Rural King Employee Reviews

great for a part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 16, 2016
if you have never worked retail this place would be a place to try. easy work, basically stock shelves and helped out customers. not a lot of full time work there but part time there is a lot. you get to learn about different things there
Terrible organization.
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLSeptember 13, 2016
Management constantly hiring new employees to cut hours. Failure to teach employees proper procedure, so you're pretty much set to fail. Your position constantly shifts. You could be a cashier sent outside to load cars or stock shelves rather than man the register.
Pros
Discount for you and family
Cons
Hours, Management Neglect, Staff Changes Constantly
Great place to work if........
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Decatur, INSeptember 7, 2016
Rural King is a great place to work, enjoyable "for the most part", clean work environment, but treated like dirt from 1 manager multiple times sucks for us all... I enjoy my job, I am very customer service oriented, but I also believe that lazy employees are more recognized than the under paid hard working employees. A bad manager can turn a great place in to a miserable, horrible place very quickly. I have been employeed here for about 7 months and I am already burnt out!!!!! Not 1 raise the whole time I have been here, the so called assistant manager t o m treats employees like dirt right in front of customers, very grumpy, and acts as if he is all that. "better than the rest"

I have started looking for a different job, contacted the BBB and called the corporate office with the multiple issues ive had over the last 6.5 months!!!!
Pros
Understanding customers
Cons
not enough employees, cut hours, and grumpy Tom
Management is horrible
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OHSeptember 3, 2016
This would not be a bad job at all if management would stay off of the employees backs. There is a lot of harassment going on in the workplace. It's amazing that a big company like this would hire such arrogant people to run their warehouse. A couple rotten apples does ruin the bunch.
Pros
Good coworkers, decent pay
Cons
Working for this company broaden my horizons
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INAugust 24, 2016
This company is a great company to work for. The reason is because they treat their employees with respect and also treat the customers with respect.
Managers aren't that professional
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILAugust 23, 2016
The store manager is very rude to the employees that work hard. She's somewhat nice to the ones that don't. She will treat you like a dog in front of costumers, very unprofessional. They take advantage of your hard work. There are 3 out of 4 assistant managers that are very nice. The department managers don't run freight. The stockers keep to them selves if something is misplaced it's always the stockers fault even if it really had nothing to do with them.
Pros
15% Discount, Hour lunches
Cons
Store manager. (Melissa)
Price changer (Current Employee) –  ChampaingAugust 22, 2016
Im a hard worker i can do what need to get done in a little time i do a lot in the store i change prices, cashier, stock shelf's ,love our customer's an employees i also come in early every Monday to clean our popcorn maker i would be a good help to my next employer.
Pros
You can buy shares in the company
Cons
Short breaks and you get pointsit take a year for one to fall off
The work place is not organized with the employees
Loader/Unloader Sthil Salesman (Former Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHAugust 17, 2016
The Co workers are very nice Management was not bad some Managers worse than others.The most enjoyable part of my job would have assembling the products such as Chainsaws, Weed-eaters, Leaf-blowers. The hardest part of the job was practically just lifting the horse mats and placing them into a vehicle
Pros
Got to handle new equipment
Cons
Pay was not Regular it seemed like they payed when ever they felt like it.
Terrible work setting
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHAugust 13, 2016
I worked here as a assistant manager even took a. Pay cut to go and only to find out I was the 5 assistant manager in 5 mths the manager is like a dictator no one does anything correctly to here her put it . I started while she was in a 10 day vacation so the first few days were cool but she came back and I only lasted 2 I could not handle the way she treated the hard working people there . in would never have left if she didn't work here
Read before you apply
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHAugust 10, 2016
I worked for this company for 4 months and left. The store is a complete mess, management (store manager) is as unprofessional as they come. Turnover rate is HIGH, forced to work 50+ hours as an assistant manager. I do not recommend this place to anybody, if your looking to spend 100% of your time at work then this is for you. Pay is little to nothing. I made several request and hints to a pay raise and they went unnoticed. As an assistant manager you are really just a glorified stock associate with keys. Never get to see your family with the hours they make you work. Store Manager can prevent this but refuses to make a decent work schedule...Avoid this company and store at all cost.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Good place to work for.
Loader/Unloader (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNAugust 9, 2016
Has a nice atmosphere.My coworkers are like family.Nice managers.great product at great prices the enjoyable part of the day is interacting with the customers
Pros
Great staff
Sweatshop, low pay, management doesn't care
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJuly 23, 2016
Don't work here unless you have no other option. Major disconnect between store employees, corporate employees & management. They run a low paying sweatshop. You're not told you could be out anywhere regardless of what job description is. Management does not back up their employees. Managers have said so what if we lose a few thousand in sales & customers are unhappy, we make millions, always another customer to replace them. Very low pay and high production expectation. Mostly young inexperienced management who need a few more years of experience before they got in the position they're in. Poor decision making. Maybe if the owner knew the people he delegates to have this attitude he'd change things. But, it seems to be all about the money.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks, hot miserable environment, management does not care about employees or customers
A lot of hours for a little pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJuly 19, 2016
By the time I left, I was working about 70 to 80 hours per week. I was only bringing home about 30,000 dollars. When calculated, that equates to about minimum wage. The managers there are overworked and most definitely underappreciated. The environment and the customers were the only redeeming quality of the job.
Pros
15% Store Discount
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
Its different
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Waverly, OHJuly 17, 2016
Rarely ever do you get 40 hrs. The general manager is an idiot womanizer who will only promote people out of rehab. There are no benefits and yearly you get up to 25 cents per hr raise.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
General manager
Ok work place
Loader (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 14, 2016
Employees are easy to work with and get along with.
The hardest part of the job was how slow work got becase of the number of employees working at once.
Beware this place
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJuly 14, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE

Hired on as a department manager, which just means Fulltime, you manage no one or thing. I was promoted in two weeks to Receiving manager, trained for two days at another store and thrown to the wolves. Upper management is lazy and prefers to delegate rather than work. A lot of upper management members are from other retail stores where they were fired or couldn't cut it. It's a management grave yard so to speak. You will never have time to get the tasks they want you to complete done and it is constant chaos all the time from poor practices and standards.

We were shipped a truck that contained hydrocholic acid, concentrated chlorine, 19 pallets of car batteries, and fertilizer. This was a bomb on wheels, when addressed with corporate I was told I could no longer send out emails because it called to light too many problems.

The store managers are former Walmart or meijers managers that failed miserably in their former lives, and thrive in a company without many controls.

Much more can be said but I'm tired of typing
Pros
Regular associates
Cons
Everything else
It's a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLJuly 2, 2016
It's a job. Hard workers seem to get punished. Lazy workers seem to get rewarded. Some gems in management but since not everyone is on the same page there is confusion. Don't get next schedule till last day of the last schedule so it's hard to plan your life. Don't feel like there is much advancement, been givin little opportunity to do so. Benefit is that it is a job and that you get 15% discount being an employee and they sell alot of cool stuff there.
Pros
Discount. Some Nice Employees
Cons
It's retail
Not a good place to work, unless you like rude people
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 30, 2016
The management is very unorganized, and rude. your fellow employees are rude to you when you first start. They have rat poison all over the store.
Decent place to work if youre not looking for a full time job.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILJune 27, 2016
Head cashier involves making sure employees get their breaks, gives correct change to employees for their cash drawer. Making sure the front end was clean before we left for the night.
Pros
Liked my co-workers
Cons
No healthcare or vacation time
Good prices and products
Tool Dept. Manager (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJune 16, 2016
CHAOTIC. Between the store manager and the four assistant store managers pulling employees this way and that way for special assignments nothing gets done. the store itself is filthy,

2.4