Rural King Employee Reviews

GARDEN CENTER MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHDecember 24, 2016
Very friendly and fun place to work. The managers are great. Alot of heavy lifting, but relatively easy work. I loved dealing with customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Great place to work very flexible and willing to help employees
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people, just terrible management. Other than that great company
Loader (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILDecember 21, 2016
Terrible Managers that didn't want to help their employees when they might of been running behind on a project due to an injury which happened in my case.
Not a place I really enjoyed working
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INDecember 17, 2016
A typical day, would be me stocking shelves or cleaning.

I learned that I don't want to stock shelves for a living.

Management was rough. They wouldn't let me take initiative and do things without their go ahead. But I did what they told me too.

Co-workers were out for themselves mostly. I did what I could to stay on good terms with them, but they weren't too friendly.

Hardest part of the job was probably having to deal with being micro managed by management.

The best part of the job was probably when customers would stop and ask me questions.
it's a job.
Cashier, stocking (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVDecember 14, 2016
Scheduling is a problem, and most employees stay "upset" about not having enough help during business hours. Only "content" workers are overnight stockers.
Can't keep cashiers, and cannot schedule them right. Floor salespeople have to do their job and cashier's jobs also.
Pros
job, and some decent benefits after a while
Cons
mainly part-time only.
Productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYDecember 12, 2016
Fun place to work at very good management and Co workers very fast pace good benefits easy to pick up on how to do the work as a cashier friendly work place Co workers always help you when you need help
Pros
Discount on stufd there
Cons
Short breaks
Rural king
Clothing Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHDecember 11, 2016
I learn how to be assistance to costumers and employees and i learn good worker skills and how to help out and how to look stuff up on the computer for costumers
Pros
Good work places and employees
Cons
Hard to balance in a leadership role
Management (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 8, 2016
Rural King is an excellent place to work. There are some issues with workload being too heavy, expectations being unrealistic. Compensation in a leadership role is adequate. Company should focus more on training.
Pros
Hour lunch, stock options
Cons
45 - 50 hour work week
fun farming atmosphere
cashier, loader, forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OhioNovember 28, 2016
Great place to work but scheduling and managers do not communicate.
I started as cashier then moved to loader, I also did a little forklift work.
Pros
discounts and benefits
Cons
low hours and poor managment
Enjoyable company with excellent ownership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, OHNovember 24, 2016
A normal day at work was what each individual made it, either productive or not.
I was the overseer of the entire store from payroll to inventory and was required to view it daily. Was required to keep budget requirements in line.
I was required to conduct meetings and plan the day for the accomplishment of assigned tasks daily.
I toured the store daily to plan areas that needed attention and accomplishments to make sure of excellent customer service.
Pros
Above average freedom on merchandising
Cons
Freight flow

Comment – February 3, 2017

It must be noted that recent changes in higher management is costing the company its family type work environment and the higher management above the store has lost all care and concern for the employees.

bare minimum
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  matoon, ILNovember 11, 2016
low wages both hourly (minimum wage) and management (less than Wal-Mart or Target ASM. great for what they want, Less is more. great for experience but not a long term career.
Management is horrible
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  HallsNovember 9, 2016
Great people to work with except for management they think you are there to talk to you like you are worth nothing. They don't know how to treat a employee with respect the pay is low and same position has variety of low pay. They just look at you and try to see what is the lowest you will accept.
Pros
Regular employees are awesom
Cons
Management are unfair and Jerks
Fast Pace workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVNovember 4, 2016
Coworkers are a great crew. Very fast paced, especially with the holiday season upon us. As with any place there are pros and cons. But overall, it isn't bad.
Great high school job. And great for people with an already busy schedule.
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Tiffin, OHNovember 1, 2016
Lack of sufficient management. Had very flexible hours, great high school job. Working at rural king has taught me how to handle money and gave me a lot of experience in customer service. Opportunity to be a department mananger after awhile of working. Rural king offers a chance to meet great people and enjoy yourself while on the job.
Pros
Flexiable hours.
Cons
Poor management.
not so much
Department Manager and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Collinsville, ILOctober 27, 2016
they do not care for sindel mother they dont really care about the ppl who work for the store is dirty and hott office manger gors tho ppl record it is just a bad place to wotk for
Ups and downs like any job
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAOctober 27, 2016
Been with the company for a year and a half and still enjoy it for the most part. If you can't handle weeks of stress followed by weeks that are so slow you could die, don't apply to be a Receiving Manager with Rural King.
Training is based only on the knowledge of the receiving manager at the store you go to train. If you get a dud that doesn't know what they're doing, you're doomed. It's a challenging position as all operations basically fall on your shoulders, without the salaried position or title.
However, the influence of former Walmart management in RK corporate office has the potential to ruin this environment. Seems more and more checklists, programs and scorecards ala walmart are popping up week by week. I hope it doesn't go in that direction.
If you do not have a strong retail operations backround, you will absolutely fail at this job and cause high shrink for your store.
I know this isn't a typical review, getting right to the point. No need to talk about management and human error and interaction that I've experienced because it will obviously differ in your store. I think best to let you know what you're in for.
Pros
Decent wage, no weekends or nights. Free turkey for Thanksgiving!
Cons
10 min breaks, logistics truck scheduling, poor internet order shipping system that will frustrate you every day!
Department manager
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 19, 2016
Management is horrible. Working with customer is the bonus for the day. Getting time off is impossible. No over time and horribly inconsistent schedules
Pros
I have a job
Cons
Attitude of management
Do not work here!
Splitter stacker (Former Employee) –  Waverly OhioOctober 15, 2016
Treatment of employees is terrible. Management riding around in golf carts well the employees work like dogs. No wage increases por benefit package. Definitely glad I left that place.
Pros
I left
Cons
Management is terrible especially that general manager
Good Place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Monticello, INOctober 6, 2016
Other than the over flow of freight and lack of employees to work this is a great place to work. This is a great place to work Just need to have more hours available to have better customer service.
great for a part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 16, 2016
if you have never worked retail this place would be a place to try. easy work, basically stock shelves and helped out customers. not a lot of full time work there but part time there is a lot. you get to learn about different things there
Terrible organization.
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLSeptember 13, 2016
Management constantly hiring new employees to cut hours. Failure to teach employees proper procedure, so you're pretty much set to fail. Your position constantly shifts. You could be a cashier sent outside to load cars or stock shelves rather than man the register.
Pros
Discount for you and family
Cons
Hours, Management Neglect, Staff Changes Constantly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9