RR Donnelley Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,106 reviews matching the search
Not a good place to work.....Anymore!
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Salem, VAApril 24, 2016
After working at RR Donnelley for over 10 years the company (at least the plant I work at) has gone down hill rapidly over the last 3 years. We used to have a schedule that allowed us to have a life outside of the job but now with 10 hour shifts and working every weekend makes life outside hard. I no longer have time with my family and hate working at RRD now. In addition, the company is splitting into 3 companies and that could be good or bad or the same. The benefits are expensive right now I pay over $500 every 2 weeks for the highest paying insurance that may change after the split (at least we can hope).
Pros
Good people to work with....
Cons
Everything else.... Management is complete chaos, unorganized, and could care less about the employees!
Leader of an industry in retrenchment
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 9, 2015
P&L responsibility for $31M retail marketing communications business including revenue and expense management in a matrix organization, integrated with client, strategic partners, sales, operations (local, domestic, offshore) and technology teams.

Implemented the go to market strategy for the North American platform’s new $76M , client-facing, web-based, software-as-service business.

2.5 years management of skilled manufacturing operations with 4 departments and 40+ employees on 3 shifts

1.5 years management of 40+ publisher accounts and provided technical leadership for customer service team
Pros
Substantial autonomy as an operations director
Cons
Declining compensation and benefits. Shrinking industry.
The only thing that was good was the pay
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INMay 14, 2016
Worked third shift and wanted to transfer to 1st or 2nd, but had to wait for an entire year before doing so. I learned a lot from being crossed trained. However, I was crossed trained because they could not find others to do the job at that time. Co-workers were great, because we all had something in common, our dis-like for the job. And it really wasn't the job, it was the people who was running the plant. Management was not that involved with helping, they were more concerned about their own positions and keeping them, then what was going on around them. The most enjoyable part was going home.
Pros
The pay
Cons
The management staff.
fun place
Sr. Oracle PL/SQL Developer (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 18, 2015
Fun place to work, good support from management. My colleagues are good experts and i have learn many things from them. Decent benefits, good culture and friendly people.
Horrible
Kitter/binding (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILMay 15, 2016
A normal day at RR donnelley is sitting in the lunch room for hours waiting for someone to come get you for work. It's like prison! Big bosses say or mentioned said you cannot have pop on the floor but all the hugeeeeee ladies get to enjoy it. And the ladies wash their feet in the bathrooms. Nope not joking I saw it! And the greatest part is your told last mintue your working a Saturday and Sunday with no warning on friday nights! So basically if you have a family or spouse run don't work here.. i never saw mine. Not worth 9 dollars an hour!!

I repeat 9 dollars an hour!

Hours promised 3pm to 11:30 than we wouldn't leave till 3am
Pros
Clocking out
Cons
Going to work
Relentless sweat shop, they own you.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 13, 2016
Feeding 28 conveyors at a decent rate of speed to make the work shift go fast. also in the process jumping over the line and running up and down the line to get stops, clear jams, and help out,clean up any way possible.
Some supervisors who worked out on the lines before were compassionate about how extreme the work was and were lenient a little about taking a breather. but would stop sometimes to make small talk to see how you were doing. the one's who didn't were always looking for any reason to write you up.
The hardest part of the job was shift change and having to carry any co-worker that was a load. And the blatant laziness of some when you would try and tell them what they should or should not be helping out with.
Talking to some of the nicer people that could take a joke, and remembering the funny ones that passed away too soon.
Pros
holiday meals
Cons
lazy co-workers
Good work environment
Production Technology Support (Current Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJJune 30, 2015
My typical day at work involves monitoring production servers and applications to make sure they are running smoothly, responding to user support incidents in a timely manner and troubleshooting them to resolve them based on my experience and the existing documentation, and escalating the issue to a higher level of support if I am unable to resolve the issue. I have learned to be much more self-reliant, as I work the overnight shift and assistance is not always available, and I also make sure to document any new solutions to issues of which I had not previously been aware. The hardest part of my job is communicating with my co-workers as they work in the daytime and I only see them for about a half-hour a day at shift changeover.
Cons
Health benefits have decreased since the time I started working here
Living to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  BolingbrookJuly 30, 2015
Lots of drama and back stabbing. Doing a good job compensates you the same as the guy not doing his job at all. Management gives no support; sink or swim mentality. No manual to follow so everyone does the same job duty differently. Lack of communication. Everyone on the defense and will complain to anyone but you if they have an issue. You will have no personal life because you work holidays and weekends
Pros
Cons
little pay, no 401k match, health benefits expensive, no management support
Fast paced unfriendly place to work
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plover, WIApril 10, 2016
A typical day is fast paced with multiple people continuously asking how soon the project you just started on will be done. The environment reflects the type of leadership, unfriendly. There is very little conversation between employees even during breaks, which are very short and few. Management seems to have a disregard for employees and doesn't seem to care that they have an extremely high turn over rate.

The hardest part of this job was working in the unfriendly environment and feeling like you were just one of many disposable employees. The best part of the job was learning some new skills such as using JD Edwards and how medical inventory works.
Pros
Learning JD Edwards
Cons
Few and short breaks, unfriendly environment, uncaring management
Typical Corporate BS
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2016
RR Donnelley is a typical greedy company.
They don't value their employees. Raises nor bonuses are given to plant employees but the higher ups always get a bonus.
You have to be there 5 years before getting more than 10 days vacation time.
They do not match your 401k and the insurance hardly covers anything.
There is very high turnaround.
They do not promote from within and there is hardly any room for advancement.
The work is mentally taxing, lots of long hours.
Pros
Good learning experience, paid overtime
Cons
Pay, benefits, vacation
no financial support for 401k for 2 of the 3yrs working there
2nd pressman (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 14, 2015
Working at RRD was a learning experience. I was constantly reminded having the job was not my priviledge, but theirs. I watched one of the biggest turnarounds I have ever seen for the position of 2nd pressman. During my first year there felt threatened to hold my position constantly. I only received a 1% raise the entire time I was there. With the exception being when I was hired. I was extremely underpaid and felt left out of the corp group of original employees. I firmly believe I was seperated from the company because of my belief in speaking the truth about the job polcies and management.
Pros
Cons
old equipped that we were not allowed to maintain properly.
A place for winners
Manager, Business Process and Technology Solutions (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2016
Great place to work and advance if you are talented. Great work life balance and awesome management (atleast at the corporate office)
Worst place I've ever worked, by far!!
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 13, 2016
This is definitely the worst admin asst job I've ever had!! There is very rarely any work to do and when you do have something, their systems don't work...constant error messages!! The atmosphere is extremely depressing. Your stuck in what used to be a storage room and you can't bring anything into the room, no purse, cell phone, notebooks, magazines, you name it! You can't even have a wastebasket at your desk. You are not allowed to have or use a printer or copier, which makes it very difficult to do some of the work required. No training, extremely small raises. There are SO many restrictions and they don't care at all about their employees! For instance, on Admin Asst day we didn't even get an acknowledgement of the day...not a word! If you need supplies, you're pretty much on your own. They don't want to spend ANY money on their employees. The turnover is ridiculous for obvious reasons. We call the new people their 'next victims'! Please heed my warning and stay clear of this place at all costs!!!
Pros
Absolutely none!
Cons
Everything about the place!
Good location
Staff Mark (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 19, 2016
Overall a good place to work and a great location but just got a better salary offer. As a Project Coordinator is the liaison between customers and Pre-media production team. Primary responsibilities included; scheduling, estimating, obtaining job detail information from client, job tracking, assuring quality of customer expectations are met, and invoicing. This position was to seek and enrich the customer experience through service, a positive attitude, a sense of urgency, clear communications and the utmost professionalism in all interactions.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Very controlled environment
Liked the work and coworkers.
Crewing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNAugust 5, 2015
Leading employees as to what was to be completed by priority each day. Learned how to do various jobs, including machinery, documenting, filing, training employees etc... Worked very well with management and coworkers. Excessive overtime was the hardest and being with other employees was enjoyable.
Pros
Benefits, working Monday through Friday
Cons
PPE, wearing steel toed shoes, pinning hair up, no jewelry not even a wedding band.
Review
Electronic Tech/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJune 2, 2016
Hours that are required are typically on an off shift for example second or third shift. The pay compensation is very good and the benefits are minimal at best. Printing environment with busy hours and a lot of overtime with a lot of required overtime. Blue collar job dealing with people who sometimes have and abrasive or undesirable attitude. Business sector that is being outfaced and makes constant cut backs do to the challenging market place, for example the cutting back of training programs and benefits.
Pros
Compensation
Benefits
Good people to work with.
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIFebruary 9, 2016
Typical day at work was easy to difficult depending on job schedule.
I learned how to get job done with minimal staffing.
On duty shift managers were very helpful but some of upper level management was clueless as to what production could do.
My co-workers were knowledgeable, helpful and enjoyable to work with.
The hardest part of the job was the variable 12 hour night shift. Two days on two off working every other Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was printing the best quality job possible and maintain the work schedule.
Pros
extra pay for meeting quarterly profits.
Cons
12 hour variable night shift 5 pm to 5 am.
na
Senior Financial Reporting Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2015
Great place to work and great benefits. Management is great. Travel requirements are reasonable and the employees believe are friendly.
Least pay in manufacturing, no breaks
Production Assistant (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMay 6, 2016
Work 8hrs with maybe one ten minute break if you are lucky. You are encouraged to "eat on the fly", no scheduled breaks so you have to wait until someone comes to offer to take your spot for five minutes, you can't even use the restroom unless someone can take your place or your partner is willing to cover you. You are not allowed to go out to your car at all during your shift. The pay is the least I've seen in any manufacturing. Most places start at about $2 more. Extremely high turnover. Very physically demanding.
Pros
Cons
Pay, no breaks, no meal period
Many changes are ahead for the new RR Donnelley companies
Senior Production Planner (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 23, 2016
The old RR Donnelley of the past has definitely gone. As people retire and others find new places of employment, the company has changed some for the good and some for the bad.

The Good -
The people
Time freedom
Opportunities to learn

The Bad
Difficulty communicating with management
Knowing the vision and direction of the company
Pros
People, locations
Cons
Unclear company vision of the 3 new companies, poor benefits