Royal Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

Strong business activities, and poor IT management
Senior developer and production support (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 19, 2016
RBC has good business department that brings in revenue.
However, it's management, especially, IT management team, is not mature.
Good experiece
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 27, 2016
During my time it was a good company to work for. Not sure about now. Gave you good training, and time to get acclimated to position. Support structure was very good as well.
Good workplace to nurture people with or without experience
Corporate Action and Mutual Funds Analyst (Former Employee) –  Robinson RoadMarch 28, 2016
Being in the private banking and wealth management field for 5 years, I really appreciate the operations culture that I was exposed to. They use the Avaloq system to process trades. This is more productive than what I had used in ABN AMRO Private Bank. Many out-of-the-box methods were also encouraged to build team spirit in RBC WM too.
Good Learning Opportunity
Intern - Private Client Group (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 17, 2016
Great opportunity to look at the wealth management world from a marketing perspective. Management was really focused on helping with the networking and growth.
Pros
Great grownth opportunity
Cons
Burocracy
Successful deployment of 2,500+ lenovo desktop and laptop computers
Windows Deployment Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2016
part of 26-person team. Best overall position I've worked top to bottom all was good. Eden Technologies is rehired by 85% of their clients
should work here
team lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 18, 2015
nice place to work with all door open oppurtunities.You can learn every new thing that market offeres and in parrele you grow and your company benefits
Highly driven and flexible environment
Audit and Control Agent (Current Employee) –  Port of SpainNovember 30, 2015
The culture at RBC is one which is driven for service excellence through constant interaction among its service providers. The Bank is positioned in such a way to provide customers with products and services which are geared to fulfilling their financial need, while doing so with the customer in mind. With this regard services are aligned to ensure that such product offering are done with the maximum amount of efficiency while maintaining the Bank service levels are achieved.

The most challenging periods at the Bank is the month end period, where the Bank services are in high demand. However, being able to challenge oneself by contributing the overall strategic objective of the Company provides a sense of accomplishment and achievement.
Pros
Interest rate concession
Cons
Very Late hours
My deepest gratitude to RBC Royal Bank‏
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 20, 2015
Having studied my undergraduate and masters degrees in London University in England UK, I decided to immigrate to Canada. The first reason that I appreciate RBC is that it provided me with a wonderful career opportunity as a new immigrant from Mainland China. Even if I did not have any Canadian banking background, RBC has recognized and believed in my potential, provided me with solid training foundation for me to fly high in a brand new field. After 31 months at RBC, I have grown from an AM/CSR trainee to a full fledged financial advisor. Thank you, RBC, for what you have transformed me into a real professional who loves and truly enjoys her job in the financial services sector.

If I would say RBC has provided me with a job that can provide me materially, then I would also have to say that RBC nourished my young heart and that heart has grown healthier and stronger day by day. I remembered the first time I participated in the community activity for JDRF. I did not even understand why as a banking institution we have to spend money and effort on something irrelevant to our business. However, after having attended to all the different kinds of community activities, the precious experience has taught me to broaden my world view, not to be so self centered and egocentric. It’s not all about me, my family, my own community, I also need to contribute to other communities, the society as a whole and even extending to a larger scale to the world that we all live in and share with. A true heart felt thank you to RBC for what you have taught me broadening my horizon and emancipating
  more... my heart to love more, to grow as an individual and to live a fuller and more fulfilled life.

If I consider myself as a single individual when I moved to Canada without family and friends, then I can proudly say that I have made so many friends and I feel like being with my family when I am with my dear colleagues. I cannot express enough on how much I appreciate all the training, help and support each and every one of my colleagues had given and provided me throughout my time at RBC. Because of RBC, all of us are working together in harmony as a family with the same value, same spirit, and even with same beautiful smile on all our faces. Thank you, RBC, for being the leading position in the industry to attract top leading performers, hardest working employees, and the best group of people who strive to deliver the superior client experience on a daily basis.

I am proud, because I used to be of of them.

If, my life journey will bring me back to Canada, my one and only career choice would always be to work with RBC, the entity who I truly believe in and enjoy to be a part of.

Thank you, RBC!
Very chalenging and engaging experience, learn something new everyday.
Complex CSR (Former Employee) –  Wellington Rd, Basseterre, St. Kitts, W.I.August 19, 2015
Working at Royal Bank was a great learning and growing up experience. I was able to meet with many different people and was able to learn from my customers as well as co-workers.
For me there was no such thing as a typical day because each day provided new and challenging experiences. In my time with the bank I performed task well above my level, advancing my skills making me a very essential asset to the company while i was there. I don't have much to say about management, other than the fact that management changed like 4 times while i worked there and that I preferred the previous to the latter. My co-workers were like and still is like family. We developed deep bonds which made us function as a well oiled machine, even in times where we were under pressure due to shortage of staff that never slowed us down. The hardest part of my job was being under apprenticed and under paid at times. many times I would work several hours overtime and not see any reward for it. for me the most enjoyable part of my time there was the time i spent with my co-workers.
Pros
Good environment
Productive, excellent leadership skills, focused, positive personality,excellent communication skills
Manager, Global AML Compliance Governance (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, North Carolina & Toronto, CanadaAugust 4, 2015
Developed & implemented AML audit review program that is currently used internationally for the bank. Successfully communicated with senior management and Board of Directors about issues, action plans, and its variables, as well keeping a practical focus ion its achievements. Team oriented and excellent leadership skills have always allowed me to enhance and encourage my direct reports to work together and several have been successfully promoted to higher positions.
Am a loyal person and believe in company pride and success through team work.
Pros
Practical, excellent leader, excellent communication skills
Cons
work continuously until goals exceeded
Good corporation
Relatioship Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 9, 2015
Assisting private banking managers.
Improved knowledge banking issues
Management: really personal. Good relationship
Co-workers: friendly and helpful
Enjoyed contact with international clients
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
n/a
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2015
Very busy day, with lot of new skills to learn, good management, friendly environment, very professional, dealing with clients
Pros
Group lunch
Cons
short breaks
Productive and Fun place to work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2015
Short term project with good experience. First work in IT project.
Very cooperative atmosphere. RBC is good place to work.
Great Company to work for
Wholesale Lending/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJune 1, 2015
Prepared competitive quotes and performed all follow-through and sales support functions to develop new accounts, provided outstanding customer service through wholesale loans including: Identifying buyer needs, both current and anticipated, Introducing bank products and services. Kept relationships with brokers to maintain a steady pipeline and achieved my monthly quota consistently
Excellent Bank and place to work
Jr. Relationship Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 24, 2015
Great Management, good people.
Career path and recognition is part of the Bank culture.
Generous benefits and great clients.
Pros
great company
Cons
few offices
Great Place to work at
Prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 31, 2015
Amazing people to work with. The work was enjoyable and the management team truly cared. The benefits were good as well.
Great starting pay, excellent teachers and remote training, HUGE expectations at slower branches, local management was horrible!!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern AlbertaJanuary 13, 2015
I worked at a small town branch.

I worked for this company for a short time, I wizzed through the training and found that to be great, but I was coming in when one account manager had quit and the other was leaving to go to school.

The Branch at my branch was far too busy to sit in on Mutual Fund transactions and got frustrated when I needed her support. This is very shady!! I asked to train at another local city branch with an account manager 1-2 days a week until I got on my feet and she refused. I had done only 2 mutual fund transactions which she had to approve at the end of the appointment, but was far too frustrated to carry on without support.

I don't think this is the intention of RBC as a whole but it put me in a very frustrating situation where I had the choice to continue blindly possibly breaking mutual fund law or to leave the company.

I re-signed a week later.

The starting pay is great, M-F work in a respected sector was fantastic, but all in all RBC is quite pushy to their staff to achieve high sales figures. I have heard of many staff from my time working there going to smaller provincial credit unions where there is less pressure and more focus on teaching the employees to be financially informative, not exclusively salespeople.
Pros
Good starting pay, M-F Work Hours, friendly work environment, Interactions with local people.
Cons
Pushy sales goals that align more with sales and less with good financial advise, Poor management at my branch.
Infonet infoworks IMS IMSIW
Technical consultant (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisJanuary 9, 2015
C# applications, Web application development and support with Database migration from SQL server 2000 to 2008 and its dependant application. It covers 65 applications (Including front office applications), 42 databases. Applications were on different technologies like classic asp, asp.net with c#.net, vb.net. This includes much of intranet applications used in banking and Wealth management departments. All the application database objects were schema prefixed and access rights were granted based on schema as per the security reasons on banking portals. Analysis of the database worked with architecture, implemented migrations. Worked in all phases of SDLC to meet customer requirement and delivered optimal solution.

Responsibilities:
• Designed and developed C# & ASP.net applications (MVC).
• Worked in Agile, TDD, and BDD methodologies.
• Analyzed various databases and its dependant applications.
• Analyzed the number of users and the application’s criticality.
• Involved in designing, critical decision making and downtime.
• Suggested optimal solutions to improve performance.
• Provided required changes for the application to connect to the database, irrespective of the technology.
• Made sure trading/online banking application is available 24/7 during migration
• Reviewed the code and gave them the review comments for performance of the application was tuned well in advance and the impact of it was analyzed.
• Designed an implementation plan and its rollback plan for crisis without affecting the business.
• Monitored SQL and Zeke jobs for banking related processing.
• Build,
  more... deploy and maintain the application
• Involved in Root cause analysis.
• Lead a team of 12 members.
• Experienced in converting DTS packages to SSIS packages.
• Used Microsoft visual source safe for configuration and release management
• Experienced in migrating 42 databases and its dependant 65 applications in banking and financial domains.
• Created parameterized reports, drilldown, ad-hoc reports, custom reports using SSRS (MSBI).
RBC is a very fast paced yet productive workplace where our main focus is excellent clients service.
Officer-In-Charge - Administrative Services (Former Employee) –  TrinidadJanuary 7, 2015
Most days are quite hectic. Large volumes of work to handle on a daily basis and stringent deadlines to be met. However being an individual with excellent organizational and time management skills, deadlines are always met and high quality of work . The ability to multi-task and to handle unexpected assignments at very short notice are two of my strengths. I have learnt to remain unflustered and prioritize my duties in order to get the most important task accomplished.

My colleagues are generally co-operative and we work as a team to get the job done. The most challenging part of my job is having to deal with subordinates with different personalities. Additionally having to micro manage someone also proves challenging at times. However, micro management is necessary at times in order to get the best out of some employees. Whereas some employees will perform exceptionally with little or no supervision, there are those who you have to micro manage in order to get the best out of them

The most enjoyable aspect of any job is accomplishing given tasks exceptionally well at the end of the day and being able to satisfy both my internal and external clients.
Mortgage Broker
Mortgage Banker (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 9, 2014
Royal Bank of Canada was a part of I very large Canadian Company. The pay was straight commission, so sales skills were imperitave.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
stress level

4.2