Rutgers University Employee Reviews

Mental Health Clinician
Mental Health Clinician III (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 16, 2016
I loved the work that I did and the children I served as this proved to be very rewarding. Much to learn and grow as a clinician and the team atmosphere makes going to work feel like being a part of a family. However, management is poor as there is a lack of communication and job responsibilities are continuously added to clinicians without enough time in the week to complete. There is not much support provided and there is also no room for advancement or salary compensation.
Pros
Working with children, team atmosphere, lots to learn and grow as a clinician
Cons
poor management, added job responsibilities without enough time in the week to complete, no room for advancement and no salary compensation.
Terrible place
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 12, 2016
This is regarding NJMS specifically. The management here is HORRIBLE. The institution manages to screw everything up since they never address inefficiencies at every level. The smart people leave and the stupid people stay, for 25 years. Employees who try to address improvement get treated poorly and are not supported in their endeavors. Horrible people get away with everything, including the leadership. HR does not address any of this, perpetuating the disfunction of the institution. As soon as you get hired, this becomes obvious when HR doesn't process you correctly or payroll messes up. And then your department probably doesn't have a space for you, and then you realize most employees there have a minimal skill set since they have worked there for 25 years. Oh and one day they will decide to cut your salary retrospectivly and ask for money from the past few months! GET IT TOGETHER NJMS! But, the health benefits are good. That's it, stay away from this place, it's digging it's own grave.
It's about who you know!
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 30, 2016
I loved working in the higher education environment and had great networking and relations with the campus community. However, I had to learn everything on my own. I was first level responded for nearly a year in an office that usually had 2 to 4. I was giving the responsibility of training and managing new coworkers without any compensation (we were paid equally). I was giving the lead on multiple projects over my pay grade. One of the higher-ups demanded work outside of job description and told my direct boss to have us do all the work. I didn't mind the work nor doing favors to help the higher-ups but some of the employees including myself were treated poorly and underpaid.
Good place in a tough business
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 16, 2016
Long hours, no time off from August until November/December. No personal, sick, or vacation time. Great to work with kids and other co-workers. Overall a good culture.
Pros
Free food and great facilities
Cons
Hours
Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 13, 2016
Benefits are great and management is awesome cant think of better place to work at. Everyone is awesome and easy to work with.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Short Breaks
great place to work
Senior Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJDecember 11, 2016
Provides a supportive, exciting environment with a lot of potential for personal and professional growth. This is a great place to start your career or join at any time during your professional life. Opportunities are available to enhance your skill set and you meet wonderful people along the way.
Pros
working with and around student population and smart committed professionals and professors
Cons
Great Place to work. Job security. Great benefits. Promotional opportunity. Core hours 9:00 to 3:00. Supportive managers and supervisors.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Brunswick, NJAugust 4, 2016
Animal Facility
Senior Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 11, 2016
Rutgers is a very diverse institution with many different background and cultures. My company was part of a new merge. Management was very good. The best part of the job is working with my co workers. The worst part of the job is working in containment .
Pros
Benefit and good hours
Cons
short staffed
Extremely Competitive
Offensive Line Assistant/Special Teams Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJApril 5, 2016
Extremely intense environment. Learn to work on edge. Management works with incredible leadership. Co-Workers are very competitive and intense. Very long hours and lots of travel and time away from home with no days off from August until December. Rewarding to work with kids.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
18 Hour Work Days
Disappointing experience
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 26, 2016
Worked here for a short period of time . Surprised by little guidance and poor overall communication across departments and department itself. Most days were spend doing paperwork or seeing clients back to back. No time for breaks. Little opportunity to better integrate or get to know any of colleagues as everyone worked alone in their office behind closed doors. Staff appeared skillfull and knowledgeable but overscheduled and spread thin. Little contact with upper management. Suggestions or questions/ concerns were discouraged and reprimanded. Supervision focused on administrative matters and less on clinical issues. Direct supervisor seemed burned out and overcritical. Overall, disappointed and unhappy about my experience. It seemed like it would be a great job opportunity except in my experience I saw that everyone kept their head down, opinions to self and kept working until a better opportunity came along. On a
positive note, I enjoyed working with clients and sought out a better fit.
Pros
Work with clients, most days 9-5, no on- call but different rules may apply to different units
Cons
High risk for burn-out: no or very shorts breaks, poor communication and little guidance from management, inadequate clinical supervision
Awesome place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 5, 2016
Management is phenomenal. Pay is amazing. A typical day consists of dealing with management and students. Hardest part of the job is not being able to help someone in need.
University workplace, fairly casual for student tutor employees
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJuly 12, 2016
As a writing tutor in one of Rutgers University's writing centers, it was easy to balance the schedule of the tutoring sessions, part-time work, with my studies. I learned how to help students create coherent arguments supported by the texts they were studying. Peer tutors do get support from management, my co-workers were great, and both the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job was actually working with students on how to improve their own writing, without me just picking up a red pen and proofreading.
Pros
Choose your own schedule, earn some extra cash
Small pond
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJOctober 20, 2016
I support the divisional web sites. Create new ones as required.
I have learned to manage WordPress Multi Site maintenance.
The management is territorial and decentralized. Every department has its own IT policies.
Coordination with other IT departments.
UI development.
Pros
Tuition remission for self and kids
Cons
can out grow soon
great place to work.
instaler (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 9, 2017
tedious hands on job with lots of opportunity to learn the telecommunications field. great management and co workers, and overall a great place to work.
Pros
great work place
Great workplace
Computer Lab Consultant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJDecember 14, 2016
The staff at the computer labs is awesome, lots of information to take on but training is excellent. Work life balance is great.
Big School
Construction Management Capstone Project - Student (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 14, 2017
If you like a big school and like to expose yourself to many different culture this school is for you! I really liked this school but wished I had tried harder
Nice place to work if you do not have an opinion
Program Coordinator/ Senior Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 10, 2016
the school is great. the upper management is great but the program (project rise) is in disarray and the staff have zero knowledge on how to effectively service the population.
understaffed
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJOctober 18, 2016
Some staff are nice, management could be better, slightly improving, lots of call outs, call outs, call outs with no consequences. Insubordination at times.
Pros
some staff
Cons
low full time pay
RN Clinical Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Thorofare, NJMay 23, 2016
Rutgers is a great place to work. Staff is great. Human Resource and leadership are very helpful and supportive. Benefits are competitive with current market.
Pros
great benefits
Productive, fast-paced work environment
CLERK (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJ 08901June 24, 2016
I am a clerical staff member who works under my supervisor, an assistant to honorary faculty, as well as with the senior executive associate who coordinates strategic project management and provides administrative support as well. It ranges from inventory and date entry to filling in for my other supervisor in task force meetings. It teaches about time management and organizational skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3