Rowan Companies Employee Reviews

Good company to work for.
Driller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2017
I enjoyed working for Rowan Companies for 21 years. I held many positions over the years. The hardest part of the job was being away from home for a month at a time.
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
traveling over seas
Great Company
Inventory Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2016
I ran this company for 3 years it was well maintained and ran efficient and well the atmosphere was great. I was very sad to have to close this down.
Pros
I was the Boss
Cons
Closed
Sr. Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2016
I work 28/28 hitch which is 28 days on 28 days off. That is one of the perks to working offshore is that you work 6 months out of the year and you're off 6 months.
good company
Corporate HSE Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2016
Very well managed company. Fiscally conservative, interested in actually making changes, not just talking about it. High quality, new rigs in use.
Worked 2 on and 2 off
Roustabout (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2016
Loved my Job with Rowan. I learned a lot about different rigs and how the oilfield operations worked. Management was fine, no problems. My co-workers were great. Hardest part of the job was being away from my family for 2 weeks at a time. The Most enjoyable part was being off for 2 weeks.
Pros
off 2 weeks
Cons
being away for my boys for 2 weeks
Rowan
Global Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
Wonderful company. Willing to train the employees, great work environment, the company offered good benefits.
I enjoyed working with a great group of co-workers.
Great Culture Both In Safety & Achieving Goals
Drilling & Well Control Sup (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
If it wasn't for the economical downturn in the Oil & Gas Industry I would still be working for Rowan . . .
Rowan is a GREAT Company to work for and always pursuing the latest and greatest technology . . .
I sincerely hope we can work together again in the near future. The Management is tops and constantly challenges their employees to reach for the stars . . .
Rowan Employees are like family and always ready to jump in and help even if it is not their area or in their job description!

I really am going to miss working there . . .
Productive and Accessible Work Location
Project Coordinator/Travel Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2016
I enjoyed my tenure at Rowan Companies. My colleagues were friendly, professional, and always willing to work as a team. Many of the managers were supportive and encouraged growth for their team. The floors are furnished as open-concept work spaces and even fresh fruit is provided 3 times a week. Overall, I had a good experience working here and would welcome working for Rowan in the future.
Pros
Fresh Fruit provided, walkway to the Galleria, Carpool available
Cons
Limited options for growth depending on department
Master Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 27, 2016
I worked in three different departments for this company so my typical day would vary. The most enjoyable part of my job was being part of team that helped create our Supply Chain Department to where it is today. I also was part of an accounting team that was able to pass all internal and external audits in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley. The hardest part of the job was the last couple of years because of the oil and gas industry recession. Many colleagues were laid off and not knowing when and if that was going to happen to me when I walked into the office in the morning was difficult. In all, it was a good 12 year run and I was fortunate to work with a great group of people.
Great
Material Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North Sea, Asia, Korea,Middle EastMarch 23, 2016
Great Company, really takes care of the employee, cares about safety. Treats you like family. Great people to work with
Pros
Take care of Employees
Great family culture with long and rich drilling history
Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2016
When the industry is booming, the sky is the limit as to where you can go with Rowan. With the current downturn, you just have to put your nose to the grind and hope for the best. They will still take care of you even if they do have to let you go. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is thinking about applying.
Pros
Great work environment, knowledgeable leadership, and great work/life flexibility.
Cons
As any O&G company the instability during downturns.
Rowan is a good company
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2016
I have been with Rowan for over 15 years and loved every year I was there. I started out as a receptionist and moved up over the years. I thank Rowan for all they have done for me and for my career.
Off shore drilling
Floor Hand, Rowan Ralph Coffman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2016
Treated like family from the moment i set foot on the rig. Excellent on the job training. They promote from within the company
Awesome Atmosphere With Great Co-Workers
Rig Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Rowan Companies, Inc. is a terrific place to gain knowledge and hone oil and gas drilling skills. They have some of the best, innovative equipment in the oil and gas exploration industry.
Brief experience
Network Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2016
I was hired as a Network Security position to assist the Program Manager, Database Admin, and Software Analyst. We were to develop methods to comply with British Petroleum safety and security standards.

The Program Manager, DB Admin, & S/W Analyst were never hired and I was assigned to assume responsibility for all four positions until the others were hired.

The first meeting held at Rowan to address BP's concerns was the very day the report to BP was to be submitted.

When I faced the reality that I was alone in this project, I quit.

The following semester I enrolled at UHCL to learn all the responsibilities Rowan expected of me.
life as motorman on a oil rig
Motorman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2016
Typical day starts with making proper relive with night or day motorman that was on tower while you was off . Check all rig equipment for wear and tear small damages that can lead to down time or major replacement of equipment .making hourly checks on all equipment . The most important thing I learned from management is always put safety first.. Assist co workers in jobs that might require 2 or more people . Show new workers proper procedures. My day doesn't really consist of hard parts .the most enjoyable parts is when the 12 hour shift is over .
Oil Field Job security
CHIEF ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Gulf of mexicoJanuary 6, 2016
Worked on the drillship with good people. Work days were 12 on and 12 off. You are at sea for 21 days and off for 21 days .Rowan is new to Deepwater drilling. This makes it difficult to work for this company due to its unfamiliarity with deep water procedures and contractors.
Pros
Money
Cons
Time away from family
Great Projects Team
Structural Superintendent (Projects) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2015
I was treated as part of the team immediately. Every position had its clearly defined roll and responsibility which made the process transition from each level nearly flawless.
Demanding job but co workers made it nice to be there.
Payroll Analyst 1 (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
Fast paced office. Co-workers were great to work with. Everyone helped each other when needed. Flexible work schedule.
Pros
Team meetings every week so everyone knew what was going on.
Rowan
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 2, 2015
I enjoyed my position as A Project manager at Rowan. Unfortunately the market dictated that cutbacks were required and I was one of the many laid off!
Pros
Great People
Cons
Lack of vision in the Projects Group

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rowan Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4