Rovi Corporation Employee Reviews

Peers were friendly , but very stressfull work environment
BI and Datawarehousing Architect (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 29, 2017
It was a different experience working here. Had to be always available and be ready for handling the issues. Its friedly environment but very stressful
Stressful
Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 30, 2017
The work was not stressful, the workplace culture was. Management was too intense, her expectations were extreme and she did not listen to her employees.
A good company that takes care of employees properly.
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA 95050July 31, 2017
ROVI is a great company taking care of it's employees properly. I enjoyed working as a remote employee with little supervision form supervisors. My day to day activity involves working with catv engineers in fixing and troubleshooting catv system issues. The most hardest part of the job is when getting stuck with critical problems affecting a large number of catv customers. The most enjoyable part is when you get appreciation and good review from customers on being able to fix issues.
Pros
good salary, employees stock option plan, 401k benefits, medical benefits
Cons
Working remotely has a downside on day to day social interactions.
Good environment and open to new technology
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMay 3, 2017
Rovi was a pleasant place to work at with a company open to new and challenging technologies. There were many challenging problems to overcome and the company offered the freedom to pursue different solutions.
Great group of people to work with.
Data Entry Technician and Archive Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 13, 2017
I would process the actual product regarding dvd's, cd's and games along with scanning said products.

While there for 10 years, I learned that there is alot to know about media. That I was capable of managing and taking care of the huge media library and that others can always depend on my to help them out and to get the job done.

The hardest part is that I was laid off after many years of hard work and loyality to the company.

I also enjoyed working on the Social Committee to improve the work lives of my fellow co-workers.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches.
Cons
Being laid off.
Fun workplace, however, that was 5 years ago.
Graphic/Creative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 3, 2016
Worked with some fantastic people. In fact, made lifelong friends with a few of them.
Had a fantastic ad ops director, not a micro-manager, but she was always accessible.
Overall a good company, but..
Senior Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAMay 30, 2016
I felt the salary was not very competitive. There is a chance to grow, but it's quite slim, meaning if you don't seize a chance to get promoted, it could be another several years before another you see another chance. And the thing I was least impressed with: they're willing to put sooo much pressure and work on their lowest level employees. They really want to squeeze every drop of effort out of you. Doing a good job? Great, your workload has just increased as a result. It's like they think we are robots sometimes. After working there several years, I was happy and relieved to finally resign from my position.

Those are the CONS. Here are the PROS: a nice company culture. I really liked all my colleagues and even management are generally pleasant people. So much so that we were happy to do things together outside work. The company will put on seasonal events like Summer Olympic Games or a Pumpkin Carving Content so we can all just have fun and have a few drinks. Working hours are flexible, which is nice to meet your personal schedule. Benefits are pretty good (health coverage, 401k contributions, ESPP, and health club reimbursements (up to 50% of cost up to $500 per year).

Time-off is very nice (4 weeks paid time, in addition to 10 holidays and 1 floating holiday).

Rovi does not drug test new hires.
Pros
Positive culture, pleasant colleagues, good vacation (4 wks/year)
Cons
Low pay, often stressful and seemingly impossible workloads
Lack of direction
Software Engineer - Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAMarch 29, 2016
There is a palpable lack of direction from the middle management with competing requests and conflicting ideas. There is a very high turnover among employees and the environment is borderline hostile.
Poor direction, lack of consideration for employees
Senior Automation Reporter (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAJanuary 26, 2016
There is a general culture of poor decision making and employee mistreatment in this company. Lower level management, however, is helpful, passionate, and considerate.
Great company to work for
Marketing Scheduling Reporter (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PANovember 2, 2015
I have worked at Rovi for 1 year and 6 months, it was a fun place to work especially my co-workers. The deadlines from the clients sometimes will make you work overtime because the contents could not wait. Unfortunately they outsourced my position back in April.
Pros
Free breakfeast on fridays, work from home when needed
Cons
last minute changes from clients

Want to know more about Rovi Corporation?

Ask a question
Fast paced environment
Ad Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 24, 2015
I started out trafficking ads across a wide spectrum of platforms in the US, Canadian, and European markets. I learned more about good organizational habits as well as different trafficking systems while I worked on these platforms. Ravi was a very friendly place to work and I made many new friendships. The hardest part of the job was when those platforms went away and I was left with just a few responsibilities. I decided to leave to find something more rewarding but I enjoyed my time and the people I met at Rovi.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and friendly work environment
Cons
The job was monotonous, not much variance day to day
Fun company and good people for the most part - Dwindling product market
Systems Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 8, 2015
I enjoyed most everyone I worked with. Management seemed to care about their employees.

Unfortunately, their most profitable piece of software is being phased out by multiple ISP's thus creating attrition with an already thin group of team members.
Pros
Food, Vending Machine
Cons
Ceo
Management is willfully ignoring overworked employee's needs
Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAJune 8, 2015
The failure of outsourcing strategy is placing incredibly amount of pressure on the reaming employees. Everyone is overwork and afraid. The company did not have a plan B in case the outsourcing fail and the single contributor are paying for the consequences of the failed strategy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Unreasonable expectations
Great Place to Work
Campaign Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OkMarch 12, 2015
I am a liaison between several different entities withiinand outside network organizations. I have learned how to work with different personalities and work styles. We are able self motivate is very keen on Work/Life Balance. They promote time with your family or outside of work with then entail productives work environment.
Pros
Free lunches; great heathcare; lax work schedule
A great place to work, at one time.
Technical Editor/Writer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 5, 2015
I have had the pleasure of working with a dedicated, intelligent and hard working group of people. Unfortunately, our parent company, ROVI does not value the devotion our group has to our work. Constant micro-managing, layoffs and outsourcing have given a once proud and healthy workplace low morale and has killed the amazing culture we had.
Pros
Work-Life Balance
Cons
Outsourcing, micro-managing
Great Employer...
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 1, 2015
I have heard of many unsatisfied employees but that is likely due to a cultural shift after a change in CEO. The new leadership worked hard to get the company back on track and it appeared to be working. I worked remotely and traveled frequently.
I'll focus on the positive and move on.
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PAJanuary 13, 2015
80% of my time at the company was enjoyable - talented, fun people to work with on new technologies and interesting projects. However, the last few years were not. IT restructured and tried to define itself as a service component but I was not lucky enough to see the final outcome if it did come to fruition.
Pros
Benefits were decent, work from home was an option, talented co-workers
Cons
work-life balance was painful, not really involved in the "new stuff" that was implemented in IT
A company in transition
Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 30, 2014
The work I did for Rovi was ideal. In many ways it was a dream job. However management has a severe problem with communication that led to untenable working conditions. My co-workers were exemplary people who were also often mistreated by upper management.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Terrible upper management
Increasingly more uncertain about the future of my job
Content Editor (Current Employee) –  Radnor, PAAugust 6, 2014
When I began working here in 2009, I absolutely loved it. The environment was laid back and friendly. As time has progressed, it's become increasingly more rigid with a number of unexplained layoffs. There have been numerous restructurings and an attempt to improve the company's culture. The compensation is minimal, with unnoticeable increases each year. We are given a yearly 10% bonus (if the company reaches its goal, which it sometimes does not), however, and our medical, dental and vision coverage is affordable. They also provide tuition reimbursement, which has been incredibly helpful while I pursue my graduate degree.

I worked there for five years before I was promoted. I had applied to the same job every single year and it was continually given to a temp with no prior experience within the company. I was finally given the job randomly with no mention of it being available, after a year of "helping out" the team. My training for my current position was minimal, as I was told there is no training process in place. As co-workers either quit or get laid off inexplicably, there are no replacements. Therefore, the workloads are distributed to the remaining employees and have become completely unmanageable. The expectations far exceed what is possible in a work day.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement, benefits, commute, bonus
Cons
Lay-offs, uncertain of future with the company, no opportunities for advancement
Very conservative place
Sr. Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 4, 2014
Uptight and unfair management. Who you know not what you can do. micro management.
Pros
Good Cafeteria
Cons
impersonal and egoistic management, bad behavior by upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rovi Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6