Rush Enterprises Employee Reviews

I Love this Job
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILMay 12, 2017
sold parts, Delivered parts , Warehouse Manger learned a lot and showed me a lot and that cooperation just stink. management in building was great but the big shots stinks the hardest was putting up with big wigs that live in a different stat would come tell us how to run things we new it wouldn't work that's why the doors closed and also cause
Pros
many
Cons
none really
Say what you mean
Director (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXMay 12, 2017
The culture described by the leadership and written down in their codes and policies is more mythological than reality. Discipline is not consistent. Nepotism and favoritism can be observed though out the organization.. Politics not policy drives most decision-makers at the corporate level. There is an atmosphere of distrust between the home office and the dealerships. If it wasn't written down, it wasn't said. Verbal abuse is the norm. The human resources department fails to address gross misconduct if the decision is not popular. They advise on what the right course of action is, but support any decision that is made-even the wrong one. The job was great but the culture repulsive.
Good resume builder but know when it is time to leave
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 6, 2017
First off, the company was great to me for some time. The opportunities for growth are in vast supply if you have a decent head on your shoulders. Lord knows if you can operate a calculator, you are special in this crowd.

However, do not expect not to feel taken advantage of at their whim. After being purchased by Rush, every manager that I recall in our dealer group took a pay cut. After several years, I transferred to another recently purchased location that was already tanking horribly. After a year, and several management changes, salaries were cut again. You would think I was exempt from adjustment as I was a previous employee who had moved 2k miles to save a dying service department and had negotiated a salary for that transfer. After year two, I took home over $15k less than year one while sales were up $1M and profit up by over $600k. Know what you are worth and get it in writing as this company is, or should be, known for its shady salary practices.

Culture also lacks extensively. Rush does great things with company picnics every few years and a preprinted card for your anniversary. The anniversary cards are so widely respected amongst employees that I did not even receive my ten year anniversary pin from my GM. However, there is a huge divide between corporate and the dealers out there making money to pay the bills. Dealers are left to their own devices with resources that are virtually nonexistent for employee functions. All the while, company wide emails are sent seemingly weekly about some award ceremony or luncheon given for the New Braunfels crowd. As an
  more... acquisition manager trainer on quite a few occasions, and an acquired employee myself, I know far too well how poorly Rush does in welcoming new dealerships into the fray. You must be able to forge relationships or you will feel forgotten almost immediately.

Also with culture, there will always be personnel changes. And it is reasonable to expect changes in management style, priorities, and soft expectations. However, high level dealer group management changes at least every 12 months made it extremely difficult and tiresome to keep up with what the boss du jour wants. This will settle down eventually but unfortunately there are many that have left simply due to the confusion on any given day. Also, the conflict between higher ups at corporate is evident. One VP will say turn left today, another VP will tell you to turn right tomorrow. While we all share a destination, the whiplash becomes numbing.

Lastly, Rush needs to find a way to grow into its shoes. Receiving a beat down regarding time management when much of my time was spent negotiating with local vendors to 'keep the lights on' because corporate payables was six months behind for years. And that dressing down was predicated on a demand that 14 hour days are to be considered normal. At one point being forced to juggle three trash vendors and storing multiple containers onsite because we couldn't get them paid to dump the trash. Know that employees were funding company events to some extent themselves because getting money for a planned holiday employee lunch was nearly impossible. The GM would set a date and expectation, but no follow through. What did that employee, who bought lunches with his own money for 80+ people on several occasions, get for his trouble? Laid off. Where was the GM at any point during the entire charade? Eh, he showed when the food arrived and a chance to wave to us peons presented itself.

As titled above, know when to walk away. Rush has some great people, many with which I am still friends. However, unless you are fast tracked out of the dealer group, your tenure will be limited to your tolerance.
Pros
Fast environment, Good people here and there
Cons
Sap, Work/Life expectations
Fraud Culture
Corporate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New Braufels, TxApril 7, 2017
Management is corrupt all the way to the top. Rush Driving Principals are nothing more than a sham. Executives are corrupt, and they hired a psycho to run the ethics department.
Pros
Cons
Stay away from this company
no communication and everyone is miserable
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 11, 2017
Rush looks like a nice place to work for in cleveland but dont. Management doesnt talk to supervisors and communicate. Everyone is depressed due to labor times and pay. Work is fast pace if you find an oil drain or a jack. Facilities needs some upgrades
Pros
work with schedule
Cons
short breaks no communication labor times
wonderful company to work for
(contract) SR Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXDecember 29, 2016
Top notch management team, makes you feel right at home, team members are always willing to go above and beyond for each other. CEO is a down to earth guy!
Implementing new strategies
Inventory Control Manager- (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 30, 2016
Being put in charge of purchasing and all warehouse operations, I was able to work with vendors to lower purchase points and raise productivity in our warehouse.
A bunch of self righteous snobes
Corporate Warranty Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXOctober 21, 2016
Worked in Accounting for 1 year, 6 years in warranty back when it was only like 45 stores....I loved the work I did but my bosses were two faced and there was way too much favoritism.... It didn't matter how good of a job you did because the only way to be recognized was if you were a brown noisier.
Towards the end .... it was like walking on egg shells everyday. Wasted 7 years of my life busting my butt for what I thought was a career .... only to be overworked, overlooked and criticized constantly by my lead.
Pros
It was just a paycheck
Cons
I could write a book full
Know your worth
Parts Counter Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 19, 2016
Good place to work overall.Meet alot of wonderful people. World of knowledgeable co-workers and customers. Fast pace not for the faint of heart. Have to be sure of what you say cause you can cost someone alot of money if you are not sure. Would definitely recommend working there if they accommodated your worth.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Advancement without relocation
Industry Driven Compnay
Lease Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 19, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of chasing down leads, proposing new business, spec'ing trucks and or services existing customer's needs while handling any question or concerns they may have in regards to our equipment.
Pros
Car Allowance, Cell Phone Reimbursement
Cons
Dependant on the market, saturated with lots of competition
If you love being lied too then this is the job for you!
Parts driver (Former Employee) –  Sylmar, CASeptember 19, 2016
This company is the worse! Broken promises by management! Poor pay and even more poor benefits! Alot of brown nosing going around at this company. The parts driver position is runned by a two face unprofessional manager who don't know anything about being a manager and is only good at micro managing and sitting on his lazy butt and not doing anything all day unless he needs to just so that he can pretend to look busy. He claims to have years and years of manager experience but it doesn't show because he is very ignorant and treats his workers like poorly unless you kiss his butt. He goes around telling people your personal buisness like a female. He has all the time in the world to be on his computer checking to see where your at on the GPS tracking system instead of actually working. He's a very manipulate and sorry excuse of a man. If you do decide to get a job here and especially for the parts driver position I suggest you take notes and cover your butt all the time because he's the type of person who will deny everything when you bring it up to him and will say to you "I don't ever recall telling you that." He acts like he's your best friend just so that you can open up to him and tell him things about you and that's his way of using that against you and pretending that he's such a great boss but at the end he's not. He's always on his phone either playing Pok√©mon or on Facebook or all kinds of stuff while he's on the clock. He really has no clue of what he's doing and instead of doing his job duties and responsibilities he throws them to other employees to do and that's  more... his way of making him self look good. Every person that he has hired is someone he knows on a personal level or he has worked with because that's his way of making him self look good and having employees dumb enough to make him look good and that's how he grows in a company. All he cares about is making his money and he don't care who he screws over to get it so don't trust him because all he is LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES
Well I can go on and on telling you about this sorry excuse of man but it's up to you to experience it So you been warned.
Pros
Vacation is cumulative
Cons
Poor pay and benefits, only 30 minutes lunch
stressfull
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCSeptember 8, 2016
High paced and high stress results driven environment with high rewards. The typical day starts with handling phones on truck status updates and scheduling work flow in the shop. Training scheduling and warranty processing.
Pros
people
Cons
all about the numbers
Very good place to work
Special Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2016
Work there for 25 years
watch company grow from 2 locations to over 100
started in outside service sales helped to put together a manufacturing division
Run away
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  GAAugust 10, 2016
I hated this place it was the most stressful job I have ever had.... I would not recomend this company to anyone, unless you enjoy being miserable on a daily basis!
Pros
Nice Shop
Cons
not buddies with service writer & being talked down to, no support
Fast paced work environment with competitive pay.
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNAugust 1, 2016
Rush Enterprises is one of the leading heavy duty truck sales and service companies. I worked at the front counter in the Service Department. On a average day my co-worker & I would write about 25 new repair orders, answer 80+ phone calls, manage repair orders that were still active, contact and keep customer up to speed on repair status.
Two of the things I enjoyed the most was meeting all the customers that would come to see us, & helping them find solutions to their repair needs.
One of the hardest parts of the job was trying to meet the needs of a customer who had unattainable expectations. For example: removing an old engine, installing a new one, all in one day, & for free.
Pros
Employer sponsored lunches and company picnic.
Cons
Didn't get to take a lunch break every day.
Appears to be a grea place to work, looks are deceiving.
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 24, 2016
Mainly, the entire management staff has absolutely no respect or consideration for an employee who is the sole Warehouse employee at a large truck company, which receives upwards of $50,000 worth of parts and essential equipment per day, incoming and outgoing.
Pros
Pay rate is above minimum wage
Cons
Little to no lunch breaks, no room for advancement, overworked and underappreciated
Really lackluster place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMay 18, 2016
Worked there for 2 years and never saw management do anything. Ran off the good service writer for another that knew the upper management. Shop foreman was a joke and knew nothing of trucks. Had a "formula" for raises that screwed everyone. Was promised $3/HR over two years and got a dime. Be cautious and negotiate pay up front. Benefits are terrible and they do indeed take time from your flat rate pool.
Pros
They let me leave
Cons
Pay, benefits, management
A company with potential...
Level 5 Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland/AkronMay 3, 2016
Rush Enterprises has great potential to be a company worth working for. Unfortunately, now is not that time! Rush has expanded to rapidly, forcing them to make drastic, unethical decisions in order to try and maintain a profitable truck sales and service market. During my endeavors with Rush within the greater Cleveland/Akron area, I witnessed and was forced to be part of many unethical decisions that lead to the termination of many talented technicians and parts personnel. Rush pays great (with proper negotiations) and has a good benefits package to offer. My only warnings to a person looking to make a good career choice is to beware that Rush is not loyal to their employees no matter how talented or profitable you may be for the company. The management within Rush needs major reconstruction before I could ever give them a better review.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Extremely unethical and biased...welcome back to high school
Fast paced environment
Warranty Administrator (Current Employee) –  Buda, TXApril 25, 2016
Fast paced environment. Must be able to multi-task. I got to work with a diverse group of employees and customers. I've learned many valuable skills while working for this company and have been provided many great opportunities.
Overall a Positive Experience
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXApril 19, 2016
Rush is not the most competitive with salary or benefits, but for such a large company it still feels relatively small fostering a positive work culture with access to high level execs which provides experiences that may make up for some of the lack of competitivness in compensation. A good place to start a career and a good place to end a career if you are brought in at a high level position. Not a great place to stay for advancing your career as upward mobility in many corporate departments is extremely limited. Leadership is passionate about what they do, and the environment is pretty laid back and flexible in most departments for salaried employees which is also a benefit you may not find at other companies
Pros
Leadership, Flexibility, Challenging
Cons
Compensation, Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rush Enterprises. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9