Rue Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced, high task, high pressure sales
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 5, 2016
Very challenging, high pressure job. Tons of tasks to complete every day all while running store operations and helping customers. Often work by yourself, or at the most with one other associate. Lots of pressure to sell fragrance above everything else; you receive calls from the DM all day long if you are not making your fragrance goal. It will teach you to prioritize and work at a fast pace but expect to constantly feel overwhelmed. Most of the associates are high school or college age so it will help you with your people management skills. The company and upper management expect you to live and breathe Rue so don't expect to have much personal time or very much time off.
Pros
Good prices for clothes, good discount
Cons
very little time off, very few breaks, no holidays
Rue 21: A great starting company to work at
Full Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJuly 22, 2016
A typical day at work is processing shipment, business reporting, interacting with customers, helping customers to find what they are looking for, pushing sales and fragrance, and completing other tasks such as markdowns and visuals.
Rue 21 taught me how to be a leader, how to encourage others, how to help others feel confident.
My coworkers are absolutely amazing. They are always working hard and they never fail to put a smile on my face and the customers' face.
The hardest part of the job is when you have a customer you are unable to satisfy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the relationships you build with both staff and customers.
Fun and easy work place.
Sales Lady (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIFebruary 20, 2016
I would wait on customers and sell food. I learned how to deal money and count back and to work alone. The management was good. they worked very well with school schedules and family time.my co-workers did not work well with other people and they wouldn't help someone out if they needed it. There wasn't really any hard part of this job. I mostly enjoyed the customers.
Highly rewarding company to work for.
I.T. Director (Former Employee) –  Port Orange, FLMarch 16, 2016
Typical week is M-R 8:00-5:00 promptly; with Friday 8:00-4:00. Great benefits in in a very fast paced and rewarding environment.
Pros
Recognition for accomplishments, community involvement.
Cons
30 minute lunches.
Fun workplace!
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COOctober 25, 2015
A very fun environment with a young management team.

It's a relaxing work environment. Most days consist of organizing merchandise on the sales floor, while multi-tasking with greeting and assisting customers and focusing on handling transactions at the register.

The hardest part is selling fragrances, but even so, it is not incredibly difficult once you get the confidence and experience.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to do a wide array of tasks during your shift, as you are not confined to one area. The shifts are fairly short, so I'm never bored or tired when working!
Pros
Generous employee discount, 10 minute breaks for short shifts, fun work environment with a young staff, easy to manage with a second job or school, not open too early or too late...
Cons
Part-time associates don't have the most consistency with hours.
Fast pace ;
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYMarch 31, 2016
A typical day at rue first thing review the store from the night before, to make sure recovery was completed correctly. then go to bank, change order, get store ready for opening . Customers were first, then we would do mark downs, after they were done we would move all of them in the back of store. Then we would start to get the new merch. on the floor. We did have goals for the store on a daily, weekly,monthly yearly. We had sales goals on our Fragrances hourly,daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, the store I was over we were #1 in the district for three years in a row. then would fight for the first place with the new stores opening around us we would be #1 most weeks. and most months.
I had a lot of training on loss p, My store was always at a very low loss .53 or better on inventory or less. The company goal was a 2%. always received a bonus and also a sales bonus. also learned a lot with visual merch. Loved working with others training them.the hardest part was not having enough room to put all the items that were sent to us. I loved the fast pace and talking to the customers and helping them find new outfits to wear.I also loved working with co workers talking over ideas on how we could do things in the store to help us be the best we could.
Pros
fun place to work
Fun environment
Part-Time Manager (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOAugust 19, 2016
I enjoyed working here and received the opportunity to become an assistant manager. I was very thankful for this opportunity, because it was given right as I graduated from high school. I loved working here. It was a fun environment and always a great feeling when customers were pleased.
fun at times but very chaotic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 9, 2016
while I don't believe the pay matched the amount of work to be done it was a fun place to work at with a very welcoming staff that made it a good choice for a first job selection
Awesome loved the people i worked
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Was an amazing time there, it did have its ups and downs but i thrilled to work there, still wish i work there with my old employes
Productive and fun
Assistant Store Mgr./Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Covington, LAMay 2, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of following daily reports, making sure everyone was on task and accomplishing daily duties.
I learned how to manage a small group of associates as well as how to run company reports. I've also learned a great deal of customer service as well.
Management was very respectful and caring. They were always there to work with you.
Coworkers were just as respectful.
The hardest part of the job would have been irate customers.
The most enjoyable part was being a team.
Retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 14, 2015
Great discount on clothes and you meet a lot of awesome people but the down side is the pay but that's retail. I would only suggest this job if your a high school student or in college or maybe if fashion is your choice.
Pros
discounts
Cons
the pay
fun and active work place
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, VAFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day at work is laughing and talking with customers and making sure there finding everything alright.I learned that its more to retail then just folding clothes. Management are very hands on and i respect everything they do. As far as my co-workers we are a team and were just like a family. The hardest part of my job is not being able to make everyone of my customers happy. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers.
Typical Place To Work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  AlbemarleAugust 11, 2013
Throughout the day, I interact with over 20 customers and help them feel happy that they came in to the store finding what they needed and walking out the store, satisfied. I run the cashier on some days and just get to learn a lot about what customers like and stories they tell me. I have learned a lot from working here. Learning to not trust anyone or just going to work, to just work and it's not a place to make friends at all. Co-workers will always be nice to you and everyone else, you never know what's going on in anyone's minds. But I love working with each and everyone as I have been there for over a year now. Managers are very caring and always get things done. But, not everyone is perfect. Not every manager finishes what they are supposed to get done and some managers are just, lazy and can careless about what is suppose to be done for the day. The hours are very limited. You don't get as many hours as you expect to have. Overall, it's an okay place to work.
Cons
low pay, bad management
Not for me.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJuly 18, 2013
Management was horrible, staff was horrible, clients were horrible, environment was horrible.
I have nothing good to say about my experience here.
Pros
i got a paycheck.
Cons
favoritism, no breaks, no benefits, no reward for a job well done.
Big Work Load on Associates but The Company is Okay from time to time
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSJune 30, 2015
This Company Put Too Much Work load on It's Associates. Too Much Merchandise In the store,Too Much to Maintain and keep Clean and Organized For the Customers to Have a Great shopping experience.
Pros
The Company gives great Discounts
Cons
Not a Very Rewarding Company
Fun, energetic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCMarch 6, 2015
Rue 21 was interesting. Management had a firm grasp on direction of store and the discounts for employees were amazing.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 10, 2013
I love working at Rue! My co-workers and management are both great. I enjoy interacting with customers and employees. We have fun, but get the job done well! Working here has improved my sales skills, and we all work as a team which means we give each other pointers and feedback. Rue 21 is a great place to work.
great place
Customer Service, Retail (Former Employee) –  merrillville, indianaDecember 30, 2014
great employess, poor management, I loved my job because I love people. but they barely gave hours only to whom they favorite applebees management treated the employees as tho we were in high school
Pros
50% of food
Cons
poor mangement
Lots of turnover. Inconsistency with store management
FULL TIME ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, IllinoisApril 6, 2015
I have been through several store managers and several District Managers and two Regional Managers during my time there. Everyone changes policies each time they come in, and no consistency is present in the store.

I do enjoy the cashiers and associates that work under me. They are eager to learn and love the company they work for.
Pros
fun atmosphere to work in
Cons
inconsistency
Great place to start for my first job in high school!!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 23, 2015
It was a cool little job during high school!! learned to be responsible and develop the work ethic I have now! Was my first job and allowed me to save up for my first car

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rue. Our community is ready to answer.