Rutgers University Employee Reviews

great place to work
Senior Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJDecember 11, 2016
Provides a supportive, exciting environment with a lot of potential for personal and professional growth. This is a great place to start your career or join at any time during your professional life. Opportunities are available to enhance your skill set and you meet wonderful people along the way.
Pros
working with and around student population and smart committed professionals and professors
Cons
Interesting and easy going lab environment
Lab Instructor (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 8, 2017
I'm teaching the introduction to experiments that is required for all science and engineering major. Usually I just prepared the set up of the experiments and write up the blackboard. Our course coordinator are easy going since whenever I have a question. He is willing to answer and solve for me. During teaching, I learned how to speak more comfortable in public and how to demonstrate and show what I know to students. Also I learnt the problem solving skills since all kinds of accidents might rise during a lab. The hardest part is to learn how to teach a basic chemistry concept to the student clearly and how to communicate with them. But the part I like most is to talk to the students and help them with the lab. Since it's the best way to practice my oral skills and making more connections to others.
Pros
faculty permit
Cons
stands for a long time
Lab Tech Intern
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, NJFebruary 19, 2017
Worked at a facility off campus and was given a really flexible schedule. I could come in whatever hours I needed to help isolate samples for the director. I had to manage my own time and didn't have anyone looking over me. Everyone in the facility was nice and easy going. Great place to gain experience when working in a lab.
Great
Nutrition Educator (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 9, 2017
Rutgers is a good school where you can excel in many areas to help further your future career. This was a great job where I was able to meet a lot of interesting people but unfortunately bad management led to the downfall of the department where several employees including myself went out to seek new career opportunities.
Productive and less Job stress
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 23, 2017
Working as a teaching Assistant at Rutgers University in the Electrical and Computer Engineering is productive since I get to spread the knowledge to follow students. It is a part time oncampus job. The management is great here and the workplace culture is good.
Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 4, 2017
I am having a great time at Rutgers. The staff is very caring and is ready to provide assistance at any time of the day. But since Rutgers is a state funded university, it pays less.
Small pond
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJOctober 20, 2016
I support the divisional web sites. Create new ones as required.
I have learned to manage WordPress Multi Site maintenance.
The management is territorial and decentralized. Every department has its own IT policies.
Coordination with other IT departments.
UI development.
Pros
Tuition remission for self and kids
Cons
can out grow soon
It's about who you know!
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 30, 2016
I loved working in the higher education environment and had great networking and relations with the campus community. However, I had to learn everything on my own. I was first level responded for nearly a year in an office that usually had 2 to 4. I was giving the responsibility of training and managing new coworkers without any compensation (we were paid equally). I was giving the lead on multiple projects over my pay grade. One of the higher-ups demanded work outside of job description and told my direct boss to have us do all the work. I didn't mind the work nor doing favors to help the higher-ups but some of the employees including myself were treated poorly and underpaid.
learning environment
Lecturer/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJanuary 24, 2017
a great learning and research environment with good friendly faculty and dedicated students. I have done my BA and MA here, and am happy to have become a part of the organization. I consider it the pinnacle of my academic success thus far.
Rutgers does not care about the education of its undergraduate students
Sociology Tutor and Course Coach - Hale Center (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 9, 2016
I received little to no training when sent into a classroom setting. They do not check up on me to see that I am doing my job. They pay graduate students and adjuncts very little money and expect them to teach classes well, while they pay tenured professors very well to teach classes poorly.
Friendly environment to work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, NJFebruary 20, 2017
Rutgers is a great University. I like the way Agricultural Research is conducted by the faculty and staff and I am proud to be part. Since joining Rutgers, I have developed many skills and my attitude to work has changed.
School of Social Work
Field Liaison (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 31, 2016
Great place to work, enjoy working with students and socializing them into the field. Great support and felt like a part of the team. I have had difficulty getting a teaching job but I have been a Field Instructor and Field Liaison. I would love the opportunity to teach here
The pursuit of knowledge
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 3, 2016
I work in a research lab at Rutgers. I really enjoy my job.

I work for two different people, so sometimes figuring out who to talk to about topics such as pay or vacation time gets a little complicated, but it's a good office which conducts excellent quality research.

I began working here as a masters student and now work part time post-graduate.
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 15, 2016
The schedule was entirely flexible. I learned to manage undergraduate students. My supervisors, generally speaking, were very understanding and compassionate. My coworkers were also great. The hardest part of the job was catching up on new course material in time to teach it to undergraduates. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting good feedback from students and supervisors.
Very Informative
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 5, 2016
Working at the Learning and Decision-Making Lab has been and continues to be a very enlightening experience for me. I plan to pursue a Ph.D in cognitive neuroscience and I feel I am getting a head start on a lot of things I will be learning about and applying in my subsequent studies.
Reception
STUDENT ASSISTANT, WRITING CENTER (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 16, 2017
My day at work is pretty nice. I go there and help students get an appointment with the tutor with whom they can get some help. I have to manage the appointments.
Pros
Can use my time and do some homework
productive
Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 25, 2017
very productive and great company to work for. plenty of room for growth. excellent benefits and perks. I enjoy helping people, which this company makes customer service number one priority.
Pros
excellent benefits
Fun Work Place
Data Control Clerk (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 23, 2017
I enjoy working for Rutgers University! Nice environment and friendly co-workers. I work in the cancer epidemiology department I have learn so much about cancer cases and about cancer research.
Innovative work
GIS Analyst, Health Outreach Promotion & Education (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 6, 2017
My first real life on the job experience with a GIS project that I was solely responsible for and had a great supporting environment to learn and contribute
Big School
Construction Management Capstone Project - Student (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 14, 2017
If you like a big school and like to expose yourself to many different culture this school is for you! I really liked this school but wished I had tried harder

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3