Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Employee Reviews

CSO
Campus Security Officer (Current Employee), Newark, NJJune 4, 2015
A typical day at work would be clocking in and grabbing a radio for patrol. Once you do that you will report to your post and patrol that area until your shift is over. Sometimes there can be a lot of standing even if its in cold or rainy weather. My coworkers are great to work with.
Fun and great experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 4, 2015
Pros: very fun experience
Cons: too short
It's a summer inter position, working with high school students and the professors. This job also gave me the opportunity to learn more about the geographical. It was a fun experience since we had so many outdoor schedules and interesting labs. Working as a professor assistant improved mine communication and organization skills.
Great employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJMarch 18, 2015
The employees were great, pay fair, I enjoyed learning new aspects of each position.
If I resided in New Jersey and had the opportunity to return, I most certainly would.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), NJJanuary 23, 2015
I like to study and work there
and it has really good environment.
Recreation Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: flexibility
Great place to work during school
Answer phones
Create new sign ups for recreation
Staff meetings
The flexibility of working at this location while attending classes was the main selling feature. Ability to gain additional hours over breaks was also very important and helpful.
Work Summary
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJJanuary 3, 2015
Project I Overview: A new rapid, quantitative and contactless method for the electrical characterization of 1D nanomaterials has been developed.
• Designed and built the microfluidic experimental setup and electrodes were fabricated via photolithography.
• Different fabrication techniques have been utilized to synthesize various types of nanowires/nanotubes including chemical vapor deposition and metal-assisted chemical-etching.
• Electric field manipulation and alignment of various 1D nanomaterials (Si, Ag, TiO2, Al2O3 nanowires, single/multi-walled carbon nanotubes, etc.) was achieved and observed via optical microscopy.
• Various material characterization techniques were utilized to validate the developed method including SEM, TEM, 4-point-probe STM
Project II Overview: Developed a new, scalable post-growth method to fabricate vertically aligned carbon-nanotube/polymer composite membranes to be used as highly-breathable chemical threat responsive military fabric.
• For the first time, combination of alternating and direct current electric fields have been successfully demonstrated to align and concentrate carbon-nanotubes (CNTs) in polymer solution.
• VACNT/polymer composite membranes have been fabricated with the densities approaching to the CVD fabrication method.
• A new approach to cure thin polymer membranes (5-8 µm) via laser have been developed and combined with designed microfluidic device to even further increase vertically aligned CNTs in polymer composites.
Project III Overview: Automatic electrical characterization and sorting of 1D nanomaterials has been achieved by implementing the developed electrical characterization method into a microfluidic device.
• I have eliminated the slow and laborious microfabrication steps by using a simple craft-cutter.
• Automation of the sorting process and image recognition of nanowires has been achieved by the developed LabVIEW program.
effective work culture close like family
Office of University and Community Partnerships (Current Employee), Newark, NJNovember 24, 2014
Pros: convenient to campus where i reside and attend classes
Cons: promotions are reserved for graduate students
We work as a team often alternating roles
Learn how to patiently assist a diverse group of people
Management is strict about punctuality but are not insensitive
Co-workers are friendly and generous
The most difficult part is providing information for which we don't have the resources but the internet serves as a great alternative source
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing relief and solutions for visitors and students with problems
Standard academia culture - laid back and slow to get things done.
Web Designer/Developer (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: working with talented people everyday including upper management. laid back atmosphere.
Cons: low pay and little to no benefits.
My typical workday includes receiving tasks through email. Sending the completed tasks to be reviewed by staff which takes days but usually weeks to get any feedback. I learned that working within a big state university such as Rutgers you can expect changes and projects to be completed very slowly. Management has been great in giving encouragement and support. Co-workers are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is getting tasks done in a timely manner (waiting for others to complete theirs in order to go forward with yours). The most enjoyable part of the job is working with different people from diverse backgrounds professionally and personally.
Wonderful University
Director (Current Employee), New Brunswick, NJAugust 11, 2014
Rutgers provides the ability to constantly evolve and grow professional due to the unprecedented situations that arise on a daily basis. In such an environment, one is able to be challenged, gain experience and expertise, and rise to the occasion in solving both simple and complex situations.
Office always filed with Students
Student Assistant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJuly 24, 2014
Typical day working at ODASIS was busy and having something to do all the time. I learned to manage a lot of information and worked on my personable skills. Management was good and always had me busy. Co-workers were other students. Hardest part was getting in contact with some of the students while the most enjoyable part was seeing how the ODASIS program worked behind the scenes.
Good
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJune 29, 2014
Good work place, learned a lot regarding techniques and laboratory skills. Techniques involved maintaining microbial cultures, and developing and designing protocols.
Avoid UCHC
Nurse (Former Employee), AvenelApril 27, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: racism you know the demographics
Racist management masquerading as caregivers. I was terminated because i returned from Family Leave, a day after the sandy storm, a state of emergency. I'm fighting to keep my life together amiss the racism. The union is not your brother. They played the dummy game, wicked, nosey, self adsorbed people, high high turn over
Great work environment with staff that wants Undergraudate Students to get a hand on experience in laboratory research work
Undergraduate Lab Researcher, Swarm Laboratory (Current Employee), Newark, NJMarch 21, 2014
I would help set up experiments for working with slime mold in different environment to see how they interact.
I am starting research with ants and put them into different terrains to see which path of least resistance they would take.
Avoid UCHC
LPN (Current Employee), UCHCMarch 5, 2014
Pros: benefits package
Cons: culture
While Rutgers University might be a decent employer, UCHC should be avoided.
Chemistry Grad Student
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJMarch 3, 2014
Life is typical of a graduate student in the sciences. Work very hard to get degree but compensation is much better then any other comparable school/program.
Good place to work. Hours, time off, benefits.
ASSOCIATE PROGRAM MANAGER, (Current Employee), PrincetonJanuary 21, 2014
Good place to work. Hours, time off, benefits. Hard to move from department to department. Not a lot of room for growth.
Working at rutgers as a student was great
Head TA for Honors Organic Chemistry (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJOctober 15, 2013
A highly motivated Ph.D. candidate in organic chemistry with experience in small molecule synthesis, asymmetric catalysis, and synthetic methods development. Possesses strong communication and leadership skills and thrives in a team atmosphere.
for graduate students, its great
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJSeptember 4, 2013
Rutgers is a great environment for graduate studies: A top research institution with many great professors who are willing to share their knowledge and skills.
Convenient and Easy Going atmosphere
Computer Lab Consultant (Current Employee), Newark, NJAugust 19, 2013
When I arrive to the job site, I have to punch in and my shift begins. I walk around make sure all computers, printers, and other machines. Then I return to my work station, make sure everything is in order there. Then I'm required to conduct an hourly headcount of all patrons in the Lab. I've learned that there are all types of people and people learn at different levels. And teamwork is one of the most important aspects when working in this environment. The hardest part of the job is probably when the lab gets busy and you are the only person working there, and plenty of people have inquiries. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you help a person accomplish a task that may have seemed impossible. Its that moment when they sigh their sigh of relief that makes the job worthwhile.
Great Diversity
Intellectual Property Legal Assistant (Current Employee), Somerset, NJJuly 26, 2013
The University I work for has recently been merged as of July 2013 with Rutgers, so there is not enough information that I can give at this point and time.

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Salaries