Rutgers University Employee Reviews

Great opportunity to teach students not in a STEM major.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Newark, NJJune 1, 2015
Pros: Refreshed my memory on basic things I learned years prior to teaching the lab.
Cons: Too many technical difficulties with the on-hand learning portion of the lab, due to lack of budget.
A typical day at work as a teaching assistant for the lab portion of a Environmental Geology course, would entail in a small lesson on the background of the lab. Being that this lab is a self taught based, – more... it was my job to aid the students having a hard time understanding and completing the lab. Throughout the time that I was at this job, I was able to understand that students will only care about the lesson if you take the time to prove just how relatable it is to them. Whenever it came to a difficult situation that occurred to another teaching assistant, or a relatively common issue that came up in more then once section; management addressed it to the other teaching assistants in a weekly meeting, and as a group we came up with a solution to resolve the issue. Co-workers did a wonderful job in communicating with each other if need be. The hardest part of the job is to see a student truly not care about the course, and I couldn't persuade them the importance of understanding the basics of Earth. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I was able to aid students who didn't understand the course material to the point where they were so interested in the lab that they scored really well in the written portion of the lab. – less
Teacher's Assistant
Assistant (Former Employee), Camden, NJMay 30, 2015
Pros: Learning new technology (WordPress), on campus, after my classes, fit my schedule
I was an assistant to an art history teacher. I helped scan photos for PowerPoint Presentations and helped him clean up the school's new Fine Arts website on WordPress. Sometimes, the teacher wasn't in, so I had time to finish up my school assignments.
Great place to work in the athletic department.
Assistant Track and Field coach (Current Employee), Camden, NJMay 27, 2015
Cons: part time, not enough compensation
Working for Rutgers Camden University is a great place to work. Everyone is alwasy upbeat and ready to lend a helping hand.
Very good school, interesting stuff happening
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJMay 25, 2015
Pros: Big school, lots of opportunity
Cons: Parking, high pressure to produce
Big university, lots of perks. Parking is a nightmare sometimes though. Depends heavily on what department or work function you are a part of.
Opportunity for Professional Development
Program Director- Veteran Business Outreach Center (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 22, 2015
Pros: Free education
Cons: limited job opportunities
Organized, administered and coordinated all activities for the Veterans Business Outreach Center program; directed the planning, preparation, evaluation, and control of communications, events, records, – more... statistics, reports, and documentation.
The most difficult part of my job is counseling a client and realizing that their business idea is invalid after they have spent a considerable amount of money.
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my clients succeed and attain their goals. – less
Challenging and difficult to advance
Program Associate II (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJMay 22, 2015
Many people there are professional and knowledgeable bout nutrition and education, but some people want to run their departments with people they like rather than those who can do the job.
Police Officer Duties and Responsibilities
Police Officer (Former Employee), Newark, NJMay 17, 2015
Provide public assistance, protect persons and property in and about the UMDNJ Newark Campus owned or leased buildings and grounds in accordance with the Department of Public Safety’s rules & regulations and the policy & procedures. Maintain traffic, activity logs, prepare and submit various daily reports.
N/A
Dance Appreciation Online Instructor (Current Employee), New Brunswick, NJMay 15, 2015
I enjoy my students and appreciate my co-workers at Rutgers University. I believe the dance department is a comprehensive conservatory training school for young artist.
Nice Store
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJMay 13, 2015
Taught sewing lessons to customers. Was able to set my own schedule, and choose what I taught to students. Was limited to items that were sold in the store.
Union Employment at University
Environmental Services Employee (Current Employee), Camden, NJMay 12, 2015
A normal day at work consists of custodial/ maintenance work at a college campus. There are various buildings throughout the campus however my primary assignment was in the science building. The management – more... is somewhat laid-back, but can be forgetful at times. The co-workers are a wide ranged assortment of people, but overall very hardworking and down to earth. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the complaints of the professors and teaching staff. Since the work order system isn't very well thought out, it often becomes redundant and unnecessary. The most enjoyable part of the job is the routine tasks and knowing what is expected each day. – less
boring work place
Assistant to the Dean of Students Office (Former Employee), Camden, NJApril 20, 2015
again, very boring. not very fast-paced. there was a lot of work to be done but they were all tedious. my co-workers were fun and interesting but this was not a hard job.
easy going environment
Language Lab Assistant (Former Employee), New Brunswick, NJApril 17, 2015
Worked as a language lab assistant. Helping the professors and students to conduct tests and complete assignments. Someone is always available if you need help and the staff is very helpful and loving.
Rutgers is a great place to work, I look forward to reapply in 3 mths.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Piscataway, NJApril 16, 2015
Daily printing and processing all check requisitions for the university and UMDNJ. Daily filing and follow-up on questionable requisitions.
Great for work study
Clerical Assistant, PALS (Former Employee), Newark, NJApril 11, 2015
Work study was simple and gave me great hours so that I could focus on my school work while keeping a job. I learned how to process data and administer diplomas.
Great place to be
Student Ambassador Leader (Current Employee), Camden, NJApril 1, 2015
Its a very Fun place to be, lots of things are always going on. The atmosphere is wonderful, and the people you meet are friendly.
Very fun, challenging and rewarding enviroment
Resident Assistant (Current Employee), Newark, NJMarch 28, 2015
Working administrative duties and then also helping residents could be a lot to juggle but the environment is excellent.
Great place to work and discover science.
Laboratory Researcher (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJMarch 27, 2015
Pros: extremely good health benefits and retirement options.
Cons: Salary is on lowest range and annual raise in minimal.
Wonderful work place with intelligent people always available for help.
Typical day at work is 9-5 consisting of wet lab protein research, meetings, and conference calls. This place has perfect balance between fun and productivity. Fun loving people doing great science so learning experience becomes enjoyable and interesting.
Great place for work Study
Campus Employee (Former Employee), Camden, NJMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Got to meet new people, study and learn new skills like inventory & placing store orders
Cons: Not enough people to cover shifts if someone calls in sick
Great place to study and work for a few extra $$. You could chat with your friends at work and also play pool when the store was almost empty. My boss is very nice and laid back. Would definitely recommend to work here.
Research Assistant
Research assistant (Current Employee), New Brunswick, njMarch 12, 2015
Pros: Nothing.
Cons: Parking is a fortune, little to no pay
I had two different positions at Rutgers; one in Newark and one in New Brunswick. I worked for months without pay and had to pay for parking every day. The system is so corrupt and nobody cares that you – more... are not getting paid and your entire credit card bill is of parking passes. I waited over two months and still no pay! How could a company hire someone without validating and completing all the paperwork? I am fed up with this entire merger between UMDNJ and Rutgers. The entire school is disorganized and every process is delayed by months. I work like a dog every day and I can't even afford a piece of gum. I am so broke and at my breaking point with this school. I advise all to stay away! – less
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Piscataway, NJMarch 10, 2015
It is a great place to work at with professional co-workers and a supportive management. Was a great learning experience for me.