rue21

rue21 Employer Reviews

Relaxing environment with a great assisting staff
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Warsaw, INJanuary 25, 2015
This job has greatly matured me in many areas; notably with the management of people (both customers and employees). The environment in which rue21 provides makes it easy to grow, expand on, and advance in management. (I started as an associate and within 2 years was promoted twice). Only frustrating bit includes the occasional lack of consistency in the corporate offices, which has the potential to lead to diminishing communication, which ultimately has the ability to negatively affect individual stores. To be clear, this is occasional - a rarity - we are not in a constant state of dysfunctional embalmment. Rue is a wonderful, people-first company with a successful and devoted drive.
Productive and fun work place, nice customers and employees
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 20, 2015
Working at Rue21 was a fun experience for the fact you get to dress how you want and be yourself.. the employees at rue21 was very nice and very friendly. Working at rue21 i learned how to fold shorts properly and how to organize things from the lightest color to the darkest color or vice versa.
Typical High School Job
Logistics Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2015
Work overload, and underpaid. Unfair if you ask me. Mangers do not want to work.
Hip and Cool store
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bradley, ILJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: trendy clothes
Cons: benefits
I was a assistant manager for 5 years. It had it's ups and downs but overall I enjoyed the job and the people I worked with. The environment is fun because you get to kind of become a personal assistant in helping people shop and put outfits together. There are difficult times though; dealing with those customers who come in for the five finger discount, or who always want something at a sale price when it shouldn't be, but your going to run into something negative at any job. I like the fact that I have the freedom to dress as I please; showing customers our trendy clothing. I also liked being able to make the customer feel pretty and good about themselves by finding outfits for them and showing them what looks good on their body type; not everyone knows how to shop and knows what fits their personality and figure. I enjoyed being able to train new employees. I think the hardest part of the job was dealing with those customers who no matter what you do, they just aren't satisfied. I had customers who I knew by face that would cause problems all the time, but you just have to have patience and deal with them accordingly.
Fun environment for fashion enthusiast
Store Manager (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: 401k, healthcare
Cons: not enough time for staff training
This is a company built to last. I quickly grew with the company and moved into a Store Manager role in about 3 yrs.
Absolutely horrible
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), IndianaDecember 21, 2014
Cons: everything
I will never recommend this company to anybody. Your main focus is tasking and not the customers whatsoever. Corporate doesn't even know what's going on half of the time it's just horrible. If you have a family, forget about ever seeing them. Emergencies, you can forget that as well. This company doesn't care about their employees at all. As long as you make the fragrance goal that's all that matters. When dealing with corporate a few times, they were extremely rude. They talk to you like you don't mean anything when all you do is bust your butt to make sure your store is 100%. They open up new stores without replacing managers who have moved on from the company. This causes what managers they do have to work endless days, nights and they don't care. Rue has such a high turn over rate, so if you are hired on you'll see plenty of people come and go. Bottom line, do not work here. Maybe as a sales associate it's fine but as management move on.
Good for Part Time
p/t assistant manager (Former Employee), ncDecember 17, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: needs stronger management to control all the drama
a good company if you just want part time extra money. however if you are looking for a company that has strong management teams you may want to look somewhere else
Not a good structured team
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Auburn, WADecember 15, 2014
Pros: great discounts!
Cons: unorganized team
Love the store but didn't love working for the company as much. The staff were great people but there's a reason why many don't last in the company. It's way too stressful and many of the managers, from my experience, have been really lazy and/or slow. When you have hard working people who do a little bit of everything and your co-workers don't appreciate it you're bound to look for another company where others match your work ethic.
Fun place to work
FULL-TIME ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), Harker Heights, TXDecember 14, 2014
Cons: shorts breaks, expensive healthcare, low pay
Rue is definitely number driven and goal-oriented. I've worked here for two years now, but not consecutively. A typical day at work begins with simple tasks and markdowns, unfortunately in some stores the workload is heavier than others. In a management position there is a lot of work that could be divided up elsewhere, but its all doable. My coworkers were awesome, but the turnover rate was pretty high. I definitely enjoyed working for the company, but definitely felt I was underpaid.
its okay
Customer service/Cashier (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIDecember 11, 2014
its okay for a first job didnt really like it because its not my ideal career field
Horrible company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIDecember 8, 2014
Pros: occasional 50% weekends
Cons: fragrance, harassment, no coverage, no support from dm or lp.
As long as you get fragrance is all that matters, yes over sales ,ADS, and UPT, otherwise your DM jumps down your throat about how many fragrances you have in, or should I say rubbing alcohol. Also if you are a high shrink store LP will accuse you of stealing and lying, which is apparently a way to get people who steal internally to confess, but ends up feeling like harassment if you don't. Other than that LP does abosolutley nothing to help loss prevention, which we needed since we have shoplifters on a daily basis. I was the only to stop shoplifters since other managers where "scared" and didn't "get paid enough to". On top of that half the time I was the only in the store with no coverage which in my opinion is not good for customer service or loss prevention. Many people in upper management and LP, I know for a fact, break polices all the time, but if you slip up you are out the door. Many managers who still work this company hate it and just pretend they don't in front of their DMs. I was not going to pretend anymore. This is what lead me to quit.
loved this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), broosville, FLDecember 5, 2014
This is a fun job to have if you are into fashion. Employees work together to make the store look visibly appealing and easy to look through for customers. Managers had great communication and everything ran smoothly.
Employees are fun and energetic to work with! Not to mention always fashion forward to represent a leading fashion forward Industry.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Parker, CODecember 4, 2014
Pros: fun energetic staff; great prices for employees; awesome atmosphere
In my position of management I received a very good impression in regard to the overall operations of our business. Our General Management team and leading district regionals are top of the line with nearly twenty years of experience each. Days are very fast paste due to high volume locations and fashion forward apparel.
I would have the pleasure of interacting with very diverse groups of customers everyday. This would have to be the most enjoyable part of my job. Costumers would sometimes stop in just to see me and say hello!
Fun but Disorganized
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible with schedules, store management
Cons: disorganized higher managment
A typical day at work is busy, there is always something to do never a bland day. I learned how to handle difficult situations and how to manage a store. Co-workers are kind and friendly and are always available to take up shifts you can't work. Hardest part of the job is the physical demand and work load for such a small store there is so much things to do and staying way past close can be hard. Most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and the fun customers.
company i sawful
sales executive (Former Employee), wrentham maNovember 16, 2014
this company is awful i knkow for a fact part of the managment in the Massachusettsbranches sleep with their employees. mostly the gay guys. its embarrassing.
great place to shop but not to work
sales associate (Former Employee), Plainview txNovember 15, 2014
Cons: everything
I was hired and on my 6th before i came into work i had family drama follow me to work. I was told to deal with it even though i insisted that it could wait till i got off at 10. Needless to say it escluated. 2 hrs later i was told to go home and not to come back till they called me. 3 days later i received a call from the SM telling i missed my shift. Then he told me i was being let go for something that happened when i was off the clock and 3 stores away from Rue21. The training was unhelpful at best. The fact that you have to push perfume on every customer. What absolutely kill Rue21 for me was after i was let go the SM said for me to go visit the store and not to be a stranger. I will not shop there again EVER and im glad not be working There.
Decent place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 13, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: short breaks, black out days, under compensated
Nice place to work with decent management, Unless you are a manager, the sales associate job is mainly for high school aged young adults, as the pay is low and hours are not consistent. If in a manager position, don't apply if your are still attending college as it will greatly hinder your time for homework and going back home to visit family.
Great staff, stressful job
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Roanoke Rapids, NCNovember 7, 2014
awesome staff that I worked with. However, the work and the hours were stressful.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Brunswick, GANovember 6, 2014
Pros: 50% off discount every 5 weeks
Cons: short breaks, selling fragrances, unrealistic updates, upper management sucks!!!
I worked for this company for 2 years and this company works you like a slave. The visual changes, the table changes, the rearranging of departments!! This company is the true definition of OVER KILL!!! Also, upper management does not care about "workers" they just email all your task and you have to figure it out..
fun times
Associate (Current Employee), wheatland, TXOctober 28, 2014
Pros: discount, team effort, flexible
Cons: selling perfume, people who steal
Rue21 is a very easy job not really demanding easy to move up in the company. the only downside is people who try to steal, and always having to make fragrance sells because apparently clothes sell them self . other then that its a very enjoyable place to work.

1 2 3 4 5

About rue21

rue comes from the French word for street while 21 embodies the age that everyone wants to be! Inspired by the spirit and style – Read more

rue21 Photos