Rural Metro Employee Reviews in United States

Overworked and underpaid
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 25, 2015
I was a dispatcher for this company for almost 7 years. They laid off employees, cut raises, and overworked all employees (dispatchers, EMTs, paramedics). All management is a joke and they have no idea what hard work they're employees do every day. If you are applying for a job at this company, be prepared to barely make ends meet, while doubling or tripling your job duties as you watch senior employees who have finally had enough quit left and right. This company is going downhill fast. Jump off ship before it sinks is what I did!
one of the best jobs i had
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJanuary 7, 2016
great coworkers good equipment to work with well maintain trucks. Good benefits . Learned a lot about Emergency Medical Service. fair management hardest part 24 hrs shifts
Pros
not stuck inside office all day
Cons
24 hrs shifts
save yourself the headaches look elsewhere.
PARAMEDIC (Former Employee) –  Payson, AZOctober 19, 2015
Rural Metro & PMT has the most unresponsive and incompetent management.

Worst in EMS.

For profit, not employees or customers.

Old & outdated equipment.
Pros
helping ill/injured, some good coworkers, regular pay
Cons
management, low pay, poor benefits, low morale, bad employees
The potential is there.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAMarch 6, 2016
I worked for this company for enough time to get a real good understanding of how the machine works. My assessment is not going to be a good one. The powers that be in the company have no interest in you, the little worker bee, other than making them money. They take their vacations whenever they choose, and for us, only one paramedic can be off on any given day. There is no regard when it's a holiday, meaning you are on a truck but rarely get rewarded and no gratitude for doing so. Basically you are a doormat for upper management. It's very difficult to move up from within the company. Any education is on your own with no assistance from the company, including time off for school. If you can deal with the bs, the pay is decent considering. Dispatch is a bunch of morons that don't know the area and send what the computer thinks is the closest truck. Getting the wrong address on a critical call is frequent. I could go on and on, you get the idea by now I'm sure.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Poor, underqualufied management. Terrible dispatchers
A fun place to work
Ambulance Coder (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale AZAugust 28, 2015
The supervisor was a fun loving, outgoing individual. We did a lot of overtime. The training could have been a little better because several of us were confused at what exactly they wanted from us.
Pros
Fun work environment, great benefits
Cons
a lot of overtime, confusion with required task
closed in indiana
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 21, 2016
This was the worst transport company i ever worked for. Management had favorites and then the equipment was never fully functioning. Ambulances were in poor shape. hints why they are sitting in a junk yard after closing.
Pros
Knowledgeable Paramedics who were willing to teach newbies (some)
Cons
Non working equipment, no call no shows, always changing partners
Low pay, unqualified management, low morale
Fire/EMS dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, ArizonaJuly 30, 2015
This is a great place to gain experience and then move on. The Tucson branch of this company is now one of the lowest paying dispatch agencies in the area. Starting hourly pay is several dollars below what other public safety agencies are paying, and the workload is much more. Advancement is based on popularity rather than qualifications, leading to poor support and follow through by management and extremely low morale. Dispatchers are held accountable for unreasonable response standards due to upper management shutting down ambulances to save money. On top of handling multiple radio frequencies and answering both 911 and inter facility calls, the dispatchers are required to handle billing duties, as well. Definitely not a place to consider for long term. If the laughable pay and lack of retirement don't motivate you to move on, then the low morale, favortism, office politics and heavy workload definitely will.
Pros
12 hour shift with 3 or 4 days off every week
Cons
Low pay, unqualified management, low morale
Could be so much better
Critical Care Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 15, 2015
Trying to maintain system status with not enough employees is hard enough, but when you have management that just cannot seem to grasp and positively affect the issues makes it even worse. Many employees have left for lower paying jobs that they must drive further to reach just to find better working conditions. Field personnel are routinely held over (more than 50% of scheduled shifts), dispatchers frequently mid-handle trucks and posting, and most field supervisors are infrequently helpful. Another example is that trucks are routinely deficient regarding required supplies and equipment, and stock doesn't have "a key" to get some of the items, and we are frequently just out of something or another. How difficult is it to manage inventory? It should be so much better, if only management would engage the field staff and work as a team.
Pros
High volume, diversity of cases, local trauma, cardiac, and stroke centers
Cons
Too numerous to list
Just a cog in the machine
UNKNOWN (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CANovember 2, 2015
With an exception of a few great lower management employees, this place is ran very poorly. No culture, pride or employee empowerment. The people who could make the workplace great do not have the power to do so and must transfer the decision making to the higher ups. The higher ups only care about one thing...$$$$
Company in Trouble
paramedic (Current Employee) –  Arvada, CO and Bushnell, FLOctober 27, 2015
Good company to start as a fresh out of school paramedic. Get your feet wet and learn to be street smart as a paramedic. Use the company for what it is, a job and learning experience.
Pros
Learning
Cons
Not a place to stay, no advancement offered by the company inside or through higher education, no tuition reembursment or working with school schedules
long hours but veery satisfying work overall
Fire battalion chief (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 7, 2015
good management hard workers and trust among fellow firefighters. all personnel followed rules an worked very hard to be professional at all times
Pros
great people
Cons
shortahe of manpower and equipment
Turn around was high
Post Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 12, 2016
Company had filed for bankruptcy and reorganized and personnel did not have the correct training for their job titles and managing the people under them
Cons
inadequite training
opportunity for advancement
Denial Appeals Rep (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 30, 2015
There is one person whom I like in our management team. This is the main reason why I stayed a employee. She was always there for her Cash Posting team, always willing to listen & always willing to go to bat for us.
Always opportunity for advancement.
A pleasant place to work.
Productive work balance and interaction with other employees.
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 17, 2015
Setting up your computer, begin calling insurance companies for claim status, review accounts, research problem solving. The hardest part of the job is finding the right insurance carrier for the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was each co-worker was always available to help you. We all work together as a seamless team, that includes the management.
Pros
Able be yourself
Cons
temporary job as a contractor.
Busy,how to reach out to banks,insurance companies,and patients.
Cash Poster (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 14, 2015
A good work place. I was there for 15 years. As the company began to grow learn new policices and produres.Everyone worked together as a team to make the job easier and a happy enviroment.
Pros
everyone worked together as a team, even upper management.
Cons
sorry, that the billing department w.as outsource
There was a lot of variety in what i did each day.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside with coleagues and learning from them.
We were expected to stand outdoors in weather below zero during the 12 hour shifts.No support with Management.
Pros
Making people safe and secure
Cons
Only break was 30 minutes in a 12 hour shift.
I enjoyed working for them
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 27, 2015
To me this was the best job I had ever had. The company cared about their workers and helps them if they needed it. They were never short on hours even till the end.
My favorite job ever
EMT/FTO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2012
While working for Rural Metro. my title was as an emt/FTO. On a typical day; I made all the crew vehical assisgments, made stock inventories for the office; Worked as a road supervisor, and was a liason between management and employees;
Pros
salary was higher than other comanies in area, employees of other offices worked well together, always room for overtime, my favorite place of employment.
Cons
equipment at times were older, company had really bad mechanics.
Aurora 911
EMT-Basic (Former Employee) –  Aurora,COAugust 2, 2015
Great stepping stone to my medical career/ experience was good, yet the training and preceptors where not the best/ working with Aurora Fire was not the greatest. best thing was just being able to say I did it.
Pros
Driving an Ambulance
Cons
Not very good at Team efforts
Emt
EMT (Former Employee) –  MesaAugust 12, 2015
Te company underwent many changes that made the day to day work life of employees difficult. The organization and communication could be improved upon greatly