rue21

rue21 Employer Reviews

Fun work place, very productive live upbeat customer friendly
Part-Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 24, 2014
Sign in, find out what the days goals were great customers, assist customers, cashier, cleaning.
Co-workers are amazing they are all from different backgrounds and add to the job experience as far as being able to get along with different people.
There is no hardest part of this job I love everything about working here. Challenges occur but being able – more... to figure out what needs to be done and accomplishing them is the best feeling.
I love everything about my job; the customers my management team, my associates, as well as the tasks we have to complete daily. – less
Terrible Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Altoona, PAFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: 25% discount
Cons: everything else
Rue21 is a terrible company to work for. The upper management is only worried about making sales so they can get their bonuses, but they won't help you achieve that goal. They over use and take advantage of their workers. The pay is lousy for the amount of work you have to do, and they tend to go behind your back for a lot of things.
Enjoyed the customers & my co-workers
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Oxford, MSFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: no dress code
Cons: pay didn't really compensate for work required
Rue21 was okay. There's always something to do. The workload was fairly heavy, so sometimes it got a little chaotic. Overall, with good time management skills, you could be pretty productive.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Silverdale, WAFebruary 12, 2014
absolutly loved working here and for this company very flexible with hours and just a fun friendly atmospere
sales act
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 28, 2014
great seasonal job restocking/gobacks fitting rooms up sale advertising
Fun atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Poplar Bluff, MOJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: great discounts
Cons: a lot of tasks.
Overall a good place to work with alot of tasks.Focuses on customer service and sales.
good workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cypress, TXJanuary 20, 2014
greeting customers into the store, making them very welcome.
Fun, easy going, not always the best management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 20, 2014
I came into work and there would be a different Assistant Manager usually every shift. I had regular fragrance sales to keep up with and the co-workers were a little difficult due to the fact that most of them were teenage girls. The job itself was fun because I am a people person and I enjoy helping customers.
Terrible! wouldn't recommend
Holiday associate (Former Employee), Greenville ohioJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: everything else
I was hired as help for the 2013 holiday season.
I was hired in November, as was a friend of mine.
Same training day too - which helped none because the "training" was listening to the manager reading word for word from a packet for an hour.
I was hired from November 2013 - January 2014.
I had five hours the entire time. And it was Black Friday at 4am! – more... It was my first time ever working!
My friend that I previously mentions, had no hours whatsoever.
Why hire us if you aren't going to give us hours?!

The five hours that I did work - I spent cleaning because the store was in terrible condition. – less
great and wonderful experience
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 18, 2014
love the environment and people I worked with. its like family when working with rue21.
Great learning experience with blank canvas to build from
Procurement Manager (Former Employee), Warrendale PaJanuary 14, 2014
Co workers were great, boss was supportive and the environment was highly entreprenurial.
good place.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), layton,utahJanuary 3, 2014
i like working here specially when your pretty active all day long is a really sy enviroment.
Fun but stressful
Store manager (Former Employee), Normal, ILJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: everything else
There's no company like this one. Great place to work for until they weren't making projected sales then it was a lot of stress. No HR help. No help from upper management. Strict/tight payroll. A lot of tasking no time to complete. Cheap salary/compensation.
Geat Retail Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Decatur, ALDecember 18, 2013
Pros: discounts, atmosphere
Cons: pay
I loved working at rue21. I was the cashier. I worked quickly and was able to frequently make fragrance sales at the register.
Wonderful company for which to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Waterford, CTDecember 6, 2013
As in any retail job there were pros and cons. I love this company for many reasons including its fun-loving messages and benefits - especially Associate Appreciation when we receive an additional discount. The recent development in the People FIRST "bingo" is a great new way to award employees in ways that before we could not. Sometimes people become – more... complacent - as in any atmosphere - and I think this really helps. My store has some really great employees, which make the job really enjoyable, but some of the tasks are a bit too repetitive, especially when we move items from one table to another just to switch them back again a week later. I understand the need to update and draw attention to newer merchandise but sometimes the amount of movement made no sense. – less
Rue21
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Morganton, NCDecember 4, 2013
My job at Rue21 requires lots of paperwork and numbers. We have to keep track of sales to make sure we are on plan. I am an Assistant Manager so on any given stiff I manage 4 people at a time. I like all my co-workers. I like working with the public and seeing new faces everyday.
Upper Management and Shop Lifting Policies are Laughable
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Gastonia, NCNovember 26, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: every single thing
I worked here for a year and a half as a part time assistant manager. I left my previous job to take this one. When I was interviewed by the Store Manager and the District Manager, I was told I would be full time. When I did my paper work, it said part time. When asked about it the District Manager said that you had to start as part time, and be promoted. – more... Once I was in I found out we were a target store, and could not be promoted. I had 3 different District Managers, 2 Store managers, and 4 full time assistants.

Management at the district level and above are only concerned with themselves. They will lie to advance their careers in the easiest manner possible. For example, back in June 2013, one of our associates got a hold of the manager's cashier numbers. She used two of them to steal over $1500 from our store. When they were investigating this, the RLPM called me a liar and told me I was stealing. I did his job, and got our schedules and determined that this girl was here every time. When we asked her about it, she confessed. Another example, was their reason for terminating me. The decided that because I had been there the longest, and the shrink did not go down, I should be fired. The shrink problem has to do with their shop lifting policies, which I'll get to in a second. All of my DMs "unofficially" asked me to work off the clock, as well. I also work full time hours, with no promotion or benefits offered.

And the shop lifting policies are horrible. Rue 21 does NOT prosecute shop lifters, and only calls the Police if the customer gets violent. You are not allowed to call them on their stealing either. The thieves at my old store knew this, and used it to continually steal from our store, despite our best attempts to stop them. This creates a shrink problem. The District Manager will use someone as a scapegoat (fire them), in order to make it look like they did something.

For associates, the hours are horrible. Usually less then 10 a week. Also, you have to push fragrance like crazy.

I do NOT recommend that anyone work at this pitiful excuse for a retail store. – less
Fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), LaGrange, GANovember 22, 2013
Fun workplace, the employee discount was great, but the hours weren't that great.
Awesome place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Glenwood Springs, CONovember 3, 2013
Great place to work with awesome chances for advancement. Excellent benefits with 50% off regular priced items every two to three months.
Fun evironment, showed skills very well
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Portland, OROctober 28, 2013
I've learned to be alert and put my skills to work at the right times in order to make sales

About rue21

rue21 is one of the fastest growing specialty retailers in the country. We offer a broad assortment of the newest fashion trends – Read more

rue21 Photos