Rural King

Rural King Employer Reviews

Okay for a first job
cashier/customer service (Current Employee), indianaMarch 11, 2015
A very fast paced job, and there is no such thing as a "slow" day.

I learned how to run a point of sale system.

The management is not always professional, but for the most part they're good.
Poorly Managed
Customer service (Former Employee), PlanoMarch 10, 2015
Job responsibilities were managing the front end of the store and customer service. Opened a new store, so the environment was faced paced.

However, it was poorly managed and under staffed.
Good part-time job
cashier (Current Employee), Madisonville, KYFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: easy to move up in the company.
Cons: hard work for little pay. high turnover.
A good place to work for a first time retail job for younger people. You can make new friends easily. A typical day is hectic and tiring. The management needs to be kinder and more understanding.
it was fun n different place n area.
Cashier (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYFebruary 11, 2015
my coworkers trained me alot of new stuff of how to help the patients there.
I learned alot about my coworkers and patients.
,u boss was awesome n funny.
i helped my patients with everything that they needed help with.
You will build friendships and learn more about the company
Department Manager (Former Employee), Shelbyville, KYFebruary 11, 2015
Your basic typical day of work like working in any other retail store is doing assignments assigned by your supervisor. Its important to know about any new products in the store and discounts.
productive workplace
Part-Time Employee (Former Employee), Mount Carmel, ILFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: it helped hoan my skills in dealing with the public
Cons: lazy co-workers
A typical day at Rural King had a lot to do with customer service. Whether it be loading feed in their vehicle for them or showing them where a certain product was in the store. My co-workers could be difficult to work with at times, but it was really no big deal because you could get through the day with little to no direct contact, and still complete all of your expected tasks. Dealing with customers was my favorite part of that job because with my agricultural background, I could not only show them where things in the store were at, but I also had knowledge of a lot of the products we sold (it being a rural farm store).
productive, fast paced!
Clothing processor (Former Employee), decatur,inFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: working by myself
Cons: no praise in the work environment
what I did on a typical day was put security devices on clothing, boots, and high end tools. I learned a lot at rural king considering it was my first retail job and I learned mostly everything on my own with little training. well management never stayed around so I had a lot of different changes in management and only few really knew their jobs. my co workers were like family and we all bonded well and not one person ever felt unaccepted. the hardest part of my job was working in the awful temps. the most enjoyable part of my job was actually the elderly that worked along side with me and they sure did teach me a lot.
Retail at its finest
o Department manager (Current Employee), Bloomington INJanuary 26, 2015
I have worked in Retail for 7 years now and I have found that this company is the same as every other company. I have found that even though most companies that say they promote within that is rarely the case. It is next to impossible to do in a store such as the current one that I am employed at.
get to work with planes
Farm,Department Head and Emergency Key Holder (Current Employee), Murphysboro, 62966January 20, 2015
Pros: lots of down time, coffee breaks
Cons: not well compesated
load and unload planes, wave them in to terminal, push them out to depart. de-ice in icy or snow conditions. lots of down time between planes.
Productive work place
Customer Service Manager & Head Cashier (Current Employee), Coshocton, OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: i get to make people smile & laugh everyday.
Cons: way to much stress at the service desk
I work at the service desk as a customer service manager. I do returns, answer the phone, wait on customers, & keep the popcorn machine going all day. It is sometimes very stressful & a lot of multitasking at the service desk. Plus doing extra projects that department managers need for you to do & management needs done to. I am ready for a more slow pace job. I do enjoy my job. Some of my cashiers are just lazy & don't want to do their job. The company will not pay us any overtime. I feel like the management does not respect us up front at all. Everything that I do in a day I don't even get a thank you. I have not missed a day of work & I have never been late to work & I have gotten nothing.
Clerk (Former Employee), Saint Clairsville, OHJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: even hours
Cons: standing for long periods of time
Cashing people out.
discounts and percentage
management is good
other co workers are helpful
working discount and percentage
easy to do
very productive, but bad management
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lake Wales, FLDecember 1, 2014
At Rural King, there was always something to be done. Most the day was re-organizing shelves and providing the needs of customers. Some days, all departments needed to receive their inventory. The days I have been with Rural King, I have learned the ways of retail. Working with customers have been truly a fun-filled experience. Interacting with my co- workers and customers have influenced me tremendously in my life. The hardest part of this job was the dis-organization in the management department. What I enjoyed most was to help the customers in what they needed. I loved the social interaction with country folks.
People are great!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Frankfort, INNovember 19, 2014
Pros: hour lunch
Cons: constantly moving schedule
A great place for learning and advancement. It's a rapidly growing company with lot's of opportunities of relocation. Pay is not excellent, but, you do get bonuses on a monthly bases.
Rural King
Inventory Clerk/ Fork Lift Driver/ Stocking (Former Employee), Decatur, IllinoisNovember 18, 2014
This is an environment that in my opinion you will do much more work then the pay you will receive entry level. You can learn some great skills such as fork lift driving, inventory management, and department management. I would recommend this job for young adults looking to gain entry level employment and some good trade skills.
Retail with very tough work conditions
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee), Wentzville, MONovember 11, 2014
Selling firearms,learned all aspects of firearms sales,my coworkers are easy to work with,management short staffs store which adds to already stressful job,meeting customers needs.
Horrible
Seasonal Help (Former Employee), Spring Hill, FLNovember 11, 2014
Horrible management & customer service !
Good company, but the people they hire should know more about the store !
store family
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Peru, ILNovember 10, 2014
Pros: open for ideas
Toured with store man,. met with associates and talked about what needed to be done for the shift assigned tasks and talked about other isuies concerning the store,and went over sales and individual departments. once we brake up from our meeting check e mail for any direction and start going around checking progree on tasks and help out as I can,visiting with each associate.
Bad Management
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Lake Wales, FLNovember 6, 2014
Pros: its a job
Cons: worst managment
Regular retail work, most management were either fired or demoted, ok coworkers, hardest part was trying to finish a job because many mangers told you how to do one job 20 different ways, most enjoyable part was interacting with customers.
Horrible place to work. Wants you to devote all your time to them.
Network Administrator (Former Employee), Mattoon, ILNovember 5, 2014
Pros: none.
Cons: long hours, wage theft, no family time, stores open on thanksgiving
I worked as a Network Administrator in the "IT" department. The "IT" management knows nothing about how networks work and thinks the "IT" staff should work around the clock and not have time with their families.
While there, I along with the rest of the IT staff were purposely mis-classified as Salary "Exempt" so we would work well over 50 hours a week for one flat pay rate, take home a laptop and "pager phone", where 70+ stores have that one pager number to call after hours and not be paid for taking calls during off time. It was brought to the attention of the corporate management that IT support staff didn't meet the criteria the salary-exempt, and Rural King hired a hot-shot law firm that came in and conducted an audit, and those lawyers confirmed that Rural King was mis-classifying several employees as salary-exempt. Mostly those that need to work long hours.
The Department of Labor also did an audit and ruled in favor of the employees being chiseled out of overtime and back overtime pay shall be compensated. Rural King is trying to wiggle out of paying the back pay.
I don't recommend working here.
Do not apply unless you're a work horse and don't mind getting small pay and no breaks!
Sales (Former Employee), Jeffersonville, INOctober 25, 2014
Pros: absolutely no pros to this job
Cons: almost no breaks, dehydration, little pay, too much work, will be the only person in your department all day
This place is so under staffed that they'll have you doing 3+ people's work, which gives you no time to do anything or get anything done. At the end of the day, you get comments for not doing your work despite all the work you actually did. You have no access to anything to drink unless you go to the bathroom, and they don't even want you doing that. Avoid if you have a small bladder! You get "one" 10 min break in the span of 5 hours, which is honestly not even worth it.

While the staff is nice to your face, you constantly hear them talking behind each other's backs. They're constantly asking you to cover other departments because they virtually have no one working there. So if you work in pet food, you have to also take care of the human food department and the clothing department. For 8$ an hour, it's not worth even doing your OWN department.

Even though they have janitors, they make you do all the cleaning. You're constantly expected to sweep every inch of your department every hour and do random spot sweeps in between. When you're the only person in your department, this makes it difficult to keep on top of your work and take care of customers.

They'll tell you they're not hiring full time, but when there is literally no one working there, how do they not have room for full time workers? They're quick to tell you they've fired over 50 people that year alone during your interview too. [Stealing, being too lazy, not calling in, etc] So run for the doors. Even if you are desperate for a job, do NOT work here. You'll be over worked and dehydrated in less than a week of working here.

1 2 3 4 5