rue21 Employee Reviews in United States

Very fun and light environment!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXApril 8, 2016
Everything about my job as a sales associate was wonderful! I only left working there to go to school to further my education! If I could return to Rue 21, I definitely would!
One more straw on the camels back.
Full Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Just around the cornerApril 8, 2016
This company is a great company to get retail experience with and you advance very quickly. But once you reach the upper levels of management you get pushed to your breaking point on a daily level. From the constant harassment from district managers to the ridiculous workloads and task make coming to work a drag. For a company that wants such a large focus on customer service they expect way too much from their people and don't give them the correct tools.
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
benefits, workloads, no separation in work and person life, upper management
Small workplace
Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 7, 2016
if you dont sell fragrance you dont get hours which is completely bull and shouldn't be a thing. honestly as a first job i wish i had picked somewhere else i wouldn't have wasted my time here. the people are nice but are mean at little things too. Ive never gotten more than 12 hours a week.
Pros
50% off once a month
Cons
forced to sell perfume to get hours, if you dont talk to every customer you get called out on it
Fun envirnoment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 7, 2016
Working at rue 21 was a great way to learn many skills. Cashing, being organized, having great customer service, being able to look over other employees. Hardest part was dealing with people the seal from the store & enjoyable part was getting to work with great people.
Productive fun place NCAA basketball braket challenge
Sales Audit (Current Employee) –  Cranberry, PAApril 5, 2016
A great company that allows you to be yourself. Growth and freedom allow you to never stand still in a professional environment
Really enjoyed my time at Rue 21. I learned some of my most valuable skills here.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Prairie, WIApril 5, 2016
I really enjoyed working for the company. The staff and management teams are excellent teachers and coaches. Learned a lot of valuable skills in my time with the company. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a nice part time job.
productive, fun comfortable work place
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARApril 3, 2016
Pros
Being able to make the customers happy
Cons
Hours not given out properly, rude management, lack of hours, favoritism towards workers who do not pull their weight as they work.
Ups and Downs
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCMarch 31, 2016
Everyday is unpredictable. One day will have a good flow, while the next day can be stressful with a lack of team work. Many co-workers are easy to get along with. However, the ones who are usually the "no shows" surprisingly get praised and second chances. Before the new management the company was a place I would look forward to coming into. Now, due to the lack of communication and favoritism, I have become stressed out and depressed.
Pros
Being able to make the customers happy.
Assistant Manger
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIMarch 30, 2016
Training to be successful in this location is not key or important to be. When asking for support to learn or develop, they act like you should all ready know cause you you've been trained from there 600 page manual in 2 weeks . Of course you had a lot of time to read.

You ask for help, your field Managment say " I don't need to hold your hand thru everything " just sell Fragrance! Then they come to your store an try to show you how to sell, an they can't even make one sale in 4 hours in the store. An it was a busy Friday.

They don't give enough payroll to support Task and Customer engagement to balance. So if you give up one of them, you'll be behind on sales/ Fragrance OR shipment/Table Change/Markdowns/Marketing Change/ Recruiting& Training/Recovery.

Target store, meaning your being watched . They think by giving 2-2 or 3-3 coverage is going to be able to support you from external thieves with booster bags an Huge groups stealing from you, these professional thieves watch to store on a constant basis. The Target Program is old garbage.

Store management team is very unorganized, the managers don't have delegated responsibilities, nobody's being held Accountable.
Pros
Great clothing Discounts
Cons
unprofessional Field managers
work
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 30, 2016
i like it until the manger push u to the point u do not want to work for them anymore, it not the work, it the behavior and pressure they put you under for the smallest things, on top of not paying they workers as they should.
Pros
love the breaks, people and food
Cons
no big discount, not enough pay
No time for family/Life; All time goes to Rue21
FT Asst Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterford, CTMarch 29, 2016
Worked 4 yrs and given no opportunity to take over as SM after being FT Asst Manager for 3. Pay grade is horrible and unfair for all the tasking you must complete in one 8 hr day. Crazy staff turnover, including management. Pressured to do everything flawlessly. DM never gives credit for good things, but easily points out flaws. I have to say Rue21 and all it stood for has certainly changed. If family and life in general is important to you, trust me when I say, this company is not for you. I've seen about 10 ppl quit within a yr. That should speak for itself.
Pros
An easy way to get into retail
Cons
Bad pay, No life/ Work balance, Pressure to do things in an unrealistic time frame
Management Position
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COMarch 25, 2016
I am a former assistant manager from Rue21 and if you want to have absolutely no free time- then apply. I never had any weekends or evenings off, even if I requested them in advance. The atmosphere is great but they require too much. Ever since the original store manager left- it hasn't been be same.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
No time off, short breaks, not good pay
Company that never stands still
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Quincy, ILMarch 21, 2016
Typical Day of Store Management at rue21

Creating daily sales papers and documents
Informing other employees on daily goals and sales plans
Creating task lists for organization and time management
Helping and Greeting customer to create the perfect experience
Managing employees to complete the perfect customer experience
Keeping up with check ins from home office
Monitoring sales throughout the day and adjusting goals as needed
Selling fragrance and maintaining a monthly fragrance percentage
Maintaining department sales and adjusting goals and visuals as needed
Cash register procedures and expectations
Banking procedures and expectations
Company Loss Prevention and expectations
Pros
Fast pace, team work, fun environment
Cons
Lots of tasking, low pay, pressure of stress
Excellent company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSMarch 20, 2016
Rue culture at rue21 is fun, hip, and social. Great incentives and job promotions. Great benefits and a growing company. Excellent training and amazing people.
Pros
Awesome music, hip vibe, cool CEO
Fun moving locations
Moving Helper (Former Employee) –  Asheboro, NCMarch 18, 2016
Came into work on time, got the job done. My co-workers were really helpful. The hardest part of the job was moving heavy boxes.
overall a gerat experience
cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAMarch 18, 2016
A very fun place to work the team was absolutely great to work with the management was great our dress code was very lenient
Pros
the area, dress code
poor management and bad customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAMarch 13, 2016
My typical day at work would be extremely busy it if was the afternoon shift and extremely boring if it was the morning shift. Management was pretty good when I started working there in late 2014. There's new management and their service could be negligent and they show favoritism. They're unfair when it comes to making schedules, since they give hours to employees that are their favorites. Some co-workers are friendly whereas other co-workers are not so friendly. Working there was pretty simple, and could be fun, depending on who you're working with.
Pros
free snacks sometimes
Cons
short breaks
great!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palestine, TXMarch 9, 2016
great place to work at, emplyers were respectfull. place ws kept clean at al times. managers were understanding. it was a very fun invorment t be at. i enjyed the expirience of working for rue 21.
Very fun workplace yet highly unprofessional with very little pay
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 7, 2016
Rue 21 was my ideal "teenage job". The job was nothing but fun and was pretty relaxed. A typical day at work consisted of making fragrance sales, creating outfits to catch customers' attention, keeping tables folded and neat, opening dressing rooms and just enjoying time with my co-workers. Working at Rue 21, I learned just how far professionalism in the workplace can take you, Although my job was a ton of fun, Rue 21's level of professionalism was very low. Everyone invited personal conflicts into the workplace. Sometimes it was too unfriendly and not very inviting. The managers will literally curse you out if you are not doing something correctly or the way THEY want it done. They will sometimes run over and belittle you, making it hard to even stay there. However, I pretty much fell in love with my co-workers. We were a pretty good team. The hardest part of the job was trying to get hours. The average hours a week was maybe 10. Selling fragrances was not always easy, so if you sucked at it you pretty much weren't getting paid. The best part of working at Rue 21 was the freedom, Managers were very lenient and there weren't many rules and restrictions, as long as you "kept it professional" and got the job done. We also had a lot of times to interact. Ex.) Rue Parties, Dinners, Meetings, Game days, etc.
Pros
Flexibility, freedom, fun
Cons
unprofessional, unfriendly, very low pay, very few hours
Crowded unorganized work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 6, 2016
Coworkers and were approachable. However the store was very crowed wasn't very happy to go to work. Managers were a little difficult with scheduling.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
short breaks