Rutgers University Employee Reviews

Education Workplace
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 23, 2017
Great benefits and work environment. PTO is great get plenty hours of sick and vacation time. Management can be better but there is effort. No complaints
Pros
Pto
Cons
Forced overtime
Valuable experience
Intern- Rutgers Future Scholars (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 22, 2017
Although working for a large university was stressful, I developed valuable skills in management and communication during my time there. I would definitely take another position there!
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 21, 2017
Rutgers is a great place to work with awesome faculty and staff. Everyone is welcoming and helpful and you receive enough support to do your job well. Superb work culture!
Rutgers creates lasting memories for both the worker/student on the banks of the Raritan.
Dining Services (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 20, 2017
a great place to get in shape for future endeavors. Opportunities avail when patience accompany's training. However it sometimes helps illustrate sloth.
Pros
work experience and expectations and opportunities
Cons
economic challenge sometimes associated.
friendly company
Payroll clerk (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 12, 2017
A typical day at work was take payments answer anyone questions that came in. and also hand out customer checks. The hardest part of the jon was telling customers that there check was not avialble yet . The most enjoyable part of the job was putting a smile on a customer face.
fun work place
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 9, 2017
I loved my time working at Rutgers aside from having to stand for long hours. I loved the people that I worked with and the managers were pretty cool too.
Pros
good company
Cons
standing for a long time
fun workplace
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 9, 2017
a typical day at work is all based around the customers we usually work off o\f customers requests. not really a stressful situation, the hardest part about the job would probably be getting the orders of the customers wrong, which causes some confusion but other than that, the job is relatively easy.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Fun place to work for !
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 8, 2017
Working for Rutgers is amazing! The campus is beautiful, the location is very convenient (there is a NJ Transit train very close). The positions themselves are well paid and the co-workers are very professional, knowledgeable and courteous! What a great place to work in ! I recommend it highly !!!
Pros
Gym, movies, attractions, culture, connections, learning activities for the entire family
Cons
The campuses are huge. Transportation among the campuses takes time !
Productive, supportive and informative
Tutor Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 7, 2017
Allow me to teach others how to be a leader. A typical day at work would be to supervise tutors, contact professors or students who would be interested in tutoring one on one or big groups of students who are eager to learn
A very large and diverse organization
Associate Dean, Mason Gross School of the Arts (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 7, 2017
Rutgers is on the cusp of something big. It is at the point where it is about to get out of its own way and make its name in the Big 10. It has 65,000 students. It is one of the most diverse institutions of its kind in the country. It has an exemplary faculty, who are doing ground-breaking research. It is an institution where anyone would be proud to be there.
it wasn't very good to work for.
Computer Lab and Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 7, 2017
Doing the boss' work. Not to do the boss' work. it was a wonderful atmosphere of people. Doing the boss' work. Being with the other people that worked there.
Pros
Being with the people
Cons
Doing the boss' work.
good
Part Time Employee (Former Employee) –  new jerseyJune 6, 2017
good place, lot of opportunities for training, compared to other part time jobs good salary. students are good, willing to learn, library is very good, all journals and data bases are there
Research Institution
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 6, 2017
Rutgers is a tier-1 northeast research university with a wide variety of opportunities for graduate students. Faculty and doctoral student employees are unionized at Rutgers, which is vital to their ability to negotiate salary and benefits.
Excellent working environment
Student Athletic Therapist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 5, 2017
Completed a 4 week clinical rotation in the Rutgers Newark University Athletic Training room as part of year 4 BSc Sports Rehabilitation and Athletic Therapy year 4. Worked with a variety of athletes from diverse backgrounds. Gained experience in applying my clinical skill set including assessment, diagnostic and rehabilitation skills. Performed pre-season screening including SCAT-3 baselines. Worked pitchside for basketball, volleyball and baseball games. Integrated well into this Division 3 Athletics University training room.
Pros
experience, fun place
Cons
travel expenses, dangerous city
School/Work/Life
SAS IT Support (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 1, 2017
The job varied between each day. Sometimes you have a lot of work orders to manage and had to solve the issues by yourself. Other times you had help, maybe even 2 man jobs. Most of the times if you didnt know what to do, the manager would have known what to do. I'd say overall it was a good job.
Great Place to earn job skills!
Animal Handler (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 1, 2017
Most places hire you if you have work experience only, Rutgers hires you even if you don't. You are not competing with anyone, all you need to do is talk to the person posting a job and they are willing to take you. It's only for students of course.
Pros
earn new skills, understanding when there are exams.
Cons
minimum wage
A Typical Day at Work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 1, 2017
It was a manageable job. The student would come in with their work for the week or continue working on the paper from the previous week. The tutor and I would review the paper and work on any issues that were found or wanted improvement on.
Ability to learn in various environments
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 30, 2017
One of the things I liked about Rutgers is that I had a lot of time to think on my own and had creative freedoms that I would not have at a corporate setting. I also had the ability to work on different equipment and learn new methods if I wanted to
Pros
Always learning
Cons
Pay
I was a Student worker.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMay 30, 2017
I was a student worker and it was great there. The job was easy and school came first. Pay was good for the job. Staff and management were great for the most part.
Undergraduate research experiance
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 30, 2017
Plenty of opportunities for research and personal and professional growth. Some departments are more flexible with your role and what you want to do. However, with more flexibility sometimes comes more disorganization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3