Rural King Employee Reviews

Watch your back
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KY 40391May 24, 2017
Loved working here but management is terrible. If they don't like you they will do everything in their power to make you quit. They say they have a high turnover rate because that is how retail goes but it is because the management is terrible. The customers and coworkers are nice.
Pros
Great customers and coworkers
Cons
Management, no benefits
Fun Place to work
Loader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMay 22, 2017
Good workplace culture, I learned a lot about, customer service and how a store operates. I was a loader assigned to home and garden for a season. I worked with some good people and a few not so good people. I had good managers above and everyone was treated fairly. A typical day for myself, was getting carts, helping customers with heavy products or answering questions about products we sold. The hardest part of the job was probably getting carts in the snow ,but not the worst thing I have ever had to do. The most enjoyable part getting in to shape ,because I was constantly moving products and carts. At the end of the day, The other loaders, a manager and myself would lock up the store.
Pros
Good people and constantly busy
Cons
short breaks, low pay, no benifits
Alright
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 22, 2017
Normal retail store environment.Very busy normally you will always be doing something. They are pretty flexible as long as you let them know ahead of time what is going on.
Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INMay 22, 2017
A great and friendly store. Great prices on items great management. willing to work with you on your schedule. Kind co workers and good training. i highly recomand
can be stressful but i like working with the public
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Murphysboro, ILMay 19, 2017
Just like any other job where you deal with the public it can be stressful. I think the company could do better at customer service and they could def. do a better job with their schedules.
Pros
friendly
Youth Work Program
Participant (Former Employee) –  St. Clairsville, OHMay 16, 2017
Worked for 20 hours as part of a youth work program. I worked one week for the company as a part of a career exploration program with the Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities.
It is okay
Stacker Assembly (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OHMay 16, 2017
For the job it is I think t should pay a little better. The benefits arnt very good and neither is the management. It is a good ip and coming company though
People
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHMay 16, 2017
I love the people I worked with. You get to work with live animals. The customers that came in were usually the same ones every week that we knew them by name and they all knew us the same
Productive stressful workplace
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  2300 E MorganMay 11, 2017
For the most part Rural King was an okay place to work at other then the fact they promoted me to supervisor 3 months ago I got my full time hours and the extra responsibilities but never received my raise never got a set schedule which is hard considering I have two children I just got tired of doing all the extra stuff and feeling like it wasn't appreciated
Cons
They dont work with your schedule
I enjoyed working there. Assistant manager was awesome
Dept Manager/Strategic Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMay 11, 2017
Management was great
Good coworkers
Wage was a little low for work required
Higher up management were not organized
The company didn't take into consideration of the locality of each store and its needed products
Pros
Great people and products. Convenient location Great managers
Cons
Needed more employees to do the job efficiently, Distribution from northern location to southern location was bad
Fun workplace
Head Cashier/Customer Service/stocker (Current Employee) –  Clearfield, PAMay 10, 2017
Its fun to work at Rural King, and everyone is friendly, have live stock, including rabbits, employee discount.
Everyone watches each other like a big family.
Pros
An hour lunch break, everyone is friendly
Cons
Short breaks
Simple Job/Good Entry Level Work
Customer Service Representative/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Swansea, ILMay 5, 2017
Fine place where you simply walk around the store and help those who need it and most won't (mostly the elderly). Get shopping carts, stock shelves, move pallets, and assist customers to their vehicles. Not really allowed to talk to others unless you're working near each other but you can stop and chat for a second when no one new is in the store that needs help. Staff is nice and friendly.
Pros
Simple, Phsyical Work and 4-8hr shifts
Cons
Hours (hard to change the schedule)
everybody got along very well and worked well together
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INMay 3, 2017
I liked the way that my department was always changing for every season. It kept me busy and changing things around. I also got to see all of the new merchandise that would come in
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
short breaks, managemnent
poor company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OHMay 2, 2017
ive seen better organized fleamarkets
the most understaffed, underpayed placed to work that ive experienced in 15 years of retail
absolutely ridiculous place to work
Pros
employee discount
Cons
everything else. work schedule, pay, hours, ridiculous standards with no staff
Productive fun work place
Part­Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOMay 1, 2017
A typical day consists of helping customers with any problem and greeting everyone with a smile. You learn how to work well with others and how to work alone. The management is always there to help with anything. The hardest part of the job would be trying to keep the check out lines down so the customers have a fast and easy check out when you are working register alone. The most enjoyable part would be getting to know your coworkers and always having someone to help out or talk to when you arent sure of something.
Pros
Good breaks
unorganized workplace
Automotive Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, PAApril 29, 2017
all work is pushed onto you, even if your not in charge of that department.

Example: as a manager of a department i was constantly pulled to another department and my department was left in shambles due to a lack of labor in store.
benefits
Cons
scheduling, management
Productive and Friendly Co-Workers.
Cashier, stocker (Former Employee) –  Van Wert, OHApril 25, 2017
Hardest part of the job occurred during big sales, seasonal/holiday hours. Learned General manager and leader of register position and responsibility.
Stable company
Loader (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCApril 17, 2017
Overall, Rural King is a very stable working environment. It's a debt-free company with fair hours and a large amount of decent bonuses. However I, personally, don't enjoy the "Rural" environment of it all.
Pros
Debt-free, great bonuses, stable company
Cons
Horrible Environment, rude customers, annoying co-workers
Great Place to work
Dept Manager to Processor (Current Employee) –  Hartland, MIApril 14, 2017
Being the newest RK store to open, it has been a little bit hetic, but we are all learning the process together as a team. Management is Wonderful and easy to work with. Hired in as a Dept. Manager but couldn't do all the hrs so went to PT and they kept me at the Manager wage.
Pros
Managers, team members and always busy
Cons
short breaks
Fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INApril 14, 2017
I loved my job at rural king, every now and then I'd get frustrated with some of the people but never a worker. Very well rounded company and great environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5