Rural King Employee Reviews in United States

Overall great place to work
Sporting Goods Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILApril 7, 2016
I have been working for this company for about 5 years now. It can be stressful at times, but my co-workers help ease the stress. They are fun to work with, and most of them might as well be considered family. We help each other out a lot, especially when deadlines are set.

We have a lot of frequent customers in which everyone knows by name. I think it's great customer comes in after being in the previous week, and I can carry on a casual conversation with them about how their products are working for them and if they are satisfied.

Working for this company has helped me open up more, and has helped me in my people skills,
Productive and fun workplace
HEAD CASHIER RURAL KING (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOApril 20, 2016
A typical day at work is a constant steady pace of customers. There is always something that can be done. I have learned a lot of communication skills through the company as well as leadership skills. The management of this company is awesome. The co-workers are good, really enjoyed the fact that I could get along with everyone with no problem. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who don't cooperate, but you learn how to handle it in the best way possible. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to work in a fun environment with people who want to see you better yourself.
Good "first job" for someone
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHFebruary 16, 2016
This was my first year-round job that I've had. All in all, it has been a good experience when it comes to working with others and customer service. I absolutely love the people I work with. The recent loss of some good workers to other jobs and such has made things more difficult, and the change in management is somewhat hard to adapt to, but it will get easier. The hardest part of the job is the angry customer who thinks everything you say is automatically wrong. The most enjoyable part of the job is the regular customers who know you by name who seem so excited when they walk through the door and see that they get to chat with you.
Married to the job.
Traveling Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INApril 20, 2016
Very high stress due to corporate change in management. I enjoyed working with the public. The hardest part was filling in for other workers who quit or were fired. I never knew when the shift would end. I usually spent 15 hrs/day on the job. Pay raises were very slow in coming and I never knew when I'd be able to have a day off.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Never able to fully leave the job site.
Disrespectful Managers
Head Loader (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJanuary 11, 2016
The staff did not stay long because the managers would get angry at them and chew them out on the walkie talkie so customers could hear. When customer had issues, managers would take their sweet time to deal with their customer. Managers did not always speak to each other in professional manners on the walkie talkie and customer could hear it.
Pros
Making new friends
Cons
Poor Management
Nonono
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  SomewhereMarch 30, 2016
Horribly managed, and junk equipment unless you are working in Illinois. They only look out for the Illinois dc and everybody else is just a branch or a limb. This company needs to take a step back and look at who is doing their job and who actually is saving money because it is not the Illinois dc
Need of better enviroment and equipment
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INMarch 21, 2016
After being an associate of a month, had to pull pallets out onto to the sales floor, with broken pallet jack, and a double pallet. Ended up hurting my right shoulder pretty bad, and the management team could have cared less.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bedford, INJanuary 1, 2016
Work with customers either on cashing out or returning items, answer the phone and redirect calls. In charge of the cashiers and helping them if hey come across with a problem either with register or customer, clean the popcorn machine, count money.
Pros
promotions
Cons
short break
Horrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHJanuary 13, 2016
I use to work there. It is a bad place to work. Management doesn't do their job properly. I was told once I received full time that I would get a full weekend off a month and only had to close one night a week. I was told when I started that they would work around my schedule. Also they hate when you have a second job. they want this job to be priority. the last four months I was there it had got to the point where I was closing two and three nights a week and I hadn't had a weekend off in 4 months and they stopped working around my schedule. there is a lot of favoritism. Management does not back up what they say. There is a lot of drama. When I started they basically didn't tell me anything. So I had to learn as I went, which sometimes got me in trouble due to I didn't know what to do and learned on my own. They couldn't keep help because employees were tired of so much. They change so much all the time too so it seems we as an employee don't know whats going on anymore.
Pros
customers
Cons
management
great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marion, OHNovember 10, 2015
great people and management always made you feel at home. I still go back to this day just to see the managers and talk with them, working there is like being part of an extended family and they take care of you. took great care of me when my dad passed, even though I had only been working there a few weeks, they treated me with great respect and compassion
Fine at first
Gun Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHFebruary 15, 2016
It started out fine, but after almost a year, people who have been there a month have more authority than I do. The store manager is very disconnected from the rest of the store and ignores employees when they want a moment to speak with him.
Productive and had great people to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHNovember 4, 2015
I really enjoyed working at Rural King for the time that I did. The managers at this company are absolutely amazing and helped out in any way they could. Just like any work place there were a few people that weren't the best to work with, as our personalities had clashed. Great team work and loved being able to interact with the customers.
Poor management
cashier (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLMarch 5, 2016
Terrible management employee relations. No direction for employees and employees are expected to do everything for minimum wage. No pay increase structure at all. Overall a company that disrespects it's employees and doesn't care
Straight forward and honest place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INMarch 1, 2016
Rural King was a great position. The management is straight forward and honest. They try to keep you busy while you are on the clock. Co-workers work together to get the job done.
Fun environment great people and customers.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, OHMarch 17, 2016
Customers who shop here are very understanding and friendly. Jobs are easy to do and not boring. It's a retail store so expect a retail job.
Pros
Easy job, short shifts
Where the Managers work to cover the employees who won't.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILOctober 5, 2015
This place is easy to work at. They don't expect you to do much, just what will get you by. If you want to do more, generally you are grabbed to do everything. Some departments are better then others. Best being Clothing and the worst being Farm and Pets.
Pros
Good management team.
Cons
Poor lower level employees.
Mixed at Best
Loader (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHSeptember 3, 2015
While Rural King does promote from within, there is still a disconnect between the associate and the management. From the lower level point of view it seems as if there is a lack of caring for the welfare of the associates from the corporate level. I understand it is a business but a business is run by the people in the store not one man behind a desk.
Pros
Promote from within, usually a good atmosphere, weekend pay raise
Cons
poor higher management, don't ever expect to see them21
talking with people
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ILJanuary 22, 2016
I think what I have mainly learned working here is to slow down and talk with the customers and relate to them. We were never required to do this at Walmart.
sAll roud good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYAugust 25, 2015
The days at Rural King. Chock in at the time my shift started.. Cooe \\unt the teil before I walk to front with manger for the day. Then when I got to the restger I was assign to for the day. II also help answer the phone. Then, there was day that I work in clotheing and housewares. of night count the tiel at the end of night. Walk around the shore at closeing time. Clock out for the day.
very producive comany
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 1, 2016
we would go in every morning at 7am and either unload containers or split product out to their stores until the day ended at 330pm