rue 21 Employee Reviews

its ok
Sales Assoicate (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARFebruary 4, 2016
Its a good job but there was alot of drama and you had to be apart of the "in" crowd for the management and other staff members to respect you and not have your hours cut for no reason.
Pros
no pros
Cons
cut hours for no reason
Fun work environment with amazing people
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Enterprise, ALJanuary 31, 2016
A typical work day at Rue 21 would start off making sure the store is neat and clean. My co-workers are amazing people. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of every customer.
Pros
Discounted items
Cons
very few hours
Fashion and Fun: Management Makes It Less Enjoyable
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 27, 2016
Typical day at work is doing my job and everyone else's job without the pay. I have learned that working in a company, the employees no matter their job title need to work as a whole instead of separate units to get what needs to be done, done. I am an associate and I do a lot of jobs that the management are more than often too lazy to do or they neglect to do it in the time frame and push it off on the associates to do. The hardest part of the job would be to do my job and everyone else's and taking the blame for the small tasks not being done. The most enjoyable part would be the benefits of discounts as an associate.
Pros
merchandise discounts
Cons
hours given to associates
Its okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJanuary 27, 2016
For the most part it's pretty simple, but some of the co-workers can really get on your nerves. There is not much room for a promotion, the pay is terrible. The best thing is the associate appreciation days.
ridiculous
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCJanuary 21, 2016
hires a lot of employees guarantees hours but schedules 0-4 hrs a week one day a week sometime none. store manager is young and doesn't have the knowledge on how to run the store. and also scheduling is way off a lot of favoritism.
Not much to say
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tooele, UTJanuary 19, 2016
The management that hired me at the time, quit on day of arrival. Near no training upon arrival and low pay, low hours. store at time was on lockdown due to internal and external theft.
Pros
friendly coworkers
Cons
low pay and not many hours
Good place to work fun environment
Full-Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXJanuary 10, 2016
I love retail being able to show off my customer service skills as well as my vision of how amazing I can make the store look.
Nice and easy place to work, friendly staff.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 8, 2016
A typical day at work is cleaning, working register and customer servicing. Hours are not reasonable nor are they based on part time and full time hours.
Pros
Fun, enjoyable
Cons
Work hours suck
Awful Place to Work
FT Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJanuary 6, 2016
Not worth the time. Very stressful, awful upper management, and pay is not very good for what you are put through. HR is also no help when dealing with problems like harassment or time fraud.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJanuary 6, 2016
It was very busy and I learned a lot about customer service and how to multitask when needed. I love the management and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was keeping our store neat after rush hours. The most enjoyable part was working there, the environment was great. It made me want to get up and go to work.
Pros
Discounts, co-workers, & the customers.
Cons
Short breaks, limited hours, and rush hour.
Fun but stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJanuary 6, 2016
Rue 21 was nice to work at because the people are friendly and the music was awesome. It was not so nice however to be scolded and asked to leave because you didn't want to force sales against people who clearly didn't want them.
Pros
Music
Cons
Ridiculous Quotas
Its a very laidback job long as you do your work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bastrop, LADecember 28, 2015
The job overall was very good to me just make sure that you do all of your recovering and that you keep your things around your cash register to minimum and your promote the sales and fragrances to up sales and you will be rewarded by being in a drawing that happens when you get the most sales of fragrances and sometimes more hours but if not the hours receive as a part-timer is very low to the minimum of like 5 hours a week only thing is their is too many people on the schedule and too many workers and not enough hours
A great place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, OKDecember 20, 2015
A great place to work if you are in management. Sales associates low payed and often not given the hours needed to make a living.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
after a year you may get a 15 cent raise
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Christiansburg, VADecember 17, 2015
The manager and employees were very warm and welcoming and treated me like family. i learned a lot about what goes into the fashion/sales industry and what it takes to run a retail establishment
Engaging workplace with room to grow.
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYDecember 17, 2015
A typical day at work could involve processing between 10-20 boxes of shipment or putting up a new visual or even having a surprise visit from the District Manager. The other associates are very helpful in getting you started and so are the managers, although at times it can feel like your not doing anything at all.
Loved rue21 but had a horrible General Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXDecember 9, 2015
LUFKIN STORE...At first, I really enjoyed working at rue. I was very good at selling fragrances and i loved making sells (that was the best part) my co workers say i was a very good worker! and I really had hoped I would get to move further up in the company because I loved working and making sells! The pay wasn't that good for the amount of hours that i was getting, but it was a job. I didn't really like the fact that i was hired as part time but worked almost 40 hours every week, they should've just hired me as full time so I would get the benefits. However, I never once complained about the hours, i was just happy to have a job that gave me good hours!!. I had a total of 5 managers!!!!!!!! All of the managers except the main general manager liked me. Why she didn't like me, im not sure. At first I just thought it was in my head. But one night i was sick throwing up all night and i accidentally overslept the next morning, it was only 16 minutes late so i let her know what happened and that i was still sick, and so she decided to fire me!!!!!!!! I had only called in once before this. I had worked there for almost 3 months and there were employees who had only worked there for a month and called in more than me, one girl didnt even call in and she didn't get fired!! I was treated unfairly and to top it off, the manager tried to accuse me of stealing $10 out of the register even though multiple people had used the register that day & the most my register had ever been short was like 10 cents and i used the register almost everyday! I honestly feel like I was used and fired  more... for an unfair reason. There were times when I only had like one or two days off and would go in for my manager because someone wouldn't show up for their shift, I went out of my way to try and be a good employee and im' pretty sure I was the associate that made the most sells in fragrances. If I could get my job back I would because I loved working there, but the lufkin store honestly needs a new general manager who won't be biased and who will be more flexible with peoples home life. Things happen, people get sick. I could understand if I had called in all of the time, but I had only called in once before! I've tried finding corporates number for employees to contact them but I can't find it online.  less
Pros
Good hours, Good coworkers, fun job
Cons
Horrible General manager
Productive quick paced enviornment
Customer Service, Cash Handling, Register/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILDecember 2, 2015
I worked at Rue 21 for a year but ended up moving back to Texas for my Senior year of high school.
I assisted customers with questions, needs and knowledge of our newest merchandise as well as pushed sales and operated the cash register.
great work environment, amazing employess and management
cashier (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GANovember 30, 2015
Absolutely loved my fellow co-workers, great to work with and always on time. Management was great to work with, cause I was going to high school, playing after school sports, and working. Management always worked with me with my schedule to ensure school came first, as well as making sure I got enough hours every 2 weeks on my checks.
Pros
great management, clean, well stocked, always helpful and amazing with customers
Cons
short breaks, cant advance easily in ranking, and a little crowded
Fun work experience
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Liberty, TXNovember 27, 2015
This was my most favorite job ever. I wish to this day I still had it, but I had a baby and moved to the big city. My store manager was the best, we had fun and we also knew when it was to work and get shipment done.
Terrible company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 18, 2015
Upper management is terrible! I didn't have help for 3 months when I only had 1 other full time manager and myself running one of the highest volume stores in the district. We had terrible theft issues because I was usually alone working doubles with no breaks lunches etc. Not a good company if you have children, to many tasks to do in the time your given to do them in and very little training for management.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else