Rural King Employee Reviews in United States

A "better than nothing" job with no future.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLMarch 25, 2016
Rural King wants blood, sweat and tears for peanuts in salary.
I've had a .36 cent (YES!, .36 CENT!) raise in the last 2 years! The owners and the other corporate big-shots fly around in helicopters, while I can hardly afford to put gas in my truck. There is no such thing as a set-schedule at Rural King, so it is impossible to have a second job to try and earn enough money to live-on. They expect your body and soul 7 days a week, even though you will likely only be scheduled 25 hours at minimum wage.
Rural King has a "no-fault" absence policy. This means THERE IS NO GOOD excuse for being late or missing work! A doctors note will not even excuse you for being sick (and there are NO sick days either!). Each missed day is a point, each time you're late (even ONE MINUTE) it's 1/2 a point, 7 points and you are terminated, no discussion. My store has the worst culture of backstabbing and two-facing. Certain employees gain favor with upper management by tattling on other associates to the boss, who of course, encourages this behavior.
The customers are a horrid mix of ignorant rednecks, ghetto trash and doddering retirees. They stumble through the store and complain about every penny spent, trying to chisel the employees down on prices (like they think it's a flea market) but yet, they expect Tiffany level service and butt-kissing so they can feel like "king-for-the-day"! They complain about ANYTHING in hopes of getting a free gift card from management and some will even LIE and totally make-up stories that they can submit over the internet- and management almost always sides
  more... with the customers and employees have no defense and get written-up or threatened with firing.
The stores are dirty, cold in the winter, hot and nasty in the summer and you have to listen to country music- even though your I.Q. may be above 25. You are only allowed a 10 minute break- 5 minutes to use the restroom 2 minutes to walk up front to buy a soda, 3 minutes to stand in line to pay for it and your break is over, you never even got to sit down during your "break". The turnover rate is unbelievable, like 60-70% within 6 months and the owners and managers ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES! We are just replaceable/disposable parts in their money-making machine.
If you have an enemy, encourage them to get a job a Rural King.
Pros
It's better than nothing- but just barely.
Cons
See above.
Poor management, Favoritism and immature behavior from superiors
Sales Associate/ Cashier/ Stocking (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHMarch 21, 2016
Before being employed at Rural King I had a friend that worked their tell me that they had open positions and so I filled an application out and when I called to check in on it two days later I was told by an assistant manager that NO positions were available, so I go into Rural King the following day to speak to my friend and the general manger about it and it turns out that the same assistant manager that told they were not hiring had marked my two day application as an old application so I couldn't be hired from that one... After finding this out the GM had me fill out another application and she took it personally this time and I was hired within the week. After being hired I worked in the gun department and was trained well by the department manager, but while working their assistant managers contradicted themselves constantly with what my job consisted of and would try to have me pick up other associates slack rather than reprimand them on the poor work quality they were putting forth. Managers would also bad rap other associates but then be friendly to there faces which reminded me of grade school all over again. I would say the customers I had made the work experience enjoyable but other than that I would not work there, I would have multiple customers tell my General manger compliments about me based on my work ethic and knowledge of firearms to which she would retort " Im going to take care of these guys, Im going to give them a bonus of some sort" but to no avail... She was simply doing this to please the customer's. Instead she fired me just before our employee reviews  more... which would determine a raise or not and she fired me for using my employee discount for people in my household other than myself which I know of other senior employees doing before I worked there, who were still there... Favoritism, lies and immaturity is what you can expect from Rural King's Xenia location.  less
Pros
Friendly customers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor Management
Mixed at Best
Loader (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHSeptember 3, 2015
While Rural King does promote from within, there is still a disconnect between the associate and the management. From the lower level point of view it seems as if there is a lack of caring for the welfare of the associates from the corporate level. I understand it is a business but a business is run by the people in the store not one man behind a desk.
Pros
Promote from within, usually a good atmosphere, weekend pay raise
Cons
poor higher management, don't ever expect to see them21
Sweatshop, low pay, management doesn't care
Associate (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILJuly 23, 2016
Don't work here unless you have no other option. Major disconnect between store employees, corporate employees & management. They run a low paying sweatshop. You're not told you could be out anywhere regardless of what job description is. Management does not back up their employees. Managers have said so what if we lose a few thousand in sales & customers are unhappy, we make millions, always another customer to replace them. Very low pay and high production expectation. Mostly young inexperienced management who need a few more years of experience before they got in the position they're in. Poor decision making. Maybe if the owner knew the people he delegates to have this attitude he'd change things. But, it seems to be all about the money.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks, hot miserable environment, management does not care about employees or customers
Good "first job" for someone
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHFebruary 16, 2016
This was my first year-round job that I've had. All in all, it has been a good experience when it comes to working with others and customer service. I absolutely love the people I work with. The recent loss of some good workers to other jobs and such has made things more difficult, and the change in management is somewhat hard to adapt to, but it will get easier. The hardest part of the job is the angry customer who thinks everything you say is automatically wrong. The most enjoyable part of the job is the regular customers who know you by name who seem so excited when they walk through the door and see that they get to chat with you.
Horrible
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHJanuary 28, 2016
management has their inner circle of co workers, as they all seem to know each other from other places if you werent in that circle, you were expected to work harder, and for 8.10 an hour barely getting 20 hours a week, yet you were expected to do the work of a 40 hour shift, or more work then other employees who had been there all day, yet you had a 4 hour shift... all the heavy lifting without receiving help when asking......management would only help certain people, they would stock certain departments while we drowned in others, you think management would in courage you to move up in the company, however one manager here mentioned i worked too hard and should apply to work as a manager at speedway, that was hurtful so i moved on to another job where I would be appreciated for my hard work, not told i should work for another company, would have loved to been promoted for my hard work, yet i wasnt in the circle of outsiders..... so much for employee of the month, it was given to two people when the store opened and then months went by and no one was recognized for their hard work, no wonder so many good employees left shortly after opening this store, schedules were never posted early, there were several time employees would have to call in just to see if they worked that day or the next, poor poor management
Pros
Cons
low pay, low hours
Corporate is a joke!
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHJune 9, 2015
From the Regional manager on up, the company is a joke!! more store manager, regional manager, and vice president changes in my 8 month span than I had with my previous employer in 7 years. The top people think that you can run every store the way they do in Southern Illinois. Not every location is going to have the same growth in the same areas. What I mean by that is, sure food, pet food, and apparel will be similar, as well as seasonal. Outside of that, different locations are going to sell the rest of the store differently.
Pros
Cons
Health Insurence stinks, Upper Management stinks, Salary is horrible with this company
Beware this place
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJuly 14, 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE

Hired on as a department manager, which just means Fulltime, you manage no one or thing. I was promoted in two weeks to Receiving manager, trained for two days at another store and thrown to the wolves. Upper management is lazy and prefers to delegate rather than work. A lot of upper management members are from other retail stores where they were fired or couldn't cut it. It's a management grave yard so to speak. You will never have time to get the tasks they want you to complete done and it is constant chaos all the time from poor practices and standards.

We were shipped a truck that contained hydrocholic acid, concentrated chlorine, 19 pallets of car batteries, and fertilizer. This was a bomb on wheels, when addressed with corporate I was told I could no longer send out emails because it called to light too many problems.

The store managers are former Walmart or meijers managers that failed miserably in their former lives, and thrive in a company without many controls.

Much more can be said but I'm tired of typing
Pros
Regular associates
Cons
Everything else
fun environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INSeptember 15, 2015
I took this job when I was still in high school and had a baby to raise. I really liked working there. When I graduated high school it was time to move on with my life and find something better for myself.
Pros
fun
Cons
alot of drama
Horrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHJanuary 13, 2016
I use to work there. It is a bad place to work. Management doesn't do their job properly. I was told once I received full time that I would get a full weekend off a month and only had to close one night a week. I was told when I started that they would work around my schedule. Also they hate when you have a second job. they want this job to be priority. the last four months I was there it had got to the point where I was closing two and three nights a week and I hadn't had a weekend off in 4 months and they stopped working around my schedule. there is a lot of favoritism. Management does not back up what they say. There is a lot of drama. When I started they basically didn't tell me anything. So I had to learn as I went, which sometimes got me in trouble due to I didn't know what to do and learned on my own. They couldn't keep help because employees were tired of so much. They change so much all the time too so it seems we as an employee don't know whats going on anymore.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
Productive and fun workplace
HEAD CASHIER RURAL KING (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOApril 20, 2016
A typical day at work is a constant steady pace of customers. There is always something that can be done. I have learned a lot of communication skills through the company as well as leadership skills. The management of this company is awesome. The co-workers are good, really enjoyed the fact that I could get along with everyone with no problem. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who don't cooperate, but you learn how to handle it in the best way possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work in a fun environment with people who want to see you better yourself.
Overall great place to work
Sporting Goods Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 7, 2016
I have been working for this company for about 5 years now. It can be stressful at times, but my co-workers help ease the stress. They are fun to work with, and most of them might as well be considered family. We help each other out a lot, especially when deadlines are set.

We have a lot of frequent customers in which everyone knows by name. I think it's great customer comes in after being in the previous week, and I can carry on a casual conversation with them about how their products are working for them and if they are satisfied.

Working for this company has helped me open up more, and has helped me in my people skills,
Good workplace
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 25, 2015
This is a great place to work. The staff is friendly and supportive. The management team does a good job at scheduling to meet your family needs. The benefits are great and affordable. The employee discount is pretty good too.
Pros
travel expenses are paid in a timely manner
It's a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLJuly 2, 2016
It's a job. Hard workers seem to get punished. Lazy workers seem to get rewarded. Some gems in management but since not everyone is on the same page there is confusion. Don't get next schedule till last day of the last schedule so it's hard to plan your life. Don't feel like there is much advancement, been givin little opportunity to do so. Benefit is that it is a job and that you get 15% discount being an employee and they sell alot of cool stuff there.
Pros
Discount. Some Nice Employees
Cons
It's retail
it was alright type of job
Floater (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILMay 23, 2016
I never got treated right, because of my disability. I told them that I was hard of hearing that I wouldn't be able to pick up phone calls. but then i get in trouble for it because i told them i couldnt understand them so i went got the another co-worker but they refuse to help me out so i ignore the phone went to my manger then he got mad because i "wouldn't do my job" like they don't understand that I cant understand over the phone without me reading lips!
A lot of hours for a little pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNJuly 19, 2016
By the time I left, I was working about 70 to 80 hours per week. I was only bringing home about 30,000 dollars. When calculated, that equates to about minimum wage. The managers there are overworked and most definitely underappreciated. The environment and the customers were the only redeeming quality of the job.
Pros
15% Store Discount
Cons
Unrealistic Expectations
the worst place i have ever worked
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 6, 2015
The management team, store manager and region manager had very poor people skills. They would raise there voice at associates and curse as well. It was not a job you would look forward to showing up for.
Pros
none to think of
Cons
poor leadership
productive, fast paced!
Clothing processor (Former Employee) –  decatur,inFebruary 4, 2015
what I did on a typical day was put security devices on clothing, boots, and high end tools. I learned a lot at rural king considering it was my first retail job and I learned mostly everything on my own with little training. well management never stayed around so I had a lot of different changes in management and only few really knew their jobs. my co workers were like family and we all bonded well and not one person ever felt unaccepted. the hardest part of my job was working in the awful temps. the most enjoyable part of my job was actually the elderly that worked along side with me and they sure did teach me a lot.
Pros
working by myself
Cons
no praise in the work environment
Corporate Over-reach
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYMay 25, 2016
Though the company has a good insight into its' target audience and the buyers do a good job of supplying the right products, the over-zealous approach by corporate management is many times counter-productive in the operation of their retail outlets.
Pros
Friendly store staff and management
Cons
Tense atmosphere when the corporate office becomes involved.
Married to the job.
Traveling Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INApril 20, 2016
Very high stress due to corporate change in management. I enjoyed working with the public. The hardest part was filling in for other workers who quit or were fired. I never knew when the shift would end. I usually spent 15 hrs/day on the job. Pay raises were very slow in coming and I never knew when I'd be able to have a day off.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Never able to fully leave the job site.

2.4