Rutgers University

Rutgers University Employer Reviews

Average work environments
Service Worker B/ Cashier (Current Employee), Camden, NJJune 30, 2014
Pros: get to create and learn about different foods and recipes
Cons: meals are deducted out of your check for the kitchen staff and people, personalities can be difficult but manageable, can be hard to get full-time hours
Depending on who you work your day can be productive and fun or long not so productive.
Great experience
Clerical Worker/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJune 30, 2014
Working in the Student Affairs office was great. There was an opportunity to learn about the student leader process.
Wonderful
Event Staff, Student Life - Cook Campus Center (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJJune 25, 2014
Rutgers is a fantastic university. I learned time management, organizational skills and how to behave in a professional environment.
Fast paced food cafe and family oriented environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), piscataway,njJune 24, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
A typical day consists of mostly customer service. For example, taking food orders,organize and stock food product, and cashier.Everyone is nice and helpful to customers. The environment is crowded but inviting. Management is flexible with students who go to class.
In spite of positives, cannot recommend because of bureaucracy and under-qualified supervisory personnel.
Director, Rutgers Food Innovation Center (Former Employee), Bridgeton NJJune 23, 2014
Pros: rewarding contribution to the advancement of the food industry
Cons: inept management
Great opportunity to operate at the leading edge of food technology and innovation. Eclectic clients, processes, categories. Great exposure to the university's faculty with a wealth of scientific insights. Smart and motivated co-workers. Strong learning environment. Work that is both financially and sociologically significant to clients. Extremely bureaucratic. – more... Some senior supervisors are obstacles in their need for power and cluelessness about business best practices and how to lead, resulting in an otherwise unnecessary environment of mixed signals, survival tactics, and CYA. – less
Great Academic Atmosphere with excellent benefits
Laboratory Researcher III (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJJune 20, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, excellent benefits, great co-workers
Working for a State University had certainly had it's benefits. As an employee of the University I had many perks including a profession yet fun atmosphere along with fantastic health benefits.
Researcher (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJJune 20, 2014
It is a great university. I recommend it. Great research deparments
Work- Study Job
Office Secretary (Former Employee), Camden, NJJune 13, 2014
Loved the people I worked with. I got to meet a lot of other people from various departments of Rutgers University. Learned how to better my secretarial skills. Best part was sending out acceptance letters to income freshman and transfer students.
Love Rutgers
Rutgers Dining Services- Student Manager (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJJune 7, 2014
Rutgers University is THAT school and I enjoyed working there for 2 years, I learned a lot in management skills when I was able to work as a student manager in the dining hall.
Rutgers University
Lecturer, Adjunct Professor: Literatures, Writing (Former Employee), Camden, NJJune 4, 2014
Pros: expanding others' thinking as well as my own
Cons: variable schedules, poor pay
I loved teaching -- not a job for the timid! I learned every day from my students. The greatest challenge has been adapting to and, eventually, mastering new technologies, particularly as the technologies went through developmental stages. A typical day could run from 6 A. M. to 10 P.M, due to offsite teaching at the joint base or split hours. The most – more... difficult part of the job was the changing hours from semester to semester, with early morning and late night classes, due to part time status. The most enjoyable part of teaching is the moment where the theater or classroom hushes, where eye contact, or smiles, or head nods show that students are fully engaged in the learning experience -- the Eureka Moment that says, "I get it," Management is really enacted by the professor, with little to no contact with university management. We are assigned a course and it's up to us to make sure that there is a road map to learning. – less
Professional, productive, and fulfilling (plus, fun)
Writing Assistant (Current Employee), Camden, NJJune 3, 2014
Pros: free food, flexible schedule
Cons: no overtime
A typical day includes one-on-one tutoring sessions with undergraduate students in person, and online. I learned how to communicate with many different kinds of students, from many different backgrounds. Writing abilities varied immensely, but I learned to adapt and help students to the best of my abilities. My supervisors were happy to assist students – more... when their needs extended beyond my abilities. Everyone on staff is incredibly talented -- just great to be around. The hardest part of my job is working with students who are learning English for the first time. Probably my greatest moment was when I helped a student get into a very competitive education program in Germany. Together, we wrote an excellent proposal! – less
Good employer for adjuncts
Part-time lecturer (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJMay 28, 2014
Life as an adjunct professor is notoriously stressful and unpredictable, but Rutgers is definitely one of the better employers for this kind of work. Pay is competitive and full-time faculty make an effort to communicate with you and provide feedback on performance. Students are high-quality and enjoyable to teach. Drawbacks are lack of benefits and – more... job security, although the university is currently taking measures to improve on both fronts, e.g. providing retirement accounts and health insurance. – less
Productive, diverse workplace
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJMay 24, 2014
Pros: diversity, great pay
Cons: nepotism
I started working here in 2011, it'll be three years this summer. My co-workers are usually one of two ways: cordial, friendly or they simply stick to themselves. The culture with Rutgers is diverse and changes depending upon the department. I have been grateful to establish great references and resources while being here. At the same time, there are – more... people who say they have your best interest but probably are just covering themselves. There are a select few faculty/staff who are willing to forewarn you about certain departments. The issue with Rutgers is the rules and policies change quite frequently--many times without properly informing staff of the changes we are expected to know. Another concern is hiring staff without any proper training. Overall, the pay is good compared to if I did the same job elsewhere and you are able to attend school tuition free as a regular full time employee. There are other perks to being at the university because you can connect with so many new people on a daily basis. I am now volunteering with the school as well. – less
Some of the Professors all Managers and Supervisors needs a course in understanding diversity
Administrative Assistant and Secretary (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJMay 21, 2014

The good bad and the ugly within people

Management - the people of color whom work for the university feel as if they are subjected to prejudices on a daily

Co-workers, some where hard workers which I sincerely appreciate and others where lazy

Most difficult part of the job was dodging insecure bosses and their inappropriate

Pay check – more... and the job descriptions – less
Enjoyable place to work but seeking new employment to relocate.
Administrative Assistant/Site Administrator (Current Employee), Parsippany, NJMay 19, 2014
Pros: free parking
Cons: benefits are expensive
I enjoy working at Rutgers University because you are constantly learning about new programs and courses within the University and meet a lot of people. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the participants who come in for classes and having dialog with them. They come from many different agencies throughout the state and have diverse backgrounds.
Not a good environment
Director of Dining Services (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 15, 2014
No Comment about Rutgers-Newark, and I would not work there again.
Great Benefits
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), New BrunswickMay 8, 2014
Pros: tuition remission, paid sick, holiday, vac and excellent health insurance
Cons: many changes
Rutgers University is a great place to work, it provides many opportunity to grow in your position with tuition remission. Currently there are many good changes at Rutgers with the merger.Looking forward to these new adventures!
Friendly work environment, conducive for learning
Graduate research assisstant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, New JerseyMay 6, 2014
A memorable experience with excellent learning environment provided by the university.
A Graduate Student working towards Masters Thesis, doing Part-time and looking out for Full time jobs
COURSE GRADER (Current Employee), New JerseyApril 21, 2014
I will be graduating in June/July of 2014. I am currently working towards finishing my Thesis work. I also work as a course grader for Programming methodologies- A masters level course. My job duties are to grade students homeworks and also to take few lectures for them.
I was an Intern at Juniper Networks, Sunnyvale, CA in June-Aug 2013. As an intern – more... I gained an insight about the working of an industry besides developing work skills and technical knowledge.
I am now looking out for challenging/exciting College Graduate jobs related to my field of study. – less
Rutgers' Basketball Camp
Newark Basketball Camp Counselor (Current Employee), Newark, NJApril 21, 2014
My job here was to make sure children improved as basketball players and enjoyed their time at camp. This camp had a very fun and laid-back environment. The most enjoyable part of this job was to see that the children enjoyed themselves at the end of the week.

1 2 3 4 5

About Rutgers University

With major campuses in northern, central, and southern New Jersey and extension offices and activities in all twenty-one counties, – Read more

Rutgers University Photos