rue21

rue21 United States Employee Reviews

Employees are fun and energetic to work with! Not to mention always fashion forward to represent a leading fashion forward Industry.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Parker, CODecember 4, 2014
Pros: fun energetic staff; great prices for employees; awesome atmosphere
In my position of management I received a very good impression in regard to the overall operations of our business. Our General Management team and leading district regionals are top of the line with nearly twenty years of experience each. Days are very fast paste due to high volume locations and fashion forward apparel.
I would have the pleasure of interacting with very diverse groups of customers everyday. This would have to be the most enjoyable part of my job. Costumers would sometimes stop in just to see me and say hello!
Fun but Disorganized
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXNovember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible with schedules, store management
Cons: disorganized higher managment
A typical day at work is busy, there is always something to do never a bland day. I learned how to handle difficult situations and how to manage a store. Co-workers are kind and friendly and are always available to take up shifts you can't work. Hardest part of the job is the physical demand and work load for such a small store there is so much things to do and staying way past close can be hard. Most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and the fun customers.
company i sawful
sales executive (Former Employee), wrentham maNovember 16, 2014
this company is awful i knkow for a fact part of the managment in the Massachusettsbranches sleep with their employees. mostly the gay guys. its embarrassing.
great place to shop but not to work
sales associate (Former Employee), Plainview txNovember 15, 2014
Cons: everything
I was hired and on my 6th before i came into work i had family drama follow me to work. I was told to deal with it even though i insisted that it could wait till i got off at 10. Needless to say it escluated. 2 hrs later i was told to go home and not to come back till they called me. 3 days later i received a call from the SM telling i missed my shift. Then he told me i was being let go for something that happened when i was off the clock and 3 stores away from Rue21. The training was unhelpful at best. The fact that you have to push perfume on every customer. What absolutely kill Rue21 for me was after i was let go the SM said for me to go visit the store and not to be a stranger. I will not shop there again EVER and im glad not be working There.
Decent place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHNovember 13, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: short breaks, black out days, under compensated
Nice place to work with decent management, Unless you are a manager, the sales associate job is mainly for high school aged young adults, as the pay is low and hours are not consistent. If in a manager position, don't apply if your are still attending college as it will greatly hinder your time for homework and going back home to visit family.
Great staff, stressful job
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Roanoke Rapids, NCNovember 7, 2014
awesome staff that I worked with. However, the work and the hours were stressful.
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Brunswick, GANovember 6, 2014
Pros: 50% off discount every 5 weeks
Cons: short breaks, selling fragrances, unrealistic updates, upper management sucks!!!
I worked for this company for 2 years and this company works you like a slave. The visual changes, the table changes, the rearranging of departments!! This company is the true definition of OVER KILL!!! Also, upper management does not care about "workers" they just email all your task and you have to figure it out..
fun times
Associate (Current Employee), wheatland, TXOctober 28, 2014
Pros: discount, team effort, flexible
Cons: selling perfume, people who steal
Rue21 is a very easy job not really demanding easy to move up in the company. the only downside is people who try to steal, and always having to make fragrance sells because apparently clothes sell them self . other then that its a very enjoyable place to work.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLOctober 23, 2014
A typical day at work would consist of discussing goals for motivation to meet daily sales and fragrance goals. Given room explore ones creativity by allowing the associates the build and design accessory and clothing walls. Which for me was one of the most enjoyable parts of that job.
The Most Horrible Company to Work for
Store Manager (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaOctober 18, 2014
I worked for this company from the bottom up and I must say that it is the most horribly ran company that I have ever worked for. They do not give you any tools for success, the district manager was fake-drama filled and only cares about the stores that didn't need assistance. You would get anywhere from 1-50 boxes of shipment daily, no stock associate means you would have to do all of your stock plus 65 table changed, 2000 piece markdown and still customer service, do visuals, keep your fragrance up (they expect you to sell fragrance like its crack) heaven for bid if you don't make your fragrance sells and cut hours when you don't make sales 1 hour per $300 down... THERE WAS JUSR NO WAY TO DO ALL OF THESE THINGS WITH THE RESOURCES WE WERE ALLOWED TO HAVE. At a manager level it wasn't even that you were a manger because you were micro managed and told what you could and could not do. Please do yourself a favor and do not work for this company. Oh and I forgot to mention that every month there is an associate appreciation weekend and you are expected to make a goal of $1000 or more and if u don't you get scolded by your district manager and they will make you hire people that are going to spend money, not people that are qualified for the position. They also suspect that if you are not shopping, you are stealing. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!!!! STEAR CLEAR!!!!

Nothing they sale is worth buying it's all cheaply made.

Fragrance does not last.

Do not care about their customers just as much as they do not care about their employees.
slow pace
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), texasOctober 16, 2014
my over all experience was good. It was a seasonal job, so i didn't do as much as all the regular employees.
Hated it
Sales associate (Former Employee), Glenwood Springs, COOctober 15, 2014
Lets just say the pay is horrible and te girls create so much drama i just hated it
Very friendly and fun store.
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee), Midvale, UTOctober 14, 2014
Opening the doors and get the registers ready for the day make sure there is the right amount of dollars and coins for the employee to start his/her day. Wait for the employees to arrive and walk around the store pick up anything that has fallen and put it in its place, we have a little meeting just before it is time for the doors to open and talk to them about the goals set for the day before and how we did, then let them know what our goals are for the present day. Make sure the co-workers are set and ready to greet the customers as soon as they come in and ask if there is anything that they can help them find or if there is something particular they are looking for. During the day we keep busy keeping the store in a great condition for the customers experience in our store. The hardest part of the store is trying to maintain it looking decent mainly the days that we are very busy, we try our best. The most enjoyable part of working here is that we become great friends with the customers and love having them come back to the store it is a great place to work for.
Exciting work environment where you can express yourself.
Assistant Manager I Rue21 (Former Employee), Elizabethton, TNOctober 13, 2014
Pros: holiday pay and paid vacation
Cons: short breaks and having to work on holidays
Working at Rue21 helped me develop myself as a person and learn to express myself. A typical work day consisted of opening or closing the store and completing bank deposits, helping customers, pushing sales and setting the sales floor by doing floor plans and getting out stock. As manager, I watched over associates and taught them skills to succeed at their job. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the paperwork and doing large seasonal sign changes, but they were not entirely awful, just time consuming. The most enjoyable part was being completely comfortable and the atmosphere.
Never again!!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), MarylandOctober 10, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: district manager
Rue21 is the most unorganized company I've ever worked for...the clothes are cheap so people make a lot of returns due to the fact that their quality of clothes isn't up to par. The District Manager Lives for drama and confusion and she also lies as well. I see why they promote quickly because they lose people left and right. They expect you to go above and beyond for nothing and will use you to their advantage.
Great experience
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee), Brownsville, TXSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: met great people
Cons: having discount cause then would waist all my money there
Awesome team work and customer satisfaction
Learned speaking skills with customers
Great management
Fun yet hardworking on the job
On very busy seasons
I got to meet very amazing people
Challenging yet rewarding work environment
District Manager (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 27, 2014
Pros: employee discount and growth opportunity
Cons: must have strong skill set in time management, due to fast growth some processes are unnecessary
Competency focused, room for growth in a fast pace work environment. Strong focus on people development.
Rue21 does not give enough tools for any store to be successful.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILAugust 21, 2014
Pros: good discount
Cons: see above review.
Because our store drove so much business, we were able to expand into a new RueGuy prototype store. This will be the death of all Rue stores. The company is expanding too rapidly and creating too many stores to keep up with the sales. Our RueGuy store was up to last year every single day, and usually up to our plan projected sales. During our expansion we went through one store manager that simply could not handle the traffic and left. We were not given a new store manager another two months. This should have been the first on the company’s priority list, but they did not think it was that important.
All of our issues boiled down to the company being so cheap. Our store was comping LY and plan, however, we were never given enough hours to completely run our store. We stayed until midnight every night (I am not exaggerating one bit) to clean up the store. If we were given more hours to have more associates during both the day and night shifts, the store would not become so messy. Rue is a big chain now but they still have the mindset of a tiny factory store. They need to update their ways of thinking. The greats and the big corporate chains (Kohl’s, Target, JC Penney) work because they give the time, money, and effort into their stores that it takes to be a big super company. Rue does not. Rue21 does not care one big about the little guys in the stores. The upper management simply makes decisions based on what is better for their own fiscal pockets than what makes sense for the company as a whole. If these big corporate employees spent one day actually working (not visiting our – more... stores and criticizing our work ethics, but themselves actually working and folding and ringing up customers) they would understand the struggles we face each day. Of course they would never do that because they put themselves on such a high pedestal, but something needs to be done. Rue21 needs to start thinking like a big company or it will completely fail. The RueGuy system will be the end to all Rue stores.
You are given no work/life balance at Rue. If you have an important corporate visit you bet your butt you will be working day in and day out (yes, open to close shifts) that entire week to perfect that store.
The one benefit I can say to the store is the people you meet along your journey. Whether you stay for a month or a few years, you will see people come and go in Rue, and some of them can become friends. I have no other positive comments about the store. – less
Challenging Environment
eCommerce Technology Manager (Former Employee), Warrendale, PAAugust 21, 2014
I worked for rue21. I left.
Great people. Poor management. Too much bureaucracy for such a small company.
Very friendly, productive, motivating environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chesterfield, VAAugust 20, 2014
What I enjoyed the most about Rue21 was my co-workers and love my manager. Very cooperative, being part of a winning team was very fortunate; working together to become that winning team. Selling fragrance was quite competitive and fun. Helping customers find outfits and jewelry. Interacting, it's good for your social life.

About rue21

rue comes from the French word for street while 21 embodies the age that everyone wants to be! Inspired by the spirit and style – Read more

rue21 Salaries