Rutgers University Employee Reviews in United States

Extremely Competitive
Offensive Line Assistant/Special Teams Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJApril 5, 2016
Extremely intense environment. Learn to work on edge. Management works with incredible leadership. Co-Workers are very competitive and intense. Very long hours and lots of travel and time away from home with no days off from August until December. Rewarding to work with kids.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
18 Hour Work Days
Micromanagement
Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 22, 2016
Working for Rutgers in general is really great. Benefits and salary is very competitive. However, the new leadership in the Graduate medical education department make it very difficult for employee to love their job. Other people are getting all the credits for the work that you did and get often paid out of title pay for work they didn't do.
No chance to advance
Former staff (Former Employee) –  New BrunswickOctober 6, 2015
Leadership is not interested in anyone lower on the chain. Management who abuse their staff are never disciplined. Great health benefits, but salary increases are rare. Promotions depend on which department you are in. They have no respect for long-term employees. They regularly push out longer-serving staff to hire new people.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Management, no room to advance
Productive and diverse work environment
Lead Public Health Representative (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 22, 2016
Rutgers is a reputable company to be a part of. It provides good benefits and many opportunity for growth in various areas of interest. A typical day at Rutgers is research driven that involves interacting with patients and conducting data collection.
Great place to advance
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJOctober 5, 2015
A job at a university means free education, great benefits and tremendous opportunity to move to a huge varieties of positions. Leaving this job was a big mistake.
Pros
Benefits and advancements
Cons
None that I can think of.
A good place to work
Head accounting clerk (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 4, 2016
I'm grateful for my time at Rutgers University. My position was not just accounting or counting money but also being to able to help students and parents in difficult situations. That was my greatest satisfaction.
Pros
Hour lunches, excellent benefits
Cons
Work flow was not smooth
A very good work environment with good management.
health care case manager (Former Employee) –  bayonneSeptember 10, 2015
Great work place. Very organized. professional colleagues. Enjoyed going for lunch together. The management is awesome. They listen and act on your concerns. The job is easy to learn due to support and organization. i never felt overwhelmed by my work.
Pros
great benefits
Inspirong and enhancing
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 31, 2016
I am involved in the research of investigating synthesis methods, of formation of biopolymer hydrogel particles, by cross-linking chitosan and polylysine polymers, having application as water purification adsorbents. Specifically, various substances capable of cross-linking chitosan and polylysine polymers are being examined.

This involves, lab practices/experience, and preparation of adequate lab/research reports, which overall has enhanced my knowledge significantly, in pharmaceuticals.
Pros
wonderful
Cons
Able to learn and understand new aspects every day
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 5, 2016
I would reach out to many clients on a daily basis to recruit for certain available positions from our customers. Management was always willing and able to help it was a great environment.
Teaching Asst. (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 10, 2015
Potential career growth and very organized. Would recommend applying to opportunities. There is a great work culture.
Welcoming environment
Information assistance (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMay 24, 2016
Coming to work everyday isn't stressful thought. I love working at Rutgers because I feel welcomed and happy. The other employees are very social and are always helping you out. there's a huge team effort and team building. Every other week we have meetings to get closer to one another and also discuss issues that we can handle better and also how we can enhance costumer service.
Pros
flexible hours
Fun college athletic environment
Assistant to Associate Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 27, 2016
Worked directly under the Associate Athletic Director. We provided exemplary athletic equipment management, kept a high standard for the quality of our facilities and kept everything modern and up to date. We were able to provide a fun environment for our student-athletes as well as the many other employees that worked along side us.
Very busy and always something to do.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJAugust 31, 2015
My days were always quiet in the beginning and got crazier as the day went on. I learned a lot more about people and the way a University works. I really enjoyed my co-workers, they were awesome people to work with. The hardest part of the job was leaving work. I really loved working at Rutgers-Camden University. Working with staff and students and becoming part of the University scene was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Paid Holidays, benefits, use of university facilities
Good Student Job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 18, 2016
Planned and organized all University sponsored events. Reviewed, negotiated and prepared event contracts. Managed all aspects in preparation of events, including personnel.
Handled store procurement process, reviewed bids, negotiated contracts, and maintained relationships with vendors and suppliers. Prepared, reviewed and balanced store budget and service agreements. Served as primary liaison with customers.
Rutgers Is give and take
Cashier/Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 4, 2016
While Rutgers can be give and take it is usually good with getting a job on campus and there are not too many hoops to jump through to get a job that is right for you that is flexible, Pay could be better on average but is fair.
It was an experience to be had
TRIO Talent Search East Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 18, 2015
Rutgers University is one of the most diverse places I have ever been to. The sheer number of different ethnicities, races, people is extraordinary and therefore, it taught me to be open-minded and gave me a wonderful opportunity to learn different perspectives. It pushed me to think outside of the box and contemplate scenarios I hadn't beforehand and it was just a n overall enriched experience.
Pros
diversity
Cons
busy schedules
Building Manager
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJuly 10, 2015
Working at Rutgers Campus Center was a great experience. I was able to adapt to different types of situations to assist the clients needs in our building. Being able to see the happiest and satisfaction in our clients was always the highlight of working. The building ran very smoothly with the supervision of our management and also with the contribution that all my coworkers put out. The atmosphere had a relaxed feeling while working with everyone knowing that work is always needed to be done. The hardest part working at the campus center would have been when a problem came up and we were unable to fix the situation because of factors that were out of our limits, such as internal technical issues. I always enjoyed going to work because I enjoyed being around my coworkers and also being able to help others that come into our building.
Strong academic institution with a wealth of opportunities
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 12, 2016
The sky's the limit for those with smart ideas and strong work ethic. Communication between departments could be enhanced but the resources necessary to perform top notice research are well within reach.
Good work environment, student managers a little overzealous.
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJDecember 29, 2015
Good community and had a family closeness. Job requirements were not extraordinary though occasionally demanding. Students were able to become managers and certain ones were very respectful and others were not when the senior managers weren't around. This caused lack of trust among managers and other employees.
Rutgers University
Mason Gross School of the Arts (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 19, 2016
Amazing place to grow and learn, especially in dance. The staff is great along with the dancers you study with. Overall, it is an amazing place to study dance.
Pros
Lots of different styes and techniques of dance.
Cons
None.

4.3