Rural King Employee Reviews

Loved seeing the behind the scenes of the Apparel world and learning what goes into getting things ready to be on the sales floor
Apparel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Plano, ILJune 22, 2017
Enjoyed the work I did and learned so much about the Apparel world on my own since the managers didn't really help much but when you work in an environment like that place it's too much drama like high school and the managers played favorites which is unfair to all employees
Pros
The knowledge I walked away with
Cons
The upper management staff
Shannons Review
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coshocton, OHJune 20, 2017
I loved working at Rural king! it was fun but serious! great team of people! I would love to be a part of the rural king team again! hoping to get back on there!
Rural King
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLJune 20, 2017
A great company to work for a lot of room for moving up. Only down fall is it can get a little hot inside but other than that I have nothing bad to say.
Non productive and horrible service
Seasonal Associate (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYJune 19, 2017
Very busy everyday, never had any help and had to do everything on my own. The management was very awful and are very lazy and all co-workers agree. The worst part of my job was I had to do everything because no one else would do it and the best part was meeting new people.
Pros
Discount
Cons
short breaks, management, lazy workers, poor pay
Very good management
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLJune 19, 2017
The people here are amazing. Management is also very good. Downfall is the pay is very low and not a lot of room for advancement. Hours are cut and schedules are changed without notice.
Active and Fast Paced Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJune 17, 2017
I had great co-workers that made my day go by fast. The customers were always fun and interesting to converse with. I learned how to move fast, multitask like a beast, and get it done like a boss!
Pros
Customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, VAJune 16, 2017
Has a good co-workers, they are very organized in their pricing. Not very understanding about scheduling, won't work with you unlike most companies. Does have very good pricing.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Unorganized
Not the best place to work due to management
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHJune 12, 2017
If management were better they would strive a lot better. They don't listen to the employees at all they really don't care to much about your well being.
Pros
The people
Cons
They work you like a dog and treat you like garbage
Job you can move up to management quick
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHJune 12, 2017
helping customers non-stop and filling the shelves with product.
Learned how to operate a forklift.
Management was nice, we had multiple store managers within 3 yrs.
you work with some pretty good people but they work the good workers to death and allow the lazy ones to continue to be lazy.
Trying to stay calm and not walk out from them expecting you to do a million things in a short period of time.
I really enjoyed the people I worked with and others not so much.
Pros
good first job to have
Cons
hours per week were low
only temporary
Loader (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHJune 11, 2017
this job is stressful. my job title was loader but its more like laborer. i was always busy and had a lot of heavy lifting along with angry customers and managers.
overworked and underpaid
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  WVJune 9, 2017
The amount of work expected is in no correlation to the pay. Constantly understaffed. No work/life balance whatsoever. Long hours, especially on weekends. The company doesn't stand behind it's employees.
Pros
benefits are good
Cons
unrealistic expectations
Fun time
Rural King (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHJune 9, 2017
It was a fun time working here and I really did like it. It was a decent job as a cashier and it was worth the time being there. They gave me good hours and worked with my schedule.
As a Manager- treated Poorly and dealing with a High School Clique Settiing
Driver Manager/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OHJune 9, 2017
Worked very hard, loyal, never missed a day of work. Company takes you for granted and they run their distribution centers with a clique of 4-5 people who run the show. Management responsibilities are not equally delegated. A lot of micro-managing from the home office. Unappreciative and unethical. HR over Warehouse & Transportation posted publicly derogatory comments on social media about a disabled America veteran. CEO Alex Melvin seems to have the right vision in mind but the wrong managerial team in place to succeed. Salaried employees get worked like slaves, I read these reviews before I got hired and decided to take a chance. There is no room for growth and if I were you, looking for a management position, I would look elsewhere. No job security- they will fire you when it's convenient for them.
Pros
Bonus Program
Cons
Work/life home balance- NO home life, slave drivers- High school atmosphere
fronted loader
Maintenance and Repair Worker (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OHJune 8, 2017
mainly customer service, helped grabbed shopping carts, restocking shelf's. loved team working and performing great customer care & service. helped deliver for customers houses after I was off the clock so it wouldn't be under anyone's responsibility but my own!!!
Hard working employees
Apparel Associate (Current Employee) –  Hartland, MIJune 7, 2017
Recovery of department straightening folded and hanging clothing, keeping shoe and toy departments neat and orderly. Customer assistance and processing returns. All employees are required to clean public restroom at assigned times, sweeping floors in the building, and assisting all departments in stocking and staging. We work well as a team. First company that I have worked for that doesn't use credit they pay for everything with cash and family owned.
Poorly run
Manager (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCJune 3, 2017
This has to be one of the most poorly run retail establishments I have ever worked in. Upper management have no idea how to treat their employees and have no respect for their department managers. Schedules are changed without notice and no one has the decency to inform you so you are reprimanded for situations out of your control.
The customer service of most is terrible, granted so are many of the customers as they "expect" detailed answers of products that are new to us and are very impatient but there is no need to belittle a person when they have a simple question.
Management also seem to get a "kick" out of making their employees feel stupid in front of other fellow employees and customers when communicating on the radios.
Communication is slack and things change with little or no warning. To-do lists are given to each person at the beginning of the day and are expected to be completed. These notes are irrational and impossible for one person to complete, when they are not it falls on the department managers alone and not ALL employees as it should. The department managers never get any support or help by upper management and are wrote up or fired for not doing the job of 4 people.
Many items are not priced or priced incorrectly and the inventory is not match what is actually in the store. The system that is used to price and check for inventory only works for a certain number of devices and does not support the entire stores need which makes the job difficult and does not make for happy staff or customers.
Pros
Fellow employees are nice. Bonuses
Cons
Everything else
Never Again
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJune 1, 2017
Everybody's personality could start out great but maybe 2 hours in about half the staff could be labeled "in a bad mood". Not a place I would ever suggest to work in actuality.
Pros
Some of the peopl that you meet
Cons
zero help
Farm enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Springfield,OHMay 31, 2017
You get to greet customers, if you really apply yourself you get to move up. You get to answer customers questions. Their are benefits available. The employees are nice.
Pros
Possibly a raise
Cons
Getting fired
Unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, ILMay 28, 2017
Alot of drama not only from associates but also from managers. I feel like with a good management team it could be a good job. But as of right now they are lacking in that department.
Pros
Easy advancement oppurtunities
Cons
Mice, cleaning up after animals, and poor pay.
Lots of areas to learn..Seasonal,agriculture,pets and learning software for the computer.
Dept manager (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHMay 26, 2017
Always work to do and usually busy.Enjoy employees and customers.Ive learned different retail stores have same goals as far as customer service and selling.
Pros
Have free hotdogs to customers on certain occasions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5