Rutgers University Employee Reviews in United States

Micromanagement
Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 22, 2016
Working for Rutgers in general is really great. Benefits and salary is very competitive. However, the new leadership in the Graduate medical education department make it very difficult for employee to love their job. Other people are getting all the credits for the work that you did and get often paid out of title pay for work they didn't do.
A good place to work
Head accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 4, 2016
I'm grateful for my time at Rutgers University. My position was not just accounting or counting money but also being to able to help students and parents in difficult situations. That was my greatest satisfaction.
Pros
Hour lunches, excellent benefits
Cons
Work flow was not smooth
Productive and diverse work environment
Lead Public Health Representative (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 22, 2016
Rutgers is a reputable company to be a part of. It provides good benefits and many opportunity for growth in various areas of interest. A typical day at Rutgers is research driven that involves interacting with patients and conducting data collection.
Extremely Competitive
Offensive Line Assistant/Special Teams Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJApril 5, 2016
Extremely intense environment. Learn to work on edge. Management works with incredible leadership. Co-Workers are very competitive and intense. Very long hours and lots of travel and time away from home with no days off from August until December. Rewarding to work with kids.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
18 Hour Work Days
No chance to advance
Former staff (Former Employee) –  New BrunswickOctober 6, 2015
Leadership is not interested in anyone lower on the chain. Management who abuse their staff are never disciplined. Great health benefits, but salary increases are rare. Promotions depend on which department you are in. They have no respect for long-term employees. They regularly push out longer-serving staff to hire new people.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Management, no room to advance
Mentoring children
Supervisor of Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 2, 2016
I enjoyed interning at the boys and girls club, it was a great experience. I loved helping the children with there homework. They were always happy to see me. I got a long with the staff very well. They even notice how much the children loved me. It taught me a lot about myself. I found out I wanted to be a social worker more than anything. These children go through so much at home and they always need someone to talk to and I was there for them. I managed five to six children at once. The hardest part was working with children who had behavioral problems for the first time was tough. Once you get to know them it becomes easier.
Pros
Seeing the faces of the children light up when they see you
Cons
I only interned there once a week, I wish I could have interned there five days a week.
Mental Health Clinician
Mental Health Clinician III (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 16, 2016
I loved the work that I did and the children I served as this proved to be very rewarding. Much to learn and grow as a clinician and the team atmosphere makes going to work feel like being a part of a family. However, management is poor as there is a lack of communication and job responsibilities are continuously added to clinicians without enough time in the week to complete. There is not much support provided and there is also no room for advancement or salary compensation.
Pros
Working with children, team atmosphere, lots to learn and grow as a clinician
Cons
poor management, added job responsibilities without enough time in the week to complete, no room for advancement and no salary compensation.
Very busy and always something to do.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJAugust 31, 2015
My days were always quiet in the beginning and got crazier as the day went on. I learned a lot more about people and the way a University works. I really enjoyed my co-workers, they were awesome people to work with. The hardest part of the job was leaving work. I really loved working at Rutgers-Camden University. Working with staff and students and becoming part of the University scene was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Paid Holidays, benefits, use of university facilities
University workplace, fairly casual for student tutor employees
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 12, 2016
As a writing tutor in one of Rutgers University's writing centers, it was easy to balance the schedule of the tutoring sessions, part-time work, with my studies. I learned how to help students create coherent arguments supported by the texts they were studying. Peer tutors do get support from management, my co-workers were great, and both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was actually working with students on how to improve their own writing, without me just picking up a red pen and proofreading.
Pros
Choose your own schedule, earn some extra cash
Great place to advance
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJOctober 5, 2015
A job at a university means free education, great benefits and tremendous opportunity to move to a huge varieties of positions. Leaving this job was a big mistake.
Pros
Benefits and advancements
Cons
None that I can think of.
A very good work environment with good management.
health care case manager (Former Employee) –  bayonneSeptember 10, 2015
Great work place. Very organized. professional colleagues. Enjoyed going for lunch together. The management is awesome. They listen and act on your concerns. The job is easy to learn due to support and organization. i never felt overwhelmed by my work.
Pros
great benefits
Rutgers Is give and take
Cashier/Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 4, 2016
While Rutgers can be give and take it is usually good with getting a job on campus and there are not too many hoops to jump through to get a job that is right for you that is flexible, Pay could be better on average but is fair.
Productive, fast-paced work environment
CLERK (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJ 08901June 24, 2016
I am a clerical staff member who works under my supervisor, an assistant to honorary faculty, as well as with the senior executive associate who coordinates strategic project management and provides administrative support as well. It ranges from inventory and date entry to filling in for my other supervisor in task force meetings. It teaches about time management and organizational skills.
Rewarding Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 19, 2016
The ability to interact with students and help them understand their mistakes and guide them on the correct path is very rewarding. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing you guided a student to the correct answer. I gained communication skills through interacting with students. Also, I obtained responsibility through handling the workload that comes with being a teaching assistant.
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 15, 2016
The schedule was entirely flexible. I learned to manage undergraduate students. My supervisors, generally speaking, were very understanding and compassionate. My coworkers were also great. The hardest part of the job was catching up on new course material in time to teach it to undergraduates. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting good feedback from students and supervisors.
Inspirong and enhancing
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 31, 2016
I am involved in the research of investigating synthesis methods, of formation of biopolymer hydrogel particles, by cross-linking chitosan and polylysine polymers, having application as water purification adsorbents. Specifically, various substances capable of cross-linking chitosan and polylysine polymers are being examined.

This involves, lab practices/experience, and preparation of adequate lab/research reports, which overall has enhanced my knowledge significantly, in pharmaceuticals.
Pros
wonderful
Welcoming environment
Information assistance (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMay 24, 2016
Coming to work everyday isn't stressful thought. I love working at Rutgers because I feel welcomed and happy. The other employees are very social and are always helping you out. there's a huge team effort and team building. Every other week we have meetings to get closer to one another and also discuss issues that we can handle better and also how we can enhance costumer service.
Pros
flexible hours
Good place
Biotechnology Training Program Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 4, 2016
Really enjoyed the education and training. Many of the professors are supportive if you are willing to put the work in and strive for something better. However, success is mostly up to you. There are few people to guide you on where to go and what to do, and being that the school is so large, you have to be one to seek what fits you best and make the most of it.
Fulfilling and educative
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 22, 2016
The director and everyone in the office made work easy and fun. It was a collegial environment where everyone's opinion mattered. Most importantly, every one was passionate about social justice, advocacy and the passion to serve the voiceless people in the country and outside the country.
Pros
Personable leaders and coworkers
Cons
long commuting
Fun college athletic environment
Assistant to Associate Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 27, 2016
Worked directly under the Associate Athletic Director. We provided exemplary athletic equipment management, kept a high standard for the quality of our facilities and kept everything modern and up to date. We were able to provide a fun environment for our student-athletes as well as the many other employees that worked along side us.

4.3