rue21 Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work where I learned a lot about the retail industry.
Full time assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 3, 2016
I had worked with the company for 8 years in various positions therefor I had learned a lot about the company and retail when I left in May of 2016. In management daily tasks changed depending on whether you opened or closed. But tasks that didn't change were managing sales associates, keeping track of sales and sales goals, signage and visual updates, organizing sales floor. During my time with Rue21 I worked with a variety of people with diverse backgrounds, which allowed me to learn how to resolve issues and communicate effectively with all my co-workers. One of the hardest parts of the job was dealing with difficult situations where there were no positive outcomes. The best part was of the job was getting to work with great people and meeting new people on a daily basis.
Productive and fun workplace bur you have to learn to balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 6, 2016
-Your typical day at work would consist of tasks, customer service, etc. If you didn't go home tired then you didn't do your job.
-Coworkers are fun to be around/enjoyable workplace
-The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in according to standard (in a timely manner).
-I feel that the company needs to do more promoting within the company so that they will have that knowledge of what the actual store employees go through daily for example, too much of the same item in shipment, what type of clothing each store sales the most, markdowns, the small amount of hours being given to stores weekly etc.
-The most enjoyable part of the day was dealing with customers. The most fun and upbeat customers come in to buy the latest trends and sale items. They really make your day better!!!
Pros
Bonus, Benefits
Cons
Job work/life balance can be difficult sometimes
poor management and bad customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAMarch 13, 2016
My typical day at work would be extremely busy it if was the afternoon shift and extremely boring if it was the morning shift. Management was pretty good when I started working there in late 2014. There's new management and their service could be negligent and they show favoritism. They're unfair when it comes to making schedules, since they give hours to employees that are their favorites. Some co-workers are friendly whereas other co-workers are not so friendly. Working there was pretty simple, and could be fun, depending on who you're working with.
Pros
free snacks sometimes
Cons
short breaks
Fast paced retail environment
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Colonie, NYJune 9, 2016
A typical day at work would be me preparing the sales plan for the day, resolving customer complaints, making sure daily tasks are completed, and the store is cleaned nightly ready for the next day. In my management position I learned to be a leader, to take control, and help my employees be the best sales associates they can be. The hardest part of my job is trying to please every customer and resolve their problems while also following the company's policies and procedure. The easiest part of my job is processing shipment, and bringing it out to the floor, and also ensuring visuals are up to date and the company's standards.
Pros
Great co-workers, occassional 50% off discounts for employees
Cons
No set schedule, no benefits
Fun cowerkers, that's it
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Corydon, INJuly 20, 2016
Being in management is being overworked for no compensation. Your associates are high schoolers, so you are constantly hiring new folks. Turnover for management is very very very high, mostly because of pay and workload. You always have more tasks than time allows. This should be a sales posting because ALLLLLLLLL they care about is how much fragrance you sell. Don't do it. You can have fun.. once in awhile. Working 16 hours a week for less than $10/hr is not a living. And way too many times you work 8 hours and can't sit down to eat or rest because there is no other manager and it gets busy, plus you can't leave even though you clock out for "lunch. "
Pros
Discount
Cons
NO breaks, selling fragrance, no hours, low pay, everything!
Productive and very polite
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spotsylvania, VAJune 27, 2016
The place had a lot of energy once you got there, you feel at home at first and the co-workers are the best people you could meet, I've been there for almost a year and I would never forget this experience ever. The work place was always clean and the atmosphere was always friendly. I learned so much while I was there how to fold clothing, multitask from using the register to taking phone calls and helping out customers. The hard part of the job is just making sure everything looks perfect by the end of the night but besides that the job is fun and wonderful for a first job.
Pros
Good Discounts, always get either 30 minute lunch or 15
Cons
no health care, always crowded on weekends, minimum hours
fun environment
sales (Former Employee) –  Cadillac, MIJune 4, 2015
A typical day at Rue 21 is you clock in and get your Rue view, which is our sales plan adn daily goal. Being a cashier we have a manager count the drawer we are going to be running on for my shift. We assist customers and help them pick out new styles. In my down time i put out new back stock and clean the store so its a good environment to shop in. My management is always fun and coming up with new ways tokeep things fresh and different. my co-wokers are always keeping me on my toes with our personal compitions to sell the most of something it keeps the store fun with friendly compition.
thehardest part of the job is trying to mash my style with a customers. the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people everyday and seeing thme come back and getting to help them over and over.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no benifits
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Logan, WVJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at Rue 21 is unexpected. Business can be busy or slow, depending on the weather, time of day, or event. I've learned to promote sales, and operate a cash register. Management is okay. My co-workers are great. The hardest part of the job is keeping the store in good condition. Folding tables and taking back clothes from dressing rooms are a little aggravating, but that is my job. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am always aware of new merchandise and know when popular items go on markdown.
Pros
50% off entire store on employee appreciation
Cons
few hours, poor salary
Do your research before applying
Store manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 8, 2016
Rue 21 has it's up and down there are a lot of cons that people dont know about. There always looking for new managerment because they dont know how to take are of there employee, they don't enforce the store policy, an they always have a high turn over rate, they want you to do so much work with so little pay. You dont get to spend time wih your love ones because your always at work, they even have you working on Easter, They open up at 1pm on Thanksgiving Day while the corp office is off spending time with there loves ones. Its prety much who you know. Its a good job for first timer to start off an is willing to work for min wage 7.25. But if your loking to become manager to each is own.......
Lots of work but soak it up like a sponge
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  USAMay 12, 2016
It's true- all of the reviews on the task load being crazy, but that's life. It you want to turn a profit, you have to do things others think is crazy to do. 2000 piece markdown, visual, inventory, and a corporate visit this week? If you can't handle it, it's not for you. We're our own breed. This company has taught me the most of myself, my weaknesses, my ability to multitask....it's a great place to work, grow, and thrive. You have to but into the culture and really believe what you're doing (or else, why waste your time doing it) It's not meant for everyone, but that's probably why everyone else is failing and we're turning a profit.
Pros
freedom, fashion, corporate support, ability to advance
Cons
low pay for the workload
rue21 Work Summary
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHMay 11, 2016
I started out at rue21 at 16 years old and I was absolutely in love with my job. People were great, pay was great at the time, and I enjoyed going to work, but that was only for the first year. After the first year, I got promoted to a PT Assistant Manager and I also loved that at first, but later come to realize it isn't a great company to work for at all. The management was terrible. The pay was extremely low (at 8.10/hr) for all the work you have to do. You weren't treated right and you never had free time to yourself. It was an extreme unbalance of work and personal life. Lastly, the CEO's wife makes the fragrances you are required to sell, but you aren't rewarded for selling them. It is just required or you get in trouble and you hours can possibly be cut. On average a sales associate lasts about two years and they move on.
Pros
Good for someone who is young. Can be good depending on who your coworkers are.
Cons
Low pay. Bad management. Unbalance of life and work.
Not a company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  cleveland/ cincinnati, OHJune 28, 2015
The store culture is what you make it. If the environment to drama free and fun it makes the work tolerable at the very last. Rue21 as a company is probably one of the most right winged companies to work for (even more so than Gorgio Armani) and they do not take care of their employees. This is why there is a high turnover rate. Also, when company issues arise, management is very slow to fix them (i.e. training, transfers, reviews & raises, reporting theft, executing consequences, etc.).
Lazy management, horrible environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 11, 2015
When I first started at rue21 in July of 2014, I absolutely loved coming into work... I loved my team, I loved the work I was doing, it was just a great place to be. After leaving for six months for school and returning again June of 2015, everything had gone downhill. They basically begged for me to come back, even though I wanted to pursue other things. They promised a raise and a promotion to Assistant Manager... I received 25 cents more than minimum wage, and never received a promotion. However, two people who had barely been working at my location, received the promotion I was told I had. The team I ended up working with were barely of age, and kissed up to the boss any chance they got. Every day, they "rue-d" us in, and associates were told to sell, sell, sell fragrance and to get those emails. We were bribed by management to sell fragrances and make our numbers, just so she could earn her rue-pin. Every day at work, I heard my team gossip about other members at the counter, while I worked my butt off to make the store look presentable, and wasn't given one bit of recognition. My advice to you; work at rue21 if you're a teenager, trying to earn a little bit of cash. You will more than likely be overlooked for a management position once you turn 18. Definitely not worth having a career here.
Pros
discount
working there
manager (Former Employee) –  canton, GaOctober 14, 2015
they would put so much on you and expect you to get it all done that day and do so much more. Open all holidays when we wouldn't even be making money, and other stores would be closed. They did not truly care about their employees, jus cared about making money.
Cons
not payed enough, benifits
Good as a start up job but not as a career.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 22, 2016
All they care about is fragrance more fragrance and more fragrance. They will treat you badly if you do not know how to sell fragrance. Store manager and district manager are in a secret relationship so a lot of unethical activities were taking place. No structure, no professionalism, no maturity. They do not care if you are in school either, both college and high school associates were giving hours during their class time and when confronted about it, the store manager told them to find someone instead of fix her mistakes. so many complaints about the store manager and when taken to the District manager all he said was she still new at this she will get it give her a chance. He always made excuses for her no mater what. Although I was part of management I could not do it anymore due to the unethical treatment of people in that store. Take caution before working there and if you do be careful who you make your friends.
Pros
good friends made with some good people
Cons
everything!
Worst retail company !
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2016
Let's get straight to the point. Pay is super LOW. As an assistant manager I made about the same as some of the kids from the food court! District manager was a hoax. Lied about everything. Begged me to take the position.... And I totally don't regret it only because I love working with the youth. You'll get tons of teenagers ranging 16-23 as associates. Which also results in all the work being done by the managers! Explains why we need 4 managers per store. My store maNager was younger than me super loud and obnoxious. She was super miserable and she toke it out on the teenagers and it caused me to think of her poorly. She was pathetic and hard headed but she was also best friends with the district manger so what can I say :) ... Biggest thing here is low pay,no work life balance , high turn over! , and most of all NOOOO EXISTING HR DEPARTMENT. I was harassed as a manager by an employee and nothing was done! No calls returned no emails nothing. Do not work here trust me.
Pros
Ok the discount is great at 50% once a month. 25% normally. Working with the youth
Cons
Fragrance goals, no hr, low pay
Okay job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Altus, OKJune 9, 2016
Working at rue21 was okay. A typical day would be fairly slow with the typical customers looking for something for a special occasion. I learned how to stock items accordingly and how to speak and understand the customer. The management was decent. She had her favorites which was unnecessary. She didn't see the positives, just the negatives. Co-workers liked to gossip about things not related to work. Hardest part of the job was the occasional upset customer. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customer leave with a smile on their face.
Pros
Positive vibes, nice people, easy to learn
Cons
Short breaks, management
Laid back and slow paced work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLMay 15, 2016
A typical day at work involved doing the cleaning check list in the morning, stocking the floor and organizing the floor, and running the register giving great guest service. The management is very laid back and my coworkers were not very hard working. The hardest part of the job was closing time when you had to clean and stock the store and make sure all the clothes are folded and organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was putting outfits together for my customers and them actually buying clothes and accessories that I had suggested to them.
Pros
50% off discount every few months
Cons
Only half hour breaks
Not the job for me
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 28, 2016
Working at Rue 21 was definitely an experience. If you're looking for a job with reliable hours, this is not the place for you. In my experience, they try to work you just enough to wear you don't get a break. I learned what was like to deal with the public and stressful situations. I did have awesome co-workers and great assistant managers. I will say, if you get headaches from perfumes and colognes, you might want to reconsider. They push selling fragrances extremely hard and most likely will cut your hours if you don't sell enough. It's almost like being on commission for hours. Whoever sells the most fragrances gets more hours. It creates competition between coworkers and stress. The hardest part of the job was trying to communicate with people who don't speak English. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is when I got to work the register instead of being zoned to a certain spot in the store. I think it really depends on your personality if you would like working at Rue.
Pros
25% off everything except clearance in the store.
Cons
Short hours and slightly stressful
Interesting place to work, Always had new merchandise and fashion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 26, 2016
A typical day at this job would be greeting the customer handing out coupons or reminding them of the new sales going on to provide a better pay for the business. I learned that showing items to a customers and stating the facts or maybe exaggerating just a bit can help you make many sales. Again I don't mean making out complete lies but maybe emphasizing the great details a specific product has. The job is as hard as you make it out to me of course that is my opinion. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing new products,clothes,jewelry, ect.
Pros
discounts on only certain dates
Cons
being given little hours

2.9