Rowland Unified School District Employee Reviews

Things have changed since a new administration came in.
Contracted Mental HealthProvider (Former Employee) –  variousJune 2, 2017
RUSD has changed administration and consequently has become a difficult place to work. I worked under a contract so I did not have any benefits. I worked in all grades, With weak leadership in the district, it has trickled down to the schools. There is way too much emphasis on the money aspect at the detriment of the students.
Pros
People in the schools are generally great.
Cons
The district has poor leadership and are out of touch with the population.
A great place to work with dedicated employees who focus on student success
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAMay 9, 2017
I worked for RUSD for over 10 years. I started working during my senior year of high school; and continued for ten more years. I learned various tools and techniques which have assisted me to this day. RUSD is a great place to work in.
Loved working with the bilingual students
INTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT/BILIGUAL (Former Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAMay 2, 2017
Assisted the teacher with the bilingual (Spanish) students in class. Helped with their reading and math. I worked with Kinder Gardeners, Third grade and Fifth grade students. The hardest part of the job was that it was only part-time.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Only part-time position
Worked as a high school teacher.
Biology Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAJanuary 16, 2017
This was an excellent opportunity to interact with students and learn public education. The students allowed me to examine learning methods that were necessary for student success.
30 Year Employee. Loved my time with RUSD
Senior Custodian (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 29, 2015
I came to RUSD in 1982 and advanced to senior custodian in 5 years. It was a great place to work with fair management and great benefits. Would love to go back if I hadn't relocated.
Working with your second family
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CASeptember 4, 2015
Working at RUSD will often give you job security, as most people become permanent after working there for only a year, however there is little opportunity for upward mobility.
Unstable Teaching Assignment
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAJune 15, 2015
I was hired over a week after school starts (at no fault of my own. I applied, got interviewed and followed the hiring process perfectly), then transferred to another school within the first month, and was let go before first semester ends.
I help special needs students with their studies.
Instuctional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rowland HeightsFebruary 8, 2015
I help the kids with their studies. If they have any questions, they can ask me. I help the teacher make the classroom flow a bit better. I learned how to be a hard worker and be patient with students and people. My co-workers are very helpful and I learned how to work as a team. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the parents because they are frustrated with their kids but I tell them they are trying their best. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing results with the kids.
Pros
Enjoyable work enviroment
Cons
No benefits
I love my job
Career Vocational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAJuly 16, 2014
My day is divided in three parts. Prepare students for work. Take to work. Return from work and write reviews and communicate with teacher about our day at work.
I am still learning about student disabilities and what they are able to learn and not learn.
The hardest part of my job is handling multiple levels of ability and learning to improvise at the very moment it is needed.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction I get when I see what I taught the student was worthwhile.
Great unpaid work experience
SLPA Intern (Former Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAOctober 20, 2013
I worked as an unpaid SLPA intern and I believe that the experience I got was amazing. The SLP's that I worked with were very kind and encouraging in helping me succeed in what I needed to know in my field.

Want to know more about Rowland Unified School District?

Ask a question
great place to work if you like to work with kids
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nogales High SchoolAugust 17, 2012
A typical day at work was trying to keep the special needs kids calm and teach them like a regular student at the school. I learned that not every kid is the same. My co-workers were wonderful, they all helped me out on the first day of work. The hardest part of the job was trying to teach a student something when he or she didn't want to at that exact moment. Most of all the most enjoyable part of the day was getting to work with the kids. They were all so much fun.
I liked this job very busy loved working with the staff and hrs were great.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAAugust 3, 2012
I enjoyed my time there learned alot more, morning was attendance first for all grades K-6th, lunch count, answer phones take messages, work on emergency cards, manage sick students as they come in for assistance, assist principal with tasks, manage info in computer to keep it updated and assist new incoming students and parents.
Pros
had a job for awhile and learned more office skills.
Cons
temporary job was not permanent.
Great place to develop one's teaching skills.
Classroom teacher (Former Employee) –  Rowland Heights, CAApril 30, 2012
My teaching day was spent working with students who had mild learning disabilities. I taught them skills to become better readers and writers. I also retaught information from general education classes including English, world history, U.S. history, American government, economics, earth science, biology, and assorted electives. Sometimes, I went to the general education classroom to work with special education students directly in the classroom setting.
Pros
great students and faculty.
Cons
30 minute lunches