Rush University Medical Center

Rush University Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Work training and experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 16, 2016
I have worked with Rush for 3 years and when I was hired I came with EPIC experience. I highly suggest that when people get hired with this company with no prior EPIC experience really pay attention in the EPIC training class for basics and the rest will be on the job but dont rely only on the job. Its a fast paced work environment and something I really enjoyed. If youre not friendly your co-workers will not like you, If you talk to much about your personal life it will conflict with work life and the doctors will not like you. MAs here need to stay on top of their game and really know what they are talking about and thats is worth gold!
Pros
1 hour lunches, productive work environment
Cons
excessive chit chat, changing management
Great organization
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2016
Rush is a great company to grow and start your career. Employees appreciate coming to work and helping the community around them. The only recommendation I have for the hospital is to listen to employees more and work on the culture .
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Rush University is an exciting place to work
Operations Manager Outpatient Psychiatry (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2016
I cant' say enough about Rush and the culture of inclusion fostered there. Every employee has the opportunity to better themselves, their careers and their life. Rush offers classes free of charge to help you become more proficient at your job. They also afford people the opportunity to advance their careers. I found Rush to be dynamic, exciting AND nurturing.
Neurology plays favoritism
Clinic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2015
Management plays favoritism and already knows who they want to promote internally without giving probable candidate who may be more qualified and experienced a fair shot. While coworkers and staff create a very good team and positive environment, management does not. Management are very nit-picky, micro-manage, and inflexible and very set on their ways of doing things. They have, however, have started making positive strides in increasing moral within the department. One of the positives is that if you intern for Neurology, you will attain good exposure to the administrative side to healthcare and will most certainly help you get a job after the internship.
Pros
internship program, good team environment, good benefits
Cons
management is nit-picky, micromanage, inflexible, plays favoritism, no room for growth if you are not in management's radar, salary increases/raises are poor.
Making positive changes for the good of the pateint experience!
Director ROPH Billing & Collections & Refunds (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2015
Overall a typical workday included putting out small fires, attending several meetings and managing the staff while having a major project due at the same time. The hardest part about the job was having enough time to work on all of my deliverables but with some time management skills and a little extra time spent at work, it was completed. I have to say not a day went by where I had not learned something new which was also quite enjoyable. The staff and mid-management teams are great. My peers were very supportive and ccollaborative.
Pros
Autonomy to make decisions, good work/life balance, great benefits and flex time/ability to work from home on ocassion.
Cons
Overlapping meetings, trying to be two places at once, and the cost of parking was a bit expensive. Employee engagement could have been higher.
Opened Many Opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2016
Graduating college with my undergrad I got a job at Rush University. I was able to edit a college level textbook that focused on Respiratory Care with my boss and the Dean of the College of Health Sciences. I learned how to draw images and charts on Power Point, Microsoft Word, and Excel. I was able to communicate with authors and editors regarding the book.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Did not receive benefits
Dedicated to patient care
Temporary Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2016
I loved working in various departments at Rush University Medical Center. My only complaint is that their budget did not allow them to hire me in a permanent position.

Days were fast paced and always busy. The managers were open and friendly and encouraged thinking outside the box problem solving. All of us knew our work was vital to the hospital system and were dedicated to doing our best.

The hardest part of the job was knowing it was only temporary and I had to leave the department when my contract expired.
Pros
Non-profit organization, pleasant team members, diverse community
Cons
No benefits for temporary workers.
RUMG needs to improve starting with management
Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 5, 2016
RUMG needs a make over starting with management. The department went thru a big change with the guidence of a consulting firm. However management did not change; same people within the in group were promoted. People who tired to advance were turned down. Its sad, such a great institute marked by the negativism of poor management.
Pros
Great coworkers who keep the moral up
Cons
Poor judgement by management
Case Management Coordination of Care including Discharge Planning
Nurse Case Manager-RUMC (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2016
The facility culture has changed over the years, focusing on the business aspect. The company focuses on short hospital stay, with the emphasis of discharge planning. I participated in rounds coordinating care with many physicians, while utilizing my resources to promote an efficient discharge process. Patient transitioned without the probability of readmissions therefore decreasing the potential negative reimbursement.
Pros
autonomy, flexible, friendly environment
Cons
management focuses on bottom dollar, instead of quality of patient care, focus is more so on discharge instead of making sure patient truely ready for discharge
Good work environment with scheduling flexibility
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2016
I have wonderful co-workers who team together to fulfill the obligation of providing excellent care to our patients. The managerial staff are efficient and really care about the employees and the work climate. They go out of their way to insure that we have a work/life balance and the opportunity to express any additional needs to insure employment satisfaction.
Rn
RN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60612April 5, 2016
Rush lives up to its 3 time Magnet status achievements. Nurse to patient ratios are safe and management is supportive of staff. The environment at Rush includes staff commitees that meet regularly with management and upper management so issues are clearly stated and addressed appropriately.
Diverse, Educational Facility
CPR INSTRUCTOR / ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2016
It is a positive working atmosphere at Rush where difference and diversity is accepted and embraced. Employees work in unison and make our patients the priority.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Not many opportunities for advancement
Rush Is a wonderful hospital to work for
Clerical Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2015
The department I work in at Rush allows me to work with all types of people and departments. The best part of my job is to deal with departments and students. The most difficult part of my job has been covering three jobs for a long period of time with out the possibility of advancement and compensation.
Fun place to work.
Customer Service Representative/Radiation Oncology (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
The morning starts off busy. Greeting and checking in patients.
Working with cancer patients I've learned compassion.
management should identify the skills that job role require.
co-workers team players
finding out that a patient has passed
Making the patient feel like they are family and at home.
Pros
Parking, when weather is bad, I can park and go through hospital.
Cons
Cafeteria is over priced for employees.
This was my dream job as my mother was employed as a nurse at RUMC
Complex Case Manager, Utilization Management (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2016
Worked a 12 hour + day, Complex caseload, Learned a lot and was challenged, Part of a Nationally Ranked Team For Ortho, Great coworkers, Amazing and supportive supervisor, Called patients preoperatively, Most enjoyable was working with multidisciplinary team, Hardest part is leaving for the night when there so much that can be done
Busy and productive work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2016
My co-workers were very helpful and friendly. My boss had enough funding to support me throughout the time I worked there. I learned useful skills there. However, Rush is a relatively small place for research. The facilities and specialized technical support need to be improved.
A great place to work
Case Management Liaison/Supplemental Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 24, 2015
The first thing one will learn about Rush University Medical Center is that it has many employees that have been there anywhere between 20 - 40 years. My experience is that it has been such a warm, family oriented environment, dedicated to providing the absolute best patient care. It is a great place to work and build a career.
Ran the acute side of the pain management services
Nurse Clinician II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2016
I was responsible for managing all the post-operative patients that had PCAs or epidurals. I was autonomous and functioned on my own on the PM shift. I liked making sure patients had their pain controlled and I would "tuck them in at night".
Too much work, not enough staff
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2016
Expectations are ridiculously high. Staffing is always terrible because of the revolving door. Management is terrible. You don't have a voice and management never backs you up.
Pros
Great place to learn different therapies
Cons
Not good for new grads
Excellent healthcare institution that has provided me with growth and opportunity.
Department Administrator, General Surgery (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2016
Challenging and diverse work environment. Opportunity for growth. Committed co-workers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the varying aspects of the job that utilize many skill sets. Ability to work with co-workers across the institution.
Pros
Opportunities for growth.

Rush University Medical Center Reviews by Location