Rue Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJune 21, 2017
Working with Rue 21 I met a lot of wonderful people and always got to help by giving my opinion and offering certain products to customers. With that I got the chance to work along side some amazing people.
Pros
40% Discount
Cons
Very little hours
The company does not take care of its employees very well.
FULL TIME ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 19, 2017
This job was stressful and higher ups did not see the stress in the management team below them. They did not exceed expectations of the team in need nor assist them as much as needed.
An easy going environment.
STOCK AND ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 15, 2017
When I first started working there I was lost and felt useless. But over time I warmed up to the surroundings and with a little encouragement was able to become a great help especially on the floor. Rue21 is a very social work environment that thrives on the energy of the store. nothing was truly hard about it. Other than the rearranging clothes and cleaning the store this place continued to be a sociable place to work so many different people you meet employees and customers alike.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
On your feet for hours
Draining
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KY, Bowling Green, KYJune 8, 2017
I worked at Rue 21 for over 3 years. Day one in this company was overwhelming and it did not stop the entire time I was employed. I would say I am an extremely hard worker and my work ethic was my ultimate downfall. When your coworkers do not help in the millions of tasks that are assigned each day, it makes it impossible to get anything done. While I enjoyed the fast paced environment, the customers were so disrespectful and the workers were lazy. Coming into management, that did not change much. I was always looking for new ways to motivate my associates, but the hiring was just terrible. The product is faulty and that doesn't help business much when you're having to take constant markdowns.
Pros
upward movement, fast paced, work with people your age
Cons
customer base, faulty product, management, stingy company
Fun
Sales Associate/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCMay 29, 2017
i had a blast in rue 21 because the people that i had worked with they where all speriets up high and they had really nice people to talk to, they away said Hi Welcome To Rue21 How may i help you.
Pros
Its not a great place to work its ok
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Ruston, LAMay 29, 2017
There were issues with privacy everyone inquired about everyone's salary and nothing was private, it was a very frenzied environment. The job overall was decent. The workload was sufficient it kept busy which is very good. Organizational skills, creative skills, time manamgement skills, and associate management skills must be in tact and willing to advance.
Fun workplace with a great environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2017
A typical work day for me was anywhere from 5 to 12 hour days with my given breaks. I could arrive and go immediately on the floor to fold the clothes on the tables or open a fitting room for a customer. I would either stay on the floor or I would go on the register. On the register, I would check out the customers after they were done picking out clothes. I was able to price check items and check balances on gift cards. If there were no customers ready, I would ensure the counter was clear and tidy, help bring clothes from the top down for customers, or help fold clothes on the table. The hardest part of the job was during holiday times where there were a lot of people shopping at once. The most enjoyable part was seeing the same customers and having conversations with them.
Good Multi-tasking environment if you are looking to gain skill in various tasks of retail, however unfair wages and bonuses
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hurst, TXMay 12, 2017
A typical day at Rue includes cleaning, organizing, recovering tables and wall shops. Planning is very important as a member of management at Rue as more tasks are sure to come at a rapid pace. I learned various skills in operations, visual merchandising, stock management, hiring, talent development. Workplace culture is what you make it. Each location is different from the next due to location, staffing, and District leadership. The hardest part of the job is juggling tasks with productivity and sales. Rue expects a lot from its employees, however the payroll and wages thereof does not reflect the required effort from the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to customize many elements of the experience (such as: staff, visual merchandising, backroom organization)
Pros
Fun work environment, freedom of self expression, hourly pay
Cons
Unfair wages, unrealistic expectations, slow development with long-term talent, horrible bonus program
Fun place to work with something to do everyday.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXMay 12, 2017
Usually mellow during the week, but gets pretty busy around the weekends. Definitely learned about sales goals (especially when it came to selling fragrance). Management is pretty understandable & always nice. The atmosphere of the store is very trendy & accordingly popular to what the latest styles that everyone's wearing. Hardest part of the job is store maintenance, as to keeping the store recovered and making sure everything is neat, clean & well presented. Most enjoyable part of the job is conversating with the customers & helping them by finding what they need because when it comes to rue21, customer service is VERY important (regardless).
Pros
Employee discount & dress code.
Cons
Pay rate & not enough hours.
Great job but the other employees are difficult to get along with
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Zanesville, OHMay 10, 2017
Managers are unwilling to train or help. They only criticize you. They never follow through with rewards or incentives. They managers typically sit in the back and gossip more than they are on the floor teaching, supervising, or helping.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks, make us milk the clock
fast paced work environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALMay 10, 2017
Fast paced work environment that requires multi tasking with minimum staffing and hours. I have enjoyed the last 6 years but unfortunately the company is downsizing.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INMay 10, 2017
Rue 21 is a friendly environment in which the people are fun and supportive. They run officiantly and according to their work sheets. They dont have good benefits or pay.
Okay, not great.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXMay 9, 2017
It was a means to an end, but by no means would I consider this a place to call your career. Just basic retail. Unrealistic expectations from corporate.
Pros
Got the days off that I needed with no issues
Cons
long lunch, discount
greatest work
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 9, 2017
the company itself wasn't that great, I believe they are finally finding their potential. My store manager, co managers, district manager is the people I couldve surrounded myself with.
Fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Locust Grove, GAApril 12, 2017
It was always a fun time at work. I enjoyed the freedom of not having to wear a "uniform" and could express myself through my clothes, hair, and accessories.
Pros
No uniform
Cons
Was barely offered hours unless peak season
fun productive and learning
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 22, 2017
sales associate greeting customers selling fragrances organizing merchandise managing cash registers cleaning department working with scanners and phone
Busy
team member performing cashier duties (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 14, 2017
You go in, get assigned an area, then you fold, fold, and fold a little more. You have to also provide costumer service. Management is a little disorganized.
Fun and easy going work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INFebruary 20, 2017
Loved this job. Very fun and energetic workplace! Never a dull moment around the rue store. hectic at times.. solely because it is clothing retail.
Good place to work when you have the right Manager
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PAFebruary 9, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Rue 21, but had a very difficult Store Manager to deal with.The job and people were wonderful.
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2017
Rue21 has a good working environment, everyone there gets along. All the workers are friendly. When I first started working there, everyone was very welcoming and were all willing to help me. After being at Rue21 for a couple of months, I feel like the environment is very friendly and everyone is kind. The environment makes me want to go to work.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rue. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval