Rutgers University Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 5, 2016
Management is phenomenal. Pay is amazing. A typical day consists of dealing with management and students. Hardest part of the job is not being able to help someone in need.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJNovember 28, 2016
Colleagues are really nice to work with. Friendly staff. Paid on time, every two weeks. Flexible working hours. Tough to manage during exams.
This place sucks
Summer Housing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 14, 2016
Barely payed minimum wage. Hated everyone and everything. Unorganized. Surprised they are still in operation. They need a makeover.
Great job, great people, and a great learning opportunity
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJNovember 1, 2016
Worked with some very highly qualified instructors and students who helped with understanding the job and made great instructors and friends.
School of Social Work
Field Liaison (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 31, 2016
Great place to work, enjoy working with students and socializing them into the field. Great support and felt like a part of the team. I have had difficulty getting a teaching job but I have been a Field Instructor and Field Liaison. I would love the opportunity to teach here
Disappointing experience
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 26, 2016
Worked here for a short period of time . Surprised by little guidance and poor overall communication across departments and department itself. Most days were spend doing paperwork or seeing clients back to back. No time for breaks. Little opportunity to better integrate or get to know any of colleagues as everyone worked alone in their office behind closed doors. Staff appeared skillfull and knowledgeable but overscheduled and spread thin. Little contact with upper management. Suggestions or questions/ concerns were discouraged and reprimanded. Supervision focused on administrative matters and less on clinical issues. Direct supervisor seemed burned out and overcritical. Overall, disappointed and unhappy about my experience. It seemed like it would be a great job opportunity except in my experience I saw that everyone kept their head down, opinions to self and kept working until a better opportunity came along. On a
positive note, I enjoyed working with clients and sought out a better fit.
Pros
Work with clients, most days 9-5, no on- call but different rules may apply to different units
Cons
High risk for burn-out: no or very shorts breaks, poor communication and little guidance from management, inadequate clinical supervision
Small pond
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJOctober 20, 2016
I support the divisional web sites. Create new ones as required.
I have learned to manage WordPress Multi Site maintenance.
The management is territorial and decentralized. Every department has its own IT policies.
Coordination with other IT departments.
UI development.
Pros
Tuition remission for self and kids
Cons
can out grow soon
understaffed
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJOctober 18, 2016
Some staff are nice, management could be better, slightly improving, lots of call outs, call outs, call outs with no consequences. Insubordination at times.
Pros
some staff
Cons
low full time pay
Nice place to work if you do not have an opinion
Program Coordinator/ Senior Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 10, 2016
the school is great. the upper management is great but the program (project rise) is in disarray and the staff have zero knowledge on how to effectively service the population.
Very Informative
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJOctober 5, 2016
Working at the Learning and Decision-Making Lab has been and continues to be a very enlightening experience for me. I plan to pursue a Ph.D in cognitive neuroscience and I feel I am getting a head start on a lot of things I will be learning about and applying in my subsequent studies.
Great Place To Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 13, 2016
Benefits are great and management is awesome cant think of better place to work at. Everyone is awesome and easy to work with.
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Short Breaks
Terrible place
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 12, 2016
This is regarding NJMS specifically. The management here is HORRIBLE. The institution manages to screw everything up since they never address inefficiencies at every level. The smart people leave and the stupid people stay, for 25 years. Employees who try to address improvement get treated poorly and are not supported in their endeavors. Horrible people get away with everything, including the leadership. HR does not address any of this, perpetuating the disfunction of the institution. As soon as you get hired, this becomes obvious when HR doesn't process you correctly or payroll messes up. And then your department probably doesn't have a space for you, and then you realize most employees there have a minimal skill set since they have worked there for 25 years. Oh and one day they will decide to cut your salary retrospectivly and ask for money from the past few months! GET IT TOGETHER NJMS! But, the health benefits are good. That's it, stay away from this place, it's digging it's own grave.
Rutgers does not care about the education of its undergraduate students
Sociology Tutor and Course Coach - Hale Center (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 9, 2016
I received little to no training when sent into a classroom setting. They do not check up on me to see that I am doing my job. They pay graduate students and adjuncts very little money and expect them to teach classes well, while they pay tenured professors very well to teach classes poorly.
Excellent Academic Institution of Higher Learning
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 7, 2016
Rutgers University was established in 1766 making it the sole university in the United States that is a colonial-era college, a Land Grant institution, a public research university, and a member of NCAA Division I athletics program. This low cost, tier-two, public university has a total enrollment exceeding 41,500 students. Rutgers’ main campus, sitting astride the Raritan River in New Brunswick, hosts over 30,000 undergraduate/graduate students and is comprised of five sub-campuses. The university has 14 distinct schools and colleges, and over 175 centers and institutes, and offers more than 120 undergraduate majors and 160 plus graduate degree programs. The college is ranked among the top public universities by U.S. News and World Report. The university accepts students from all 50 states and 115 plus countries. 87% of the student population is New Jersey residents. Gender breakdown equates to 49.5% male and 51.5% are female. Entrance into this school is moderately difficult with the overall acceptance rate being 56% (transfer students were accepted at a rate of 42%). More than 40 % of the entering freshman class ranked in the top ten percent of their high school graduating class, and possessed an average high school GPA of 3.6, with an average SAT score of 1837 - more than 300 points above the New Jersey (1511) and national (1498) mean scores. At the May 2014 commencement, over 9700 students graduated from Rutgers’ flagship campus in New Brunswick. In 2016, Rutgers University will celebrate its 250th anniversary with US Army ROTC marking its centennial on campus.
Pros
Exceptional Faculty & staff
Cons
Large, urban campus
The pursuit of knowledge
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJSeptember 3, 2016
I work in a research lab at Rutgers. I really enjoy my job.

I work for two different people, so sometimes figuring out who to talk to about topics such as pay or vacation time gets a little complicated, but it's a good office which conducts excellent quality research.

I began working here as a masters student and now work part time post-graduate.
It's about who you know!
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJAugust 30, 2016
I loved working in the higher education environment and had great networking and relations with the campus community. However, I had to learn everything on my own. I was first level responded for nearly a year in an office that usually had 2 to 4. I was giving the responsibility of training and managing new coworkers without any compensation (we were paid equally). I was giving the lead on multiple projects over my pay grade. One of the higher-ups demanded work outside of job description and told my direct boss to have us do all the work. I didn't mind the work nor doing favors to help the higher-ups but some of the employees including myself were treated poorly and underpaid.
Good place in a tough business
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 16, 2016
Long hours, no time off from August until November/December. No personal, sick, or vacation time. Great to work with kids and other co-workers. Overall a good culture.
Pros
Free food and great facilities
Cons
Hours
Teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 15, 2016
The schedule was entirely flexible. I learned to manage undergraduate students. My supervisors, generally speaking, were very understanding and compassionate. My coworkers were also great. The hardest part of the job was catching up on new course material in time to teach it to undergraduates. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting good feedback from students and supervisors.
productive fun family events
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 12, 2016
fun on campus, hard work pays off, management is cool, co worker very friendly, hard part was cleaning dormitory rooms, I enjoyed free football games
Very self-motivated workplace
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 9, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working with Rutgers University for it gave me an opportunity to practice marketing and sales skills that i feel would really benefit me in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3