RTI Surgical Employee Reviews

Great company. Friendly coworkers
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FLSeptember 21, 2017
If RTI had opportunities in Oralndo area I would prefer transfer. Enjoy the job and what they do to enrich lives. Overall management are looking to improve output. Senior employees may not be as yielding to change.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Limited mobility
Good place to start your career
Tissue Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLAugust 25, 2017
Good company, good people, good benefits. I enjoyed working there. A company with future. It just hard when you have to decide if spend time with your family or fulfill your responsibilities because you have to work to much. Good place to work, but is hard to get a balance between life and work. Not all the positions work on weekends though.
Pros
Growth opportunity
Cons
Work on weekends
Tissue Tech (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FLAugust 1, 2017
Enjoyed time here, friendly atmosphere, good structure, nice people, room for growth and improvement. An overall interesting company to work for with good benefits
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLJuly 19, 2017
.good place to work. new CEO hired recently and he is expected to bring positive structure to the company. that is what the company needs. More sales.
I couldn't afford to quit so I had to stay
tissue processor III (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLJune 8, 2017
The job is stressful. There are a lot of personality conflicts and they don't take that into consideration when placing a person in a department which causes a lot of arguments and conflict. When you go to management they do nothing about it. When I worked there I was doing 4 full-time jobs and when I said something about it, asked for some help I was told that I could handle it. I was fired when I messed up a bone batch because I had so many things to do that I made a mistake.
Pros
pay
Cons
overwhelming
Mess of a Place
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 6, 2017
I only gave 3 stars because the product they make is life changing. Otherwise 1 star. The management is poor, the culture is poor. Little to no communication. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Quality department runs the business. Marketing drives R&D. It's no wonder the stock is so low and the company is barely profitable.
Good company great benifits highly mismanaged
Tissue Processor (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FLFebruary 6, 2017
Management has a lack of experience, wisdom, and vision. Anytime employees present ideas for improvement they are almost always disregarded. Flaws in production and safety are ignored until a crisis or injury occurs.
Pros
Great benifits, and above average wage for the area (entry level).
Cons
too much reactive instead of proactive. Lack of experience from maqnagement
Decent pay, easy work, awful management
Tissue Processing Tech II (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FLDecember 14, 2016
The work as a tissue processor is repetitive since it is a manufacturing job. There is potential to make good money if you spend long enough here (get a bit of a raise every year if you do your job correctly and learn new tasks), and the benefits are good enough, but the management, at least in the Sports department, is terrible. Workers are treated like children and are micro-managed to the point where it can be difficult to get the job done. After taking over a new operation 2 years ago they still have no idea how to do even the basics of the job. They often send employees to different areas, leaving the other area under staffed with no assistance.

Co-workers are great and there are 3 shifts so you can usually find a schedule that works well for you. The work is easy enough, although there is a lot of cleaning involved since the areas for processing are designated medical clean rooms.
Pros
easy work, co-workers, experience
Cons
management, takes long time to build up good pay and PTO
Good quality products
Product Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLAugust 25, 2016
My review is dated from the 90's and early 2000's. However I remember the great quality products and great employees. I truly enjoyed my early career year at RTI.
Nice place with great benefits.
Manufacturing Helper (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLJanuary 24, 2016
They're still learning their management structure. They were very good about cross skill learning and advancement. They were pretty good about how much you had to get done in a day and only scheduling for that, except for the Autoclave.
Once a great company
Employee (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MINovember 16, 2015
This once great small company is slowly becoming your average large company. Ethics and quality were once the heart of the company but it has become all centered around ebitda. Upper management has created a toxic mix of yes men and ladder climbers.
Pros
Lots of great coworkers, Lots of interesting technology, Good place to gain experience for other employers
Cons
Management philosophies, ever eroding benefits package, HR department is a free for all, lack of personal growth potential
Progressive company, great benefits and management
Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLOctober 8, 2015
A typical day at RTI consisted of working in a sterile environment while using sterile techniques to process and package sterile tissue for surgical use. The management staff was always on hand to answer any questions and help with any issues that may arise. My co-workers were some of the best people I have ever worked with. Team work was paramount.

The hardest part of the job was being inside for most of the day with no view outside, However working with the people both management and peers made it worth while.
Pros
Benefits, pay, people
Cons
working inside without windows.
Programmer 2 (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FlSeptember 16, 2015
RTI is a great place to work. Always a fun work environment with enough work to do so that there is very little to no downtime.
Pros
Busy, Fun, Friendly
Cons
Management changes mind constantly
Great place to work!
Sports Medicine Processor (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FloridaJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at RTI is one full of production goals and quotas. The environment that is created is on in which these goals and quotas are easily met. I have learned several skills while at RTI. I have leaned how to run an Autoclave machine, how to cut sterilized tissue into numerous sized graphs for surgeons and doctors, and how to decipher certain tendons in the body. I also have learned how to manufacture bone tendon bone and bone tendon graphs using sagittal saws and drills. The leadership team I am currently working under is good at what they do and good at promoting a work environment that is very enjoyable. The team I work with is very dedicated to maximizing the gift of donation and full of people willing to go the extra mile to get the job done. The hardest part of my job is, just trying to make sure I do everything I can to get the most out of a donor, and the most enjoyable part is knowing that what I am doing will change a recipient's life, and that makes me feel good!
Pros
great work environment, monthly luncheons
Cons
workload at times.
Fun workplace where you can always find some way to help out.
Cell Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FLJuly 18, 2015
RTI is a pretty amazing place. There are many different departments to get involved with and even more different processes to master. One great thing about RTI is that the processors, who are closest to their work, are able to provide feedback that can lead to meaningful change and, ultimately, better processes.
Company of Bullies
Associate (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLJuly 6, 2015
Management are learning as they go, and unfortunately that means many employees are guinea pigs. Do one thing wrong, and you will suffer daily for it. Expectations are extremely high when learning a brand new job, and it doesn't matter the physical or mental disabilities you may hold. That's out the window if you mess up. They say they like a work/life balance but that's extremely untrue. Mess up and you're going to pay relentlessly. This company seeks out very young management and if you're not on board with everything their young managers like, then you're likely to be bullied until you change your mind or change your job.
3rd shift, prodcutive and good place to work
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJune 2, 2015
Learned many new things about CNC machining. They trained me very well. I would run three lathe machines making production surgical implants and tools.
Cons
Short breaks, bad managment, bad benefits
Join the Gossip or Leave
Communications Department (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLJune 1, 2015
Each department is very different depending on the manager; however, it is very common that people are advanced solely on their personal relationship with the previous supervisor, as opposed to having actual qualifications and leadership skills to properly manage a team and/or department.

It's also not uncommon to find much drama and gossip in the workplace, so be prepared to wear headphones all day so that you can avoid the drama. But also be mindful that if you don't engage in the gossip, then you might be considered to "not fit in" and will be excluded from regular conversation.

Do I recommend this company? Probably not. If you want to progress in your career and advance professionally, then take a job elsewhere.

Those are my two cents.
If you are un-educated-steer clear
tissue tech (Current Employee) –  alachuaMay 5, 2015
very very political over there. Way too much he said she said type stuff. Especially if you work in the core, where management has never been. It's a joke and a trap. And if you are just a worker-the engineers treat you like an idiot.
Pros
Cons
everything
Growing company and a good place to work
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Alachua, FLFebruary 26, 2015
A lot of opportunities to learn different aspects of the business. This company produce a lot of great products mostly derived from tissue and also medical devices. Very friendly and talented people and teamwork oriented culture. Since I started working with them my strengths were identified and oportunities to use those strengths and to develop more have been provided. Your experience and knowledge is really appreciated by management.
Pros
Nice work environment and great people
Cons
Still growing, developing and improving which brings opportunities for those who bring knowledge and experience