Rural King Employee Reviews

love working witrh the gun dept got to know some customer
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLMarch 20, 2017
Rural King was a place I went to get away from hotel work. I had to work every weekend and holiday. I worked myself up to floor manager and I worked many departments. I am full time now and they make me work Sundays., they told me I had to work 2 a month . new managers came in and changed things. now the threating me to go back to part time if I have Sundays off. I do work every Friday and Saturday which is part of the weekend. I need Sundays off because my husband and I do a Sunday school bus route.
Pros
health insurace employee discount
Cons
having to work sundays
Pass on this job if you have a brain
Conveyor operator/cashier (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, IL/DCMarch 18, 2017
Started as a cashier..only got 20 hr/weeks...management was hateful to most employees unless you were their buddy..transferred to the warehouse for more hrs and a cpl dollars more..it was way worse..supervisors sleeping with employees awful work conditions...huge turnover..slave labor for peanut wages..I stayed for a yr too long...unless you were their drinking buddy you got treated like a dog..I seriously wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy..sad thing is I really don't think the owners know half the stuff that goes on in the stores
fun
Backup cashier up front, and for customer service (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ILMarch 13, 2017
I enjoyed most being able to walk around and help/ talk to customers one on one and help them find what they were looking for. I learned a lot about the store and stock. It was the only job that I was given the chance to learn register and work around the store.
Pros
ability to walk around
Cons
not enough people cover departments
The job was okay but ...
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Front Royal, VAMarch 11, 2017
I like working there but sometimes it was hard like other jobs the management they great it was a good experience and i like working with the other employees
offers lot of benefits
Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, ILMarch 10, 2017
offers monthly bonuses and stock options along with a 401K 5 day work weeks and 7 paid holidays. Only disagreement would be the extended hours on Thanksgiving day when it should be a FAMILY day
Understanding Management
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHMarch 8, 2017
Management is typically very understanding of work/life balance and is good about days requested off. Sometimes can be understaffed though because of the limit on hours.
It was productive
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Powderly, KYMarch 8, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working here to my friends. They are not a good employer and they do not care whether you are hurt or not. Numerous times have I seen people that were hurt working and the managers not care.
Not a good work place
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  West City, ILMarch 4, 2017
Employee's like to talk bad about each other. Management not very great. You have to be best buddies with the manager's to get a promotion. If you are looking to get more than 30 hours don't work here you might get 15-20 if your lucky. Customer service is horrible they dont care about the customers all the care about is getting paid, And the customers will agree. Also you get ONE 10 minute break.
Very fast-paced
Loader, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fremont, OHFebruary 27, 2017
Very fast paced! To be successful, you must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift a substantial amount of weight. Very fun environment surrounded by wonderful people!
It can be a good job. There is a lot of stress
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 23, 2017
It is an enjoyable job however, it is not a career job for me. It is an okay job. Mostly everyone is friendly. It can be stressful.
Rapidly Growing Company
Assistant Store Manager (Co) (Former Employee) –  Angola, INFebruary 17, 2017
Excellent company for those interested in a merchandising culture. Stores are older, and not in the best condition, but they work for the product that is being sold. I left for Gander Mountain for the opportunity to transfer down south.
Rural KIng
Loader/ Strategic Stocker (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHFebruary 15, 2017
Great place to work. Will certify you on forklift. Management treats you like family, if you work hard for them and respect them they will treat you the same way, will work with your school schedule.
Rural King, Lake Wales
Lawn and Garden Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLFebruary 14, 2017
Training needed work, and management didn't seem to understand what they were doing, I feel that they were just trying to open too many stores at once. They had to push back grand opening and they hired too many people, which in turn they had to let go many people, some of who left jobs to have an opportunity there.
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Trainings
alot of walking
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INFebruary 13, 2017
loading mulch in to customer cars,trucks,and trailer picking up stuff to carry out to customer cars walking around helping customer with heavy eitem and make sure clean and safe
Pros
discount on pruduct
Cons
no health care
Poor management and hopeless career
Gun (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLFebruary 12, 2017
Management doesn't care about employees and make promises they will not keep you will remain part time employees and you will not receive promotions or raises
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
Poor management and poor implementation
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tiffin, OHFebruary 7, 2017
If your idea of a great work place is working more hours than you should have to, get paid less than your promised salary, and find yourself in a position in which the positive change you'd like to see is at a near impossibility to implement- apply today!

Your manager will most likely panic about the freight above all else and then yell at you for not running your dept effectively (you can't because of all the freight).

Almost no one in the store will actually know how to do their jobs, even with several years of experience. It is a very high possibility that you will find yourself cleaning up messes/mistakes more than your official job title.

The truth is that unless you have previously worked at Wal-Mart you will not succeed in growth and the training you will receive will be below sub-par. In many cases none. And lets not even start on the mouse problem....

This could actually be a great place to work but without effective leadership and a policy to pay people a decent wage- not gonna happen.
Pros
The customers are great
Cons
All of the above
Unless you're really hurting, save yourself the headache
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILFebruary 4, 2017
I started working here last year and for the most part it's been pretty easy going. The assistant managers are solid but the store manager is unreliable... which is bad because he runs the show. There are a lot of unnecessary headaches I've had to deal with because of what the store manager did or didn't do. Unless you really need a job, I'd try else where. The turnover rate is very high if that tells you anything.
Pros
Assistant managers
Cons
Poor environment, give a lot, receive little
Simple review
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Angola, INFebruary 3, 2017
Average to above company that is growing, learning, and getting better. The continue to improve and get their operations, logistics, and marketing in order
very flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAFebruary 1, 2017
I played college ball and had a crazy school schedule and they worked around it all. Some of the managers were stricter than others but overall a good place to work.
ok place to work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJanuary 30, 2017
ok place to work. I believe that a lot of the issues are management and the fact they don't pay very well. I believe once they get the right individuals in the store it will run more efficiently

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9