Rubio's Coastal Grill

Rubio's Coastal Grill Employee Reviews

It was a good job but the manager was very disrespectful
Seasonal/Part-Time Employment (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJuly 15, 2016
Rubios is a good job and hastuff good advancI guess benefits but, the manager was very disrespectful. I did not enjoy our conversations and he very often made me do things that were uncalled for. The food is great, and so are the other employees, I believe the manager I'm talking about got fired so it would no longer be an issue. Overall it was an okay job I enjoyed everything else about it
Pros
Half off lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Ups and Downs
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 8, 2016
Was hired on as a shift leader. Got paid $1.85 more than what minimum wage was. Wasn't properly trained. Thrown into many situations where it made me look bad because I wasn't trained properly. For the first year, working here was very miserable. There were days where I would come home and just feel like a failure. Sad to say, many times I just sat in the living room and cried. Mainly because I couldn't control what was happening at work. The turn over rate was incredibly high which made my job a lot harder. Many of the times when things went wrong were because I had NEW people on my shifts when I was still learning the ropes as well. Upper Management wouldn't properly train the new hires. After that first year hump, I trained myself to better myself. I knew no one else was going to help.

Do I recommend working here? Not really. There are rooms for advancement because the turn over is high (due to the fact that they don't increase wages as minimum wage goes up. Management who are currently there as managers when it goes up will only receive maybe a 25 cent raise while when they promote a new shift, that person will get a dollar raise and they leave the old management underpaid) but due to the turn over being high, that means most likely the new management wont be trained as accordance.

People are always calling out and management makes you feel guilty when you try to request days off because they are understaffed all the time.

The only good thing is the 401k's... started mine just to get some money saved and the first 6% you invest, they match with 10%. The only
  more... plus...  less
Pros
401k (after the first year hired), free lunches (for managers), easy advancement
Cons
call outs all the time, poor management
low pay, horrible management
Shift Leader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2016
Horrible management from in store management and upper division management. This company does not care about your feelings inside the work place. Ive worked at 3 different locations and they are all the same. General manager is nice when they need something, when they need someone to blame, they blame you. Made several human resources complaints, never got any sort of response. Low pay. only 80 cents more than minimum wage to be a shift manager. I quit, did not receive my final paycheck until 8 days later. When i am supposed to receive it 3 days after my quitting date. Horrible management.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management
Good pay, not so good management
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 3, 2016
Working at Rubio's is a very easy job. It can be stressful, no doubt, whenever we get busy or are understaffed, but it is not a difficult job. This job made me learn that I wouldn't want to work in food in the future. Management here can be very messy. There are sometimes drama between coworkers and management. I enjoy working with most of my coworkers. I don't have a problem with Rubio's itsself, there's just too much going on that hasn't really anything to do with the good of the store.
Pros
Half-off food, hourly pay
Cons
Short breaks, not always given breaks
Fun work place, pay does match
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 4, 2016
Good ambiance an place to work, but cant afford to keep talent with the competitive wages other companies offer. So hard to find good management who care about job. All though health beneifts are good an discount is amazing. Working with great food an always have something new coming out is exciting
Pros
50% whenever you come in our 100% as shift leader
Cons
few solid team members
Productive and Effcient
Line Cook/Prep Cook/GSA (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CANovember 9, 2016
A typical day will start out with a little bit of stress only, because we have about 2 hours to get everything done before opening up to the public. I have learned a lot at this job one of things I can highlight is sharping my skills of focusing during high pressure times during our peak times. My co-works are like a well oil-machine, because one of Rubios training exceptions is that were all crossed trained so everyone can help each other out. The hardest part about my job would also be the enjoyable part of my work an that is I am always working on multiple task and I am depended on with a lot of responsibility.
Pros
Their flexable, and Managment is approachable
Cons
Benfits can be bit expensive
good pace to learn management skills
SHIFT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 5, 2016
At Rubio's i have learned how to be a cashier, line cook, shift leader, and a manager in my 2 years of working there. At my particular store, we have had many ups and downs with management to the point where we lost our manager and i had to play manager for about two weeks and taught my self how to do invoices, make the order for our store and even go to manager meeting to represent our store.
great workplace to be employed at
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 5, 2016
sometimes slow
learned better customer service skills
management is very good and helpful
co-workers are nice and friendly
hardest part of the job is learning the register at first.
most enjoyable is the nice customers
Great Learning Experiemce
SHIFT LEADER/GSA (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CAOctober 11, 2016
Rubio's gave me the opportunity to work on my communication, teamwork and management skills. Allowed me to be open to new experiences and create a friendly "home" environment with customers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace
GSA (Guest Service Agent) (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CASeptember 11, 2016
I was a GSA and the job was relatively easy, the workplace was at times enjoyable, but there weren't too many opportunities to move up and the management was iffy.
Pros
Easy job, nice coworkers
Cons
Could be stressful at times, highly critical environment
productive, fast pace, a good place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTSeptember 6, 2016
A typical workday started out by restocking fish and sauces. We would clean. We would cook and start closing down the store. The gm was really nice and worked with everyone schedule. There was only a couple of shift leads i had a problem with. The hardest part was closing the store. The most enjoyable part was the people.
Pros
we would receive free entree cards and half off
Cons
short shifts and one 30 minute break
Fun place to work in good environment
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 27, 2016
For the 2 years working here its given me great experience in cooking, preparing food, and handling cutlery. Great first time job experience. Co-worker and management are great people to be around.
poor management
Cook (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAOctober 3, 2016
I do no recommend working at Rubio's because there is not proper training and no communication. Management is horrible and there are no repercussions for peoples actions.
Great people to work and shiftleader
Cook/Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAOctober 22, 2016
Everyone there is great I loved the job, I just couldn't keep having a little bit of hours but work six days wasn't good that I wasn't even getting my 30 hours in those six days
Pros
The employee are great people to be around
Cons
The general manager doesn't know how to talk or run the restaurant
Decent food, even paced and decent managers
Cashier/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAJune 27, 2016
not a bad place to work, typical assembly line of fast food, be ready to work and clean...everyone helps everyone. i had 3 different managers get fired at the place where i worked
Pros
learn how to cook basic foods
Cons
doing the dishes
Enjoyable job with great coworkers
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CANovember 17, 2016
The typical work day was enjoyable due to the fact that I was always busy . It made time go by faster and enjoyable. The team members are great people to work with because there was a seance of comradery.
Great company.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAApril 28, 2016
My GM was a great leader and motivator. He really worked with the employees to ensure everyone was happy at work. As far as our training manager the Assistant Manager was not a very good leader and had much trouble micro-managing. She was easily frustrated. I've learned a lot working here at Rubio's some things ive learned were to; micro-manage people, handle deposits and enter deposits in the computers, learned how to cook on all the lines in the kitchen. Everyday has its challenges I do not really like to think that jobs have hard parts at all times. The most enjoyable part about of the job were my co-workers.
Great
Customer Service Rep/Cook (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 24, 2016
I loved working for the company and if I didn't have to move in such a hurry I would have found a way to stay. Everyone was amazing and the company itself was amazing itself.
productive and great atmosphere
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  LAVERNE CASeptember 11, 2016
great atmosphere, fun people to work with, knowledge of produce and upcoming foods. GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH PROVIDED TOOLD TO BE SUCCESFUL
Pros
15 percent off
Cons
repetitiveness
Its a fun enviorment to work at, but expect too much for too little amount of paid.
SHIFT LEADER (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CA 92010May 30, 2016
I have been working here for a while now, and lately it has not been a good environment. The store does not work as a team. I am constantly doing all the cleaning and stocking.It get exhausted that it turn as a one team player, and everyone talks. I ask a GSA to do a cycle she reply, "Can't you see I am talking." Rude, and it was with the manger. It used to fun working here, but now its exhausted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rubio's Coastal Grill. Our community is ready to answer.