Roswell Park Cancer Institute Employee Reviews

department was interesting
Smokers' Quit line, Fulfillment Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2016
-temporary hours worked in my favor
-scheduling was very confusing
-operation in that particular department was confusing at times
-training in certain positions was satifying
Cons
temporary, no benefits, operation in that department
very productive, and fun to work at
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 11, 2016
the staff, management, and the patients made the job productive, motivating, and refreshing. I would be happy to work for them again.
Pros
conveience in pay, and benefits
Cons
overtime was based on bidding
A caring facility
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 21, 2016
Receive shift to shift report. Meet and assess pts. Review medications and lab requests. Retrieve medications from med room pixus. Stock COW computer. Check VS. Pass medications, reassess pts, change dressings. Chart. Notify on call Md with pt problems. I enjoyed my job and my coworkers. I liked the job benefits and work hours.
A balance of structure & autonomy in your work day. Learn through interactions & personal study.
Clinical dietitian (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 9, 2016
I work with inpatients daily and have scheduled & non-schedules outpatients. 98% of our patients have a cancer diagnosis.I love the patients, docs, nurses & kitchen staff.Managers are a bit rigid. The job has autonomy but also immediate demands to see patients.Good pay and time off. Acquired (acquiring) knowledge daily in how to educate, what to educate & how to work with interdisciplinary staff to best benefit the patient.
Day is structured but also flexible as to how you see some of the patients.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Micromanagement
Fun productive place to work Very Nice Co workers
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 31, 2016
Very Nice company to advance in. very good Competitive wages good health insurance. Great management hard dealing with sick cancer patients
Pros
Very hard working indidviduals
Cons
short staffed
MBA Intern
Business Consultation Team Member (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 1, 2016
This company is absolutely amazing. The interdepartmental communication and the company culture makes it so a person and and extern can look a lot from the organization
productive workplace. Management needs work
Environmental Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 7, 2016
The job itself is very rewarding dealing with new patients and people. Management/ Sodexo can use some polishing. I enjoy being able to provide a clean environment for people.
Pros
co- workers
Cons
Managers
I really Don't Have Nothing to Say
Dietary Aide. (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 23, 2016
I love my interactions with the patients and there family members you can't beat the warm smiles and hugs you get fro there true appreciation from servin them and greeting them with a warm and welcoming smile and even a hug from time to time
Pros
nothing to add
Cons
nothing to add
Productive and Fun
Project Coordinator/Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 20, 2016
Roswell park was an awesome place to work for. I actually worked in the research part of it. I did more outreach and I absolutely loved it. This position had 2 years to meet it's goal and I was hired 6 months already into it. I had to reach out to at least 400 women ages 40+, build a community advisory board, look for cancer survivors, hire and train employees, make pamphlets, make a power point presentation with pre and post questions on cervical, breast, and prostate cancer and also make one for Diabetes, and event planning. I had to go out into the community to look for leaders and key note speakers. I had to assist with grant writing and correspondence. I helped with interventions for women with cancer. I would have to say that the project was a huge challenge and success. All I know is that I did all this with the help of my fellow co workers and we met goal in a very timely order. I would have to say it was my biggest accomplishment due to only having 1.5 years to do all this from the bottom. I did not stay with the company due to the economic recession of 2009 and getting our grant cut and being laid off. But one thing I know for sure, is that I loved every minute of it.
Pros
I met people from all over world
Cons
some times people expired and it was kind of sad
great place to work
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 14, 2016
excellent place to work! fantastic people committed to helping people through cancer treatment and encouraging research for new treatment options and a cure
Roswell Park Cancer Institute
Assistant to the Chair (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed working as Assistant to the Chair of Radiation Medicine. This is where I learned how to create a newsletter for the department and how the Resident Program is run and certified. My responsibilities were to arrange the Chair's schedule and keep him abreast of any department issues.
Great work environment with good teamwork, management had some issues.
Critical care staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo NYApril 2, 2014
I was charge nurse of a 15 bed unit on a intermediate care unit/telemetry floor. In addition, we watched over 18 telemetry monitors throughout the hospital. I was employed here for 3 years and learned just about everything I know. I enjoyed the atmosphere and co-workers. The hospital was magnet accredited and we took pride in having earned that. The most difficult parts of this job was dealing with the death of patients and the vicious cycle of cancer itself. Having to witness patients and family members go through the stages of grief is a notion that I witnessed all too frequently. However, as bad as it may have gotten at times, I also was there to witness miracles. I was able to send people home or off our floor because they had beat the cancer. Working as an RN really has the most largest rewards. I was able to be at the bedside with patients at their absolute worst and help them be their best in a terrible scenario.
Pros
Benefits, continuing education, advancement.
Cons
At times no breaks, management.
Excellent high standart, magnet facility, an awesome place to work
Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 9, 2012
A a typical day at work include; patient assessment, patient education, starting an IV, transport patient to procedure, then patient assessment post procedure, more education, Discharge information, evaluation and setting up homecare if needed. Learning continues with new procedures and new equipment. Charge nurse responsibilities with rotation. Coworkers worked together to accomplish a comon goal. The hardest part of the job was realizing the patient has a terminal disease and having compation for patients that you briefly come to know and genuinely cared about. The most enjoyable part of working with cancer patients was seeing the client go into remission, receiving good news about their disease and knowing you made a difference in their life.
Pros
stability, benifits, and close co-worker bonds.
Cons
short staff, and manditory overtime.
Productive and continual changing
Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 2, 2015
My job would exercise my knowledge in every trade available to the construction world. On a typical day i could be looking at piping, structural, architectural, HVAC, electrical drawings as well as as built, conceptual and proposed plans. I would alter, and change based on the many changes that were happening around the institute.
Pros
Healthcare and benefits were great
Cons
Parking is not free and isnt available to you for a couple years.
Sad place to work but wonderful place to help people.
Keyboarding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 9, 2014
this was a hard job to have even though I was a Keyboard Specialist, it was on the bone marrow transplant unit and everyday someone would come in with a slim chance of making it to someone loosing the fight against cancer.
I would enter patient information in the system if they were just entering our floor or leaving the floor. I would help the nurses order blood work. I ordered supplies that were also needed. Sometimes I would fill in at the clinic on the same floor.
Pros
Benefits right away, union
Cons
strict place to work
medical coder
Medical coder (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 17, 2016
its a great place to work, and I feel very secured in my position. I do medical coding for the Breast Clinic, and the OR's. I also code for the IP professional side. I have also coded for the Thoracic clinic.
Pros
job security, friendly people
excellent hospital
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with the pharmacy team in Roswell Park Cancer Institute.
working there added a lot to my experience in pharmacy ,
Roswell Park Caner Institute is a unique hospital by the excellent care provided to cancer patients.
Good job security.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 8, 2014
More diversity needed in upper management positions, overall a good place to work with opportunity for career development.
Pros
401k tuition reimbursement
Co-workers always there for you
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffallo New yorkFebruary 9, 2016
Roswell Park Cancer Institute was an excellent place to work for starting out as a new RN. Provided enough training for you to feel confident to work on your own. Co-workers were always there to help when needed.
Pros
company was union
Cons
only had 8 hr shifts
Very secure employment
Research (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 31, 2014
Great benefits, good work-life balance.

I really enjoyed my coworkers. They are pretty good with continuing education.
Benefits