rue21 Employee Reviews

fun and energetic work place
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 20, 2015
A typical day at work consisted if making sure associates had proper training and could spot shoplifters and help customers at the same time.
The hardest part of the job was getting unhappy customers happy again. sometimes that meant calling three different stores to locate a item they are wanting.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
large crowds to where you cant move through the store
Lack of Communication
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 20, 2015
I worked for this company inly for a short time for a summer. The lack of communication and lack of organizational skills made life/work balance non-existent.
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSDecember 14, 2015
Fun work place and environment. I learned to deal with the most difficult customers. Management is decent, and my co workers are friendly. The hardest part is dealing with those who don't cooperate, but its enjoyable when you can help someone find exactly what they need.
Fun but can be stressful
Sales Associate/Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Sanford, NC, Greenville, NC, Charlotte, NCDecember 13, 2015
Working with different types of people is always fun and a learning experience. My co-workers were amazing and a lively bunch! The difficult part of working were encountering the customers that weren't always the happiest. The enjoyable part was the rush of the holiday traffic.
No work life balance
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  NCDecember 9, 2015
This company has very high expectations with no way to win scenarios. You spend the majority of your day doing the same paperwork verbatim, putting out merchandise and cleaning up the floor. You don't even notice the customers that you have because your tasks are so large. They rarely give you enough sleep between shifts. They only hire young associates who quit every 2 to 3 weeks and they overwork the managers to the point where they quit every 6 to 12 months. You will not get to do activities with your family or spend holidays with your family. The amount of gossiping between management is outrageous. Rue will work you to the bone, you don't ever get to sit down except for 20 minutes of your 30 minute break because you spend the first 10 minutes looking for food while the managers and the district managers take a full hour on the busy days and hide out back. The managers only work during the day and never schedule themselves for closing shifts or weekends. Take my advice and don't do it to yourself.
Evolving company with many opportunities
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYDecember 7, 2015
A typical day at work for rue21 was always fast paced and customer friendly. I began the day setting goals, assigning zones, and delegating tasks. I learned how to shift our losses, which were rare, into the rest of the week so that we would always come out ahead. My management team was a close knit group who came together quickly to decrease our known loss and increase our sales volume within a short time frame. Most of our co-workers were familiar in our daily shifts. Every one was team oriented and was adjustable to fit the needs of the company. The hardest part of my job was dealing with ever changing supervisors. I had three DM's within four years and three different RM's whose directives were always different. Some of them followed the policy and expected you to, others did not follow the policy and expected you to do likewise as long as it fit the needs of the store. It seemed like the company as a whole has a wonderful agenda and is team oriented, but as their directives trickle down to the DM's, everything changes. Only the goals seem to matter instead of the way they attain them. Honesty was quickly traded for quick outcomes. The most enjoyable part of my job was the ever changing environment. I love hard work and multi-tasking. I love the constant new appearances we had to instigate and the way it affected our customers. I love striving for positive outcomes.
Pros
Customers, travelling, open communication
Cons
Scheduling was not family friendly
Environmental Friendly
Manager (Current Employee) –  Maplewood, MNDecember 4, 2015
Fun friendly environment. Everyone gets along and work well with each other. The most enjoyable part of my job is finding or creating an outfit for a customer.
great company I was just a temporary associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, VADecember 1, 2015
the best job that I have ever worked at I just wish it wasn't temporary. If I could I would work back there in a heart beat and the benefits were very good too.
No place for advancement
Assistant Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 1, 2015
It's easy to get hired here and it is nothing like it says during the interview process. If you don't sell fragrance then you don't get hours and they pressure you into buying clothing for appreciate association even though they do not respect you. The DM's are very unprofessional
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything, hours, managment
Great environment to work
Sales/Stock associate (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CADecember 1, 2015
I loved my position and company. I would recommend this store to anyone. I moved to a different state and was very sad when it was time to leave my position.
A cool and young environment to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALNovember 29, 2015
rue21 has a great variety of clothing to choose from. They promote within and your chances of getting promoted are high. The environment is fun and the company offers great promos for customers to enjoy.
Good workplace for drones, bad for thinkers
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Weirton, WVNovember 27, 2015
For someone who is not conscious, this is an excellent workplace. Everything is structured and employees are instructed exactly what and how to do things. Computerized systems prevent error in many places. The job does not require advanced thought processes.

For someone who thinks, this is a terrible workplace. Nothing makes sense logically. The experience of the workers on the floor who do the work every day means nothing to management. Management believes that they know more about the jobs of the workers than the workers themselves know. It's common for workers to be terminated for being more intelligent than the bosses (which isn't hard).

Their safety record is abysmal. It's rare to go an entire work week without an accident in which an employee needs to leave the workplace to seek medical care. It's not a dangerous workplace. The hazards are limited. The accident rate is mostly the cause of overzealous supervisors who push an unsustainable pace. Workers constantly feel pressure to meet high quotas that cannot be met without unsafe work practices.
Pros
Decent pay, healthcare, 401(k)
Cons
Boring work, bad supervisors, unsafe
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MINovember 25, 2015
Well since I don't work there or anywhere at the moment. I will say that rue21 is a very fun work place with supportive management. It's not always about the money to them. Well from what i have notice from me being in their store so much.. They care more about their customers than anything else, They make sure that their customers are finding everything okay and they also make sure that if they see a customer struggling to try and find something, They make sure to help that person out right away. And when their customer is done finding everything wanted okay . They will help you save some of your money and stuff. And with all that being said rue21 to me shows that they really care about there customers and there job way more than you think. So if i do get this job i will make sure that i have fun but still do what i have to do to make the store and others feel special when they walk in.
Very exciting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILNovember 24, 2015
Fun Friendly environment, I liked the company because it kept up with the trends, Always positive atmosphere, customers were very friendly
I loved working for Rue 21
Greeter (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NENovember 22, 2015
I loved working for Rue 21 I was a greeter there I enjoyed the people my co workers my original manager only hired me for the holiday season she liked my work so much that she hired me part time then we got a new manager and she forced me to quit she said she didn't have enough hours for me to be a part time greeter so I had to quit
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
The new manager
Young and hip environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moultrie, GANovember 20, 2015
rue21 is a fast pace company. It has a university system to learn as you grow. It is also linked in with other universities such as Keller. Motivation is the way to the top with rue21.
Only for young people
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Halifax, VANovember 19, 2015
Very unprofessional and unfair pay. Mostly for young people who have parents doing everything for them but wants a lil pocket change.
Pros
Not a very strict dress code, friendly environment
Cons
Alot of drama occurs, unproffesional, unfair pay
Productive and fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXNovember 16, 2015
Long hours, no overtime, kept store clean, hired and terminated employees, set up weekly promotions. Meet sales goals.
typical day at work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GANovember 11, 2015
basically there is always merchandise to be put out at work, the most efficient people are usually putting the merchandise on the floor and the less efficient people are cashiers. Everyone should sell fragrance, throughout the day fragrance is sprayed throughout the store.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
no break room
rue 21
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocean City, MDNovember 11, 2015
This Co. was a great co. to work for. They cared about the staff and customers. But most importantly they made you known for you accomplishments.
Pros
raises
Cons
inventory