Rural King Employee Reviews in United States

Good
Sales Associate/Head Loader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYMay 2, 2016
The management was not the best at times due to stress, but the ceo was great. Helped people out and actually worked and he did not just yell out orders
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILMay 2, 2016
I like working here within the IT department. Hours are good and they are able to work around my schedule. Good growing company and having the ability to purchase company shares at a private company is a great benefit.
Pros
Good work hours
Productive and fun workplace
HEAD CASHIER RURAL KING (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOApril 20, 2016
A typical day at work is a constant steady pace of customers. There is always something that can be done. I have learned a lot of communication skills through the company as well as leadership skills. The management of this company is awesome. The co-workers are good, really enjoyed the fact that I could get along with everyone with no problem. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who don't cooperate, but you learn how to handle it in the best way possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work in a fun environment with people who want to see you better yourself.
Married to the job.
Traveling Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INApril 20, 2016
Very high stress due to corporate change in management. I enjoyed working with the public. The hardest part was filling in for other workers who quit or were fired. I never knew when the shift would end. I usually spent 15 hrs/day on the job. Pay raises were very slow in coming and I never knew when I'd be able to have a day off.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Never able to fully leave the job site.
Overall great place to work
Sporting Goods Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 7, 2016
I have been working for this company for about 5 years now. It can be stressful at times, but my co-workers help ease the stress. They are fun to work with, and most of them might as well be considered family. We help each other out a lot, especially when deadlines are set.

We have a lot of frequent customers in which everyone knows by name. I think it's great customer comes in after being in the previous week, and I can carry on a casual conversation with them about how their products are working for them and if they are satisfied.

Working for this company has helped me open up more, and has helped me in my people skills,
Nonono
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  SomewhereMarch 30, 2016
Horribly managed, and junk equipment unless you are working in Illinois. They only look out for the Illinois dc and everybody else is just a branch or a limb. This company needs to take a step back and look at who is doing their job and who actually is saving money because it is not the Illinois dc
A "better than nothing" job with no future.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLMarch 25, 2016
Rural King wants blood, sweat and tears for peanuts in salary.
I've had a .36 cent (YES!, .36 CENT!) raise in the last 2 years! The owners and the other corporate big-shots fly around in helicopters, while I can hardly afford to put gas in my truck. There is no such thing as a set-schedule at Rural King, so it is impossible to have a second job to try and earn enough money to live-on. They expect your body and soul 7 days a week, even though you will likely only be scheduled 25 hours at minimum wage.
Rural King has a "no-fault" absence policy. This means THERE IS NO GOOD excuse for being late or missing work! A doctors note will not even excuse you for being sick (and there are NO sick days either!). Each missed day is a point, each time you're late (even ONE MINUTE) it's 1/2 a point, 7 points and you are terminated, no discussion. My store has the worst culture of backstabbing and two-facing. Certain employees gain favor with upper management by tattling on other associates to the boss, who of course, encourages this behavior.
The customers are a horrid mix of ignorant rednecks, ghetto trash and doddering retirees. They stumble through the store and complain about every penny spent, trying to chisel the employees down on prices (like they think it's a flea market) but yet, they expect Tiffany level service and butt-kissing so they can feel like "king-for-the-day"! They complain about ANYTHING in hopes of getting a free gift card from management and some will even LIE and totally make-up stories that they can submit over the internet- and management almost always sides
  more... with the customers and employees have no defense and get written-up or threatened with firing.
The stores are dirty, cold in the winter, hot and nasty in the summer and you have to listen to country music- even though your I.Q. may be above 25. You are only allowed a 10 minute break- 5 minutes to use the restroom 2 minutes to walk up front to buy a soda, 3 minutes to stand in line to pay for it and your break is over, you never even got to sit down during your "break". The turnover rate is unbelievable, like 60-70% within 6 months and the owners and managers ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES! We are just replaceable/disposable parts in their money-making machine.
If you have an enemy, encourage them to get a job a Rural King.
Pros
It's better than nothing- but just barely.
Cons
See above.
Poor management, Favoritism and immature behavior from superiors
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Stocking (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHMarch 21, 2016
Before being employed at Rural King I had a friend that worked their tell me that they had open positions and so I filled an application out and when I called to check in on it two days later I was told by an assistant manager that NO positions were available, so I go into Rural King the following day to speak to my friend and the general manger about it and it turns out that the same assistant manager that told they were not hiring had marked my two day application as an old application so I couldn't be hired from that one... After finding this out the GM had me fill out another application and she took it personally this time and I was hired within the week. After being hired I worked in the gun department and was trained well by the department manager, but while working their assistant managers contradicted themselves constantly with what my job consisted of and would try to have me pick up other associates slack rather than reprimand them on the poor work quality they were putting forth. Managers would also bad rap other associates but then be friendly to there faces which reminded me of grade school all over again. I would say the customers I had made the work experience enjoyable but other than that I would not work there, I would have multiple customers tell my General manger compliments about me based on my work ethic and knowledge of firearms to which she would retort " Im going to take care of these guys, Im going to give them a bonus of some sort" but to no avail... She was simply doing this to please the customer's. Instead she fired me just before our employee reviews  more... which would determine a raise or not and she fired me for using my employee discount for people in my household other than myself which I know of other senior employees doing before I worked there, who were still there... Favoritism, lies and immaturity is what you can expect from Rural King's Xenia location.  less
Pros
Friendly customers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor Management
Need of better enviroment and equipment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INMarch 21, 2016
After being an associate of a month, had to pull pallets out onto to the sales floor, with broken pallet jack, and a double pallet. Ended up hurting my right shoulder pretty bad, and the management team could have cared less.
Fun environment great people and customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, OHMarch 17, 2016
Customers who shop here are very understanding and friendly. Jobs are easy to do and not boring. It's a retail store so expect a retail job.
Pros
Easy job, short shifts
Poor management
cashier (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLMarch 5, 2016
Terrible management employee relations. No direction for employees and employees are expected to do everything for minimum wage. No pay increase structure at all. Overall a company that disrespects it's employees and doesn't care
Straight forward and honest place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INMarch 1, 2016
Rural King was a great position. The management is straight forward and honest. They try to keep you busy while you are on the clock. Co-workers work together to get the job done.
Good "first job" for someone
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHFebruary 16, 2016
This was my first year-round job that I've had. All in all, it has been a good experience when it comes to working with others and customer service. I absolutely love the people I work with. The recent loss of some good workers to other jobs and such has made things more difficult, and the change in management is somewhat hard to adapt to, but it will get easier. The hardest part of the job is the angry customer who thinks everything you say is automatically wrong. The most enjoyable part of the job is the regular customers who know you by name who seem so excited when they walk through the door and see that they get to chat with you.
Fine at first
Gun Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHFebruary 15, 2016
It started out fine, but after almost a year, people who have been there a month have more authority than I do. The store manager is very disconnected from the rest of the store and ignores employees when they want a moment to speak with him.
very producive comany
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 1, 2016
we would go in every morning at 7am and either unload containers or split product out to their stores until the day ended at 330pm
Horrible
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHJanuary 28, 2016
management has their inner circle of co workers, as they all seem to know each other from other places if you werent in that circle, you were expected to work harder, and for 8.10 an hour barely getting 20 hours a week, yet you were expected to do the work of a 40 hour shift, or more work then other employees who had been there all day, yet you had a 4 hour shift... all the heavy lifting without receiving help when asking......management would only help certain people, they would stock certain departments while we drowned in others, you think management would in courage you to move up in the company, however one manager here mentioned i worked too hard and should apply to work as a manager at speedway, that was hurtful so i moved on to another job where I would be appreciated for my hard work, not told i should work for another company, would have loved to been promoted for my hard work, yet i wasnt in the circle of outsiders..... so much for employee of the month, it was given to two people when the store opened and then months went by and no one was recognized for their hard work, no wonder so many good employees left shortly after opening this store, schedules were never posted early, there were several time employees would have to call in just to see if they worked that day or the next, poor poor management
Pros
Cons
low pay, low hours
talking with people
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ILJanuary 22, 2016
I think what I have mainly learned working here is to slow down and talk with the customers and relate to them. We were never required to do this at Walmart.
Horrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHJanuary 13, 2016
I use to work there. It is a bad place to work. Management doesn't do their job properly. I was told once I received full time that I would get a full weekend off a month and only had to close one night a week. I was told when I started that they would work around my schedule. Also they hate when you have a second job. they want this job to be priority. the last four months I was there it had got to the point where I was closing two and three nights a week and I hadn't had a weekend off in 4 months and they stopped working around my schedule. there is a lot of favoritism. Management does not back up what they say. There is a lot of drama. When I started they basically didn't tell me anything. So I had to learn as I went, which sometimes got me in trouble due to I didn't know what to do and learned on my own. They couldn't keep help because employees were tired of so much. They change so much all the time too so it seems we as an employee don't know whats going on anymore.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
Disrespectful Managers
Head Loader (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJanuary 11, 2016
The staff did not stay long because the managers would get angry at them and chew them out on the walkie talkie so customers could hear. When customer had issues, managers would take their sweet time to deal with their customer. Managers did not always speak to each other in professional manners on the walkie talkie and customer could hear it.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
Poor Management
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bedford, INJanuary 1, 2016
Work with customers either on cashing out or returning items, answer the phone and redirect calls. In charge of the cashiers and helping them if hey come across with a problem either with register or customer, clean the popcorn machine, count money.
Pros
promotions
Cons
short break