rue21 Employee Reviews in United States

Rue21
Sales/stock (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2016
Good place to work for high school and college students. They give you fair hours and is a fun work environment. Must sell fragrances to get your hours.
Pros
pay you start out with
Cons
hours
Laid back and slow paced work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLMay 15, 2016
A typical day at work involved doing the cleaning check list in the morning, stocking the floor and organizing the floor, and running the register giving great guest service. The management is very laid back and my coworkers were not very hard working. The hardest part of the job was closing time when you had to clean and stock the store and make sure all the clothes are folded and organized. The most enjoyable part of my job was putting outfits together for my customers and them actually buying clothes and accessories that I had suggested to them.
Pros
50% off discount every few months
Cons
Only half hour breaks
Lots of work but soak it up like a sponge
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  USAMay 12, 2016
It's true- all of the reviews on the task load being crazy, but that's life. It you want to turn a profit, you have to do things others think is crazy to do. 2000 piece markdown, visual, inventory, and a corporate visit this week? If you can't handle it, it's not for you. We're our own breed. This company has taught me the most of myself, my weaknesses, my ability to multitask....it's a great place to work, grow, and thrive. You have to but into the culture and really believe what you're doing (or else, why waste your time doing it) It's not meant for everyone, but that's probably why everyone else is failing and we're turning a profit.
Pros
freedom, fashion, corporate support, ability to advance
Cons
low pay for the workload
rue21 Work Summary
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHMay 11, 2016
I started out at rue21 at 16 years old and I was absolutely in love with my job. People were great, pay was great at the time, and I enjoyed going to work, but that was only for the first year. After the first year, I got promoted to a PT Assistant Manager and I also loved that at first, but later come to realize it isn't a great company to work for at all. The management was terrible. The pay was extremely low (at 8.10/hr) for all the work you have to do. You weren't treated right and you never had free time to yourself. It was an extreme unbalance of work and personal life. Lastly, the CEO's wife makes the fragrances you are required to sell, but you aren't rewarded for selling them. It is just required or you get in trouble and you hours can possibly be cut. On average a sales associate lasts about two years and they move on.
Pros
Good for someone who is young. Can be good depending on who your coworkers are.
Cons
Low pay. Bad management. Unbalance of life and work.
Rue21 was a fun enviorment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEMay 10, 2016
I was at rue21 since I was 16. I loved interacting with all the different costumers and I loved keeping busy with many tasks that were supposed to be done. The management was great.
Pros
management
Cons
weekends were terribly busy
fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 5, 2016
Typed, copied multi documents in different formats, send out brochures, coordinate conference events
Computer usage of Microsoft Office programs
Nice company to work for
Stock Manager (Current Employee) –  Gaffney, SCMay 4, 2016
I enjoy working here. My co-workers are like family. I like the fast pace work environment and I like working in fashion.
Tasky
Assistant Manager (Interim Store Manager) (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 4, 2016
Very enjoyable, but very tasky. Things are always changing as it relates to merchandise placement. I don't complain about that because it keeps me busy. Sometimes there's too much to do and run the risk of giving customers the impression that you are too busy for them. Unfortunately, we aren't given the payroll hours to have multiple people in the store to achieve optimal customer service levels sometimes.
Too many tasks not enough people/hours
Full Time assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 3, 2016
Worked for the company probably longer than anyone and I can tell you from personal experience that management is underpaid, overworked and honest we did pretty much everything. The associates are young (16-21) but since its so laid back many workers no-call no show or call in because its a party town having Ball State campus near by. Some were great but the low pay caused them to easily get picked away to other stores. I like the challenging environment but as a long term job I would not recommend this if you wanna keep your sanity.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Too much tasks, No Discipline, Low pay
Rue 21
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 3, 2016
Rue 21 is an high volume store, always busy, lines out the door, all customers were not satisfied because of short staff. Management could have been a lot better, Co-Workers were friendly, though didn't seem to enjoy work as much as they should have.
Great Start Up Job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMay 3, 2016
Okay Job, Great environment, not enough time to complete task. Task include creating new walls, marking down clearance items, put out new products, sale perfume, and audit cash drawers
Pros
growth
Cons
over worked
Helping shoopers with clothes and fragrances
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCMay 2, 2016
Busy Day with lots of shoppers looking for good deals and coupons. Learning different ways to sell fragrances. Bonding with team effort with my co-workers to make our day plan.
Pros
Making sales
Cons
Not making our daily plain.
Tedious, but uplifting environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHMay 1, 2016
A typical day at work would be to fold clothes, walk around and assist customers.

I learned how to manage customer service better.

Management was unorganized

Co-workers seemed to come and go quickly

The hardest part of the job was staying busy or not being drained with the constant repetition of folding and hanging up clothes.

The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere being uplifting and fun
productive, fun work place
manager (Current Employee) –  South Boston, MAApril 27, 2016
a typical work day is making sure we are making money. sell, sell, sell. helping customers is always our number one goal. I really enjoy everyone I work with there because we work as a team, you are never alone. I learned a lot about responsibility in the work place. running a store can be hard and challenging but if you have a good team to work with, it seems like second nature.
Pros
dress in our clothes
Cons
no benefits
fun work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 27, 2016
a typical day at work we customer service everyone as they come in greet them to let them know they are welcome and assist them throughout the store
Pros
getting to work with different people
Cons
alot of cleaning
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VAApril 27, 2016
Some days during the week, shipment would be done which was easy and my favorite part about working there. Working holidays is alright depending on which holiday.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Breaks, hours, etc.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2016
I like rue21 as a company! They are very fast paced, so you have to be ready for it. There is constantly something to do, which I personally like, but Rue is NOT for everyone. If you want to stand around for a decent amount of time just waiting for customers do not expect it to be fun. But for people who like fast paced environments with something to do all the time it is perfect

A typical day consists of table updates, visual updates, or the like. Then always an emphasis on customer service. Depending on the location you work at, you must be able to multi task. The company expects things to be done on time while providing amazing customer service.

Management is great. My District Manager is phenomenal, the best I have had. He not only tries to help you succeed, but understands from a human standpoint. He does not expect too much, and this in itself motivates us to make him proud and meet his expectations.

Co-Workers are fantastic

Hardest part: Fragrance is an important KPI at Rue. We need to maintain between a 4 and 5 percent fragrance (dollars of sales) and it is difficult in the area I am in because everyone is more inclined to buy clearance items.
Because Rue is so customer focused they expect you to make the customer happy. Sometimes this is difficult because NO MATTER WHAT they must leave happy. So you must bite your tongue and just smile and give them whatever they want. Because the people you deal with WILL report you to corporate and corporate WILL call you and ask why you didn't just give them what they wanted. Corporate cares about the customer more
  more... than the employee. This can be good and bad at the same time. Because in this industry people will walk all over you because your "just work retail"

Enjoyable: I love the fast paced environment and I like that they matched my pay from my previous company. They could've easily offered me less. I also love that the company is very customer focused. They follow company structures like Nordstrom's where they replace damaged products and always ensure the customer leaves happy and returns. They honor expired Ruebucks if necessary to make the customer happy as well
Pros
Fast paced environment, trendy clothes
Cons
Demanding, customer base can be abusive
Interesting place to work, Always had new merchandise and fashion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXApril 26, 2016
A typical day at this job would be greeting the customer handing out coupons or reminding them of the new sales going on to provide a better pay for the business. I learned that showing items to a customers and stating the facts or maybe exaggerating just a bit can help you make many sales. Again I don't mean making out complete lies but maybe emphasizing the great details a specific product has. The job is as hard as you make it out to me of course that is my opinion. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing new products,clothes,jewelry, ect.
Pros
discounts on only certain dates
Cons
being given little hours
Great Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Uvalde, TXApril 26, 2016
Rue 21 is a great job to get the retail experience. You are able to socialize with the customers and understand how each person has their own style and personality.
Pros
Get to meet new people everyday
Cons
Not enough hours
great company to work for
Part-Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Covington, LAApril 26, 2016
They were a wonderful company to work for. The only downfall is that sales associates do not get that many hours. It is best for high school student or college students in less in management.

2.9