rue21

rue21 Employer Reviews

The Most Horrible Company to Work for
Store Manager (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaOctober 18, 2014
I worked for this company from the bottom up and I must say that it is the most horribly ran company that I have ever worked for. They do not give you any tools for success, the district manager was fake-drama filled and only cares about the stores that didn't need assistance. You would get anywhere from 1-50 boxes of shipment daily, no stock associate means you would have to do all of your stock plus 65 table changed, 2000 piece markdown and still customer service, do visuals, keep your fragrance up (they expect you to sell fragrance like its crack) heaven for bid if you don't make your fragrance sells and cut hours when you don't make sales 1 hour per $300 down... THERE WAS JUSR NO WAY TO DO ALL OF THESE THINGS WITH THE RESOURCES WE WERE ALLOWED TO HAVE. At a manager level it wasn't even that you were a manger because you were micro managed and told what you could and could not do. Please do yourself a favor and do not work for this company. Oh and I forgot to mention that every month there is an associate appreciation weekend and you are expected to make a goal of $1000 or more and if u don't you get scolded by your district manager and they will make you hire people that are going to spend money, not people that are qualified for the position. They also suspect that if you are not shopping, you are stealing. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!!!! STEAR CLEAR!!!!

Nothing they sale is worth buying it's all cheaply made.

Fragrance does not last.

Do not care about their customers just as much as they do not care about their employees.
slow pace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), texasOctober 16, 2014
my over all experience was good. It was a seasonal job, so i didn't do as much as all the regular employees.
Hated it
Sales associate (Former Employee), Glenwood Springs, COOctober 15, 2014
Lets just say the pay is horrible and te girls create so much drama i just hated it
Very friendly and fun store.
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee), Midvale, UTOctober 14, 2014
Opening the doors and get the registers ready for the day make sure there is the right amount of dollars and coins for the employee to start his/her day. Wait for the employees to arrive and walk around the store pick up anything that has fallen and put it in its place, we have a little meeting just before it is time for the doors to open and talk to them about the goals set for the day before and how we did, then let them know what our goals are for the present day. Make sure the co-workers are set and ready to greet the customers as soon as they come in and ask if there is anything that they can help them find or if there is something particular they are looking for. During the day we keep busy keeping the store in a great condition for the customers experience in our store. The hardest part of the store is trying to maintain it looking decent mainly the days that we are very busy, we try our best. The most enjoyable part of working here is that we become great friends with the customers and love having them come back to the store it is a great place to work for.
Exciting work environment where you can express yourself.
Assistant Manager I Rue21 (Former Employee), Elizabethton, TNOctober 13, 2014
Pros: holiday pay and paid vacation
Cons: short breaks and having to work on holidays
Working at Rue21 helped me develop myself as a person and learn to express myself. A typical work day consisted of opening or closing the store and completing bank deposits, helping customers, pushing sales and setting the sales floor by doing floor plans and getting out stock. As manager, I watched over associates and taught them skills to succeed at their job. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the paperwork and doing large seasonal sign changes, but they were not entirely awful, just time consuming. The most enjoyable part was being completely comfortable and the atmosphere.
Never again!!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), MarylandOctober 10, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: district manager
Rue21 is the most unorganized company I've ever worked for...the clothes are cheap so people make a lot of returns due to the fact that their quality of clothes isn't up to par. The District Manager Lives for drama and confusion and she also lies as well. I see why they promote quickly because they lose people left and right. They expect you to go above and beyond for nothing and will use you to their advantage.
Great experience
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: met great people
Cons: having discount cause then would waist all my money there
Awesome team work and customer satisfaction
Learned speaking skills with customers
Great management
Fun yet hardworking on the job
On very busy seasons
I got to meet very amazing people
Challenging yet rewarding work environment
District Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 27, 2014
Pros: employee discount and growth opportunity
Cons: must have strong skill set in time management, due to fast growth some processes are unnecessary
Competency focused, room for growth in a fast pace work environment. Strong focus on people development.
Rue21 does not give enough tools for any store to be successful.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good discount
Cons: see above review.
Because our store drove so much business, we were able to expand into a new RueGuy prototype store. This will be the death of all Rue stores. The company is expanding too rapidly and creating too many stores to keep up with the sales. Our RueGuy store was up to last year every single day, and usually up to our plan projected sales. During our expansion we went through one store manager that simply could not handle the traffic and left. We were not given a new store manager another two months. This should have been the first on the company’s priority list, but they did not think it was that important.
All of our issues boiled down to the company being so cheap. Our store was comping LY and plan, however, we were never given enough hours to completely run our store. We stayed until midnight every night (I am not exaggerating one bit) to clean up the store. If we were given more hours to have more associates during both the day and night shifts, the store would not become so messy. Rue is a big chain now but they still have the mindset of a tiny factory store. They need to update their ways of thinking. The greats and the big corporate chains (Kohl’s, Target, JC Penney) work because they give the time, money, and effort into their stores that it takes to be a big super company. Rue does not. Rue21 does not care one big about the little guys in the stores. The upper management simply makes decisions based on what is better for their own fiscal pockets than what makes sense for the company as a whole. If these big corporate employees spent one day actually working (not visiting our – more... stores and criticizing our work ethics, but themselves actually working and folding and ringing up customers) they would understand the struggles we face each day. Of course they would never do that because they put themselves on such a high pedestal, but something needs to be done. Rue21 needs to start thinking like a big company or it will completely fail. The RueGuy system will be the end to all Rue stores.
You are given no work/life balance at Rue. If you have an important corporate visit you bet your butt you will be working day in and day out (yes, open to close shifts) that entire week to perfect that store.
The one benefit I can say to the store is the people you meet along your journey. Whether you stay for a month or a few years, you will see people come and go in Rue, and some of them can become friends. I have no other positive comments about the store. – less
Challenging Environment
eCommerce Technology Manager (Former Employee), Warrendale, PAAugust 21, 2014
I worked for rue21. I left.
Great people. Poor management. Too much bureaucracy for such a small company.
Very friendly, productive, motivating environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chesterfield, VAAugust 20, 2014
What I enjoyed the most about Rue21 was my co-workers and love my manager. Very cooperative, being part of a winning team was very fortunate; working together to become that winning team. Selling fragrance was quite competitive and fun. Helping customers find outfits and jewelry. Interacting, it's good for your social life.
A fun and comfortable Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Farmington, NMAugust 20, 2014
Pros: got to have first pick sometimes
Cons: not enough hours
A typical day at Rue21 was a joy and I have always looked forward to the next day at work. I learned a lot while working at rue21. I learned how to work the cash register and how to handle a full house. I also learned how to multitask and help customers. my management was an A+. Never had a problem with them or with the rules and policy's. I Believe the hardest part on the job was tagging each product to be set out to the sales floor. I always poked my fingers every now and then when I wasn't pay close attention. other than that I enjoyed my position at Rue21. I looked forward opening the store and getting ready to see the first customer to walk in.
Horrible Company to Work for
Managment (Former Employee), Central UtahAugust 18, 2014
Pros: 50% discount weekend roughly every month. some cute clothes
Cons: sizing is all messed up, dm's never do what they say they will, dm's will throw their stores to the wolves to save their own hyde, the company does not care about their employees
Typically you'd spend your day filling out opening paperwork, chatting in your associates, doing pulls/markdowns, rearranging product, receiving shipment, training new employees, setting/changing promotions....just to name a few and you don't receive any additional payroll!!! If you're planned to do $40,000 in a week and you're trending to do $50,000 you do NOT get any extra payroll but you're supposed to cut 3 hours for every $1000 you are down from plan. Most stores are expected to run on less than 200 hours. There's no loyalty within the company, everyone is ready to throw you under the bus if it can further them in any way. Including District Managers, and Regional Managers. They are the most unstructured company I've ever worked for. They expect a perfect store that is never sitting on product but don't give you the hours needed to complete anything. They expect you to drop everything in your store to go help another store, and aren't happy if you express the need to stay in your store. All in all this was the WORST career move I have made!!! The company is not worth your time, I give them 5 years max before they start closing stores because of over saturating the market. I'd be amazed if rue21 is even still around in 10 years.
Way too much expected of you..
Store manager (Current Employee), AnonymousAugust 9, 2014
Pros: clothes are adorable ..
Cons: discount, 43 hr work weeks required, too much product in stores.
This company is doing it all wrong !!! They send way too much product everyday. Shipment is impossible to keep up with. Then on top of that they want you to do anywhere between 300-1100 markdowns every week. Oh hey then change your tables and put the 600 shirts we sent you Today on them. Oh then make sure you sell fragrance,make sales, train new hires ( that you are not given payroll for) , make your store perfect, protect the merchandise from thieves,ring people up, get fitting rooms and put go backs away.. And they pay very low for their management. Also DMs have favorites and that's who they promote and give new stores to. I could go on and on .. Just steer clear!
Productive and exciting work environment
Assistant Manager Full-time (Former Employee), Lapeer, MIJuly 30, 2014
A typical day consisted of store opening procedures, which included maintaining the cleanliness of the store in all ways, checking emails and staying in direct communication with DM about anything that was to be completed or any questions that came up, as well as making sure the current promotions were set to standard. Completing all required shift tasks during business hours in-between helping customers. Selling and adding on and creating a relationship with each individual customer by offering that one-on-one experience.

I learned time management skills that were needed in order to run a successful store in a demanding environment. Maintaining a fun and friendly store setting ensured that each employee was happy to come to work and complete each task that was delegated to them.

Hardest part of the job was, during peak times and busy store days, keeping up with the company's expectations of tasks that should be completed. Also, keeping up with heavy loads of shipment without taking away from attention to customers and their needs.

Most enjoyable would be maintaining a fun environment for customers and co-workers. Keeping the store alive and happy, ensured that customers would receive friendly and genuine service.
Lack of acknowledgement
Part-Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYJuly 29, 2014
Pros: coworkers, enviornment, discounts.
Cons: management, paperwork, expectations
management was horrible and expected too much. getting in contact with hire-ups were next to impossible. no one would do anything they said they were going to do. I liked that I was able to advance when the paperwork was actually done. it was impossible to get a straight answer.
Fun, creative, ability to explore your own personal style
Store Manager (Former Employee), South Boston, VAJuly 23, 2014
Pros: being fashion forward
Cons: fragrance bottle requirements
A typical day at work involved interaction with customers, upselling, and promoting sales.

I learned you can change a person day through a little conversation and supreme customer service.

Management was always there to encourage the employees to up sale and be interactive.

Overall, my co-workers were friendly and enjoyable.

The hardest part of the job was selling fragrance.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers.
Learning fun experince for a first time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Baytown, TXJuly 19, 2014
Friendly professional environment to work in; helping costumers find any outfits that met their needs
Average Company to work for
STORE MANAGER/TRAINER (Former Employee), Smithfield, NCJuly 17, 2014
Good Company. Bad District Manager. Different store/area would have been a better situation in my experience.
Productive and fun enviroment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Richmond, VaJuly 11, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: breaks
A typical day at work includes helping customers with any questions or needs, selling fragrance and keeping the store clean.
I've learned that no matter how hard you try, your only judged by your results shown not the effort put in.
Management is OK.
My co-workers are fun and easy going.
The hardest part about my job is convincing customers to purchase our fragrances.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I meet or go beyond my fragrance bottle goals; that makes my managers and I happy.

About rue21

rue comes from the French word for street while 21 embodies the age that everyone wants to be! Inspired by the spirit and style – Read more

rue21 Photos