Ruth's Chris Steak House Employee Reviews

Steak House
Busser (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 18, 2018
You work in a five star restaurant and you have to keep up with the pace of service and turn over or you will become overwhelmed and fail. Good starter job for highschool students or college students.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Very classy and not able to advance easily
Collaborative Environment
Server/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 18, 2018
The company works well with corporate and private functions. They are serious about product knowledge, and strive their best for customer satisfaction.
Cons
inconsistent pay and working hours
fast paced environment with the best in food and drink.
Fine dining server (Current Employee) –  720 Gallatin St. Huntsville, AL 35801January 17, 2018
A typical work day is about 5 hours. The management and overall work culture gives you the ability to confidently navigate the guest's desires to ensure a positive and rewarding dinning experience.
Pros
flexible scheduling and drug free professional environment
Cons
Expect to work every holiday and at nite and on weekends, Full time is 30 hours to receive benefits, which is almost impossible to attain with a 5 day work schedule.
Great
Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLJanuary 17, 2018
Good place to work. Advancement is very easy to obtain. Good stock options and health care. Management is very well trained and the leadership is excellent.
Poor Leadership
Line chef floating between Appetizers (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 10, 2018
Not a bad place, just wasn't for me. I did not agree with the way the management used and talked to the staff. I understand people can be replaced, however if you have one that bring joy and excitment, you don't talk down to them or belittle them.
Exciting place to work
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Is extremely high paced. Most be able to do large volume a la carte cooking on the line. Avarge 150 for dinner Monday through Thursday, 220ppl -350ppl on weekends.
Pros
Fast paced and excitng
Cons
lack of time off
Fast paced and stressful work enviroment, however coworkers make it worth it
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Bonita Springs, FLJanuary 7, 2018
In season, things can become extremely stressful, however management does a great job hiring people that fit into the restaurants culture. Pay could be better. Hardest part of the job was mostly how physically draining a shift could be. Also its the worst to work every single holiday since requesting off for one is very difficult, but I think corporate is to blame. Most enjoyable part was becoming a part of the family there. Everyone cares for one another. Sure things would get heated every now and then, however at the end of the day, it's all love. Also the discount is amazing.
Pros
Employee discount, great staff
Cons
Fast paced, stressful, days can feel like forever, may work 6 or 7 days a week, taking off in season is very difficult
Busy and great co-workers
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2018
A typical work day for me is getting in early to make sure that my station is setup for success for the shift, and helping out others if they need it. Being at Ruth's Chris I have learned teamwork and how to lead others. I am a trainer in my particular station. Management for the most part does exactly what they we hired to do, but sometimes has a hard time coming up with solutions to problems. The work place culture I enjoy from the diverse kitchen staff to the cuisine. The hardest part of my job is finding away to keep my momentum up when the co-workers around began to get down. The most enjoyable part of my job is the pace, because we are typically busy most of the year there is always something to do and always something to learn.
Pros
Family meal, overtime
Cons
no breaks, no competitive healthcare, no real benefits
Very fast paced.
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2018
If you don't enjoy cooking and the restaurant life as a whole; This position is not for you. The B.O.H is very hectic and fast paced. They have a high end menu and dining room. Service must be impecible.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No real lunch break.
It was ok
Fine Dining Serving Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MODecember 26, 2017
Free sodas are nice and all but it's better to have a strong team and a management that seems to actually care. For anyone that isn't a server, they have to work really hard and long hours to not get paid so that should change.
Pros
Free soda and some days you may get food
Cons
bad pay, bad management, hard labor
Long Hours
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 26, 2017
It is expected to work long hours as a restaurant manager. However, it was excessive with Ruth's Chris. The culture we created was great for the hourly employees but the management team was overworked on many levels.
Stressful work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 26, 2017
Extremely stressful work environment . Many other employees were rude and held themselves above others. Worked all holidays and late nights. Opportunity to make good money is there if your willing to deal with environment.
Pros
Discount, large tips
Cons
Stressful
Love what you do, do what you love
Host (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 24, 2017
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse's philosophy is all about being one big happy family, with high but reasonable standards and expectations. I did enjoy working there, I enjoy dressing up [suit and tie for host], I enjoyed working in Boston's Historic Old City Hall, but there were times when my experience with fine dining and the "upper class" level of clientele, clashed with the inexperienced coworkers who have their background in art and landscaping, with no experience in Fine Dining. There were times I had to quickly come to the rescue of my coworkers, and salvage the customers' experience.
I enjoyed the setting, I enjoyed the clientele, I enjoyed sharing my knowledge of the History of the building itself, the city, the surroundings, and conversation with the guests, making them feel more like family than part of the business
Pros
lovely setting, lovely History, delicious food, amazing display, good pay
Cons
Inexperienced coworkers with no experience in the industry, having to play "babysitter" with coworkers, some members of management were unapproachable
Hostess
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2017
Amazing work environment. The company did everything they could to retain their employees. They did not settle for lazy or mediocre employees so if you had a job there you knew you were pretty great.
Thankful to have worked here
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VADecember 16, 2017
I got to appreciate the restaurant I enjoyed so much as kid when my parents took the family there. I learned detail oriented customer service and how to be a better customer service representative.
Great concept that is well recieved
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 15, 2017
Company is starting to become more stable. The CEO seems to be the problem. He needs better management skills. The rm's are over worked. The food is excellent and wine is above average.
Pros
food
Cons
upper management
Was productive
Pantry Cook (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 14, 2017
Nothing much to tell, love it! I had a good experience in BOH and FOH I would like to be part of the time again, because I have more experience and a certificate that prove it!
Cool people, stressful job
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 13, 2017
If you are a server assistant, you don't get paid much but do most of the work. Some of the managers are pretty bad at what they do. if they do anything at all. The servers are usually pretty cool but complain about everything.
Pros
cool people
Cons
managers, not enough pay vs. work
Very Good Company- Horrible branch
Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2017
Ruths Chris is a well run company, and clients know what they are getting; a wet aged prime steak at a dry aged price. Chicago location brought in a bad crowd; hip hop industry, drug dealers, etc. New personnel were given top floor to work, which only had one Point of Sale station, had to constantly run down stairs, and got filled last(work twice as hard at half potential tips)
Very family-oriented.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSDecember 6, 2017
I loved working at Ruth's Chris because I loved my managers. They were so understanding and willing to work with you to balance your family and life. I would work here again if given the opportunity.