rue21 Employee Reviews

Found 1,090 reviews matching the search
Productive workplace with busy environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Foley, ALFebruary 9, 2017
A normal day at workplace is coming into work where everyone is friendly and there is always something to do. Managers have a set goal plan for each day to make and its up to them and the associates to reach that goal. Everyday we go throughout the store constantly checking the table and walls and cleaning. As well as pushing stock daily and keeping good relations with the customers. It is a very great place to work for anyone wanted a fast paced and productive work environment. Also, for anyone looking to extend their knowledge and the current fashion trends and retail work space.
Great Atmosphere and Staff
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOFebruary 1, 2017
If you are great at customer service, this is an awesome job to have. They are good about working around my school schedule and there is always a positive atmosphere. It can be easygoing at times, and a bit of a challenge during the holiday seasons. I've enjoyed my time there, the one thing that I will say is that when it comes to being part-time, the distribution of hours is not always great, but they are usually pretty good about providing opportunities to get extra hours, and it also is a good look if you are a dependable person to come in often when they do give out those opportunities.
Pros
Flexible (you can work during the day or at night), ability to get extra hours
Cons
Benefits, Initial amount of hours
Stay away
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILFebruary 8, 2017
Horrible company to work for. Best thing about Rue was my associates and co managers i worked with. We had the best team ever until a non qualified distract manager took over and made our lives so much harder. Laziness for some people paid off while people that really worked were not appreciated. Crazy work overload with no payroll hours and appreciation for management and staff.Crazy mall hours in one of the busiest malls in America didnt really help. Horrible upper management, but glad i got to experience that because it made me realize how much more worth i have then rue 21.
Pros
Up beat place to work at, fast paced environment
Cons
Management, customers, company
Very fun place to work. Boss is very understanding of ur personal life and will work with you
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 21, 2017
There a lot of room to grow in this company. It's a good first job when you are in high school or out of high school. You learn to better your customer service, you learn about the fashion and the trends that are currently going on. You learn about visuals and how to put outfits together and layer things up. You learn so much working for rue that I do not regret ever making the decision of working here. I started as a part timer and worked my way up which I got printed three times.
Pros
Paid vacation, full benifits, good hours
Promises not fulfilled
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTFebruary 22, 2017
I am currently working at the American fork location, and it is not a good company/location. They will promise you raises/a higher job title and not follow through. They switch around all your managers and complain saying the associates don't know how to run the store, I'm sorry but that is the store managers job;not associates. The part time managers are great and will be willing to work with you, but as for the store manager...he does not look at your availability and schedules you when you are in school. The part time managers don't have a say in anything, and the district manager only listens to the bs the store manager tells her.
Pros
easiest job.
Cons
literally everything.
Very fun environment and a great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alvin, TXJanuary 17, 2017
I learned a lot working at Rue 21, such as how to work a cash register, how to sell fragrances, and how to work productively. A typical day at work was always very fun, I loved my managers and the people that I worked with. All of my co-workers were super nice. I loved how we all worked together to solve a problem or get a task done. The hardest part of the job was closing, because there was always a lot to do. However, I also enjoyed doing it because it was fun to get everything done with the people I worked with.
Pros
Associate appreciation days
Cons
Short breaks
Overall No.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 11, 2017
It's a fun environment, the store itself. But on the inside of the company, it's tiring and depressing. No breaks AT ALL. if you ask, and it's an emergency obviously you'll get a break but I doubt it lol. You're on your feet for 5-10 hours straight. Your feet will hurt no doubt lol! It's a fast paced and hard position. The store manager is excellent and she's determined, great person to learn from but overall working here is difficult. The drama is silly and everyone talks gossip (all retail jobs have that but it's silly here)
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Hours, no breaks, drama
Was my first job so of course I loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernal, UTJanuary 10, 2017
While working for Rue 21 I enjoyed doing tasks that included me working with customers and helping them find what they wanted and getting them out with smiles on their faces because they were so happy with the work I did. I really enjoyed the small staff and getting to know each and every crevice of the little place. Would definitely recommend to anyone as a first job.
Pros
Discount on all the cute clothes, accessories, perfumes, etc.
Cons
Minimum wage.
A productive and fun retail store
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 5, 2017
Being a manager at rue21 was one of the best work experiences I had. Everyday I was held responsible to either open the store, figure out our everyday sales plan and percent, opening the cash register, taking the deposit, making sure the store is prepared to open and the associates are assigned their tasks. Or prepare to close the store, find out the sales at the end of the day, and closing the registers. Everyday we all also had the responsibility to hit a certain percentage of fragrances we would have to sell to the customers.
Horrible place to work.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Hiram, GADecember 31, 2016
The manager acts like she has something stuck up her butt at all times. She is not understanding at all. Dont let her see you with your phone in your pocket (even when youre not on it) you will get in trouble. I had to have my cell phone on me at all times because my mom was very sick and i explained the situation to her but she wrote me up anyway. I was only there a few months. You cant really become friends with some of the employees because if your anything less than stuck up they will treat you like an outcast. A lot of talking goes on behind your back too.
amazing job, not enough pay.
Sales Associate/Key Holder/supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 2, 2017
I love working at rue21, the people are nice, the associates are all amazing, and the managers are not bad. the only downside is the pay. I made 7.75 /hr upon start then received a seasonal promotion and 1.00 raise. however I was made to believe I was going to get the position long term (twice) and they chose to gave it to someone else. which is all fine, but then I was informed I was going to be losing my raise after the season as well. I feel like I've put so much into my store and been the best I could be in hopes to continue to move up and feel as though I'm never going to actually get that chance. especially for minimum wage.
Pros
associate appreciation 2 times a month for 40-60% off
Cons
short breaks, bad pay, false promises
Good people but very stressful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lumberton, NCDecember 28, 2016
Rue21 is one of my favorite places to shop but very stressful for a working environment. Some days are enjoyable but others can emotionally and physically drain you. I must say I have learned to swallow my pride and to take one for the team. The most enjoyable thing about this job is the atmosphere when I'm surrounded by positive people, and the hardest is when I'm surrounded by negativity. Through this experience I have bettered myself and learned a great deal.
Pros
hard working people
Cons
negative people
Enjoyable but not consistent
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNFebruary 13, 2017
Have learned a lot of valuable skills for future jobs and allowed me to get a good starting job with great flexibility for schooling. Changed management but it has worked out fine. Great people to work with, fun, relaxed but task oriented environment. Hardest part of the job for me personally was inconsistency in scheduling. Typically need another job as well in order to sustain living needs.
Busy work environment
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILFebruary 8, 2017
-Cashiering, getting customers fitting rooms, giving great customer service, helping customers find what they need, putting out shipment/stock, meeting daily sales quota on products, and cleaning up the store.
-Learned how to sell products, and do inventory.
-It was at the mall, so it was always busy. So in between cashiering, other duties had to be done,
-Meeting new people, and working within a team.
Stay away from this company unless you want a pt sales position
Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  IdahoDecember 18, 2016
This job ruined my life. It nearly destroyed my relationship, kept me away from my family for months at a time, and thanked me by rejecting my request for a small raise. I ran the store for months and was replaced with someone less qualified who treated me like a punching bag until I put in my two weeks notice. Stay away from rue.
Pros
Good discount, fun atmosphere, cute clothes, holiday pay
Cons
Low hours, high turnover, no accountability, DM is constantly gone or doesnt answer their phone, cheap company, very few resources to help with problems in store other than emailing
company has poor upper management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 26, 2017
Though they paid good, they expected a lot of hours for their projects to get complete. They are opening many stores in a close proximity, which causes cannibalism. The product went from moderate quality to poor quality. You are made to feel you are a pawn in a game. Though the pay is good but when you break down the amount of hours you work, the pay is not that good.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Cutting hours during holiday month?
Parts Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 9, 2016
Ive been working at my store for over a year not. Much longer than my temp SM and she has given me 7.50 this week and old 3 hours next week because "they said to cut hours and the other mangers are supposed to get so much hours". Well thats more than likely a lie because the manager before her had to give hours the same way and i never had less then at least 15 hours a week. I work my tail off even tho ive been sick because of my pregnancy. So i have no clue if thats against policy or what. Ut it sucks
Pros
Discount
Cons
Stress. Not enough pay. Cutting hours for no reason
Okay place for teenagers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GADecember 19, 2016
If you are an adult, dont work here as an associate unless you are going into management. This company runs on low hours, no pay for too much work. I worked here for 4 years and they over work you for little pay and way too much relying on selling fragrances instead of actual customer service.
Pros
friendly customers and fun at times.
Cons
too much shipment, lack of care from corporate, not enough hours to wrk, no incentives
It was amazing for the time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTFebruary 10, 2017
this is a job that really helped me deal with my inner depression. I loved the co-workers. The managers were a bit non understanding, but it was the time of my life just to experience being a sales associate again. Working there allowed me my first opportunity at being a cashier. It was one of the best experiences ever seeing as i thought i wasn't going to be good at it or enjoy it.
Some great people under bad management
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Weirton, WVDecember 5, 2016
The work isn't bad. Departments have a morning meeting to hear statistics of past production and future goals. Everyone stretches before the work begins. The people are very nice. Unfortunately, management doesn't think about long-term hardships for the company or it's employees. They make bad decisions and have caused many good employees to lose their jobs. They also promote people based on how "buddy buddy" they can be, or how attractive they are. This shows that the company is destined to go downhill as it's already begun.
Pros
Usually have weekends off.
Cons
Low pay and low chance of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at rue21. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9