Ruan Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Flex Schedule, Poor Management
Terminal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Green Forest, ARMarch 4, 2016
Awesome schedule, very flexible. Management lacks adequate communication, there's a lot of confusion. There's also a lack of accountability across departments, with different managers blaming one another rather than simply solving the problem.
Pros
Flexible schedule, decent benefits
Cons
Low pay, no advancement potential
Excellent pay
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Foreman, AROctober 24, 2015
The Company has an extensive benefits package. Aflac insurance is additionally available. Pay rate is a little complicated. Basically its Load rate x load weight x 0.29 = pay

Additional pay from specialized jobs called spreads.

The Cons.

While the Company is indeed a good company to work for the fluctuating hours make it a difficult job to maintain a proper healthy sleep pattern. Older drivers who have worked at the company for a number of years tend to look down on newer drivers as being inferior and will at times bluster their way past you claiming seniority.

Management is generally easy to work with and dispatch tries to help as much as they can.
Pros
Excellent pay, Benefits, home nightly
Cons
Rude employees, Alternating hours, limited sleep schedual
Great place to work.
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 10, 2016
I was never employed by Ruan, I was a temporary employee through a service. A typical day was so fun processing orders for international shipping. Dealing with the employees and working with the company we were contracted to work for. I loved everything I did and learned something new everyday. I found everyone to be so nice and professional my boss was a wonderfully smart and great person to learn and work with. The hardest part of the job was learning that they lost the contract with the company we dealt with in my position and having to be let go after my boss said he was going to hire me on full time.
Pros
Nice office, lunches paid for from time to time. Learning constantly.
Cons
Working with a service to get the job.
Excellent pay when working.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CAApril 30, 2016
When you are running the money is amazing. However they tend to hire too many drivers and that causes a lack of work.

Communication isn't too bad. Could be improved upon.

Biggest problem is that one night you start at 11 pm. Then next night could be 4 am. The next could be 2 am. You get the point. Very hard to get into a sleep pattern.

Nobody is looking over your shoulder. If you do your job then nobody bothers you.

Equipment is pretty crapped. But drive able.

All drivers a slip seating including sleepers. Kind of sucks to not have a CB radio and constantly setting up ur truck.
Pros
Good pay. They don't hassle you.
Cons
Inconsistent start times. Slip seating trucks (need to lay out bed each time)
Nice place to work
Freight Broker/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 24, 2016
Great company, management very understanding, helpful. Training lacked a little bit but overall nice place to work. Monthly bonuses were great, made your job a challenge to hit that goal which was nice and added excitement to the day to day challenges. Employees were friendly
Pros
monthly bonuses
Average trucking job
Route Driver/ Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 16, 2015
I worked for this company for nearly 5 years. It is a demanding job that requires a lot of time away from home. The hardest part of the job was not always knowing when you would get home and what loads you would be running. There was a certain amount of unpredictability. The management was reasonable and understanding. However, the nature of the job required a lot of give.
This is the nature of trucking and either you like it or you don't. The compensation was fair but not great.

I'd like to be more positive about my time there, but it was a job and just a job. I did apply for other positions within the company,as I know other drivers did also, but there is very little upward movement for drivers in this company.
Great Place to Work
Driver / Driver Safety Instructor / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Tulare, CAAugust 4, 2016
Ruan is a great place to work. It has many advancement opportunities, as well as good pay, but typically not great pay. The number of hours worked and times required to work are inconsistent depending on what you do.

Co-workers are generally easy to get along with, however the union shops are sometimes frustrating, as they probably are most places.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement.
Cons
If an account goes away that you're working on, so do you.
Temp job though snellings
Through Snellings temp job (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMJuly 6, 2016
logging workers hours, dispatching loads, and finding tanks. Learned lots of information related to the trucking industry. Co-works made the work place a welcoming environment. Hardest part of the job would be that it was a temp job. Most enjoyable was learning new things.
enjoyed my job
Dispatcher/MILK (Current Employee) –  Ripon, CAMay 14, 2016
loved the crew i worked with, loved the hours and the enviroment, Good pay ad great benefits. this was the kind of place that you could have co workers cover for you for family events and you could call your co worker at home and ask a work related question or on a rough day they would show up down there to assist, no one let the other struggle alone
Productive and pleasant place to work
Terminal Assistant/ Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 10, 2016
Ruan is a great place to work and wonderful management. The company provided tools to make day to day operations successful. Ruan always looked to the future on how to improve processes.
Pros
Excellent hours of work
Cons
Heatlhcare
good place to work
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
overall a good place to work the company is moving in the direction of some of the large company`s they compete with. we will see in the next few years if Ruan will be able to hold onto that family business feel but still be a large company.
Every day cant be a good day in trucking..
Class A CDL Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 17, 2015
I enjoyed working at Ruan Transportation, but due to our office being flooded out and hearing nothing from management. I decided to move on with no way of knowing my job security situation!!!
Pros
Good company to work for..
Cons
1) Long hours 2) No communication from management when office flooded
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2016
Decent place to work. Especially if you are new to the industry or just out of college. They will be willing to promote you quick if you are willing to work hard and travel when needed.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Benefits, lack of time off, compensation
Consistent
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 5, 2016
I love my job here. Always professional and courteous. Recently, due to family issues. needing a job to be home everyday.
A great place to work
Implementation and Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 19, 2016
I have never seen a company that cared more for their drivers than Ruan. I loved working there. I loved traveling to company terminals to train terminal personnel and drivers. I especially loved doing start-ups of new terminals. Hiring staff and drivers. Setting up the terminal.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Too much turnover in leadership (Corporate level)
stay away
dispatcher / load planner / customer manager (Current Employee) –  Fridley, MNMay 4, 2016
they will act nice and stab you in the back give it a year. they will go behind your back change the work you have done and talk about you negativley behind you back.
Micromanagement with Processes Implementation
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2013
Good Compensation, vested in training you. However, in the training process they want to "document" you to death. If you don't learn fast enough, senior management will write you up. They have high expectations for supervisors/management, however they won't stick up for you with the 3 PL Client. They will implement process improvements that will take up most of your day when you are suppose to be routing trucks and notifying drivers. Culture of fear is the best I can describe my 6 month tenure with this company. I had a driver call me up early in the morning and cuss me out, however, he was deemed too valuable to fire.
Pros
compensation good
Cons
process implementation and senior management lack of intestinal fortitude is very disturbing.
Decent compay
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 9, 2015
Ruan is an alright company. There is very few opportunities for team work. Lacks in culture and there is very few opportunities for advancement
Ruan has a good work enviroment, that will use all available HOS.
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2015
Ruan is a good place to work. The wages are fair and the opportunities to learn different types of trailers and accounts are great. You will make a good livable wage for yourself and your family but you won't get rich. The other drivers are fun and interesting and you don't have to worry about leaving your personnel items in a truck overnight. Benefits are good. Medical deductibles are getting high. Managements discipline is often not applied equally. Perfection is a high priority expectation for drivers that is unspoken by management. The dispatchers are very easy to work for and fun to work with. Equipment is always new and very well maintained. Safety training and job training are exceptionally taught so you can take them with you on your next employment.
Pros
benifits, work enviroment, opportunities.
Cons
no set schedule, time off requires 30 day notice.
mineral wells dispatchers freindly and helpful
truck driver (Former Employee) –  mineral wells, txSeptember 2, 2015
a typical day at work was driving to jobsites in new housing comunities and finding closest and safest place to unload brick and place on job site, sometimes u would haul more than one load a day depending on where u delivered, then u would go to one of the brick plants and reload, for the most part drivers would help each other out if they had the time available. the hardest part of this job was trying to deliver when it was muddy due to rain or melting snow or ice. dispatcherrs at mineral wells location always did their best to help with maps or directions to new jobsites and making sure that their drivers got all the work they wanted and home time when they needed it, they were also very understanding when any problem arose
Pros
good pay, home weekends, good equipment

2.9