rue21 Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Gadsden, ALMarch 25, 2015
I enjoyed working here. I didn't agree with everything management done, but that's normal. It was a fun place to work, overall.
Worst job I've ever had
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), BeavercreekMarch 25, 2015
Pros: Job security, as no one else wants to work here.
Cons: Everything else.
I worked there as an assistant manager and when the opportunity to be promoted to store manager came I politely turned it down as I knew I would need to work 6 days a week at least (although only 5 work days is technically required) to realistically get everything done.
Basically way too much to do and never enough time. Store will always look like a giant sloppy garage sale. That's because the warehouse gives you way too much stuff and it's IMPOSSIBLE to fit it all into the space that you have. They have a good bonus program but you have to achieve sales goals ANDY control shrink, which is impossible as You will ALWAYS be tasking and you are NOT ALLOWED to call mall security or approach anyone when you see them steal. They are so afraid of lawsuits they will just allow customers to get away with it, so you can just waive that nice bonus "bye/bye"..
Never enough payroll hours, pay, etc. You will always be stressed and never happy. Customers are rude, and you have to give them what they want even if if it's clear as day that they are wrong. The last manager there was very unprofessional as well as the current DM. (I actually hope they read this)
Also company scammed me on my vacation pay-out even though i gave a Notice.
"Screw Rue" is all I have to say.
a so so company to work for. Be careful and trust no one!!!
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Muskegon, MIMarch 24, 2015
Pros: having the right team in place
Cons: stock, workload, long hours, HORRIBLE upper management
I loved my team but the hours, the work load, and the DM were HORRIBLE!!! The company losses good people because of bad judgment. I'm not going to let this Rue21 experience make me bitter but I'm going to us it to make me better. I will say this, this company will either make you or break you. Will not support your success.
suck ups.
Assistant manager (Former Employee), hickory NC.March 15, 2015
Cons: favoritism
This company likes to run on favorites and suck up to others just to get what they want. Company is greedy when they have all stores 30 min apart and they still want you to try and make sales on a daily basis. They base your performance on cheap fragrance. District manager is a joke also. CO workers were OK depending on the store.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hanover, MDMarch 11, 2015
Productive and fun workplace i love helping customers find clothes to wear.I like to see others happy with the best choice they made in finding something to wear
.....
Sales associate (Current Employee), Primm, NVMarch 10, 2015
i loved working there its just one of my managers was very inappropriate with some of the comments he would make to the female employees
The Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tulsa, OKFebruary 23, 2015
Cons: short breaks
It has a really good work environment and you will always feel like you are in the right place when you come into work everyday.
Nice experience
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Douglas, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Clocked in and cleaned most of the time and assisted customers with their needs. Also tagged and hung clothes. Got along with everybody didn't have any problems whatsoever. Most enjoyable part were the people and customers. I love meeting new people and working with customers. My manager loved me. I always did what she said.
Productive but fun workplace
Sales Cashier (Current Employee), Wooster, OHFebruary 20, 2015
My coworkers might be the best part of my job. I just love working with people and dancing along to the music to get things done. It's typical to find us doing so. We enjoy ourselves much more however when we make productivity fun.
Fast Paced, Enjoyable, Dedication, Right Track
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), OklahomaFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good atomosphere, learning experience, great first step into the retail world, clothing discounts
Cons: hour cuts, overpiled with tasking with not enough time, not enough family time, unreasonable about emergencies and college
Hitting Goals, creating goals, tracking segments and plans, learned about ADS, UPT, inventory, management, sales, payroll, planning, organization, Visual following, policy and procedures, multitasking, interpersonal skills, customer service, problem solving skills, marketing, merchandising, accurate money handling, banking, opening and closing operations, drawer counts, coaching and training, interviewing and hiring,

Management is great, and I loved being a part of it.

Hardest parts of the job are the hour cuts, not enough pay for the jpb you're doing, HAVING to be so dedicated that you don't have a family life and they aren't good about working around college, they also aren't understanding about leave of absence for emergencies.

The most enjoyable part is what overcomes every hardship.
I personally had the best set of coworkers and managers that a person could possibly have. There for, everything was a team effort and a learning experience (personal and professionally).
I love to sell and be interactive with customers, so I always had a blast.
Gives customers whatever they want
Assitant Store Manager (Former Employee), Canton, GAFebruary 18, 2015
This place will do whatever the customers want if they complain even about the littlest thing. It is very frustrating that they break the company rules and policies to cater to customer's who are complaining about the most insignificant things.
Not such a great job
Assistant Manager/Sales (Former Employee), Tempe, AZFebruary 12, 2015
I only worked here for a couple of months and if it wasnt for my store manager i probably would have left a lot sooner than what i did. The company is all over the place and my DM was not organized at all.
RUE 21
Sales Associate / Customer Service (Former Employee), Deridder, LAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: helping customers
Cons: everything else
Working for RUE 21 was rough. I am still not sure if it was just the one I worked at or if this is world wide for RUE21. I did not get any benefits, the management was rude and disrespectful. I did enjoy interacting with the customers, I love to talk with people and help them, so that part of my job was enjoyable, but everything else about this position was awful, which is why I resigned right after I got hired by CYS.
Unorganized
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Marietta, GAFebruary 4, 2015
Sell, sell, sell that fragrance. Don't have shrink at all. Say hello welcome to Rue to every guest while trying to sell them fragrance and cologne. In my store you can do every position there and still get paid 7.25 an hour with no promotion. Not good at keeping up with trends, poor quality clothes but expect extremely high quality service. Under new management now, could be better. Customer is always right until they leave the store, then its your fault for trying to get them the best deal.
Productive and a great environment for young adults
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Winston Salem, NCFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: building relationships with loyal customers
Cons: communication with several managers about workload
A typical work day in the shoes of an assistant manager would include reviewing the quotas for the day, week, month, and year. Management also arrives a few hours before the first sales assoaciate therefore the manager has to clean, balance the registers, and take the deposit to the bank before the store opens. This takes efficient time management skills, I've learned that there is literally no "I" in team. A manager must be able to delegate a 3-5 man team with high morale and satisfaction among its workers. The hardest part about the job would be the areas in which the worker's have no control, for example bad weather and missing quotas. The most enjoyable part of the job would be forming realtionships with customers that become loyal to the brand you represent based off your customer service skills provided.
Overworked and Under Paid!
Store Manager (Former Employee), Mansfield, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: working with our youth!, prices
Cons: working conditions, pay, communication from higher ups, task on daily basis, fragrance sale technique, return policy
Managers have some many task to do in and 8 hours day.
D/M's are over worked also. Upper management need proper communication training. Understand what Customer Service really stands for.
Relaxing environment with a great assisting staff
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Warsaw, INJanuary 25, 2015
This job has greatly matured me in many areas; notably with the management of people (both customers and employees). The environment in which rue21 provides makes it easy to grow, expand on, and advance in management. (I started as an associate and within 2 years was promoted twice). Only frustrating bit includes the occasional lack of consistency in the corporate offices, which has the potential to lead to diminishing communication, which ultimately has the ability to negatively affect individual stores. To be clear, this is occasional - a rarity - we are not in a constant state of dysfunctional embalmment. Rue is a wonderful, people-first company with a successful and devoted drive.
Productive and fun work place, nice customers and employees
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 20, 2015
Working at Rue21 was a fun experience for the fact you get to dress how you want and be yourself.. the employees at rue21 was very nice and very friendly. Working at rue21 i learned how to fold shorts properly and how to organize things from the lightest color to the darkest color or vice versa.
Typical High School Job
Logistics Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2015
Work overload, and underpaid. Unfair if you ask me. Mangers do not want to work.
Hip and Cool store
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Bradley, ILJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: trendy clothes
Cons: benefits
I was a assistant manager for 5 years. It had it's ups and downs but overall I enjoyed the job and the people I worked with. The environment is fun because you get to kind of become a personal assistant in helping people shop and put outfits together. There are difficult times though; dealing with those customers who come in for the five finger discount, or who always want something at a sale price when it shouldn't be, but your going to run into something negative at any job. I like the fact that I have the freedom to dress as I please; showing customers our trendy clothing. I also liked being able to make the customer feel pretty and good about themselves by finding outfits for them and showing them what looks good on their body type; not everyone knows how to shop and knows what fits their personality and figure. I enjoyed being able to train new employees. I think the hardest part of the job was dealing with those customers who no matter what you do, they just aren't satisfied. I had customers who I knew by face that would cause problems all the time, but you just have to have patience and deal with them accordingly.
Headquarters