Rural King

Rural King Employer Reviews

Friendly work enviorment, great managment, the regular customers are what kept me loving my job.
Cashier (Former Employee), CarbondaleJune 18, 2014
A typical work day as a cashier involved anything from being moved onto the floor if the store wasn't particularly busy, doing your normal position as a cashier, to doing stockwork. Its flexible and you can learn a lot because they don't have you just simply being a cashier. They also often have you doing stock work, which can be nice as a change of – more... pace. Management was very good, there was variety within the managers as far as personality went which made it so there was always someone that you could find to approach about any situation. I really enjoyed who I worked with, I became close friends with almost everyone who worked there. The only problem was that between some of the employees there would be a lot of "high school" type drama. – less
My favorite job
Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Martin, TNJune 18, 2014
Rural King was probably my favorite place to work. Everyday when I entered Rural King, I had a smile on my face. My managers were very kind, and they treated us more like family than people that worked for them. They were always so understanding, as long as we showed them that we were also. I got along with mostly all of my co-workers. We helped each – more... other when we needed help, and we always made the time pass by briskly. The hardest part of working at Rural King had to be leaving them. I enjoyed every day with my Rural King family. I loved being there. – less
Its a good first job for someone...
Head Cashier (Current Employee), Rural KingJune 11, 2014
Cons: they dont work with you on hours what so ever
Its a good first job for someone, not really a job for someone who is trying to provide for their family.
Poor management and no personal consideration
Cashier (Former Employee), Tiffin, ohioMay 29, 2014
I was told many different ways to do things, and got conflicting instrucions. The management does not care about anything but getting the day done and if they step on toes they don't care.
Enjoyable place to work
CASHIER/CLOTHING DEPARTMENT (Former Employee), Harrisburg, ILMay 28, 2014
Pros: staff partys
Cons: hours
A typical day at work would be helping people either with finding something or checking them out. I learn how to handle large amounts of money and how to deal with different types of people.

The management team was great always willing to help
I got along with my co-workers

Was dealing with lazy people or rude people

The most enjoyable part was meeting – more... new people everyday – less
Productive, Busy atmosphere
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee), Circleville, OHMay 18, 2014
Pros: constantly helping people, employee discount
Cons: poor management, drama
The job was fun. Always changing, always moving, always something to do.
Hourly associates know more about daily operations than management. Stressful, unprofessional drama regularly.
Please read the review - it will only benefit you if you want to work here
Department Manager (Former Employee), Effingham, ILMay 14, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management, temperature, hour lunch
First, I would like to point out that management for this company is the laziest set of management I have ever worked for. For example, if there is any kind of physical labor involved, they won't think about doing it, they try to claim if they do then it will cost somebody else a job. I believe they need to change their thoughts and help the workers – more... out. A typical day could involve pulling freight for several hours a day, even though there is a freight crew there specifically for that purpose, covering loadouts, even if you have 2 or 3 people there for that purpose, and scanning outs in your department, when you have a chance. You can expect to work with 4 or 5 managers on any typical day, which seems like a few too many to me for no bigger than the company is, but they will each give you tasks to complete in a day, plus they will walk your area to make you a list to do within a given time frame, as if you have nothing to do already. You can also have a list from anyone in the corporate level that stops in. Rather than helping the workers accomplish these lists, they management will have a "talk" with you and tell you that you are not being productive enough, yet they can talk as a group about what they have going on for the weekend. I learned that you cannot trust anyone in this company from management on up, they will tell you one thing and change the rules in a matter of hours. Most companies have a handbook and don't add much to it, these guys add to theirs everyday, and they are all stupid rules. My idea of the management crew here is they are just there for the number of hours they have to be to get a paycheck, they do not care about their people, if you bring up a problem in the building, they will tell you there is nothing they can do about it and get mad when multiple people bring up the same points. If they would listen to their people, they wouldn't have such a negative atmosphere and they might improve their business. The co-workers I had were great, they were the only reason I stayed there near as long as I did, you get to know them and they feel like a family. I would like to take the co-workers with me to my next job and leave the store with no help if I had the capability. The hardest part of the job was figuring out what management wanted out of you, if they tell you to pull freight, you have to pick certain freight or they will holler at you to come back and get a different pallet. They label pallets with names as if they are working with a bunch of children, makes you feel good to be in that type of environment. The most enjoyable part of this job for me was when I got to go to the time clock and hit "Out For The Day". I would recommend working for this company if you enjoy working with the heat on in the summer and the air on in the winter, an average day in the store where people shop in the summer is 90 degrees or above, which melts candy pretty quick. They also store the soda in a building with no heat or air, so I would not recommend buying any soda from this company. If it is 90 outside, the building it is stored in is at least 100 degrees, I wouldn't want to have a soda knowing that it came from that environment. This is also a great place to work if you enjoy having headaches on a daily basis, loss of sleep, or enjoy high levels of stress. Other than that, I would not recommend shopping at this company, much less work for them. I would definitely ask the department managers how they like working there, since they are there all the time and know how things operate inside the company. The others can tell you what its like, but they are not around as much to see what all goes on throughout a typical day. – less
Fun place to work, love the team work
Receiving (Current Employee), Muncie, INMay 2, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule, relaxed environment, employee relations
Cons: low wage
My typical day at work consists of checking in and receiving merchandise. Doing inventory control. Helping out in other departments of the store if needed. I have learned customer service skills, how to train other employees, proficient knowledge of our computer system, inventory control.
Management is stern, but makes the environment enjoyable to work – more... in.
The hardest part of my job is the physical lifting of some things that are heavy.
The most enjoyable part are the staff, the are a very caring staff that display team support in a sometimes chaotic atmosphere.
I've worked as a Head Cashier, Inventory Control Clerk, Floating Department Head, as well as Receiving. – less
good working experenice
store remodel (Former Employee), Mattoon, ILApril 25, 2014
people are very helpful the work was a good learning experience.
Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), New Philadelphia, OhioApril 14, 2014
Pros: bonus for salaried employees are okay
Cons: long hours and mandatory over night 12 week working
Company seems to use and abuse their managers. We have a high turn over of management. They do not hire from within the stores only Walmart managers are hired to be store managers with Rural King. Then they leave and leave many stores with out managers. Then they will hire another Walmart Manager instead of promoting from with in the store.
Interact with different people
Cashier (Former Employee), Jeffersonville, INApril 13, 2014
Pros: worked with you if you had issues
Cons: couldn't move up
I worked as cashier and interacted with the public. I stocked products and put products where they belonged.
Need to work for an organized company.
presentAssistant manager (Former Employee), Vincennes, INMarch 21, 2014
Pros: monthly bonuses for meeting gross profits.
Cons: bad scheduling, not keeping asistants informed of changes.
I enjoyed working for the company until I was transferred to Vincennes. The scheduling, training, hiring and customer service was disorganized. My frustration got to be too much and I decided to leave the company. I was becoming a person that I did not recognize and didn't like it. They have replaced the manager and I hope that helps them to become – more... a better organization. – less
RUN!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fremont, OHMarch 18, 2014
Pros: i loved most of the employees
Cons: favortism with the store manager and employees
A 12 hour day being a mother of a 2 year old was not fun or easy.
I learned a lot of great things until we got a new store manager.
my co workers were great to be around and work with. They made my day fun and easier!!
The hardest part of the job was dealing with new manager that just didn't understand the way things should have been done! Being a store – more... manager you are supposed to be equal with everyone and not play favorites!!!!
The management group was great AT FIRST! It alllllll changed, and it was no longer fun. I loved my job for a long time. But thankful I got away from it. The pay wasn't enough to deal with the long hours and stress. Bonuses were not near enough either.
Playing favorites gets nowhere with me. – less
For the most part everyone gets along well.
Department Manager, clothing dept./Cashier (Former Employee), Vincennes, INMarch 4, 2014
Pros: one hour lunches
Cons: not enough hours in the day
Going in at the opening of the store, making sure all signs and displays are current and accurate. Processing and getting up all available stock and ensuring customers are taking care of and satisfied. The hardest part of this job was keeping up with daily chores when there isn't enough helping hands. Satisfaction that a lot was done at the end of the – more... day was the best part of the experience of this job. – less
I loved the people I worked with. I enjoyed my job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Van Wert, OHMarch 3, 2014
Pros: easy advancement
Cons: short breaks
I loved working at this place. I had alot of friends and the customers were always so nice.
Good environment, No Communication
Cashier Supervisor (Current Employee), Owensboro, KYMarch 1, 2014
Pros: environment
Cons: pay and hours and communication
This has to be the worst job I have ever held in terms of communication between management and employees. I love the environment and the overall job itself, but the pay is terrible and the hours are minimal.
Great for advancement to other jobs
Auto Department & Farm Chemical Manager (Current Employee), Huber Heights, OHFebruary 17, 2014
Easy to climb the ladder but horrible pay and raises suck.
Will work you like a horse.
The Lazy will receive help of the others need to manage.
A day as office manager
Office Manager (Former Employee), Decatur, INFebruary 11, 2014
Being an office manager at Rural King, is never boring. There is always work to be done. My co-workers were great, always fun to work and always get stuff done. The hardest part of my job was writing employees up. The most enjoyable part of my day was when someone would come to me for help and I could help them.
Retail
Department Manager (Former Employee), Murphysboro, ILFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: i had a job
Cons: employee had no voice in any thing
A typical day of work started with a meeting, then off assignments, on most days the flow on information changed two to three times a day. Upper Management would always change the pace of things, leadership shifted about every six months, the turn over rate was high even in this are.
good
Friendly Customer Service (Former Employee), Elyria, OHFebruary 5, 2014
nice place to be management was nice and training was good.
co workers were a lot of fun to be around.
i would go back in a heart beat

1 2 3 4 5