Rutgers University Employee Reviews

Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 13, 2016
Benefits are great and management is awesome cant think of better place to work at. Everyone is awesome and easy to work with.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Short Breaks
Terrible place
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 12, 2016
This is regarding NJMS specifically. The management here is HORRIBLE. The institution manages to screw everything up since they never address inefficiencies at every level. The smart people leave and the stupid people stay, for 25 years. Employees who try to address improvement get treated poorly and are not supported in their endeavors. Horrible people get away with everything, including the leadership. HR does not address any of this, perpetuating the disfunction of the institution. As soon as you get hired, this becomes obvious when HR doesn't process you correctly or payroll messes up. And then your department probably doesn't have a space for you, and then you realize most employees there have a minimal skill set since they have worked there for 25 years. Oh and one day they will decide to cut your salary retrospectivly and ask for money from the past few months! GET IT TOGETHER NJMS! But, the health benefits are good. That's it, stay away from this place, it's digging it's own grave.
Rutgers does not care about the education of its undergraduate students
Sociology Tutor and Course Coach - Hale Center (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 9, 2016
I received little to no training when sent into a classroom setting. They do not check up on me to see that I am doing my job. They pay graduate students and adjuncts very little money and expect them to teach classes well, while they pay tenured professors very well to teach classes poorly.
Excellent Academic Institution of Higher Learning
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 7, 2016
Rutgers University was established in 1766 making it the sole university in the United States that is a colonial-era college, a Land Grant institution, a public research university, and a member of NCAA Division I athletics program. This low cost, tier-two, public university has a total enrollment exceeding 41,500 students. Rutgers’ main campus, sitting astride the Raritan River in New Brunswick, hosts over 30,000 undergraduate/graduate students and is comprised of five sub-campuses. The university has 14 distinct schools and colleges, and over 175 centers and institutes, and offers more than 120 undergraduate majors and 160 plus graduate degree programs. The college is ranked among the top public universities by U.S. News and World Report. The university accepts students from all 50 states and 115 plus countries. 87% of the student population is New Jersey residents. Gender breakdown equates to 49.5% male and 51.5% are female. Entrance into this school is moderately difficult with the overall acceptance rate being 56% (transfer students were accepted at a rate of 42%). More than 40 % of the entering freshman class ranked in the top ten percent of their high school graduating class, and possessed an average high school GPA of 3.6, with an average SAT score of 1837 - more than 300 points above the New Jersey (1511) and national (1498) mean scores. At the May 2014 commencement, over 9700 students graduated from Rutgers’ flagship campus in New Brunswick. In 2016, Rutgers University will celebrate its 250th anniversary with US Army ROTC marking its centennial on campus.
Pros
Exceptional Faculty & staff
Cons
Large, urban campus
The pursuit of knowledge
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 3, 2016
I work in a research lab at Rutgers. I really enjoy my job.

I work for two different people, so sometimes figuring out who to talk to about topics such as pay or vacation time gets a little complicated, but it's a good office which conducts excellent quality research.

I began working here as a masters student and now work part time post-graduate.
It's about who you know!
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 30, 2016
I loved working in the higher education environment and had great networking and relations with the campus community. However, I had to learn everything on my own. I was first level responded for nearly a year in an office that usually had 2 to 4. I was giving the responsibility of training and managing new coworkers without any compensation (we were paid equally). I was giving the lead on multiple projects over my pay grade. One of the higher-ups demanded work outside of job description and told my direct boss to have us do all the work. I didn't mind the work nor doing favors to help the higher-ups but some of the employees including myself were treated poorly and underpaid.
Good place in a tough business
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 16, 2016
Long hours, no time off from August until November/December. No personal, sick, or vacation time. Great to work with kids and other co-workers. Overall a good culture.
Pros
Free food and great facilities
Cons
Hours
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 15, 2016
The schedule was entirely flexible. I learned to manage undergraduate students. My supervisors, generally speaking, were very understanding and compassionate. My coworkers were also great. The hardest part of the job was catching up on new course material in time to teach it to undergraduates. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting good feedback from students and supervisors.
productive fun family events
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 12, 2016
fun on campus, hard work pays off, management is cool, co worker very friendly, hard part was cleaning dormitory rooms, I enjoyed free football games
Very self-motivated workplace
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 9, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working with Rutgers University for it gave me an opportunity to practice marketing and sales skills that i feel would really benefit me in the future.
Great Place to work. Job security. Great benefits. Promotional opportunity. Core hours 9:00 to 3:00. Supportive managers and supervisors.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJAugust 4, 2016
Fulfilling and educative
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 22, 2016
The director and everyone in the office made work easy and fun. It was a collegial environment where everyone's opinion mattered. Most importantly, every one was passionate about social justice, advocacy and the passion to serve the voiceless people in the country and outside the country.
Pros
Personable leaders and coworkers
Cons
long commuting
Rewarding Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 19, 2016
The ability to interact with students and help them understand their mistakes and guide them on the correct path is very rewarding. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing you guided a student to the correct answer. I gained communication skills through interacting with students. Also, I obtained responsibility through handling the workload that comes with being a teaching assistant.
University workplace, fairly casual for student tutor employees
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 12, 2016
As a writing tutor in one of Rutgers University's writing centers, it was easy to balance the schedule of the tutoring sessions, part-time work, with my studies. I learned how to help students create coherent arguments supported by the texts they were studying. Peer tutors do get support from management, my co-workers were great, and both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was actually working with students on how to improve their own writing, without me just picking up a red pen and proofreading.
Pros
Choose your own schedule, earn some extra cash
Animal Facility
Senior Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 11, 2016
Rutgers is a very diverse institution with many different background and cultures. My company was part of a new merge. Management was very good. The best part of the job is working with my co workers. The worst part of the job is working in containment .
Pros
Benefit and good hours
Cons
short staffed
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rutgers, NJJuly 11, 2016
Room for growth and a time for career enhancement. Many resources available for employees. Fun work environment due to colleagues and assistants.
Great environment
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 5, 2016
do not have much to say its a nice new cafe with a lot to offer to the community. Best part of it would have to be the hot food bar.
Good place
Biotechnology Training Program Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 4, 2016
Really enjoyed the education and training. Many of the professors are supportive if you are willing to put the work in and strive for something better. However, success is mostly up to you. There are few people to guide you on where to go and what to do, and being that the school is so large, you have to be one to seek what fits you best and make the most of it.
Mentoring children
Supervisor of Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 2, 2016
I enjoyed interning at the boys and girls club, it was a great experience. I loved helping the children with there homework. They were always happy to see me. I got a long with the staff very well. They even notice how much the children loved me. It taught me a lot about myself. I found out I wanted to be a social worker more than anything. These children go through so much at home and they always need someone to talk to and I was there for them. I managed five to six children at once. The hardest part was working with children who had behavioral problems for the first time was tough. Once you get to know them it becomes easier.
Pros
Seeing the faces of the children light up when they see you
Cons
I only interned there once a week, I wish I could have interned there five days a week.
great school
Student (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 30, 2016
a great school and a great faculty with a great campus
i love the area and its not far to go to
i am happy that i can be apart of it

4.3