Roto-Rooter Plumbing & Drain Service Employee Reviews in United States

Disorganized mess
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHJanuary 5, 2016
The management here was awesome, and very veteran-friendly, however, the workload was too much for the small amount of workers, the prices set were way too high for the customer-base, and the commission was too low. The workload fluctuated, and customers were far too spread out.
Pros
great benefits, good people to work with.
Cons
fluctuating work, responsible for everything yourself, lack of communication between coworkers.
Horrible uncaring management -i made great money but my coworkers received no leadership or guidance Roto-Rooter Savannah
SEVICE TECH -EXCAVATIONS AND JETTING (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 27, 2016
What a shame the owner is sick and has chosen to trust someone causing damage to her branch. I made great money but I felt horrible for my coworkers who had not gotten the excellent training i did in Atlanta and Houston with Roto-Rooter . Maybe one day I can return when contractors management has seen the blown potential of this location.
Pros
Great m9ney in savannah
Cons
Poor management in Savannah
Roto Rooter Services
Hiring and Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Good stable company, work life balance was not on-par with compensation. 24 an hour on-call required every other week.
dirty and challenging with great compensation
Plumbing technician (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAApril 22, 2016
i enjoyed working there. was let go for doing a side job because at the time business dropped off and i went from 900 weeks to barely 300 and not enough to pay my bills. would i go back? maybe but i do think after working with other companies that the roto roote setup is long term. 13 weeks training, having to provide all tools necessary except drain clean machines, and buying my own work van were the big investments that most cannot afford but if one is willing to have to constantly reinvest money earned back into the trade. id say its worth it but very demanding when it comes to the time needed to be given to earn decent wages.
benefits
Cons
set chosen schedule with felxibilty
Multi million dollar company on a shoe string budget
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2016
Worked at Roto Rooter for 6 years right out of the military. I fell for buying a van and after 2 years i was tired of having to pay for expenses out of my own pocket. Went to excavation after that but never got paid what i was worth. The company Manager is a money hungry penny pincher who gives no cares about his employees. Hes the first one to take food out of your families mouth. I think thats just how roto rooter trains managment though. I didn't leave on bad terms i just couldn't take the greed of the company and the lack of leadership. This company will fall because of its ridiculous prices, good employees leaving, and/or by getting sued for making their employees change their time sheets or taking milage away or taking money away or not giving raises when due. Ill have the popcorn ready when they do as they have put a bad taste in my mouth.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Leadership is terrible, they will take your money, Buying a van and tools for new guys will only put you in debt
An up and coming company with a huge down side
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 6, 2016
The company is doing really well for itself. It's name does a lot of the work, however, some of the employees are really good people and really care about making the company great. However, there are some people in management that have the soft skills that it takes to the company to the next level. They don't treat their employees the way they should be treated and don't follow through on what they say they're going to do. This is going to ultimately be the downfall of the company unless someone does something to help them see the light. Overall, its a good company to work for. The benefits leave a lot to be desired. They offer company paid for health insurance but it's only for those individuals who don't have health issues. And if you're single. If you have a family its going to cost you an arm and a leg. There is no vision or dental insurance and there is no 401(k) match. The company is young, so if you can afford to grow with them and deal with the pains that come with it, then this job is for you.
Pros
Free employee medical coverage, decent pay
Cons
Insurance is expensive, very little opportunity for growth, and poor management
Work Life Balance
Hiring & Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Work life balance, was the most negative. Long hours, not really on par with pay. Management was ok, however support in the field was lacking from corporate office.
Stressful work environment
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ventura, CAMarch 1, 2016
No real job security or room for advancement, I enjoy working with my co-workers. Days do get stressful when bill collectors start calling and the General Manager lets everyone know that the company is struggling
Pros
Hours
Cons
No job security or retirement plans
Too many hours for compensation.
Plumber (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INDecember 5, 2015
This job was horrible! Long hours for very little pay. It was based on compensation, and I was told hourly to begin with. Wouldn't work there again.
Pros
Cons
Being out from before sun up to well after sun down, and making very little money.
Excellent environment to provide top quality customer service
CUSTOMER SALES REPRESENITIVE (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDOctober 30, 2015
A typical day is taking inbound calls from customers. Also bring apart of the commercial team handling specialized account I make outbound calls as well. I've learned to be patient and understanding to peoples needs and I've learned that paying attention to details is very important. When it comes to working in a call center communication is key and having a bond with your peers plays a role. However the hardest part of my job is different personalities and different opinions. At the end of it all nothing is better than having a positive opinion from a customer on how I handled their situation and how smoothly their experience went.
Pros
Understanding management, positive customers
Cons
Rude customers, attitudes
GM has no clue
Former employee (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 31, 2016
The company itself is OK, but I think it has gotten too corporate. So things that work in some areas of the country will not work here in San Antonio. Also buying a van is tough and you will struggle for the first two yrs if you are new and inexperienced. GM does not have a clue on how to run a business and it will affect your wallet!
Benefits
Cons
You have to buy your own vehicle
Management Issues
CSR (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MIJuly 5, 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with fun people. Managerial wise needs much improvement with following through with work and having more consideration for customers. Also, making employees restrict an hour pay for lunch even if they work straight through.
Pros
Air conditioned
Cons
No benefits, mandatory lunches
Fast pace industry
Dispatcher/CSR REP (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 19, 2016
I absolutely enjoy working for this company great atmosphere with friendly down to earth co workers. I have learned patients and excellent customer service. They have provided me with the knowledge to multi task at extreme measures.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
short breaks
i owned the route and the company
Owner DBA (Former Employee) –  Easton, PAMay 20, 2016
working with a schedule of drain cleanings as well as othe plumbing needs in residential homes
i bought the business with a protected Route my area was Easton PA 18045 and surrounding areas ,
The hardest part of the business was expansion ,into more area markets
Pros
a great start up business
Cons
very small protected area no expansions
Family run company with excellent owners, pay, benefits.
Sr. Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynn Haven FloridJune 6, 2015
I've worked for this company for over 14 years and I cannot give enough praise to its owners. Although a typical work day is extremely busy, at the end of the day you leave feeling satisfaction and always appreciated. Dedication, a good work ethic and loyalty are rewarded 10-fold every day. They are supportive of not only my personal life goals but sensitive to my family obligations and priorities. For this area, the pay and benefits supersede even those offered by larger companies. Anyone lucky enough to be hired will soon find out they've landed much more than a job, but a family.
Pros
Their are new challenges every day, new learning experiences and great co-workers.
Worst job I ever had!
service technician (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SC (Roebuck)July 6, 2015
Wish I had taken a different job. The way the company does business I could not sleep at night. The hourly charge was $146.00 per hour but you could never tell the customer that fact you could only quote total job cost. So if you tell a customer the bill is gong to be $242 but that includes Labor, parts and taxes. The customer agrees and signs the quote. I take 10 minutes replacing your flapper, fill valve and supply line in the toilet which would have costed maybe $15 in parts including tax .The parts get marked up at a ridiculous amount. I will tell everyone I know not to have any dealings at all with this complete SCAM! Nobody I know, or come in contact with, will ever work for them or use their ridiculous services. If you are a customer, the price of their services depends on who shows up at your door because every one of the techs will give you a different price depending on how busy they have been. You can make good money there if you want to live like that and have no conscious. Management is terrible no benefits no holidays. This was just one of the worst decisions I have ever made. Live and learn I guess and hopefully this will help somebody else to not make the same mistake I made
Pros
good money if you dont mind screwing people over
Cons
no life other than work life, poor management, every day is on call
Productive fun place to work
Dump truck driver, Operator, Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PAAugust 18, 2016
Roto Rooter was a really great place to work. The pay was really good for productive employees. I would recommend this company to other job seekers. I would consider working for this company in the future.
Office Operations Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 12, 2016
Great people. great managers. Very family oriented. The benefits are awesome. Wish they would have let me work remotely down in Florida, I would still be with them. But they are old school and would not go for it
Great atmosphere with exceptional knowledge of plumbing and drain cleaning.
PUMP TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 14, 2016
Management and staff are goal oriented with exceptional customer relations and customers satisfaction is number one priority.
Great company
Drain Technician (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 28, 2016
Had the most interesting experience working for Roto- Rooter they were very amazing to their employees. The CEO is all about safety and cares highly about the company
Pros
Great to their technicians
Cons
short breaks

2.8