RR Donnelley

RR Donnelley Employee Reviews

Great company
Machinist (Current Employee), Crawfordsville, INJuly 4, 2015
Pros: close to my home
Cons: rotating schedule
Worked for this company for years. Job requires a tough work schedule & I miss out on family time. Pay is decent. I like the people I work with. The hardest part of the job is the rotating schedule.
Not much to say. It was a job. Management not much experience in the printing side. Client does not come first.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Secaucus, NJ99,000July 2, 2015
Pros: Nothing much offered but employee discounts on certain products was pretty good.
Cons: No support at night. Constant changes, had to work things out ourselves.
Worked third shift with a few employee's. I was the supervisor. Also produced jobs for print. Would come into work, review incoming work and decide what order jobs had to be done. Assigned jobs to employee's by experience. Assisted other divisions on how to prepare purchase order for print, etc. Again client does not come first. If it's late it's late. No feedback, good or bad.
Good work environment
Production Technology Support (Current Employee), West Caldwell, NJJune 30, 2015
Cons: Health benefits have decreased since the time I started working here
My typical day at work involves monitoring production servers and applications to make sure they are running smoothly, responding to user support incidents in a timely manner and troubleshooting them to resolve them based on my experience and the existing documentation, and escalating the issue to a higher level of support if I am unable to resolve the issue. I have learned to be much more self-reliant, as I work the overnight shift and assistance is not always available, and I also make sure to document any new solutions to issues of which I had not previously been aware. The hardest part of my job is communicating with my co-workers as they work in the daytime and I only see them for about a half-hour a day at shift changeover.
A lot to learn
Word Processor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 25, 2015
Worked in different departments. Its about who you know in the company versus what you know. A lot of overtime was offered during peak season in some departments.
Good place to work.
Output Solutions Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Breinigsville, PAJune 16, 2015
An active, fun place to work where people get treated equally and the opportunity to grow and develop their skills. Every day had a different challenge, but we worked as a team to the job done on time. I had grate managers that will treat people as humans and that part I really enjoyed. Also enjoyed when I got promoted from Bindery Personnel to Administrative Assistant.
Productive workplace.
Bindery Operator 1 Grade 4 (Current Employee), 2347 Kratzer Rd Harrisonburg, VAJune 14, 2015
Pros: Trade with people when RRD won't let you off.
Cons: Benefits are higher than usual, No match on the 401K, No more Pension
One day last May 2015 I made the mistake of telling the supervisor I was planning on giving a 2 week notice and for him to please make time to bring someone over for training. This is our busy season and I am dedicated to my job and did not want to put the company in any delays on shipments. I also stressed for him to please not say anything to anyone because the job I was interviewed for has a very extensive hiring time frame and I could be still working at RRD for the next couple of months and, I didn't want to be harassed by co-workers coming over asking, who, what, when, where and, why. 20 minutes later I had a supervisor do exactly that. 2 weeks later I had HR tell me I no longer have a work email because I took a job elsewhere. 3 days after that I began receiving phone calls from co-workers asking those harassing questions. It's been over a month now and everyone keeps asking. Management is so untrustworthy and I'm counting the days when everything comes back from the Federal Government job in NOVA. So, I keep checking my Candidate Dashboard.
Co-workers are great to work with. I get along with everyone.
The hardest part of my job is the constant reprimands they write you up for and fire you without a moments notice and that's usually after you put in a full days work on a Friday.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being confident they cant write me up because I do my quality checks before sending the finished product out to its next destination.
Leader of an industry in retrenchment
Director of Operations (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 9, 2015
Pros: Substantial autonomy as an operations director
Cons: Declining compensation and benefits. Shrinking industry.
P&L responsibility for $31M retail marketing communications business including revenue and expense management in a matrix organization, integrated with client, strategic partners, sales, operations (local, domestic, offshore) and technology teams.

Implemented the go to market strategy for the North American platform’s new $76M , client-facing, web-based, software-as-service business.

2.5 years management of skilled manufacturing operations with 4 departments and 40+ employees on 3 shifts

1.5 years management of 40+ publisher accounts and provided technical leadership for customer service team
Very low salary, with long hours, no work/life balance
Print Production Account Specialist (Former Employee), Secucus NJJune 8, 2015
Very low salary, with long hours, presently re-organizing , eliminating positions. Learned vendor side of business and learned template/layouts.Ensure job instructions are entered and verified in the various manufacturing systems
Poor management
Paper accountant (Former Employee), Pontiac, ILJune 4, 2015
Pros: Vacation time
Cons: Management
Very poor management and supervisors throughout the company. The employees are just a number and nothing more. They expect you to do the job of 3 people in an 8 hour day.
The pay is ridiculous for the amount of work and responsibility you have. They is no compensation for your time and your years you put into the company.
There is no employee morale due to such poor management.
Focused and fast paced environment geared primarily toward safety as well as meeting/exceeding production goals.
Assistant Crew Leader (Former Employee), Strasburg, VAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Great pay, benefits, location, and career opportunities.
Cons: It was a printing press so it's hot and dirty-ish; but honestly nothing worth mentioning.
Upon arrival employees are expected to clock in using their personal ID cards which will keep records of attendance (or lack thereof) as well as tardiness. Punctuality is strictly enforced.
The printing of signatures (sections of magazines), is a continuous process running on a four shift 12 hour cycle. Reporting to one's position will immediately begin my job responsibilities to finish one job and begin the next.
I learned a great deal which I believe I summarized in my resume, but cannot possibly begin to explain comprehensively, but using broad strokes I learned how to excel in understanding machinery, communicating and leading colleagues, and the importance of a sense of urgency.
I accepted my co-workers for who they were; obviously I respected some more than others but I tried to achieve a cohesive working environment.
The hardest part of the job was trying to maintain a gung-ho attitude after the company was purchased by the RR Donnelley Corporation and about a thousand of us were offered severance or demotions. That was disheartening after working so hard to climb the ladder to eventually become a crew leader.
The most enjoyable part of the job was becoming more and more knowledgeable about such a vast variety of machinery, processes, and statistical success that our printing press often achieved.
Good compensation...Archaic, inefficient tools for the trade.
Technical Support (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 3, 2015
Pros: Compensation
Cons: Constant job security concerns
Time with RR Donnelley was filled with constant job security concerns, with no room for advancement especially since a recent company merger at a local level.

On a daily basis, an overly complicated tool set of company billing, order entry and tracking systems made it extremely difficult to service the customer in an efficient and timely manner.

Loyal and dependable co-workers were the best part of the experience at RR Donnelley.
Great company with Management Flaws
Sales Professional (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 30, 2015
Pros: The company has a great sense of production, esp in the manufacturing divisions.
Cons: Management
Company interms of production is great, second to none. Management leaves something to be desired, as blame is passed without any second thought.
Great company to work for and friendly to employees
Insert Operator (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIMay 30, 2015
Loved working there, but had to move on. They treat their employees very well but can demand their employees to work long weeks.
Productive and challenging
Account Integration Specialist (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 29, 2015
Working for RR Donnelley taught me everything I know about how to handle intense situations, challenging deadlines, and working with a team open to bouncing around new ideas.
Just not a nice place
Skilled labor (Former Employee), Thurmont, MDMay 20, 2015
Pros: Pay is good
Cons: Poor management
This used to be a good place to work. Now it is not I would tell anybody I know not to go there. They will make you work lots of OT without ever a thank you. The turnover is getting crazy. They can not keep anybody or get anybody new to stay. Then when they get new worker they put them on there own and then the screw up work. It is sad.
Fast Paced Environment
Human Resources Coordinator/Generalist (Current Employee), Antioch, TNMay 19, 2015
Assist Management and employees, contractors, and visitors.
Fast Paced
Great connections with management and other employees.
Challenging work load at times.
Enjoyed assisting employees with FMLA inquiries as well as assisting management.
Security Management
Coordinated Travel
Coordinated Job Fair.
Overall, RR Donnelley is a good company.
Sales Professional (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2015
Pros: Provides stability
Cons: Could do a better job with employee appreciation.
RR Donnelley is a Fortune 500 Company. I learned a great deal about business and Corporate America during my time there. The management team had great expectations and were driven by results.

I issued detailed, timely instructions on a daily basis. This is key in a highly stressful, fast paced environment . Managing several high profile weekly accounts and magazines was difficult, but rewarding. Successfully managing the start-up of two nationally known weekly accounts was a highlight in my career. I also developed great working relationships with my customers.

Everyday didn't always run as smoothly as planned, which made for some really stressful times. Delivering unpleasant news to customers was always challenging, but necessary.
no financial support for 401k for 2 of the 3yrs working there
2nd pressman (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 14, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: old equipped that we were not allowed to maintain properly.
Working at RRD was a learning experience. I was constantly reminded having the job was not my priviledge, but theirs. I watched one of the biggest turnarounds I have ever seen for the position of 2nd pressman. During my first year there felt threatened to hold my position constantly. I only received a 1% raise the entire time I was there. With the exception being when I was hired. I was extremely underpaid and felt left out of the corp group of original employees. I firmly believe I was seperated from the company because of my belief in speaking the truth about the job polcies and management.
Unstable work environment
Servicing (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2015
Fairly good company to work for, but unstable environment. Would like to see more on site training... it would really help with the lack of efficiency.
Workplace is tense
Press operator (Current Employee), Wilson, NCMay 13, 2015
Typical day at work would be coming in, setting up the press or to continue running the press, and finish the job. I learned how to run many different presses. Co-workers are easy to talk to. Theres not really anything difficult about this job.

1 2 3 4 5

About RR Donnelley

RR Donnelley is a global provider of integrated communications. The company works collaboratively with more than 60,000 customers – Read more

RR Donnelley Salaries