RR Donnelley Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,078 reviews matching the search
Good work atmosphere, tough work schedule for people with families (like any other production or manufacturing shiftwork), decent compensation
Web Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 17, 2016
Company is structurally sound and maintains a good work environment. Never had a problem with management. Shift work is shift work, no getting around it. Hourly compensation is decent but bonuses are a joke and no more 401K match. Company has become tight-fisted in recent years.
Pros
Pleasant, inclusive work atmosphere
Cons
Shift work, some dangerous duties
Typical Corporation
Technical Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Lots of handwork and hours put in. Working for RR Donnelley, I have learned how to prioritize and manage my time out of necessity. Many people who say they are stressed, should try working in the Printing Industry.
Management is fair to their employees and differ from one to the next in terms of knowledge at the ground level. Most everyone is kind and respectable and people work well together when possible. The organization is large and at times difficult to navigate. The environment is always changing and there are always new client challenges to tackle.
Pros
Good work / life balance for corporate employees
Cons
Benefits and Pay
ups and downs
Turret, order-picker, forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INFebruary 10, 2016
Enjoy my job, but management is lacking.
Rules and safety are talked about, but not much is actually done to enforce them. Some people have to follow the rules, and some others don't.
Each shift has their way of doing things, and there is not a lot of cooperation or communication between them it seems. Blame is always put on a different shift.
Caring about your job and the company and the client, don't really seem to be a plus to them.
benefits
Cons
lack of organization
Always at risk of being "excessed" by Client
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 23, 2015
RRD supplies contract employees for many other companies around the globe. Their benefits are expensive and generally pretty poor. I suppose that might be different for management personnel, but for the mainstream worker, most of the expense for medical benefits are borne by the employee, and raises are basically non-existent.

They gave us mugs as a "well done" gift a few months ago, but forget about any bonuses at Christmas, they are laughable and insulting, in my experience. I got almost $100 last year!

Anyway, my impression is that they care much more for their bottom line than they do for their employees.
Pros
Can't think of any.
Cons
Cold and unfeeling. No understanding of human problems.
Little flexibility for family life
Central Stores Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gallatin, TNMarch 23, 2016
Company required working a lot of mandatory overtime. Job and work/life balance was poor and it also had poor management. It did provide good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Meh
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILFebruary 7, 2016
Not a bad place to work, but not a great one either. Prototypical "big" company with too much hierarchy, bureaucracy and politics.
Pros
Decent work life balance; most people are friendly
Cons
Poor benefits package; little room for advancement; silo mentalities abound
Turn over rate is insane
Utility operator (Former Employee) –  Menasha, WINovember 10, 2015
Worst company I ever worked for in my life. Management doesn't care about anything or anyone after RRD took over from what use to be Banta the location I worked at the job security and benefits for the most part including decent health insurance no longer exist. You never know from one day to the next if you have a job or its just another layoff, if your looking for a secure job that provides you a living wage and reliable health coverage I don't recommend applying here you will not find it.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Job security, pay, management, communication, benefits
Nice Place to work
CSR (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 18, 2016
Typical day for me starts with answering email in the morning and doing follow up on all the title's I have producing in manf. Most days I spend half of the day communicating with my customer as well as employees on the floor. I have a minimum stress level job and set my own work pace.
Pros
I work at my own pace
Benefits
High stress
Secretary in Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INNovember 21, 2015
A typical day entailed approving dozens of purchase requisitions, reviewing contracts, running reports on purchasing trends, reconciling accounts, monitoring employee wage increases, Management was highly critical and expected high volume of work with little training and no encouragement. Coworkers were wonderful and willing to help new employees learn their jobs. The hardest part of the job was the highly critical manager. The most enjoyable part was interactions with coworkers.
Pros
Great coworkers, good benefits
Cons
Unfair and demanding boss
Solid company
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2016
For the most part, the people are good to work with. Lots of turnover of staff in the last year is concerning. Solid company overall however.
Pros
Salary
Cons
healthcare, no raises
Pay Sucks
network engineer (Current Employee) –  network engineerJanuary 11, 2016
Management doesn't care about employees. Raises are a joke. On call schedule is horrible. Typical day includes getting tickets. Everybody blames the network for everything that not working without and TS.
Pros
no micromanagement
Cons
horrible communications
Great benefits and perks
STACKER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 15, 2016
This company is easy to work for. The teams have spirit and each job is laid out for any worker to be able to perform it. Loved this job
Pros
FLOWER GARDEN, WEIGHT ROOM, AFFLAC, BEST BENEFITS EVER, LONG BREAKS
Cons
NONE
Friendly environment, stable work
Customer Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Monroe, WIJanuary 31, 2016
Good place to work as long your partner has good benefits and a good retirement plan. Ok pay to begin, but don't look at receiving increase in pay unless you can get promoted.
Pros
Flexible with appointments or days off.
Cons
healthcare, retirement benefits.
Good, solid, secure company. Low compensation
Project Manager, Business Communications Services (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILOctober 5, 2015
The company is solid and secure, particularly for a fading print industry as it's leader. It's very corporate and raises have been minimal short of promotions. Some chance for upward mobility, but limited. Culture is strong, though management can be all about the numbers rather than what always makes sense. Many acquisitions have led to a wide variety of divisions and systems.
Pros
Secure, strong company
Cons
Compensation lower
Rewarding place to work
Press Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 10, 2016
RR Donnelley is a family oriented and diverse company to work for. Lots of room for advancement and great benefits. RR Donnelley provides me with the income to take my life to the next level.
It's a job only
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOOctober 5, 2015
I'm an account/project manager that manages the production of various magazine titles through the production process in order to maintain schedules and meet deadlines.

I have learned many ways to negotiate with internal and external customers in my 12 years at RR Donnelley in an effort to work most efficiently to achieve our common goals.

The hardest part of the job is trying to manage the variables that are out of your control in the plant.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping clients' produce their publications that they have put so much work into. I enjoy bringing all of the pieces together and ending up with a finished product.
Pros
Comfortable with day to day routine
Cons
Lack of salary with experience, no training.
Good pay, challenging environment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYNovember 2, 2015
I learned to prioritize my work load. Was often required to stop one order to help others in completion of a more urgent order or to complete a secondary order on my own. Worked alone and with others to complete tasks. Learned to work complete orders despite various obstacles such as blocked isles. Conditions were sometimes unpleasant (hot, dirty, smelly). Loved the work itself, picking and organizing items on pallets.
Pros
good pay, good vacation
Cons
hours, benefits weren't very good
This company has great pay but these products are almost extinct.
Collator Operator (Current Employee) –  Clinton, IllinoisAugust 22, 2015
I set up and run a collator. Its machine that assembles multiple plies of paper from 50" rolls that will fold, cut, glue, and print on this paper to create mail. When this product comes off the collator to be packed it is a finished product and ready to be mailed. I am responsible for my own quality procedures. Management here is the doing the best they can with what they have.
My co-workers are great people to work with, anytime any help is needed they are always ready to lend a hand.
The hardest part of my job right now is the industry itself, its almost a thing of the past with the electronic age.
I would say the most enjoyable part of my job is to watch it become a finished product as it is being made in front of your eyes.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
job secdurity no longer exists.
Company does not care about employees.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILSeptember 14, 2015
You never know if you are working 8 or 12 hour shift. Your schedule is on a day to day basis so there is no way to make any plans outside of work. Rules change like the wind to benefit the company. Raises are a joke. Most people have received approx. 10 cents max a year and that is if they don't find reason to not give you one. If you have a job related accident you will be written up and not be eligible for raise or job advancement for at least a year.
Pros
It is a job.
Cons
Company keeps taking away benefits. Raises are non-existant.
Good comapny
Back up Kolbus Operator (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHDecember 12, 2015
This was a good company to work for but the work slowed down with the less production of books and printed materials. Lay offs came to often.
Pros
Benefits were decent
Cons
No room for advancement