Rural King Employee Reviews

love working witrh the gun dept got to know some customer
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMarch 20, 2017
Rural King was a place I went to get away from hotel work. I had to work every weekend and holiday. I worked myself up to floor manager and I worked many departments. I am full time now and they make me work Sundays., they told me I had to work 2 a month . new managers came in and changed things. now the threating me to go back to part time if I have Sundays off. I do work every Friday and Saturday which is part of the weekend. I need Sundays off because my husband and I do a Sunday school bus route.
Pros
health insurace employee discount
Cons
having to work sundays
Pass on this job if you have a brain
Conveyor operator/cashier (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, IL/DCMarch 18, 2017
Started as a cashier..only got 20 hr/weeks...management was hateful to most employees unless you were their buddy..transferred to the warehouse for more hrs and a cpl dollars more..it was way worse..supervisors sleeping with employees awful work conditions...huge turnover..slave labor for peanut wages..I stayed for a yr too long...unless you were their drinking buddy you got treated like a dog..I seriously wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy..sad thing is I really don't think the owners know half the stuff that goes on in the stores
Cons
Unless you're really hurting, save yourself the headache
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 4, 2017
I started working here last year and for the most part it's been pretty easy going. The assistant managers are solid but the store manager is unreliable... which is bad because he runs the show. There are a lot of unnecessary headaches I've had to deal with because of what the store manager did or didn't do. Unless you really need a job, I'd try else where. The turnover rate is very high if that tells you anything.
Pros
Assistant managers
Cons
Poor environment, give a lot, receive little
could be a good place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PAJanuary 23, 2017
Managers competing with each other- you are in the middle of their personal battles. Too much drama.
Pulled from one job to another accomplished nothing yet was expected to do more in a shift than humanly possible. Job positions in this company means nothing unless you are management. management tactics were less then desireable. Was asked to forfeit time due to their OT rules. (NO OT)
Waste of time meetings.
fund myself with others work to do
Would have been a good place to work if I could do my own work
loss prevention is a joke due to their please the customer policy
Pros
employee discount
Cons
drama, poor management
Not a good work place
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  West City, ILMarch 4, 2017
Employee's like to talk bad about each other. Management not very great. You have to be best buddies with the manager's to get a promotion. If you are looking to get more than 30 hours don't work here you might get 15-20 if your lucky. Customer service is horrible they dont care about the customers all the care about is getting paid, And the customers will agree. Also you get ONE 10 minute break.
Cons
Not a place I really enjoyed working
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INDecember 17, 2016
A typical day, would be me stocking shelves or cleaning.

I learned that I don't want to stock shelves for a living.

Management was rough. They wouldn't let me take initiative and do things without their go ahead. But I did what they told me too.

Co-workers were out for themselves mostly. I did what I could to stay on good terms with them, but they weren't too friendly.

Hardest part of the job was probably having to deal with being micro managed by management.

The best part of the job was probably when customers would stop and ask me questions.
Rural King, Lake Wales
Lawn and Garden Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLFebruary 14, 2017
Training needed work, and management didn't seem to understand what they were doing, I feel that they were just trying to open too many stores at once. They had to push back grand opening and they hired too many people, which in turn they had to let go many people, some of who left jobs to have an opportunity there.
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Trainings
fun
Backup cashier up front, and for customer service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ILMarch 13, 2017
I enjoyed most being able to walk around and help/ talk to customers one on one and help them find what they were looking for. I learned a lot about the store and stock. It was the only job that I was given the chance to learn register and work around the store.
Pros
ability to walk around
Cons
not enough people cover departments
Enjoyable company with excellent ownership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHNovember 24, 2016
A normal day at work was what each individual made it, either productive or not.
I was the overseer of the entire store from payroll to inventory and was required to view it daily. Was required to keep budget requirements in line.
I was required to conduct meetings and plan the day for the accomplishment of assigned tasks daily.
I toured the store daily to plan areas that needed attention and accomplishments to make sure of excellent customer service.
Pros
Above average freedom on merchandising
Cons
Freight flow

Comment – February 3, 2017

It must be noted that recent changes in higher management is costing the company its family type work environment and the higher management above the store has lost all care and concern for the employees.

Sad state of affairs.
employee (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INDecember 30, 2016
Over all. No I would not recommend anyone go work at the Jeffersonville Indiana store. Most employees are mentally and physically broken down by management. Unless you grew up with or went to school with or previously worked for or close friends with member's of managements family, you are no body and are treated badly.The new department managers are just thrown in the dept and not told or taught anything. They have to depend on the older employees to teach them what they are suppose to do. The health department should come in and check out the break room. The tiles in the ceiling are missing and falling out because the air conditioner leaked. Its full of black mold and smells to high heavens and has been that way for almost a year. It is a zoo and the keeps are the ones that need to be in the cages.
Pros
Two weeks vacation
Cons
management treats friends great, others like derelicts
Great high school job. And great for people with an already busy schedule.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Tiffin, OHNovember 1, 2016
Lack of sufficient management. Had very flexible hours, great high school job. Working at rural king has taught me how to handle money and gave me a lot of experience in customer service. Opportunity to be a department mananger after awhile of working. Rural king offers a chance to meet great people and enjoy yourself while on the job.
Pros
Flexiable hours.
Cons
Poor management.
it's a job.
Cashier, stocking (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVDecember 14, 2016
Scheduling is a problem, and most employees stay "upset" about not having enough help during business hours. Only "content" workers are overnight stockers.
Can't keep cashiers, and cannot schedule them right. Floor salespeople have to do their job and cashier's jobs also.
Pros
job, and some decent benefits after a while
Cons
mainly part-time only.
Management is horrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  HallsNovember 9, 2016
Great people to work with except for management they think you are there to talk to you like you are worth nothing. They don't know how to treat a employee with respect the pay is low and same position has variety of low pay. They just look at you and try to see what is the lowest you will accept.
Pros
Regular employees are awesom
Cons
Management are unfair and Jerks
most rude managers I've ever had to work with
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJanuary 3, 2017
A typical day at work was fun with most of my co-workers but not when the managers would stand up there and criticize our every move. The managers were so rude and had favorites they didn't care about health problems or school.
Pros
free popcorn
Cons
managers
Rapidly Growing Company
Assistant Store Manager (Co) (Former Employee) –  Angola, INFebruary 17, 2017
Excellent company for those interested in a merchandising culture. Stores are older, and not in the best condition, but they work for the product that is being sold. I left for Gander Mountain for the opportunity to transfer down south.
if you like to be over worked and under paid here you go
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INJanuary 22, 2017
Not a bad place to be in the beginning
management has gone down hill
do not care about employees
insurance isnt worth it
expected to do the work of 3 with minimal help if any
Pros
set schedule
Cons
over worked under paid
Hard to balance in a leadership role
Management (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 8, 2016
Rural King is an excellent place to work. There are some issues with workload being too heavy, expectations being unrealistic. Compensation in a leadership role is adequate. Company should focus more on training.
Pros
Hour lunch, stock options
Cons
45 - 50 hour work week
GARDEN CENTER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHDecember 24, 2016
Very friendly and fun place to work. The managers are great. Alot of heavy lifting, but relatively easy work. I loved dealing with customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Great place to work very flexible and willing to help employees
Cons
Not enough hours
alot of walking
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 13, 2017
loading mulch in to customer cars,trucks,and trailer picking up stuff to carry out to customer cars walking around helping customer with heavy eitem and make sure clean and safe
Pros
discount on pruduct
Cons
no health care
Productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYDecember 12, 2016
Fun place to work at very good management and Co workers very fast pace good benefits easy to pick up on how to do the work as a cashier friendly work place Co workers always help you when you need help
Pros
Discount on stufd there
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9