Rutgers University Employee Reviews in United States

Good place in a tough business
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 16, 2016
Long hours, no time off from August until November/December. No personal, sick, or vacation time. Great to work with kids and other co-workers. Overall a good culture.
Pros
Free food and great facilities
Cons
Hours
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 15, 2016
The schedule was entirely flexible. I learned to manage undergraduate students. My supervisors, generally speaking, were very understanding and compassionate. My coworkers were also great. The hardest part of the job was catching up on new course material in time to teach it to undergraduates. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting good feedback from students and supervisors.
productive fun family events
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 12, 2016
fun on campus, hard work pays off, management is cool, co worker very friendly, hard part was cleaning dormitory rooms, I enjoyed free football games
Very self-motivated workplace
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 9, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working with Rutgers University for it gave me an opportunity to practice marketing and sales skills that i feel would really benefit me in the future.
Great Place to work. Job security. Great benefits. Promotional opportunity. Core hours 9:00 to 3:00. Supportive managers and supervisors.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJAugust 4, 2016
Fulfilling and educative
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 22, 2016
The director and everyone in the office made work easy and fun. It was a collegial environment where everyone's opinion mattered. Most importantly, every one was passionate about social justice, advocacy and the passion to serve the voiceless people in the country and outside the country.
Pros
Personable leaders and coworkers
Cons
long commuting
Rewarding Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 19, 2016
The ability to interact with students and help them understand their mistakes and guide them on the correct path is very rewarding. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing you guided a student to the correct answer. I gained communication skills through interacting with students. Also, I obtained responsibility through handling the workload that comes with being a teaching assistant.
University workplace, fairly casual for student tutor employees
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 12, 2016
As a writing tutor in one of Rutgers University's writing centers, it was easy to balance the schedule of the tutoring sessions, part-time work, with my studies. I learned how to help students create coherent arguments supported by the texts they were studying. Peer tutors do get support from management, my co-workers were great, and both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was actually working with students on how to improve their own writing, without me just picking up a red pen and proofreading.
Pros
Choose your own schedule, earn some extra cash
Animal Facility
Senior Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 11, 2016
Rutgers is a very diverse institution with many different background and cultures. My company was part of a new merge. Management was very good. The best part of the job is working with my co workers. The worst part of the job is working in containment .
Pros
Benefit and good hours
Cons
short staffed
Productive and fun workplace
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rutgers, NJJuly 11, 2016
Room for growth and a time for career enhancement. Many resources available for employees. Fun work environment due to colleagues and assistants.
Great environment
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 5, 2016
do not have much to say its a nice new cafe with a lot to offer to the community. Best part of it would have to be the hot food bar.
Good place
Biotechnology Training Program Fellow (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 4, 2016
Really enjoyed the education and training. Many of the professors are supportive if you are willing to put the work in and strive for something better. However, success is mostly up to you. There are few people to guide you on where to go and what to do, and being that the school is so large, you have to be one to seek what fits you best and make the most of it.
Mentoring children
Supervisor of Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 2, 2016
I enjoyed interning at the boys and girls club, it was a great experience. I loved helping the children with there homework. They were always happy to see me. I got a long with the staff very well. They even notice how much the children loved me. It taught me a lot about myself. I found out I wanted to be a social worker more than anything. These children go through so much at home and they always need someone to talk to and I was there for them. I managed five to six children at once. The hardest part was working with children who had behavioral problems for the first time was tough. Once you get to know them it becomes easier.
Pros
Seeing the faces of the children light up when they see you
Cons
I only interned there once a week, I wish I could have interned there five days a week.
great school
Student (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 30, 2016
a great school and a great faculty with a great campus
i love the area and its not far to go to
i am happy that i can be apart of it
Growing department with opportunity to explore skills
Graduate Programs Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 30, 2016
Working at Rutgers University is quite enjoyable. There is a lot of freedom to expand and redefine your position. The department is growing quickly and there is a lot of interesting work that would otherwise not be done without the growth.
Excellent
Director (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 26, 2016
Rutgers was an outstanding environment in which to work.
My experience was continually challenged and gave me the opportunity to meet goals and objectives.
Pros
Great academic environment.
Cons
None what so ever.
Productive, fast-paced work environment
CLERK (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJ 08901June 24, 2016
I am a clerical staff member who works under my supervisor, an assistant to honorary faculty, as well as with the senior executive associate who coordinates strategic project management and provides administrative support as well. It ranges from inventory and date entry to filling in for my other supervisor in task force meetings. It teaches about time management and organizational skills.
Mental Health Clinician
Mental Health Clinician III (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 16, 2016
I loved the work that I did and the children I served as this proved to be very rewarding. Much to learn and grow as a clinician and the team atmosphere makes going to work feel like being a part of a family. However, management is poor as there is a lack of communication and job responsibilities are continuously added to clinicians without enough time in the week to complete. There is not much support provided and there is also no room for advancement or salary compensation.
Pros
Working with children, team atmosphere, lots to learn and grow as a clinician
Cons
poor management, added job responsibilities without enough time in the week to complete, no room for advancement and no salary compensation.
Environmental Services
Environmental Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 14, 2016
In addition to classrooms and laboratories, I also clean offices and administrative areas in the school as well as restrooms and hallways. I mop, sweep and vacuum floors.My job also involves pushing a cart and using a ladder to clean walls and vents, along with some lifting.
Productive at Work
Helping Founder (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 12, 2016
A great place to work at. Everyone is super friendly. Tasks are easy to do. Co-workers are great. It is a very relaxed environment. A place where people would enjoy working at.

4.3