Rural King Employee Reviews in United States

Sweatshop, low pay, management doesn't care
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJuly 23, 2016
Don't work here unless you have no other option. Major disconnect between store employees, corporate employees & management. They run a low paying sweatshop. You're not told you could be out anywhere regardless of what job description is. Management does not back up their employees. Managers have said so what if we lose a few thousand in sales & customers are unhappy, we make millions, always another customer to replace them. Very low pay and high production expectation. Mostly young inexperienced management who need a few more years of experience before they got in the position they're in. Poor decision making. Maybe if the owner knew the people he delegates to have this attitude he'd change things. But, it seems to be all about the money.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks, hot miserable environment, management does not care about employees or customers
A lot of hours for a little pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJuly 19, 2016
By the time I left, I was working about 70 to 80 hours per week. I was only bringing home about 30,000 dollars. When calculated, that equates to about minimum wage. The managers there are overworked and most definitely underappreciated. The environment and the customers were the only redeeming quality of the job.
Pros
15% Store Discount
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
Its different
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Waverly, OHJuly 17, 2016
Rarely ever do you get 40 hrs. The general manager is an idiot womanizer who will only promote people out of rehab. There are no benefits and yearly you get up to 25 cents per hr raise.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
General manager
Beware this place
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJuly 14, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE

Hired on as a department manager, which just means Fulltime, you manage no one or thing. I was promoted in two weeks to Receiving manager, trained for two days at another store and thrown to the wolves. Upper management is lazy and prefers to delegate rather than work. A lot of upper management members are from other retail stores where they were fired or couldn't cut it. It's a management grave yard so to speak. You will never have time to get the tasks they want you to complete done and it is constant chaos all the time from poor practices and standards.

We were shipped a truck that contained hydrocholic acid, concentrated chlorine, 19 pallets of car batteries, and fertilizer. This was a bomb on wheels, when addressed with corporate I was told I could no longer send out emails because it called to light too many problems.

The store managers are former Walmart or meijers managers that failed miserably in their former lives, and thrive in a company without many controls.

Much more can be said but I'm tired of typing
Pros
Regular associates
Cons
Everything else
It's a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLJuly 2, 2016
It's a job. Hard workers seem to get punished. Lazy workers seem to get rewarded. Some gems in management but since not everyone is on the same page there is confusion. Don't get next schedule till last day of the last schedule so it's hard to plan your life. Don't feel like there is much advancement, been givin little opportunity to do so. Benefit is that it is a job and that you get 15% discount being an employee and they sell alot of cool stuff there.
Pros
Discount. Some Nice Employees
Cons
It's retail
Not a good place to work, unless you like rude people
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 30, 2016
The management is very unorganized, and rude. your fellow employees are rude to you when you first start. They have rat poison all over the store.
Decent place to work if youre not looking for a full time job.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJune 27, 2016
Head cashier involves making sure employees get their breaks, gives correct change to employees for their cash drawer. Making sure the front end was clean before we left for the night.
Pros
Liked my co-workers
Cons
No healthcare or vacation time
Good prices and products
Tool Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJune 16, 2016
CHAOTIC. Between the store manager and the four assistant store managers pulling employees this way and that way for special assignments nothing gets done. the store itself is filthy,
Decent workplace
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Waverly, OHJune 14, 2016
Everyday is different..
Not a lot good communication..
Management is not very good..
Good Co-workers.
Hardest part of the job is trying to make the General Manager Happy..
Pros
Christmas Bonus, Discounts at the RK Stores, Free/Paid Holiday dinners
Cons
Bad Management
Horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 12, 2016
Nothing was set in stone with management. There was no communication with the teams nor the employees. If we weren't needed on the registers, we were putting stuff on the shelves, which wasn't a problem.
fun but hard
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJune 7, 2016
a typical work day started off with a shift meeting telling us that would have to stay and work mandatory overtime. 90% of people do not quit theie job, they quit their management.
Corporate Over-reach
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYMay 25, 2016
Though the company has a good insight into its' target audience and the buyers do a good job of supplying the right products, the over-zealous approach by corporate management is many times counter-productive in the operation of their retail outlets.
Pros
Friendly store staff and management
Cons
Tense atmosphere when the corporate office becomes involved.
it was alright type of job
Floater (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILMay 23, 2016
I never got treated right, because of my disability. I told them that I was hard of hearing that I wouldn't be able to pick up phone calls. but then i get in trouble for it because i told them i couldnt understand them so i went got the another co-worker but they refuse to help me out so i ignore the phone went to my manger then he got mad because i "wouldn't do my job" like they don't understand that I cant understand over the phone without me reading lips!
Decent Company/OK Management
Stihl Power Equipment/Gun Barn Sales (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHMay 22, 2016
Ordering done through Rural King is a mess if you have to work there. They move many departments to the hands of another within a last second notice and inventory can become a mess leaving you without the proper sales items and unhappy customers.
Helps pay the bills
Cashier/Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMay 22, 2016
Constant changes in store layouts and in co-workers. Free popcorn and coffee everyday is an added plus. Gets pretty busy on Fridays and Saturdays. You end up working most weekends. Christmas time is pretty busy as well.
Pros
Free lunch once a month
good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHMay 19, 2016
good management. advancement is tough. work with you on schedule. good place to work if you are fam type of person. learn something new everyday.
Excellent company to work for
Floor Supervisor, Receiving & Freight Manager, CSM (Current Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLMay 19, 2016
Love working for this company. Great company, product that the offer to the customers. Great service from the employers.
No future
Tool worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHMay 18, 2016
This place stinks i regret working here. The company only cares about them selfs and no one else and they cut your hours when you work hard.
Pros
Working fulltime
Cons
Cut you to no hours
Productive,fast paced work, wonderful management
Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, ILMay 13, 2016
Seasonal work, to fit necessity through the holiday. As Part time Cashier, I had the privilege to provide excellent customer service during a very busy holiday season.
Pros
flexible schedual
Cons
The portable radios some were not proficient.
Good
Sales Associate/Head Loader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYMay 2, 2016
The management was not the best at times due to stress, but the ceo was great. Helped people out and actually worked and he did not just yell out orders

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4