RR Donnelley Employee Reviews

Found 1,133 reviews matching the search
Feast or Famine...
Hoist Operator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 1, 2016
OK place to work overall. The bread and butter part of this company was commercial printing,and I worked in a telephone directory plant. Most of the employees were good people. Management was ok,but definitely had their favorites. The scheduling was horrible at times,and it was common to be laid off for a week in early summer. During busy times it was common to work 12 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. during slower times you would get 37.5 hours a week,or possibly less,and/or be laid off. As a forklift driver,we had problems with our truck mounted computers the last 2.5 years I worked there,and they were never fixed. Profit sharing was good when I started,and terrible every year after. Raises were a joke! 2% was the best I ever got. Job security was not good. Overall,I still liked my job. I did learn more computer skills at this job,and became an excellent forklift operator.
Pros
Nice forklifts/job close to home
Cons
Management/benefits
Great learning experience, but little employee appreciation and empowerment
Global Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJuly 15, 2016
Typical day at work involves meetings, planning, quotes, management projects/production, and selling. There is very little room for growth as far as management. In sales you are stuck. Depending upon the office, its all work, very quite, and a very small work environment. We used to meet and get to know the other regional sales reps and have performance reviews and awards as a region, but no longer have that. Budget and spend is limited, so it is hard to get approval to travel and be with the customer when production requires. The job does allow you to plan and manage your own work day, which is a plus when there are so many moving parts and people to manage.
Pros
full benefits
Cons
Little work life balance, very little employee appreciation, few perks other than full benefits
Paper Advertising-Soon to be a Thing of the Past
Lead person/material handler (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INJuly 12, 2016
This company has known for many years that paper advertising is soon to be a thing of the past and therefor, the co. won't put any money back into maintenance of the equipment. We actually used duct tape and wires sometimes, no kidding! The turnover rate is atrocious so we were always training people, and don't expect to be rewarded for your hard work, we were lucky to get 1% a year(equal to .12 CENTS) It's a four crew shift, work 3 days 1 week, and 4 the next, but you can't move up, out, or over if you don't work 7 days a week. Every 6 to 8 weeks you also have to flop shifts, meaning for 2 months you might be on 1st, then get bumped to 3rd's. Used to have good breaks and benefits, those are gone.
Pros
No 1 standing over your shoulder, pays better than some.
Cons
Just about most everything else.
Company does not care about employees.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILSeptember 14, 2015
You never know if you are working 8 or 12 hour shift. Your schedule is on a day to day basis so there is no way to make any plans outside of work. Rules change like the wind to benefit the company. Raises are a joke. Most people have received approx. 10 cents max a year and that is if they don't find reason to not give you one. If you have a job related accident you will be written up and not be eligible for raise or job advancement for at least a year.
Pros
It is a job.
Cons
Company keeps taking away benefits. Raises are non-existant.
Pretty good place to work
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJuly 8, 2016
I have worked at RR Donnelley for 23 years. I work in the bindery. My position is fast paced and has helped me learn how to pay close attention to detail, as it is very important to keep the pockets full of the right signatures and the machine running. My position has given me experience in warehouse machinery and manual dexterity. In addition, it has given me experience in working in a team environment. Every machine has an Opperator that oversees the proper running function and any problems that may interfere with production. My Opperator was always willing to jump in and help when needed, as we all helped each other when time permitted. I most enjoyed working side by side with my friends. The hardest part of my job was changing shifts every two weeks. However, after some time I have gotten use to it. Overall, I enjoy working at RR Donnelley.
Pros
Decent place to work with good pay & benefits
Cons
Shift change every 2 weeks
Good comapny
Back up Kolbus Operator (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHDecember 12, 2015
This was a good company to work for but the work slowed down with the less production of books and printed materials. Lay offs came to often.
Pros
Benefits were decent
Cons
No room for advancement
Innovative & Employee Dedicated
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NYMarch 7, 2016
RR Donnelley is an overall great place to work. My department has an internal site to nominate co-workers for their hard work and efforts in process improvements, leadership, going above and beyond each month and another each quarter. Our VP comes to visit with us twice or more a year; which is really amazing. It's really nice to have a person at a top level position in a Global company to come speak with us and find out how we feel and what are our thoughts on improvements.
Pros
Yearly Celebrations, potluck lunches, financial rewards, ability to work at home if weather is bad
Cons
workload at times can be excessive, long hours, not feeling able to take earned vacation time
Stable company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYDecember 7, 2015
RRDonnelley is a very rewarding and stable company to work with. I gained many skills coming up through the ranks which prepared me for future success in my career.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Productive fast paced friendly work environment
Light Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 21, 2016
the typical day is repetitive and at a constant flow. management is very open, respectful and strong. coworkers change frequently due to the company's contract with a staffing service. but people are friendly and very diverse. the hardest part of the job is keeping up with standards due to constant change of staff.but other than that being able to catch on fast and work efficiently without assistance is the best. i have learned to work in a fast environment and work with several machines with different but similar operations.
Cons
change of hours and expensive healthcare
Good people long hours
Bindery Tech Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warsaw, INAugust 23, 2016
We work 12 hour shifts making a long day but does provide for days off.
The equipment is aging and management is not updating or replacing out dated equipment. Some days are spent repairing instead of running.
Many skilled craft people have retired and the new people replacing them are thrown in with little training causing quality and productivity issues.
Co-workers are good people and we all try to help each other to meet production requirements.
Floor supervisors are decent people doing the best they can
Pros
good people
Cons
management only seems to care about budget not production or quality

Want to know more about RR Donnelley?

Ask a question
Good people, decent management, weak union
Saddlewire Operator (Former Employee) –  Menasha, WINovember 10, 2015
Physically demanding @ times. Work-life balance is great. Some mandatory OT. Slow periods = mandatory layoffs for lower seniority people. Pay is good but the benefits are expensive.
Pros
5 day work week
Cons
Union infighting and layoffs.
Typical case for corporate America ruining a workplace
Bindery Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 6, 2016
Worked for RRD for 20 years. Used to be a great company to work for, but management started bleeding the company dry and started at the bottom of the ladder, of course. In the bindery you only got off every other weekend and even that was not guaranteed. The pay was very good compared to other manufacturing jobs in the area, but they put a freeze on wages because they had to pinch every penny. The benefits used to be great with pension and 401k match and nice health options. That all went away. The work itself really wasn't that bad, until management started micromanaging everything and breathing down your neck.. treating you like you didn't know how to do your job after 2 decades. In the end, I can only say that the people were why I stayed so long, because they were like family. But now they are all gone too due to lay offs, firings and the smart ones that left, so now I really have nothing positive to say.
Pros
Pay is better than most, there are a few good people left there
Cons
OT (say goodbye to your social life), Bad management, Benefits
Great company to work for that shows great support for the small community I live in.
Production Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Owensville, MOSeptember 2, 2016
RR Donnelley has been nothing but excellent to me since I started working here late 2012. They have been accommodating and very easy to work for. I have had a total of three bosses/supervisors and all of them have been extremely pleasant to work for. Very understanding of people having a life outside of work and have done everything in their power to ensure I am able to make it to any outside appointments.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, supervisors, and atmosphere
Cons
No 401k match, healthcare
Nice place to work.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJune 15, 2016
My typical day at work is checking email, and voicemail to see if any missed pick-ups. Check my load board to see what my freight look like.

What I learned at RR Donnelley is developing great relationships with my customers. Also, developed a great report with the carriers I dealt with everyday. It mad my job easy to move freight that became difficult to move.

The Management at RR Donnelley is very shaky. The Management there is not freight knowledgeable. Meaning, do not know when, where the hot areas are located. Just holding their hand to let them know when produce are hot in certain areas.

The hardest part of the job is not trusting Management. Management at RR Donnelley are walking on egg shells. No body knows when their jobs are being cut.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I worked with. Also, I enjoy moving freight and making the carriers happy and develop that trust.
Pros
Family Oriented, flexible schedule, Great workers
Cons
No raises, will not pay overtime, Benefits are horrible, No 401k
Love my co-workers
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 14, 2015
I really love the company and the co-workers, but I need to be able to move to Beaumont to raise my daughter with my child. It's been a wonderful job, but I need to make a lifestyle change.
Cons
I have had 5 new bosses since March, Too many new policies put in place and I can't keep up, Is not consistent with what I have to do, I need consistency
Nice Co workers, horrible schedule
Cylinder Technician (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INMay 15, 2016
This place runs 24 hours a day 365 days a year. I worked a 3 shift schedule. In the cylinder technician room your able to be bumped off your shift every 8 weeks being 1st shift is the favorable shift. Very hard to adjust to. Especially if you have family. Most of the time you will work 6-7 days a week. I worked 45 days straight with 3 days off. The work it's self isn't bad, the work schedule stinks, being 3rd shift is 12am-8am. Pay is decent, but the benefits are horrible. No 401k match, the pension plan has been gone since 2012, management looks at things as "we've always done it this way" and don't want to attempt to adjust to a new procedure. The equipment runs to fail, and is really old. Very disappointed I left a job to come to this place and it turned out to be way worse. This place could be doing very well, if they understood what lean manufacturing was.
Pros
People
Cons
Work schedule, benefits
Typical Corporate BS
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2016
RR Donnelley is a typical greedy company.
They don't value their employees. Raises nor bonuses are given to plant employees but the higher ups always get a bonus.
You have to be there 5 years before getting more than 10 days vacation time.
They do not match your 401k and the insurance hardly covers anything.
There is very high turnaround.
They do not promote from within and there is hardly any room for advancement.
The work is mentally taxing, lots of long hours.
Pros
Good learning experience, paid overtime
Cons
Pay, benefits, vacation
Just laid off 100 employees this week
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 30, 2016
Horrible management teams and terrible benefits $4,500 deductible with $6.5K out of pocket max. . Multi million dollar company can't even afford to match 401K for their employees. Very sad place to work, No moral boosts, seems like we take one step forward and 15 steps back on all old fashioned "upgrades" they do. Web site is not user friendly, management does not listen to suggestions on how to win more sales and marketing team is sub par. Communication is a huge issue here on top of it all.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Steady work for many years and plenty of room for growth.
Professional Distribution Planner Logistics (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILMay 15, 2016
Busy days with constant switching to prioritize and meet customer demands while learning faster more efficient ways to accomplish tasks in a timely matter. Management was always there to help work out problems and reach solutions. Coworkers in my environment worked closely together to resolve issues and finish work tasks in a timely matter. Hardest part of the job was waiting for very late information from suppliers to be able to begin my daily tasks. Often they would put us right down to the last hour or so before we could begin our work with their furnished information. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with so many people internally and externally on a daily basis.
Pros
Great work stability and room for growth.
Cons
Some confusion in a large work environment, Very rapid changes from external customers, Not a lot of over all incentive any more.
Pays the bills
Shipping Group Leader RR Donnelley (Current Employee) –  Oberlin, OHOctober 22, 2015
Hours 9-5 M-F Good co-workers. Nice building in a good location.
Clean rest rooms, nice lunchroom.
Salary is OK but very small or no raise
the past four years.
Pros
A/C
Cons
Lack of communication between workers and management.