rue21

rue21 Employer Reviews

great and wonderful experience
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 18, 2014
love the environment and people I worked with. its like family when working with rue21.
Great learning experience with blank canvas to build from
Procurement Manager (Former Employee), Warrendale PaJanuary 14, 2014
Co workers were great, boss was supportive and the environment was highly entreprenurial.
good place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), layton,utahJanuary 3, 2014
i like working here specially when your pretty active all day long is a really sy enviroment.
Fun but stressful
Store manager (Former Employee), Normal, ILJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: everything else
There's no company like this one. Great place to work for until they weren't making projected sales then it was a lot of stress. No HR help. No help from upper management. Strict/tight payroll. A lot of tasking no time to complete. Cheap salary/compensation.
Geat Retail Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Decatur, ALDecember 18, 2013
Pros: discounts, atmosphere
Cons: pay
I loved working at rue21. I was the cashier. I worked quickly and was able to frequently make fragrance sales at the register.
Wonderful company for which to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Waterford, CTDecember 6, 2013
As in any retail job there were pros and cons. I love this company for many reasons including its fun-loving messages and benefits - especially Associate Appreciation when we receive an additional discount. The recent development in the People FIRST "bingo" is a great new way to award employees in ways that before we could not. Sometimes people become – more... complacent - as in any atmosphere - and I think this really helps. My store has some really great employees, which make the job really enjoyable, but some of the tasks are a bit too repetitive, especially when we move items from one table to another just to switch them back again a week later. I understand the need to update and draw attention to newer merchandise but sometimes the amount of movement made no sense. – less
Rue21
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Morganton, NCDecember 4, 2013
My job at Rue21 requires lots of paperwork and numbers. We have to keep track of sales to make sure we are on plan. I am an Assistant Manager so on any given stiff I manage 4 people at a time. I like all my co-workers. I like working with the public and seeing new faces everyday.
Upper Management and Shop Lifting Policies are Laughable
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Gastonia, NCNovember 26, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: every single thing
I worked here for a year and a half as a part time assistant manager. I left my previous job to take this one. When I was interviewed by the Store Manager and the District Manager, I was told I would be full time. When I did my paper work, it said part time. When asked about it the District Manager said that you had to start as part time, and be promoted. – more... Once I was in I found out we were a target store, and could not be promoted. I had 3 different District Managers, 2 Store managers, and 4 full time assistants.

Management at the district level and above are only concerned with themselves. They will lie to advance their careers in the easiest manner possible. For example, back in June 2013, one of our associates got a hold of the manager's cashier numbers. She used two of them to steal over $1500 from our store. When they were investigating this, the RLPM called me a liar and told me I was stealing. I did his job, and got our schedules and determined that this girl was here every time. When we asked her about it, she confessed. Another example, was their reason for terminating me. The decided that because I had been there the longest, and the shrink did not go down, I should be fired. The shrink problem has to do with their shop lifting policies, which I'll get to in a second. All of my DMs "unofficially" asked me to work off the clock, as well. I also work full time hours, with no promotion or benefits offered.

And the shop lifting policies are horrible. Rue 21 does NOT prosecute shop lifters, and only calls the Police if the customer gets violent. You are not allowed to call them on their stealing either. The thieves at my old store knew this, and used it to continually steal from our store, despite our best attempts to stop them. This creates a shrink problem. The District Manager will use someone as a scapegoat (fire them), in order to make it look like they did something.

For associates, the hours are horrible. Usually less then 10 a week. Also, you have to push fragrance like crazy.

I do NOT recommend that anyone work at this pitiful excuse for a retail store. – less
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), LaGrange, GANovember 22, 2013
Fun workplace, the employee discount was great, but the hours weren't that great.
Awesome place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Glenwood Springs, CONovember 3, 2013
Great place to work with awesome chances for advancement. Excellent benefits with 50% off regular priced items every two to three months.
Fun evironment, showed skills very well
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 28, 2013
I've learned to be alert and put my skills to work at the right times in order to make sales
Loved this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, INOctober 23, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: disorganized
I loved everything about this job but the hours they gave me. Only other thing was I thought they were very disorganized. On the other hand I loved the work I loved the clothes and handling them all the discounts and especially the customers !
Fun place to meet diverse people with diverse styles
Co-Manager (Current Employee), Harker Heights, TXOctober 16, 2013
rue21 is a fun environment with an up beat feel. Great customer service & knowledge is key.
good place to shop, not too work.
sales associate (Former Employee), Ocala, FloridaOctober 13, 2013
Pros: none.
Cons: unexperienced management, rude management, had no idea what was going on.
I was a former employee of Rue and I can tell you it was one od the worst experiences I've ever had. The hiring process was a mess. Store manager promised the world that they were the best store, best people youll get plenty of hours....yea right. I came from being a former ASM and was promised the world comimg into Rue that I would be soon promoted. – more... 6 months and nothing. Management openly talks about how they all hate their job 24/7 on sales floor. One even carries a pocket knife which isnt allowed. Management yells at associates thinking theyre on some kind of pedestal. If we dont sell fragrance we dont get hours? Really? No wonder the store was a target store. Management doeant pay aytention to customers, just very rude staff all the way around. Id rather work at Mcdonalds or Burger King before I worked there again. Moving on to bigger and better things, thats for sure. – less
No Healthcare
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Lake Worth, TXOctober 10, 2013
No healthcare. Mediocre Compensation. Difficult hours. Freindly people but when I worked there the company had not grown enough to create an established environment.
fun to work for
Asst. Manger (Former Employee), Guymon, OKOctober 8, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: 30min meals
rue was a fun fast passed loved working for them. the store manger was great to work for.
A day of Rue21
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Allen, TXOctober 7, 2013
-Some-days can be pretty quite but always busy at the same time
- Weekends go by quickly and i know how to fold very very quickly
-The store management is very amazing yes somethings I don't agree with but i still think its pretty amazing
-The hardest part has to be trying to sale a fragrances to our customers not always easy i don't see how some of – more... my other employs do it so well
-I enjoy being able to comfortable at the store at that the mangers are very nice along with all the employs and everyone is still professional while also being friendly – less
productive but still good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXOctober 3, 2013
Pros: good work experience
typical day start counting/unfolding inventory, clean up, asst customers with sizes, change room
New Store, Horrible Management & Dishonest
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lake Geneva, WISeptember 30, 2013
Cons: no breaks
Started with a brand new store in Lake Geneva, WI. Store Management team had no idea how to run a business, verbally abused associates and reprimanded associates in front of customers and other employees. SELL... SELL..SELL.... the perfume or your job is on the line... really ?
Management had their boyfriends visiting in the store all the time, always – more... in the back room texting and making personal phone calls. Manager has no idea how to manage a team of people or prioritize what needed to be worked on. They were counting out end of day cash drawers when store was closed and had friends and relatives hanging out while this was being done, I have worked for another fashion store in the past for several years and I know that isn't allowed. On a few occasions the Manager on duty clocked out my time card without my permission and also sent people home while they closed the store by themselves. Oh.. the list continues this store is destined for a 'GOING OUT OF BUSINESS' sign

All's I can say is, Managers who have been given the opportunity to manage a business should lead by example and respect the individuals who are supposed to be apart of the TEAM !!

The District Manager has no idea this is going on in this brand new store and when upper management visits the Managers are all fake and nice. – less

Karin – October 9, 2013

Could be a nice store but... the store managers have no idea what they are doing, I have heard them disrespect the employees and they have no customer service skills when I checked out my purchases the store manager was very rude to me and degraded the sales person in front of the customers.

its a very secure customer and manager based company
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Apple Valley, CASeptember 17, 2013
Pros: nice lunch breaks
Cons: short 10 minute breaks
its nice working here the people are kind, i like the fashion and the way we uphold the store

About rue21

rue21 is one of the fastest growing specialty retailers in the country. We offer a broad assortment of the newest fashion trends – Read more