Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey Employee Reviews

Research assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 21, 2017
Working as a researcher is one of the best experiences I have had. I have learned to interact more with adults couples and to get involved in making more enhancements in costumer services. The colleagues are excellent students to work with because we can really communicate. The hardest part might be the long period of time to interview each couple because it they can get bored or not engaged. I enjoy to be able to see how each couples are so different and still they work it out to stay together.
Pros
flexible times
Cons
Not often interviews
Place to learn to communicate
Rutgers University Newark, NJ - Office worker (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day consisted of me taking about 20 calls a day, creating schedules and itineraries for trips the program took their children on. I'd organize paper work into their appropriate files. I learned how to take calls and speak to many types of people. I learned to be patient and to make spreadsheets. I've learned to work quickly and type efficiently. The management was great easy to work with and work around availability. The workplace culture is fun, convivial, and professional. The hardest part of the job was the amount of paperwork to file, which wasn't hard per say, just tedious. The most enjoyable of the job was the chance to go on trips with the scholars or students.
Fun job if you're a part-time lecturer and don't depend on the pay
Part-time Lecturer (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 3, 2017
I had a lot of fun teaching part-time. The students were engaging and bright. There is no guarantee of future employment. If you're dependent on the pay, this is not a good job, especially if you're only teaching one class.
Very Fun Place to Work
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 22, 2016
Working at Rutgers as Event Staff makes sure that your body and mind are always fit. Sometimes the setups can be daunting but viewing the finished product and the costumers approval on said product is all that one can ask for. This job also helps with problem solving in consumer relations in case there has to be last minute adjustments for the future. If a student was picking a job at Rutgers, I would recommend working there.
Great place with fantastic people
Study Group Leader (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 9, 2016
The co-workers were fantastic and always willing to cover for me if I ever needed it. The most enjoyable part was seeing the students grow as the semester progresses and when they finally grasped difficult concepts. Very rewarding.
Pros
Paid for all work, readings, meetings etc
Refeshing
Volunteering during Open Houses (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 18, 2015
The TRIO program is refreshingly giving and t allows people to experience giving in a whole new light. It allows one to pass on one's knowledge and make someone else's life better, if even slightly.
Pros
fulfillment
Cons
not enough time
Felxibilty
Paul Robeson Campus Center, Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 18, 2015
My job at Rutgers University is the most flexible job i've ever had. i works well with my schedule while also allowing me to gain experience and skills.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not enough hours, salary
Fun experience
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  New BrunswickAugust 12, 2015
I worked at the Rutgers' Library for 4 years during college. I enjoyed working there, and learned a lot about customer service. I met a lot of people with different backgrounds; it was very diverse.
Great place to grow.
Science Lab manager (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 4, 2015
Through my years at Rutgers, I experienced nothing but support in advancing my career through education. While working Full Time in a scientific research lab, I was able to complete my Master's Degree. In the lab itself, I was able to learn different techniques that helped to strengthen my foundation.
Pros
flexible schedule, state benefits
Cons
low wages
Great work life balance, tough for career growth
Senior Accountant, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 9, 2015
Programs and university life is great. Management and systems are behind the times. They are in transition. If you are a young person looking to grow, it will take a very long time.
Productive Workplace
Unit Administrator/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 17, 2015
I enjoy working for Rutgers University. I work on projects independently, as well as with various team members. I have learned how to prioritize my workload and manage time while working on more than project at a time.
Cso
Campus Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 4, 2015
A typical day at work would be clocking in and grabbing a radio for patrol. Once you do that you will report to your post and patrol that area until your shift is over. Sometimes there can be a lot of standing even if its in cold or rainy weather. My coworkers are great to work with.
Fun and great experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 4, 2015
It's a summer inter position, working with high school students and the professors. This job also gave me the opportunity to learn more about the geographical. It was a fun experience since we had so many outdoor schedules and interesting labs. Working as a professor assistant improved mine communication and organization skills.
Pros
very fun experience
Cons
too short
Great employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 18, 2015
The employees were great, pay fair, I enjoyed learning new aspects of each position.
If I resided in New Jersey and had the opportunity to return, I most certainly would.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 23, 2015
I like to study and work there
and it has really good environment.
Recreation Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 16, 2015
Great place to work during school
Answer phones
Create new sign ups for recreation
Staff meetings
The flexibility of working at this location while attending classes was the main selling feature. Ability to gain additional hours over breaks was also very important and helpful.
Pros
Flexibility
Work Summary
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 3, 2015
Project I Overview: A new rapid, quantitative and contactless method for the electrical characterization of 1D nanomaterials has been developed.
• Designed and built the microfluidic experimental setup and electrodes were fabricated via photolithography.
• Different fabrication techniques have been utilized to synthesize various types of nanowires/nanotubes including chemical vapor deposition and metal-assisted chemical-etching.
• Electric field manipulation and alignment of various 1D nanomaterials (Si, Ag, TiO2, Al2O3 nanowires, single/multi-walled carbon nanotubes, etc.) was achieved and observed via optical microscopy.
• Various material characterization techniques were utilized to validate the developed method including SEM, TEM, 4-point-probe STM
Project II Overview: Developed a new, scalable post-growth method to fabricate vertically aligned carbon-nanotube/polymer composite membranes to be used as highly-breathable chemical threat responsive military fabric.
• For the first time, combination of alternating and direct current electric fields have been successfully demonstrated to align and concentrate carbon-nanotubes (CNTs) in polymer solution.
• VACNT/polymer composite membranes have been fabricated with the densities approaching to the CVD fabrication method.
• A new approach to cure thin polymer membranes (5-8 µm) via laser have been developed and combined with designed microfluidic device to even further increase vertically aligned CNTs in polymer composites.
Project III Overview: Automatic electrical characterization and sorting of 1D nanomaterials
  more... has been achieved by implementing the developed electrical characterization method into a microfluidic device.
• I have eliminated the slow and laborious microfabrication steps by using a simple craft-cutter.
• Automation of the sorting process and image recognition of nanowires has been achieved by the developed LabVIEW program.
effective work culture close like family
Office of University and Community Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 24, 2014
We work as a team often alternating roles
Learn how to patiently assist a diverse group of people
Management is strict about punctuality but are not insensitive
Co-workers are friendly and generous
The most difficult part is providing information for which we don't have the resources but the internet serves as a great alternative source
The most enjoyable part of the job is providing relief and solutions for visitors and students with problems
Pros
convenient to campus where i reside and attend classes
Cons
promotions are reserved for graduate students
Standard academia culture - laid back and slow to get things done.
Web Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 1, 2014
My typical workday includes receiving tasks through email. Sending the completed tasks to be reviewed by staff which takes days but usually weeks to get any feedback. I learned that working within a big state university such as Rutgers you can expect changes and projects to be completed very slowly. Management has been great in giving encouragement and support. Co-workers are easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job is getting tasks done in a timely manner (waiting for others to complete theirs in order to go forward with yours). The most enjoyable part of the job is working with different people from diverse backgrounds professionally and personally.
Pros
Working with talented people everyday including upper management. Laid back atmosphere.
Cons
Low pay and little to no benefits.
Wonderful University
Director (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 11, 2014
Rutgers provides the ability to constantly evolve and grow professional due to the unprecedented situations that arise on a daily basis. In such an environment, one is able to be challenged, gain experience and expertise, and rise to the occasion in solving both simple and complex situations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2