rue21 Employee Reviews

Sales Associate (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 11, 2015
learned different task dealt with a range of different customers. The co workers are very friendly and welcoming. I really enjoy making my customers day by helping them look stylish
Responsibility overload at Rue21
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Grand Junction, COMay 3, 2015
Pros: Customer servicing, happy co-workers, able to take breaks when needed
Cons: Not enough hours, somewhat loud music
Rue 21 is a fast pace working environment, helping customers is the most enjoyable part because the happiness you get after helping a customer brings personal enjoyment, the worst is not having enough time to do all the other important things needed to get done in a day. working with the co-workers that i do makes me feel part of a family. Being apart of the management team is great, we take the time to listen to every employee and get them prepped and encouraged to their best everyday. Ive learned that communication is vital to for any work environment.
Dont Do It
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), MansfieldMay 2, 2015
Pros: Love most of my associates
Cons: DM and Management
Rue21-have really cute clothes. Working for the company.....will have you stressed and in tears. Although they paid me pretty well. I was the Assistant Manager... I did not last long. I have worked in retail over 12years and in management....I have stable work history. I usually work at a job for 4 years or longer. Never been fired nor....walked from a job without giving a two weeks notice. Rue21 was the first job I walked away from without notice after 4mos from being there. That store got a new manager when I arrived. She was crazy.Blamed me for EVERYTHING even on my days off I was blamed for something I was not there for.I tried to address this to the DM. She said if I cant hang.... I should not be working for Rue. Wow!I would ask for help.....I did not get it. Even the sales associates tried to have my back but got written up because they interfered. The pressure of selling fragrance.....was insane. I recently found out the manager who gave me trouble also gave others trouble.....ended up getting fired. What goes around....comes around. Leaving that place....I have no regrets. Glad I left. Don't Do It if you thinking about working there.
Shady Company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great team
Cons: Shady Store Manager and DM
I do not regret leaving my last job but i do regret being suckered into this company 'RUE21" . Terrible COMPANY ! More concerned about the latest gossip then the customers or the regular shoplifters. All i learned from this company is just about all members of the NC district is either sleeping with one another, rooming with one another & finding a way to bash one another. Most enjoyable part of my job was building such a great team . Only to be taken away by the store manager . Everything i have learned from this company and in general from Retail Management i have passed that knowledge onto my team members & friends to help them further there career or passion for fashion like myself and to never look back to this company for anything !
Stressful
Store manager (Former Employee), ILApril 30, 2015
Pros: Dedicated associates
Cons: Pay, DM, benefits, life and work balance doesn't exist
The company expects so much from people that it gets out of control. There's no support from upper management, opposite- you're expected to do it all for such a low pay. Visuals every month. One week you have girls visual, next week guys, an third etc. on top of crazy markdowns, shipment, table changes, racks changing, no space but fit it all. there's always stuff to do and not a lot of time in a day so you end up working overtime. They make you own an Instagram to post things from your store, yet they don't pay you for that. For such a low pay they expect you to do things as you would get paid over 70k. The DM was just plain horrible. Very unprofessional, will lower you with her words, will micromanage you and threaten with write ups on conference calls. With managers quitting left and right cause of DM being so rude it's a no brainer... And God forbid you don't kiss her lower back, you're out. She will destroy every single bit of you. Will make you cry and pretend like it's normal. Shipment is nuts but manageable. Overall higher staff than DM was great. Days are busy, pays are too low. Rue is one of the lowest retail pay companies so what do you expect. If you're working as a sales associate go for it, but not management. Honestly, just not worth it.
very relaxed
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Katy, TXApril 17, 2015
folding clothes all day and rearranging store all day. pretty relaxed days not very fast paced management was very friendly but was very slow during the week also very short hours
Fast paced middle level retail store
Store Manager (Current Employee), Weatherford, OKApril 15, 2015
Manage Rue21 store and staff. Responsible for every aspect of what happened in the day to day business. Schedules, visual floor sets, customer care.
Productive, Organization, and friendly
Team member (Former Employee), Utah UTApril 14, 2015
Cons: Never had a steady manager
Very Organized and friendly environment productive all the time and organized stock good team working skills easy going. all though they didn't have enough hours.
High Volume Outlet Store Manager (Former Employee), rue21April 9, 2015
Cons: everything
Had bad experiences was overworked and under paid! They don't care about the people only the numbers! no payroll, too much tasking and shipment which never leaves time for customers service or training of staff.
Cool, fun environment. Company really cares about employees
SALES ASSOCIATE/MANAGER IN TRAINING (Former Employee), Montclair, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Young and fun environment! Growth opportunities are available, company truly cares about their employees.
Cons: Managers not maintaining professionalism nor enforcing it with the staff.
Working at Rue21 was fun. Everyone got along and worked well together. There was a management issue but that manager was terminated. Everyone was willing to work and help the store. Managers did not micro manage staff and was supportive. Growth opportunities are available to employees here. The only downside to working at Rue21 was that over time due to a change is store management the morale started to go down which caused employees and assistant managers to find employment else where.
heavy work load
Store Manager (Current Employee), Hudson, NYApril 7, 2015
Pros: company invests in people
Cons: lack of technology
Very Task heavy environment, never a dull moment.
The company loves to have contests to help motivate associates to drive sales
Management is a little off but is a work in progress the corporate office is amazing
Rue is a great place to work if you are quick minded and able to plan accordingly, they are growing and advancing.
Good Company, Bad Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 6, 2015
I worked for this company for a year. I grew a lot of knowledge on retail and tried my hardest to move up in the company. Management turned corrupt by not being honest and fair to they're employees. In the beginning I was so comfortable working there but after half a year I became uncomfortable with management where I worked. Like I said the company is great but the management at the store I worked at wasn't so great.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), N/AApril 6, 2015
Pros: discount, awesome/cheap clothes
Cons: management, salary
rue21 is a fantastic company to work for while in High School, but anything further, you are just wasting your time. There are so many other, better companies to work for. I was internally promoted to an Assistant Manager and they gave me 2 days of training, which was definitely not enough and expected me to run a million dollar store with very little knowledge. The DM's are terrible and constantly changing. Too much overturn in this company. They don't treat the people who stay there with much respect or dignity. Get yearly raises. 40% off discount, not off clearance though. Could wear whatever you wanted as long as it was appropriate. Great high school job, but don't do this job as a career.
Fashionable styles that are among America's favorite.
Assisitant Manager (Former Employee), Somerset, KYApril 6, 2015
Pros: Fashionable clothes, discounts and sales, my co workers
Cons: short breaks, poor management, to many policies in effect.
I enjoyed most of my time at Rue21, I enjoyed getting to know my co workers I also enjoyed the responsibilities I had to an extent.
Fun atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Gadsden, ALMarch 25, 2015
I enjoyed working here. I didn't agree with everything management done, but that's normal. It was a fun place to work, overall.
Worst job I've ever had
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), BeavercreekMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Job security, as no one else wants to work here.
Cons: Everything else.
I worked there as an assistant manager and when the opportunity to be promoted to store manager came I politely turned it down as I knew I would need to work 6 days a week at least (although only 5 work days is technically required) to realistically get everything done.
Basically way too much to do and never enough time. Store will always look like a giant sloppy garage sale. That's because the warehouse gives you way too much stuff and it's IMPOSSIBLE to fit it all into the space that you have. They have a good bonus program but you have to achieve sales goals ANDY control shrink, which is impossible as You will ALWAYS be tasking and you are NOT ALLOWED to call mall security or approach anyone when you see them steal. They are so afraid of lawsuits they will just allow customers to get away with it, so you can just waive that nice bonus "bye/bye"..
Never enough payroll hours, pay, etc. You will always be stressed and never happy. Customers are rude, and you have to give them what they want even if if it's clear as day that they are wrong. The last manager there was very unprofessional as well as the current DM. (I actually hope they read this)
Also company scammed me on my vacation pay-out even though i gave a Notice.
"Screw Rue" is all I have to say.
a so so company to work for. Be careful and trust no one!!!
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIMarch 24, 2015
Pros: having the right team in place
Cons: stock, workload, long hours, HORRIBLE upper management
I loved my team but the hours, the work load, and the DM were HORRIBLE!!! The company losses good people because of bad judgment. I'm not going to let this Rue21 experience make me bitter but I'm going to us it to make me better. I will say this, this company will either make you or break you. Will not support your success.
suck ups.
Assistant manager (Former Employee), hickory NC.March 15, 2015
Cons: favoritism
This company likes to run on favorites and suck up to others just to get what they want. Company is greedy when they have all stores 30 min apart and they still want you to try and make sales on a daily basis. They base your performance on cheap fragrance. District manager is a joke also. CO workers were OK depending on the store.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hanover, MDMarch 11, 2015
Productive and fun workplace i love helping customers find clothes to wear.I like to see others happy with the best choice they made in finding something to wear
.....
Sales associate (Current Employee), Primm, NVMarch 10, 2015
i loved working there its just one of my managers was very inappropriate with some of the comments he would make to the female employees

About rue21

rue comes from the French word for street while 21 embodies the age that everyone wants to be! Inspired by the spirit and style – Read more

rue21 Salaries