Ryder

Ryder United States Employee Reviews

Lack of follow through
Diesel Technician (Former Employee), phoenix azMay 4, 2015
Management had a lack of follow through, cut corners, and didn't let employees make nesseccary repairs as is it was exspensive.
Bad Management
Lead Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Newville, PAMay 1, 2015
Pros: Overtime money.
Cons: Breaks
Working there you never knew when you were going home. The supervisor was unfair. They made overtime mandatory and that was not in the contract. No room for growth.
work wise
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee), Kings Mountain, NCMay 1, 2015
I would go in everyday they would have a team meeting telling everyone what job they have. I usually had the same job everyday. the co workers was nice to be around. management was good.
Good company that could be a great company!
Branch Operations/Service Manager (Current Employee), Orange, CAApril 28, 2015
Pros: Very large and profitable company with vast opportunity, if you're willing to move to where the opportunities are.
Cons: Few incentives for salaried employees, except for a bonus based on a stacked ranking at the end of the year.
Typical workday: come in with a plan, save it til the end of the day; Few days are predictable.

What I Learned: Nuances of productivity and profitability; strategic and detailed industry knowledge

Management: Dedicated, insightful, resourceful

Co-Workers: In tune with operations and customer demands

Hardest Part of the Job: Meeting customer expectations with out-dated staffing model in relation to fast-paced customer operating tempo.
a typical day at work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee), Miami, FLApril 25, 2015
Switched trailers out at Latrobe Steel. Drove to the Franklin facility and dropped and hooked. Went to Orbit Industries in Middleburg Heights unloaded material that needed to be tested and loaded material that was tested and took it back to Franklin where I dropped and hooked and returned materal back to Latrobe
Ruin your Life.
CLM-for a minute (Former Employee), LiverpoolApril 25, 2015
Pros: Good Pay.
Cons: To many to list.
Someone posted about the Liverpool, NY CLM position above and they are 100% correct. The people in charge are liars and incompetent. They do not train, communicate, or even warn you of what their agenda may be. If they decide they don't like you, your gone, regardless of progress. I left a good career at another competitor, for 4 weeks. They started lying after 2 weeks, about what their intentions were. I've lost my home because of their disregard for common courtesy. They lie to your face and then let you go. Why Ryder employ's people with personal agendas, is totally agaist what they preach. Stay away.. To many chiefs, no indians.
Fun Place to Work
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Tempe, AZApril 22, 2015
Ryder has all the tools a mechanic needs to do their job. The people are all great to work with and willing to help each other. Very refreshing.
Overbearing corporate office; not for everyone
Commercial Driver (Current Employee), Louisville, KYApril 22, 2015
One thing for sure about Ryder is, their management is excellent. It's a solid company with a HUGE emphasis on safety. So much so that it is completely overbearing. Every month, you are required to log-in to this software known as "Pro-tread" and complete a new topic. Also you must do an even more thorough topic quarterly. It is the most annoying and demoralizing part of my job. Not too mention, you will be inundated with correspondence in the mail detailing any safety violations the system thinks you have. Regardless of whether or not they are excused. It is literally pushing me away from this company. Additionally their benefits aren't that great. If you have a family, be prepared to pay around $400.00 a month for medical. What I hate about this is the union guys pay a fraction of that, yet, we work for the same company. How the heck is that fair? Had I known, I would never have accepted their job offer. On my way out the door asap.
Productive and great work place
Technical Support (Current Employee), Orlando, FLApril 20, 2015
What I enjoy the most about my job at Ryder is the constant learning of new things such as programs and softwares. Everyday is the same but yet different based on a technician's need. My team consist of 13 locations throughout the South East states and are a wonderful group to work with. The hardest part of my job is not being able to for fill a technicians request due to a shortage of supply.
Fast paced intellectually stimulating work environment
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Reading, PAApril 20, 2015
Pros: Good 401K match contribution
Cons: Working long hours and weekends.
Multi-tasking is a must in this environment. A typical day at work can involve many tasks from reviewing customer orders, driver payroll to arranging collect freight shipments.

The hardest part of the job is learning the customer is always right, even when they may not be, and that blame must be placed instead of finding solutions.
They are third party logistic service provider.
Dock Clerk/Scheduler (Former Employee), Haltom City, TXApril 14, 2015
Pros: Great place to learn a trade in logistics.
Cons: No job security.
They own nothing, so your job is tied to the contracts they get and lose. No real level of job security. Also so since they are a contractor your compensation is based on the contract.
easy laid back work place.
Operator (Current Employee), University Center MIApril 8, 2015
Pros: free lunch during meets. Guaranteed hours. Time for homework.
Cons: litle hands on or time on feet
A typical work day is from 1:30-5:30 Monday-Friday. Come in sit at desk and take homework out while making sure the Fieldhouse has only track runners or softball players in there. Some Fridays and Saturdays are all day indoor track and field meets where I would do numerous things ranging from setting up hurdle's, to keeping score of jump distances. Very easy laid back job, Meets always ran super long from about 9am-7pm but lunch was provided and breaks were given whenever needed.
Very good place to work
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCApril 6, 2015
Loved my job at Ryder. They take care of you if they can. A typical day was usually always busy. I learned a lot from working there. Management was very fair. Co-workers were very nice and helped with something if you did not understand.
Under paid, under appreciated, no help
Service Manager (Current Employee), South Western, PaApril 6, 2015
Pros: If you don't like being home with your family... this is the job for you!
Cons: System is terrible, No transparency from the top down Differing instructions from upper management, Conference calls are never ending.
Antiquated systems running on sub-par infrastructure add to the madness that is being a service manager. You can spend 10 hours a day just running reports and never step foot on the shop floor. 'Operations director has said ' You're either stupid or you don't care' and 'I don't care how many hours you work' to me. My direct supervisor is overloaded, doesn't have time to assist with anything. Easily buried in email and paperwork daily. Plan on working every night, and all weekend. Company in our unit is run by a scorecard, not customer satisfaction.
Each Day presents a different challenge.
Logistics Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 4, 2015
A typical day at Ryder, includes managing the night operations for Shell, Devon, and Chevron as our major oil and gas accounts. Each day presents a new experience or challenge, everyday is the night the same. Commenting on co-workers will be difficult due to working night operations, I do not interact with my co-workers and I am always working alone. I may see some of my peers that works days once a year. The hardest part of my job is trying to resolve serious issues at 3:00 am, but the most enjoyable is the ability to be granted the authority to make senior management decisions.
Do Not Waste your time
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 2, 2015
Pros: Free safety lunches
Cons: no advancement, not properly used
I feel there is no room for advancement, ask for it and work your butt off and still nothing. They don't trust the judgement of techs to properly complete a job. They sweep a lot of problems under the rug, hoping they go away only to find out some other shop has to fix them. I feel like I work at a band aid shop more than an actual truck shop. drivers are always complaining about how the shop is ran and the quality of certain shifts work.
It's an okay place to work if they had new management.
Dispatcher (Current Employee), Houma, LAMarch 31, 2015
I would come in and start working right away. Management says one thing and does something else or forgets what "he" said. Communication is a major problem between all employees due to management not being upfront with all employees. Blame is given to the wrong person(s). I would say there is definitely favoritism going on in this particular office! My co-workers are nice. The hardest part of the job was having to take the blame for someone else's mistake(s). I enjoyed that we could laugh and joke with each until they took that away too! It was getting ridiculous there with management.
Great group of people to work with
Customer Care Credit Associate II (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: Encouragement from team mates
Cons: Health care benefits i.e., sick days are very poor
I have been with Ryder for more than 11 years, greatest group of co workers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. They are always willing to help and give personal and professional encouragement.
Great pay
Lift Truck Operator (Current Employee), Macon, GAMarch 28, 2015
Pros: Advancement with company
Cons: Working in freezer
A Great company to work for. Working in -10 freezer can bring health problems over time. Over time is always available. Production is easy to make in all tasks.
Little Advancement
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Miami, FLMarch 25, 2015
After years of conducting research, one cannot express the frustration that comes with seeing all your work go neglected by superiors with alternative agendas.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ryder

Ryder System, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 500 provider of leading-edge transportation, logistics and supply chain management solutions. – Read more

Ryder Salaries