keep your job. Unfortunately as a person I found it difficult to allow the behaviors that the exempt team was driving and I had gone against the grain with the immoral acts that were being planned and executed. The only positive benefits were discounts.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor culture
Over worked and under paid.
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAAugust 17, 2016
The management role seemed great at first but it is a lot of responsibility for not enough money. The people are great and that's one of the things that kept me coming back. The company is a multi-million dollar company and they low ball you with your pay. It is HIGHLY stressful but could definitely be worth it if the pay was better. I am in management and the difference in my pay and a regular part-time employee is $0.25. To me that is ridiculous when I have WAY more responsibility. Yes I get more hours but there should be a clear difference in pay between regular employee's and management.
Pros
Great people. Full time benifits start right away.
Cons
Pay is too low
This job works really well with school schedules and is pretty flexible
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 19, 2016
The hardest part of this job is the lack of hours that you receive, and if your part time than there is almost no benefits except for your discount, sick pay, and some discounts at mall stores. A typical day at work isn't bad, it goes by fast and the people you work with are mostly all friendly including management. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers and having double discount days.

You learn on the go, and do online learning programs. It is a fast-paced retail environment and everything is done quickly and effectively. It is not a bad place to work, if you just want part time work.
Pros
Free lunches on pay day, great discount, double discount days, friendly coworkers
Cons
Not enough hours. Shifts are usually short, pay isn't the best.
Super easy, but they hire alot of young kids so theres always drama
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  KnoxvilleNovember 23, 2016
Easiest job ever, but there was so much drama All. The. Time. At one point I was working double shifts every single day because someone else kept calling out and they refused to fire them. That's 9am to upwards of 11pm. Every day. Add the catty 20 somethings trying to kill one another and the terrible pay and you have a great big NOT WORTH IT! I've heard they've raised the pay grade a little but it's not really a career building kinda place.
Pros
Easiest place to work.
Cons
Its retail.
Great experience but more hours
Cashier/Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAJuly 8, 2016
Ross is a great place to develop some basic skills in customer service. As a cashier, I learned to multi task and work in a fast pace to give the customer a speedy and friendly checkout. As a sales floor associate, I learned that having a strategy is key to finishing all your duties on time. The hardest part of the job was working in the cash office. Having a multiple assignments due at a specific time was challenging almost all the time. However, I learned to manage my time and find the best methods to be the most productive. On another note, Ross does try to make work enjoyable for their employees. Every month there was fun activities that everyone could participate in. Whether that was wearing a Disney shirt or crazy hat day. Ross was a great stepping stone to my future career.
Pros
Great co workers and experience
Benefits
Helpful employees and challenging job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 30, 2016
I was responsible for 10 cash drawers and 50-60 employees. Made sure store was clean and ready for business day. Strived to meet ly sales goals and kept payroll budget under expectations on daily basis.Made schedules for employees where effectively had enough during peak hours. Did all human resources .During training I trained for 2 weeks on all aspects of human resouces and labor laws. My co managers were of the greatest help to me as I delagated their work for the day. Hardest part was to keep payroll under budget. Best part was working hand in hand with my team
Pros
GREAT BENEFITS AND BONUS
Cons
N/A
All in all, not a bad company
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXAugust 9, 2016
Not much to say. It is low end retail. The customers are the real problem. They leave carts full of random items that you have to sort and put back to the floor. They will constantly throw full isles of merchandise on the floor. They will ask to speak to a manager and when a manager shows up to address their complaint they immediately start snapping at you and being agressive no matter what you say they will continue to belittle you and tell you that you are not listening to them. Customers are overall probably the worst part of Ross dress for less. I enjoy working with most of the employees most are just trying to make a little extra cash on the side as a second job. Some are there just to make a quick paycheck. A lot of seasonal and temp employees like most retail.
Pros
Benefits for full time positions
Cons
No compensation, no commission, low pay, long store hours
It was a very unpleasant place in which to work.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJune 24, 2016
You are over worked and under paid. Raise's a pittance at best. Although training is better than most discount stores from what i have heard. Management is okay i guess at least in the knowledge department in the social skills and being understanding or having empathy, however, was deplorable. The job overall was not very enjoyable best part was when i quit. Was grateful for having a job though. By far the hardest part of the job was getting the customers to follow the store policies. Due to how mean and nasty they were, making it a rarity to find a pleasant customer.
Pros
nice co-workers good hours
Cons
lack of benefits horrible pay
Standard office environment
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2016
Typical day is 8-6. Analyzing data, running system reports, going out in the market place, placing buys, writing orders etc. Management is situational. I have had a pleasant experience with my management and co-workers but I do not think it is the same for all. Overall, supportive company with great benefits and competitive pay. The product/career does not interest me personally.
Pros
Free Lunches, discount in stores, good healthcare
Cons
No lunch breaks, early start time
Love the discounts
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austell, GAOctober 28, 2016
Very easy job , with the benefits of shopping. Great hours if you like working part-time. Competitive pay. Working there never gets boring its so many things to do and sales to make. While given the opportunity to shop while on lunch break. You get 3 breaks a day which is a plus and a bigger discount during holiday time. I became employee of the month my first month working there.
Pros
Great Discounts & Benefits, Reasonable Hours
Cons
Standing for long periods of times & Catching Theives
flexible schedule was beneficiacal
Frontend Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLOctober 18, 2016
I learned that customers are very emotional and need to be tended o in a very sensitive professional way. My managers were very nice, and got the job done. My co workers I loved them. friendly atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was dealing with aggressive customers, they were a lot physical, and the customers with cold,, never really covered their mouth. What I enjoyed about the job is the it was family oriented. we all looked out for each other.
Pros
lunch parties
Cons
part timers dont get the healthcare benefits, or paid vacations
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 21, 2016
Rising up to succeed all expectations, organizing all sales floor merchandise, engaging with customers when entering and leaving the store, operating cash register efficiently, delivering great service. Coworkers are productive and focused on making customers smile. The Hardest part about working at Ross is that you work a lot harder than expected but it's worthwhile if you build customer relationships. The most enjoyable part is exceeding all your limitations and growing in the company.
Pros
Teamwork, promotion opportunities, Personal development
Cons
Compensation benefits
Great benefits and always on your toes the second you clock in
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJune 29, 2016
Great place to work if you're in need of accomplishment and achievements. Love to work with all the associates and co-workers to help train and coach to reach operational greatness. Hardest part of the job is to achieve is to hit all operational goals with little resources to do so. The growth you gain individually is the best reward while helping others to reach their individual goal through the day, week, and fiscal year. Having another associate or management team get promoted because of the training and coaching you have giving each other everyday.
Pros
Benefits i.e. Employee Stock Program and flexible hours
Cons
Late Store Hours
Horrible company
Area Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJune 24, 2016
worked 10 years plus for the company. Slowly advanced internally. Luckily when I came into the company the raises were decent, now they barley give you a dime. Short to no breaks often and very little staffing coverage. Staff was worse than high school everyone always gossiping. Management was horrible always changing the schedule without notification and obvious favoritism which included inappropriate relationships. The expectation level for certain employees was set high and others could literally cuss you out and get away with it.The only positive thing about working here is the discount.
The workers are great company however, the management is completely unorganized.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJune 12, 2016
The overall work environment is a busy and has a fast going pace. Employees NEVER get off at the time they're supposed to. Their management is completely disorganized and information is not conveyed properly. Also, the way they schedule their employees is not correct. When one person is scheduled to work from 9-5 in the fitting room, the next person taking over the shift should be scheduled at exactly 5 if not 15 minutes earlier but, instead they're scheduled 30 minutes after the 9-5 person is supposed to leave. This causes the 9-5 person to stay an extra 30 minutes because no one is there to cover the shift.
Pros
lots of breaks, workers are friendly, %20 discount benefits
Cons
bad scheduling, poor management, always disorganized