Rural King Employee Reviews

fun farming atmosphere
cashier, loader, forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OhioNovember 28, 2016
Great place to work but scheduling and managers do not communicate.
I started as cashier then moved to loader, I also did a little forklift work.
Pros
discounts and benefits
Cons
low hours and poor managment
Enjoyable company with excellent ownership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHNovember 24, 2016
A normal day at work was what each individual made it, either productive or not.
I was the overseer of the entire store from payroll to inventory and was required to view it daily. Was required to keep budget requirements in line.
I was required to conduct meetings and plan the day for the accomplishment of assigned tasks daily.
I toured the store daily to plan areas that needed attention and accomplishments to make sure of excellent customer service.
Pros
Above average freedom on merchandising
Cons
Freight flow
bare minimum
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  matoon, ILNovember 11, 2016
low wages both hourly (minimum wage) and management (less than Wal-Mart or Target ASM. great for what they want, Less is more. great for experience but not a long term career.
Management is horrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  HallsNovember 9, 2016
Great people to work with except for management they think you are there to talk to you like you are worth nothing. They don't know how to treat a employee with respect the pay is low and same position has variety of low pay. They just look at you and try to see what is the lowest you will accept.
Pros
Regular employees are awesom
Cons
Management are unfair and Jerks
Fast Pace workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVNovember 4, 2016
Coworkers are a great crew. Very fast paced, especially with the holiday season upon us. As with any place there are pros and cons. But overall, it isn't bad.
Great high school job. And great for people with an already busy schedule.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Tiffin, OHNovember 1, 2016
Lack of sufficient management. Had very flexible hours, great high school job. Working at rural king has taught me how to handle money and gave me a lot of experience in customer service. Opportunity to be a department mananger after awhile of working. Rural king offers a chance to meet great people and enjoy yourself while on the job.
Pros
Flexiable hours.
Cons
Poor management.
not so much
Department Manager and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Collinsville, ILOctober 27, 2016
they do not care for sindel mother they dont really care about the ppl who work for the store is dirty and hott office manger gors tho ppl record it is just a bad place to wotk for
Ups and downs like any job
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAOctober 27, 2016
Been with the company for a year and a half and still enjoy it for the most part. If you can't handle weeks of stress followed by weeks that are so slow you could die, don't apply to be a Receiving Manager with Rural King.
Training is based only on the knowledge of the receiving manager at the store you go to train. If you get a dud that doesn't know what they're doing, you're doomed. It's a challenging position as all operations basically fall on your shoulders, without the salaried position or title.
However, the influence of former Walmart management in RK corporate office has the potential to ruin this environment. Seems more and more checklists, programs and scorecards ala walmart are popping up week by week. I hope it doesn't go in that direction.
If you do not have a strong retail operations backround, you will absolutely fail at this job and cause high shrink for your store.
I know this isn't a typical review, getting right to the point. No need to talk about management and human error and interaction that I've experienced because it will obviously differ in your store. I think best to let you know what you're in for.
Pros
Decent wage, no weekends or nights. Free turkey for Thanksgiving!
Cons
10 min breaks, logistics truck scheduling, poor internet order shipping system that will frustrate you every day!
Department manager
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 19, 2016
Management is horrible. Working with customer is the bonus for the day. Getting time off is impossible. No over time and horribly inconsistent schedules
Pros
I have a job
Cons
Attitude of management
Do not work here!
Splitter stacker (Former Employee) –  Waverly OhioOctober 15, 2016
Treatment of employees is terrible. Management riding around in golf carts well the employees work like dogs. No wage increases por benefit package. Definitely glad I left that place.
Pros
I left
Cons
Management is terrible especially that general manager
Good Place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Monticello, INOctober 6, 2016
Other than the over flow of freight and lack of employees to work this is a great place to work. This is a great place to work Just need to have more hours available to have better customer service.
great for a part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 16, 2016
if you have never worked retail this place would be a place to try. easy work, basically stock shelves and helped out customers. not a lot of full time work there but part time there is a lot. you get to learn about different things there
Terrible organization.
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLSeptember 13, 2016
Management constantly hiring new employees to cut hours. Failure to teach employees proper procedure, so you're pretty much set to fail. Your position constantly shifts. You could be a cashier sent outside to load cars or stock shelves rather than man the register.
Pros
Discount for you and family
Cons
Hours, Management Neglect, Staff Changes Constantly
Great place to work if........
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Decatur, INSeptember 7, 2016
Rural King is a great place to work, enjoyable "for the most part", clean work environment, but treated like dirt from 1 manager multiple times sucks for us all... I enjoy my job, I am very customer service oriented, but I also believe that lazy employees are more recognized than the under paid hard working employees. A bad manager can turn a great place in to a miserable, horrible place very quickly. I have been employeed here for about 7 months and I am already burnt out!!!!! Not 1 raise the whole time I have been here, the so called assistant manager t o m treats employees like dirt right in front of customers, very grumpy, and acts as if he is all that. "better than the rest"

I have started looking for a different job, contacted the BBB and called the corporate office with the multiple issues ive had over the last 6.5 months!!!!
Pros
Understanding customers
Cons
not enough employees, cut hours, and grumpy Tom
Management is horrible
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OHSeptember 3, 2016
This would not be a bad job at all if management would stay off of the employees backs. There is a lot of harassment going on in the workplace. It's amazing that a big company like this would hire such arrogant people to run their warehouse. A couple rotten apples does ruin the bunch.
Pros
Good coworkers, decent pay
Cons
Working for this company broaden my horizons
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INAugust 24, 2016
This company is a great company to work for. The reason is because they treat their employees with respect and also treat the customers with respect.
Managers aren't that professional
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILAugust 23, 2016
The store manager is very rude to the employees that work hard. She's somewhat nice to the ones that don't. She will treat you like a dog in front of costumers, very unprofessional. They take advantage of your hard work. There are 3 out of 4 assistant managers that are very nice. The department managers don't run freight. The stockers keep to them selves if something is misplaced it's always the stockers fault even if it really had nothing to do with them.
Pros
15% Discount, Hour lunches
Cons
Store manager. (Melissa)
Price changer (Current Employee) –  ChampaingAugust 22, 2016
Im a hard worker i can do what need to get done in a little time i do a lot in the store i change prices, cashier, stock shelf's ,love our customer's an employees i also come in early every Monday to clean our popcorn maker i would be a good help to my next employer.
Pros
You can buy shares in the company
Cons
Short breaks and you get pointsit take a year for one to fall off
The work place is not organized with the employees
Loader/Unloader Sthil Salesman (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHAugust 17, 2016
The Co workers are very nice Management was not bad some Managers worse than others.The most enjoyable part of my job would have assembling the products such as Chainsaws, Weed-eaters, Leaf-blowers. The hardest part of the job was practically just lifting the horse mats and placing them into a vehicle
Pros
Got to handle new equipment
Cons
Pay was not Regular it seemed like they payed when ever they felt like it.
Terrible work setting
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHAugust 13, 2016
I worked here as a assistant manager even took a. Pay cut to go and only to find out I was the 5 assistant manager in 5 mths the manager is like a dictator no one does anything correctly to here her put it . I started while she was in a 10 day vacation so the first few days were cool but she came back and I only lasted 2 I could not handle the way she treated the hard working people there . in would never have left if she didn't work here

2.4